Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

IronicDongz posted:

also the early lost bastile area with the dogs+crossbowmen on wood platforms and a pursuer is by far one of the hardest fights in the whole game if you do it when you first come there

You can kill most of the enemies there before he spawns if you don't take the ladder but jump off the broken bit of battlements. And if you have a bow then it's even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Only two Pursuer locations really matter. Forest where you get the RoB, and Iron Keep where you get the RoB +1. All the other ones are just souls and some twinkle sprinkle.

There might be an achievement for getting them all? Not sure. If there is, it's going to require NG+ anyway.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Look Sir Droids posted:

There might be an achievement for getting them all? Not sure.

Nope.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you stick to the pursuer like glue and circle strafe right, the only attack that can actually hit you is the shield swipe in the three hit combo (and maybe that really rare sweep attack finisher that occurs if youre a specific distance away from him). It makes the Bastille fight way easier since you only need to dodge one move in his entire kit.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
You'll get really good at fighting The Pursuer and it feels great once you've figured him out. I'm glad Scholar turned him into his actual namesake since it started to be like "oh come on, alright let's go fucker"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Joe Man posted:

You'll get really good at fighting The Pursuer and it feels great once you've figured him out. I'm glad Scholar turned him into his actual namesake since it started to be like "oh come on, alright let's go fucker"

This is exactly how I feel about the pursuer. Once you figure him out and school him every time it’s really satisfying. A lot more satisfying than one shotting early game enemies.

Then there’s the throne room encounter at the castle.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Thanks for the input. Going to leave it for now, come back later after doing the boss.

Is it feasible to keep using my original weapon (hand axe, now +6), ir should I be switching to something better soon?

I've gone into sinners rise, the gutter, shaded Woods etc, but haven't done much in them yet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

Thanks for the input. Going to leave it for now, come back later after doing the boss.

Is it feasible to keep using my original weapon (hand axe, now +6), ir should I be switching to something better soon?

I've gone into sinners rise, the gutter, shaded Woods etc, but haven't done much in them yet.

You can beat the game with any weapon. The Hand Axe isn't amazing, but it's perfectly serviceable, and its low requirements mean that you can afford to invest more points into defensive stats like Vigor. Other good, simple weapons are the Mace (since its high Poise damage will stagger the overwhelming majority of enemies in the game in one hit) and the Longsword (since it swings real fast, thus making it easier to get single hits in between guarding or dodge rolling).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres another strength-scaling axe out there (bandit axe) thats almost strictly better in the late game, but you could still beat the game with the handaxe and not feel crippled by it. The only early game weapons that I would say arent viable through the entire game are the morningstar, short sword, and short bow.

And +6 is perfectly fine for the lost bastille and probably what the difficulty is balanced around.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
e: wrong souls

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thinking about it, the only other non-ranged weapons I would say arent worth taking to +10 are the scimitar (outclassed by the falchion) and the pike. Everything else has some sort of weird edge case or move that justifies it, or the upgrade comes so late that you want a +10 weapon just to get to it. Even the pike technically has a unique moveset, it just sucks rear end compared to every other spear.

e: Wait the pike moveset isnt unique. But it still sucks!!

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 4, 2020

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Theres another strength-scaling axe out there (bandit axe) thats almost strictly better in the late game, but you could still beat the game with the handaxe and not feel crippled by it. The only early game weapons that I would say arent viable through the entire game are the morningstar, short sword, and short bow.

And +6 is perfectly fine for the lost bastille and probably what the difficulty is balanced around.

It's been a while, but doesn't the short sword have the one-handed thrusting attack they conspicuously removed from the long sword? I think I stuck to a short sword for a long time, once, just for the increased flexibility in one-handed moveset.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Do enemies have sick amounts of poise compared to DS1 and DS3, or am I doing my build wrong?

Got 40 STR, and need a 2H attack with +8 Zweihander to knock enemies on their rear end.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Do enemies have sick amounts of poise compared to DS1 and DS3, or am I doing my build wrong?

Got 40 STR, and need a 2H attack with +8 Zweihander to knock enemies on their rear end.

Some of them do. Shulva in particular is kind of infamous for being full of poise tanks, but you can find similarly armoured dudes in other areas as well.

Your strength stat or hp damage output doesn't affect poise damage at all, as far as I'm aware. There's a really good ring that makes it easier to stagger enemies though, so try using that if you aren't already.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

It's been a while, but doesn't the short sword have the one-handed thrusting attack they conspicuously removed from the long sword? I think I stuck to a short sword for a long time, once, just for the increased flexibility in one-handed moveset.

