Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

If anyone can stand to get even angrier, and you haven't yet read reports about the sex offender who murdered two women and kept their remains in a freezer, the BBC have got a piece that highlights what I'm sure are only a portion of the ways in which the Met Police completely hosed up
This just further convinces me that if we ended the drug war in full and decriminalized sex work and handed it over to sex worker's unions then a whole bunch more evil could be ended. And also that the CPS and Met Police can't be trusted with monopoly.

16 is an age that can be trusted with voting but not with Toby Young being within 100 yards of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Tories have probably completely killed the UK food export industry and triggered food shortages in Northern Ireland.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

What should she have done?

She wasn't tough enough and wouldn't have been able to carry the party with her. RLB as leader would have meant 4 years of interviewers bellowing accusations at her, with her apologising for stuff while looking super-nervous and uncomfortable. I'm sure her principles are decent enough but you need someone with fire in their belly to stand up and fight for them.

Look at how she dutifully grovelled around during the leadership election, agreeing that Labour was super anti-semitic and how sorry she was for that, then subsequently getting monstered for it anyway. Her as leader would have played out scenes like that on a daily basis.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

kingturnip posted:

If anyone can stand to get even angrier, and you haven't yet read reports about the sex offender who murdered two women and kept their remains in a freezer, the BBC have got a piece that highlights what I'm sure are only a portion of the ways in which the Met Police completely hosed up

Jesus Christ that’s depressing

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

She wasn't tough enough and wouldn't have been able to carry the party with her. RLB as leader would have meant 4 years of interviewers bellowing accusations at her, with her apologising for stuff while looking super-nervous and uncomfortable. I'm sure her principles are decent enough but you need someone with fire in their belly to stand up and fight for them.

Look at how she dutifully grovelled around during the leadership election, agreeing that Labour was super anti-semitic and how sorry she was for that, then subsequently getting monstered for it anyway. Her as leader would have played out scenes like that on a daily basis.

Yeah it would have been Ed Milliband 2.0, though that’s probably still better than what we ended up with

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I don't know what you mean mate I read an article the other day by John Crace who said that Keer Sterner took a dump on Boris during PMQs and rubbed his face in it afterwards hahaha

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Isn't it loving baffling that The Independent has just gotten away with straight up publishing an "anti-semitic conspiracy theory"? Like something so awful that the second place potential leader of the opposition and shadow cabinet member gets sacked for retweeting it you'd think it would demand some level of introspection at least from the wider establishment media actively complicit in such evil but nope, memory holed, served its purpose now we'll all just forget about it.

The editor of the Independent showed up on twitter agreeing that it was right that she was sacked for liking an article is his own paper

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Qwertycoatl posted:

The editor of the Independent showed up on twitter agreeing that it was right that she was sacked for liking an article is his own paper

why do you think this is some great gotcha?
reporting that Peake said a thing doesn't mean that the paper endorses that statement. and the editorial had already added a correction to the article anyway.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pret have taken the standard coffee shop "buy 9 get 1 free" loyalty card to the next level.
Adopting the gym model of a monthly subscription that hopefully you'll keep paying for even when not using.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/04/pret-offers-monthly-subscription-to-boost-post-covid-pandemic-sales

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cerv posted:

why do you think this is some great gotcha?
reporting that Peake said a thing doesn't mean that the paper endorses that statement. and the editorial had already added a correction to the article anyway.
The narrative is that it was an antisemitic thing to say, & the article wasn't reporting that Peake had been antisemitic, so yeah if the editor is gonna endorse that narrative then they should also resign for giving the thumbs-up to print what they now think is antisemitic & a resignation issue

e: what I'm saying is that there's a huge difference between reporting "so-and-so said antisemitic thing, how awful" & "here's our cool & good interview with so-and-so". If the editor did the latter when they're now saying it should have been the former, they are admitting that they consider their own work antisemitic & should resign

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 4, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Apologies for posting my own tweet but lol

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1301786297099485184
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1301792727848423424?s=20

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1301793687555407878
"nuh uh :smuggo:"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

Pret have taken the standard coffee shop "buy 9 get 1 free" loyalty card to the next level.
Adopting the gym model of a monthly subscription that hopefully you'll keep paying for even when not using.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/04/pret-offers-monthly-subscription-to-boost-post-covid-pandemic-sales

Subscription-service coffee :psyduck:

It's desperate, but it makes sense. Gyms absolutely coin it by having contracts that people struggle (or forget to) get out of, and they were able to keep raking it in after lockdown for a short while at least.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah... reinforcing that I made exactly the right decision to not fund these twats any more.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Camrath posted:

All fudge orders have now shipped!

So keep an eye on those mailboxes people! Also, as it’s still possibly going to be warm and/or humid, I still strongly recommend keeping the fudgey goodness in the fridge if you can.

Enjoy :)

Mine arrived today, thanks Camrath! Very excited to gorge on all of this goodness.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Keir got the IRA sympathiser treatment this week :laugh:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Boris' default retort is TLOTO is an IRA supporter, hasn't yet moved on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah, except Keir was - on this occasion at least - able to point out that Boris made Claire Fox a peer, when she defended the Warrington bombing.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/axe2grind/status/1301789682506838016

:shepicide:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, except Keir was - on this occasion at least - able to point out that Boris made Claire Fox a peer, when she defended the Warrington bombing.

Did he, though?

