Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

KingKapalone posted:

So I got the claim and won the war to get the county. Now I just do it again for the next one over? Doesn't seem like there's much else to do while waiting for the claim to come in.

Fabricating claims is more important in the very early game, you will have more casus belli as you go on. But there are also things to do besides territorial expansion. There are pilgrimages, hunts, etc in your decisions, and focus trees will open up options like seduction.

When things are slow, turn the game speed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In the end I managed to get a game of Jaromil of Slupsk not instantly becoming unlanded. It looks like children beyond heirs are sort of randomly generated along with traits, so different marriage options become available with each play.

Anyway his corner of the world is still pretty miserable to play around in - time to delve somewhere else.

I feel like I really really want to generate hooks on other people more, but outside of fabricating them myself it looks like I need my spymaster to do it - which I think only works on my own court?

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
what actually makes someone the dynasty head, I can't find this information anywhere. I lost it and its dancing between my landless nephews and now my son.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I managed to form Italia, with my second ruler

It came down to the wire because I contracted leprosy at age 58 so I had to bust my rear end to get out of the HRE and then declare on my nephew for the Kingdom of Sardinia to nab the last few provinces. Surprisingly I only had to murder 2 family members to get everything done. Leaving the HRE was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I murdered 4 consecutive Emperors (3 of which were von Babenburgs) until the liberty faction had over 600% power and the Emperor, a 6 year old stricken with bubonic plague, granted independence without a fight. Next project will be to kick the Byzantines out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hang on, is it possible to nudge already established religions? Can I gradually make Orthodox close to Hellenic before the final jump on without establising a new faith?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Freudian slippers posted:

I could use some help here. I've got a courtier with a useful unpressed claim, but I can't for the life of me understand how I press it. I can go to war against the current owner and use "Claim country", but that would just give me the county (which I could then pass on to the claimant, sure), but I want to press his claim and I don't understand how. There's no casus belli for "Press character X's claim to county Y".

Pressing a claim is going to war. The difference between a pressed and unpressed claim is that pressed claims can be inherited. In your case you're best off just pressing that guys claim and winning the war. There are situations where, say, you have an unpressed claim on a kingdom and while you have no hope right now of winning that war, you do it anyway to press the claim. You lose, but then your kids have a claim on the kingdom and maybe they're better equipped to do it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there any real benefit to being at Absolute Tribal Authority if you aren't able to immediately go Feudal?

The vassal penalty is like the only real thing that actually changes, and for the worse?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else feel the eduction traits are completely random? I can educate someone from start to finish on martial focus and on a 4 star martial expert guardian, and they'll still end up with a 2 star stewardship perk.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone else feel the eduction traits are completely random? I can educate someone from start to finish on martial focus and on a 4 star martial expert guardian, and they'll still end up with a 2 star stewardship perk.

There's a super hidden in the UI selection on the kid themselves where the lifestyle would be, that determines what kind of education they get.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

There's a super hidden in the UI selection on the kid themselves where the lifestyle would be, that determines what kind of education they get.

That's what I meant with the martial focus.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

So my wife died, to relieve stress i went on a hunt, got the chance to murder my lovely heir I was legit concerned about, married his widow that i didn't notice was a dwarf when I set her up with my heir and then married her ‘cuz prestige and hit exhaulted among men :allears:

Also turns out making friends with everyone and helping Louis the Stammerer take the throne of East Francia thus helping him form Francia is an amazing way to pick up a poo poo ton of vassals in gratitude :stare: I think I doubled the size of my duchy.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Kyle Hyde posted:

Pressing a claim is going to war. The difference between a pressed and unpressed claim is that pressed claims can be inherited. In your case you're best off just pressing that guys claim and winning the war. There are situations where, say, you have an unpressed claim on a kingdom and while you have no hope right now of winning that war, you do it anyway to press the claim. You lose, but then your kids have a claim on the kingdom and maybe they're better equipped to do it.

Well yes, but shouldn't there be two different casus belli options? Even with a claimant in my court I only have the same CB I've always had (concquer single country as tribal). There seems to be no point in having a claimant in my court. Basically, I want him to have the "pressed my claim" positive modifier.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

No, I have not seen that at all. The level varies, obviously, but the kind of education has always been right for me. I wonder if your guardians died, or something.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder if they are gonna change the disinherit mechanic, it really makes succession a non-issue and you don't even have to bother with the succesion laws. It would also be nice to have a button to "imprison all with a 100 % chance" since having to do it manually with 25 people when you are an Emperor is quite tiresome.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Freudian slippers posted:

Well yes, but shouldn't there be two different casus belli options? Even with a claimant in my court I only have the same CB I've always had (concquer single country as tribal). There seems to be no point in having a claimant in my court. Basically, I want him to have the "pressed my claim" positive modifier.