Yeah, but the moveset is shared with the foot soldier sword. Theres probably some theoretical argument to be made for the shortswords durability and marginally higher damage with scaling vs the FSS, but honestly the FSS is a bit shoddy too and only really worth using due to its range.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Define "knock enemies on their rear end". Because while there are some enemies with more poise than normal, most notably in the Sunken City, breaking poise in DS2 isn't that hard. And because this is DS2 you actually can knock enemies on their asses with the right kind of setup.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

axolotl farmer posted:

For what it's worth, poise works differently in all three souls games. If you're struggling with stunning enemies, try equipping the Stone Ring. E: And yeah, "knocking enemies on their rear end" makes me think of pancaking, which is a totally different type of stun that does actually take huge hits from great weapons.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

For what it's worth, poise works differently in all three souls games. If you're struggling with stunning enemies, try equipping the Stone Ring. E: And yeah, "knocking enemies on their rear end" makes me think of pancaking, which is a totally different type of stun that does actually take huge hits from great weapons.
If you're looking to pancake enemies - this is DS2, of course you should be - the Shulva enemies need 60+ base poise damage to be pancaked in one hit. By default you can only do this with most greathammers (not the Pickaxe or Sanctum mace) and a few ultra greatswords (FUGS, King's, Old Knight's). As noted however the Stone Ring adds +30 poise damage per hit to the point that any attack that could pancake an enemy probably will if it's not a boss or miniboss.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I'm fighting the Rampart Spearmen in Eleum Loyce, and my weapon of choice, a +10 Claymore just wasn't enough to stun them. Pancaking with the Zweihander is very satisfying, but it feels like it's a lot slower than in DS1.

Thanks for the tip about the Stone ring, why didn't I think of that?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I assume you're looking to break poise in one hit? In any case, poise in the various Dark Souls games varies:
  • In DS1, attacks diminish an invisible gauge until poise is broken. This gauge refills to full after a few seconds if no poise damage occurs.
  • In DS2, attacks diminish an invisible gauge until poise is broken. Some attacks have hyperarmor, where poise damage is reduced during an attack animation. This gauge refills at a constant but very slow rate, so poise damage is effectively permanent until poise is broken.
  • In DS3, poise only triggers in the event of hyperarmor, repeated attempts to stunlock, or specific effects that trigger it. The full explanation is...arcane.
All that said, pancaking in DS2 is very reliable. As implied above it's not the same thing as breaking poise. "Pancaking" in DS2 onwards is its own mechanic. The way it triggers is that if you would break poise with an attack, and that attack has pancaking/knockdown flagged, the enemy is additionally put into a lengthier out-of-control animation. It's very powerful when used properly, which is why it's normally pretty slow and restricted to 2HR2 animations. (A few weapons like the Bone Fist or the Smelter Hammer have broader access to it.) I dunno if it even shows up in DS1, to be honest. It does show up in Bloodborne and DS3 but is almost entirely restricted to charged 2HR2 animations, so in that regard DS2 has them beat.

In contrast the more general category of "breaking poise" is theoretically possible for any attack. If you're looking for that in DS2, then as noted and as you've surmised use the Stone Ring. It's one of the earliest rings accessible in the game and yet it's loving amazing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Stone Ring is particularly busted with fast weapons like daggers, because it adds the same flat amount of poise damage per hit. I'll never stop recommending Stone Ring + Mytha's Bent Blade (possibly Mytha's Bent Blade x2 if you like powerstancing and are willing to pop an ascetic for it) as a build.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think I used a Stone Ring + Old Knight Greathammer to flatten every one of those murderelks in the Frozen Wastes when I did my SL1 run. It takes 15 kills to make one of them go extinct and I murdered every one of them.

Gigadweeb
Sep 3, 2020

YF-23 posted:

The Stone Ring is particularly busted with fast weapons like daggers, because it adds the same flat amount of poise damage per hit. I'll never stop recommending Stone Ring + Mytha's Bent Blade (possibly Mytha's Bent Blade x2 if you like powerstancing and are willing to pop an ascetic for it) as a build.

like you aren't popping that ascetic for the +2 CSSR anyway

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YF-23 posted:

It works with spells, too. It trivializes the Havel clone in that one Abyss map, since Force with the Stone Ring is just enough to stagger him on every cast, letting you shove him off a cliff.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Control Volume posted:

Yeah, but the moveset is shared with the foot soldier sword. Theres probably some theoretical argument to be made for the shortswords durability and marginally higher damage with scaling vs the FSS, but honestly the FSS is a bit shoddy too and only really worth using due to its range.