And Boris has to continue with the same attacks on Starmer as on Corbyn, because otherwise he has to retrain the dogs to learn who is the Other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I may be rather heavy but I resent being called a whole group of ex labour supporters.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

keep punching joe posted:

:thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just remembered norman tebbit is still alive.

E: Or at least is not officially dead, he's competing with philip for least alive looking self propelled entity.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

Did he, though?

Not at PMQs, no, it was noticeably absent in his reply.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

he's competing with philip for least alive looking self propelled entity.
What does it mean to be 'alive'? At a basic level, viruses are proteins and genetic material that survive and replicate within their environment, inside another life form. In the absence of their host, viruses are unable to replicate and many are unable to survive for long in the extracellular environment. Therefore, if they cannot survive independently, can they be defined as being 'alive'?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Some very normal work texts that you'd send to your boss with absolutely no repercussions.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1301810193366384640

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

lol even in his fabricated texts he still gets the 'new phone who dis'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cerv posted:

I feel like there's a certain breed of Job Creator who is absolutely kicking themselves that it's taken them this long to realise they can put anything and everything on a subscription service. Like imagine your entire worldview holds landlordism as the ideal end goal and it never occurred to you to just apply the rentier model to all goods and services.

Can't wait until I have to sign up for a three-month sub to get a Greggs steak bake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Some very normal work texts that you'd send to your boss with absolutely no repercussions.

In the replies:

https://twitter.com/danfisha/status/1301820376645808129

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nobody really, like all subscription models like this its put in there to give a sense of false generosity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely the pro strat is to start a pret subscription MLM where you sell your 5 coffees to other people who then sell them on again and use their margins to buy their own pret subscription.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In news that is probably terrible for Jeremy Corbyn for some reason, looks like it has been proven that Pope Pius XII himself was complicit in the illicit baptism of Jewish infants and also the forcible deportation of Rome's Jews to Nazis, so the long-running rumors that he was a Nazi collab are true.

TACD posted:

Can't wait until I have to sign up for a foot long sub to get a Greggs steak bake

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

I went 2-3 years drinking anywhere between 5-9 strong cups a day, and I#m fome

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

if the subscription also includes delivery I'd probably do it and share them with all my friends who are just out of frame, also drinking coffee

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

lol that front page fueling Coyle's piss boiler seems to be this:

Jeremy Corbyn: Tom Watson is talking nonsense – and he knows it Detailing the assertion made by JC that Labour isn't riddled with trots at every level.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've said it before, Neil Coyle is almost certainly the "Labour MP" who spent the entirety of 2017/18/19 slagging Corbyn off in the Evening Standard.
He's also enough of a oval office to strap his baby into a harness for a photo op before he went out canvassing in 2017. Yeah, he's basically the same level of oval office as Boris Johnson.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Nah coffee is good for you.

Unlike that evil tea brew...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
fish n chips chat:

As British as fish n chips: article by Jo Brand on how refugees inspired fish n chips.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/refugee-migrants-fish-and-chips-priti-patel-jo-brand-a9700871.html

quote:

Why I'm shining a light on the refugee origins of fish and chips
At this crucial time in British politics, there has never been a more important moment to celebrate the power of standing with those who have had no choice but to flee to safety

Jo Brand

I have done a decent bit of acting in my time but I never imagined that I would play a bit of battered fish.

I was certainly curious when the International Rescue Committee asked me to star in a video about fish and chips alongside football’s Gary Lineker and the refugee and actor Yasmin Kadi.

Now, it will not come as a great galloping surprise that I love fish and chips as much as the next Brit. But what I learned is that when you delve into the history, you discover that we actually have refugees to thank for this much loved British dish.

Fried fish was originally introduced to Britain by Jewish refugees fleeing persecution in Spain and Portugal in the 16th century. Chips were likely brought over by French protestants in the 1600s.

Fish and chips – that perfect marriage of beige and batter – were first put together by another Jewish immigrant, Joseph Malin, who opened the nation’s first known fish and chip shop in London’s east end in the 1860s.

This isn’t just a fun bit of trivia. Fish and chips are just one example of the incredible contributions that refugees have made to the communities that welcome them. It has been inspiring to witness refugees – the NHS doctors, the mask-makers, the community volunteers – step up to help during the coronavirus pandemic.

Yet, countries around the world are turning their backs on them. Only a tiny percentage of refugees have been given the chance to rebuild their lives in safety. In the United States, the Trump administration has set refugee admission targets at a historic low. Closer to home, we are seeing countries across Europe closing their doors to refugees.

This is a question that goes to the heart of British values. When I think of Britain, I think of a country of compassion and welcome. After all, refugees have always contributed to this country, and we should give them every opportunity to do so now.

That’s why the unusual origins of fish and chips is a lesson for today. When we welcome refugees, they bring more than their belongings. They bring hard work, potential, and contributions.

When we welcome refugees, they thrive, they make our communities stronger and more dynamic. Refugees make our country a better place. After all, can you imagine a Britain without fish and chips?

At this crucial time in British politics, there has never been a more important time to celebrate the power of welcoming and standing with refugees.

After finding myself rendered a talking fish, giving Lineker a lesson on the origins of fish and chips, I’ve never been so happy to be on the right side of history.

Or should I say, fish-story.

Mind you I find it hard to believe that no one in Britain fried a fish before the 16th century!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nah coffee is good for you.

Unlike that evil tea brew...
If a hog is fed on hops and barley it grows fat and healthy, but if it be fed on nothing but tea leaves it quickly sickens. What of the English working man who sickens himself with tea instead of hearty ale?