Oh, yeah it should be its own CB option. I don't remember exactly what it says, but it should say both on the button and explain that he gets the title in the details. It's definitely distinct from the standard tribal conquest CB. Is the title he's a claimant to a neighboring county? If so, then the tribal CB is probably better because it just gives you control of the county rather than him. If you definitely wanted to vassalize him, then he would gain that modifier after you conquered his claim and he became your vassal.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The special CBs you get from Diplomacy tree (force vassalize and ducal conquest) - are they only available if both you and the target are independent? I got both on my Matilda run, but can't force vassalize, say, Naples or Capua.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I wonder if they are gonna change the disinherit mechanic, it really makes succession a non-issue and you don't even have to bother with the succesion laws. It would also be nice to have a button to "imprison all with a 100 % chance" since having to do it manually with 25 people when you are an Emperor is quite tiresome.

When I looked at it the disinherit option it seemed quite expensive in terms of renown? Like I don't see how you'd ever get any of the dynasty perks if you are disinheriting a few kids each generation, though I guess that depends on how much you're getting a month. I haven't been able to play a lot but that was my assumption anyway.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had issues with Game Pass cloud saving? It looks like I just lost 50 years of an ironman game save and that’s a bummer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arbite posted:

Hang on, is it possible to nudge already established religions? Can I gradually make Orthodox close to Hellenic before the final jump on without establising a new faith?

You can make a new Orthodox faith that has all the tenants and beliefs of Hellenism, but it will not make converting to Hellenism easier. At this point I do not think it is possible to legitimately convert to Hellenism because I've tried bloody everything. If you're a reformed faith you are at a 1100% penalty in terms of piety cost. If you're unreformed it's only a mere 600% but of course you can't make your tenants similar to get the base down. Even with the apostate perk, it does not work how it should, I took it as a pagan but it only reduced the cost of going Hellenic from 38k to 33k instead of the 75% i thought it would be. I'm assuming it just means the -100% from different faith penalty is just a 25% penalty when I thought it applied to the whole drat thing. This is for the record, the cheapest I've seen it. On an Islamic character who made a variant of Islam that was exactly the same as Hellenism it was something even more absurd like 64k.

It's been a goal of mine since the game came out to find a way to do it, and unless it's an event tied to reforming the Roman Empire I have not found a way to do so. (Beyond just console commanding yourself the piety.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 4, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Kyle Hyde posted:

Oh, yeah it should be its own CB option. I don't remember exactly what it says, but it should say both on the button and explain that he gets the title in the details. It's definitely distinct from the standard tribal conquest CB. Is the title he's a claimant to a neighboring county? If so, then the tribal CB is probably better because it just gives you control of the county rather than him. If you definitely wanted to vassalize him, then he would gain that modifier after you conquered his claim and he became your vassal.

Yeah, I can certainly use the tribal CB and then give him the title, it's just weird that the game tells me I can press his claim, but there seems to be no actual way to do it.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Going full Gallant as vikings is hilarious. You can easily take on armies twice or triple your size. It basically turns your champions into supermen.

The best thing about a gallant viking ? Three concubines to romance, get children with and replace with fresh war captives once they are no longer fertile. So many kids, so much fame !

And my King survived until 80, always leading an army. Went from count to king of Norway, Sweden and Denmark. And thanks to scandinavian elective, his heir got to keep it all. Which I do not really understand - I expect to keep the three kingdoms and everything inside, but I even kept the random provinces in Ireland and Spain some of my vassals got.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I found that playing Pagan in 867 Burma is rather good start for getting hang of the game. You start with one duchy and you are stronger than your neighbors, so you can safely expand while tending to other stuff.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

When I looked at it the disinherit option it seemed quite expensive in terms of renown? Like I don't see how you'd ever get any of the dynasty perks if you are disinheriting a few kids each generation, though I guess that depends on how much you're getting a month. I haven't been able to play a lot but that was my assumption anyway.

It's not too expensive and disinheriting 2-3 kids to ensure a smooth succession makes your expansion so much easier. However, the caveat is that I have the Empire of Francia and 5-6 dynasty members as vassal Kings so renown comes very quickly for me.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wonder if there's any limit to how many 3D models the game can display at once

How cool would it be if you could bring up a screen with all your immediate family gathered around, maybe with different expressions depending on how harmonious everyone is feeling.

Or a view of all your council, or all your knights...

It would look really cool but would also help with remembering characters.

edit: oh I just realised the council screen already uses 3D portraits, that's cool and shows it's possible to have a bunch on screen at once.

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 4, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Quantum Shart posted:

I passed Scandinavian Elective, hooked a number of electors and forced them to all vote for my nominated heir across 6 kingdoms.
Or rush for Empire of Scandinavia and make that your primary title.