I’ve never used the short sword much past the early game, but if I recall it has very low stamina consumption. That’s particularly nice if you power stance with it in the off hand since the straight sword power stance move set is good and it will greatly mitigate the stamina cost of dual wielding. I’m not really sure what you’d pair it with, though. Maybe an estoc?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I bounced off this game hard a long time ago but I'm giving it another shake, can anyone recommend some strong builds/weapons I should keep my eyes peeled for? Anything goes, STR, DEX, Sorcery, Miracles, etc.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mace is a good starter build because a lot of early enemies are weak to striking damage and it scales nicely off STR/DEX.

Honestly, I'd say DS2 is the game that lets you gently caress around with builds the most, so my instinct is just to say gently caress around, but mace isn't a bad idea for a first play through.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dual maces. The blacksmith in Majula sells them as soon as you get him his keys. Get 18 STR and 8 DEX, equip both and you can hold down Y/triangle to dual wield them. They stagger the poo poo out of stuff and have excellent STR scaling, and generally chump the early game bosses.

If you want to cast, the easiest way to get it up and running is to get 20 INT & FTH and talk to Felkin in the passage between Majula and Copse. He’ll give you his staff for free and you can buy dark orb which is spammable and hits like a truck.

Also way later in the game, if you have a strength build, check out the red iron twinblade. Completely kick rear end

Don’t forget to level ADP!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Don’t forget to put levels into adaptabilty.

e: goddammit :argh:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Oh yeah the basic DS2 advice of:
Get your Agility to 88 asap to get a decent roll. Levels come really easy and you're going to hit the soft cap on your key attributes so don't fret too much about spending points. If an area feels too hard, come back to it later; there's four main paths to pick from and they're all roughly equally hard. Forest of Fallen Giants is your Undead Burg, the path to it is on the cliff near the Majula bonfire. There's a ring that halves the max health penalty you get from dying in a chest in Heide's.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't do a single other drat thing until I get 99 agil

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm really, really not a big fan of "your HP shrinks when you die" in a game that is going to be killing you frequently. Also the weapon durability is godawful.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You can grab a mace and sleepwalk your way through the game or you can wake up and grab the grand lance from forest of fallen giants and start playing the game correctly. I'd also recommend the twin dragon greatshield from the armor shop in majula which has low requirements and weight while offering incredible defenses.

Every weapon in the game is at least decent so if you find a cool weapon that you wanna use, there aren't really any lovely noob trap weapons to worry about. Every school of magic is pretty good as well, so really just kinda experiment and see what you like.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm really, really not a big fan of "your HP shrinks when you die" in a game that is going to be killing you frequently. Also the weapon durability is godawful.

There's a ring you can get pretty early on that greatly reduces the max hp penalty for hollowing. Used to be you could get your humanity back really easily by using the small white soapstone; I can't say if the playerbase is large enough you actually get hits with it nowadays, but it's worth a shot.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I did a run through recently and there were always a few signs down so I think you'd have pretty decent luck getting summoned

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Honestly, just pop a human effigy every time you die. You'll have over a dozen by the time you clear out your first area, and you only get more as the game progresses.

Don't hoard 'em. Just pop' em and go. Throw down a small soapstone every now and then if you see player ghosts wandering around.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Like One Hundred Monkeys said, there's a ring you can get in in the Heide's Tower of Flame area that will raise the hollowed HP limit. If you're playing vanilla DS2, you'd go straight forward until you hit a fog door and it's nearby. If you're playing Scholar, it will be forward and then to the right down the other path, in a chest guarded by a dozing Heide Knight near another fog door.

Or just eat an effigy if your HP gets too low to handle an area and pop one when you start challenging a boss. You'll get plenty of effigies throughout the game, and you might be able to help out with small soapstone adventures, too.

If you find yourself despising the weapon durability, Santier's Spear is a kind of gimmicky weapon that you break to make better, which also means it effectively ignores the durability mechanic. You'd need some instructions to find it on a blind playthrough though.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 5, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Appoda posted:

Honestly, just pop a human effigy every time you die. You'll have over a dozen by the time you clear out your first area, and you only get more as the game progresses.

Don't hoard 'em. Just pop' em and go. Throw down a small soapstone every now and then if you see player ghosts wandering around.
You shouldn't hoard them but it doesn't make sense to pop one after every death. Wait a few until you're feeling the HP loss at least.

People who do not run out of effigies popping them on a whim are not the people who need any ds advice.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

IronicDongz posted:

I don't do a single other drat thing until I get 99 agil

99 is overkill for the early game and probably means you're neglecting your HP. 92 should stand you in good stead for a while.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Also the weapon durability is godawful.
Have multiple weapons equipped, and switch between them as circumstances call for. I really can't emphasize that enough. It mitigates durability concerns quite effectively, and both weapon damage types and movesets really matter so having multiple ones on hand will make your life a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
eh, early levels are cheap. and I would much rather have a better roll than more HP most of the time.