Empire of Scandinavia is going to be tough because that involves picking up a lot of Finland, I think? Anyway, I don't have the prestige to make everything Scandinavian Elective (and elective is kinda worrisome in general), but could I, say, make the Kingdom of Norway have elective succession and vote for my preferred heir to inherit Norway and leave Sweden (my primary title) on confederate partition to ensure my heir gets both of those titles at least? It's not terribly concerning if his 1-year old uncle gets England after that, my heir is second in line to inherit so that could probably be arranged after Ironside dies.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So my Duke has basically met Tyrion, a lowborn dwarf of arrogant, cynical repute that my character found amusing because he pissed off all the highborn vassals in a banquet one evening. We became good friends and I saw opportunity in him as his skills in intrigue far outmatched my current spymaster. I gave him a small title of Mayor of one of my cities and invited him on my council, his loyalty and skill proving invaluable. Little did I realise he also had a claim to the County in a rival Duchy. I'm now contemplating the effort it would take to install him at said County.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 4, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Eimi posted:

It's been a goal of mine since the game came out to find a way to do it, and unless it's an event tied to reforming the Roman Empire I have not found a way to do so. (Beyond just console commanding yourself the piety.)
I've always assumed that it's a decision tied to some cultures/starts/whatever.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

It's not too expensive and disinheriting 2-3 kids to ensure a smooth succession makes your expansion so much easier. However, the caveat is that I have the Empire of Francia and 5-6 dynasty members as vassal Kings so renown comes very quickly for me.

Ah I got you. I'm still just a pissant king of ireland with a small dynasty, so it seemed pretty hefty to me. Maybe they should make the cost rise commensurate with your renown income, so it's always a painful decision even when you're a huge, powerful dynasty.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I wish you could rename kids, especially kids you didn't name in the first place. I know it's not realistic but after the 10th Brian in a row...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I got tired of stabbing people in the face with a sword as Murchad so I started a new game as the King of Leon to stab people in the back with a dagger.

It's really nice to have godly intrigue + 2 brothers that are kings and you're their direct heir since they have no kids. I murdered the King of Galicia first because it was much, much easier and I thought I was the direct heir but I actually misread it, so his kingdom went to my rival Sancho the King of Castile.

Well no biggie, just let me fabricate a couple hooks in his court and murder him too; in the time that took he had an heir, but hey, murdering an infant child is even easier and I could even re-use the strong hooks I used to get the courtiers in the plan to kill his father. No one ever suspected me. Also the infant was at war with Navarra and had almost won already, so I just mopped up that war and ended up with all 4 kingdoms: Leon, Galicia, Castile and Navarra. I clicked real fast on that Unite the Spanish thrones decision (in hindsight I might've waited a bit more since I'm still young and could've probably conquered another kingdom before clicking, but eh, better safe than sorry) - it's great to have a unified kingdom with an extra level of crown authority thrown in for free, too.

Now my wife gave me a daughter, is pregnant with another child (let's hope it's a son!) and my lover-sister is also pregnant with my bastard (yeah). I have to redistribute some counties and duchies to make sure no one is too pissed at me and life should be good.

Can't wait to see how I will gently caress it up. The muslims to the south are juicy targets but I'm a bit afraid of getting the entire muslim world banging on my doorstep if I declare holy wars ... might be better to finish gobbling up the Christians first?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Oh God, I holy warred for England as Irish separate religionists. I won!

The resulting rebellions were of some 30k peasants, and then a 40k crusade followed :(

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

and then a 40k crusade followed :(

Don’t think that mod’s been spun up yet, give it time.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
How do you revoke multiple titles at once? I just put down a rebellion, have all the leaders in jail, so I have a valid reason to take them. However, it's only good once, and any revoked after that still incur tyranny. Shift + click doesn't work, and some of them are only presented one at a time, making it doubly impossible. The weird thing is, I know I did this just fine last night after a similar rebellion, which is also how I learned to always go for 100% war score on those things no matter how pressed I am.

I suppose I could just leave them in jail, but without loyal Russians who believe the same things my dad made up about 30 years ago it'll just happen again in 10-12 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AnEdgelord posted:

So in a moment of extreme weakness in england I managed to hook the king into marrying his only daughter,

I've read your entire post, and I'll stop you right there.

OK, now you're playing Crusader Kings. What did you want help with again?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This game is causing serious damage to my sleep schedule.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I managed to bumble my way from lowly Bohemian duke to uniting all the western Slavs into one single Bohemian kingdom 3 generations later.

Do I even want to try to attempt uniting all of the Slavs?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

fuf posted:

How cool would it be if you could bring up a screen with all your immediate family gathered around

It's not quite what you want but I'll mention it because it took me ages to notice - when you're at a feast there's a little button for it on the map, and clicking it shows all the feasters round the table.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Oh dear me posted:

It's not quite what you want but I'll mention it because it took me ages to notice - when you're at a feast there's a little button for it on the map, and clicking it shows all the feasters round the table.

woah that sounds really cool, I totally missed that

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I swear I found it earlier but can't find it again - is there a way to see which religions control x amount of counties, like the old ledgers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

I swear I found it earlier but can't find it again - is there a way to see which religions control x amount of counties, like the old ledgers?

i saw a button in the religion screen that brought out a comparison, id take a pic but im at work