Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely cannot believe that the country which will put any part of any animal into a pie, did not have the concept of frying fish in batter until someone brought it over from spain in the seventeeth loving century.

Like britain had firearms before it had fried fish, what kind of idiot island am I living on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Grandma's alright (from the BSS thread, posted by user How Wonderful!)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

TACD posted:

Can't wait until I have to sign up for a three-month sub to get a Greggs steak bake

Stuck in the fast track queue with my sausage rolls with all the other mugs who pay £7.99 a month for Greggs Premium

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nah coffee is good for you.

Unlike that evil tea brew...

DON'T YOU EVEN DARE :mad:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

TACD posted:

I feel like there's a certain breed of Job Creator who is absolutely kicking themselves that it's taken them this long to realise they can put anything and everything on a subscription service. Like imagine your entire worldview holds landlordism as the ideal end goal and it never occurred to you to just apply the rentier model to all goods and services.

Can't wait until I have to sign up for a three-month sub to get a Greggs steak bake

If there's a level that gets me 5 a day that's fine by me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

My mum.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Guavanaut posted:

What does it mean to be 'alive'? At a basic level, viruses are proteins and genetic material that survive and replicate within their environment, inside another life form. In the absence of their host, viruses are unable to replicate and many are unable to survive for long in the extracellular environment. Therefore, if they cannot survive independently, can they be defined as being 'alive'?

He is more of a parasite than virus.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1301822074982404096

you can't cancel me I'm cancelling you

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I bet people would legitimately pay a disgusting amount of money for a Starbucks Extra subscription which gets you access to the seasonal flavour lattes a week earlier

E: Greggs Premium guarantees you pizza slices not more than 30 minutes old. Primark Plus gives access to larger fitting rooms with no queues. oh christ I can see the future, help

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 4, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

I used to have one really strong coffee when I woke up, and then had at least two at work. And those two each had two of the nasty Nescafe sachets in them - so it probably worked out to 5+ normal strength coffees in total.

I'm still here but I crashed hard at 3pm every day and felt like utter poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I used to drink half a big jar of Nescafe a day when I was unemployed playing Quake 3 and Counterstrike.
Man that was a weird time, no sense of day or night.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I used to drink two a day at work; stopped drinking coffee completely since lockdown. Oddly, hasn't made much difference to me really.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The new BBC Director General has warned that he won't tolerate presenters mouthing off with political opinions on social media. This is a policy that will definitely be equitably applied, so I'm sure Andrew Neil should be nervous.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I drink between 500ml and a litre of cold brew coffee in a work day. Usually all before lunch, I try not to drink coffee after 2pm. I'm not sure how many Pret lattes that equates to but I haven't died yet.

I mean sometimes I want to die but I don't think that's the coffee's fault.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely cannot believe that the country which will put any part of any animal into a pie, did not have the concept of frying fish in batter until someone brought it over from spain in the seventeeth loving century.

Like britain had firearms before it had fried fish, what kind of idiot island am I living on?

Mediaeval fried fish was a thing, I believe, it's the 'dredge it in flour first' bit we hadn't come up with. Or, possibly, we had - it's not a radical concept - but it just never took off countrywide til the Sephardic Jews turned up.

(This was bad for Jeremy Corbyn)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Neil Coyle is about to go nuts and slice his nipple off while Jezza comes up with the next great Pepsi ad? :shobon::hf::awesomelon:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

What does it mean to be 'alive'? At a basic level, viruses are proteins and genetic material that survive and replicate within their environment, inside another life form. In the absence of their host, viruses are unable to replicate and many are unable to survive for long in the extracellular environment. Therefore, if they cannot survive independently, can they be defined as being 'alive'?

... and if viruses are alive does that mean prions are alive?

[exhales] woah

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TACD posted:

I bet people would legitimately pay a disgusting amount of money for a Starbucks Extra subscription which gets you access to the seasonal flavour lattes a week earlier
I refuse to believe that anybody actually likes Starbucks

e: those suffragette cartoons are wicked btw, thanks HDS :)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

(10-12 nescafes a day, probably equiv to 4 filter coffees. Yes I'm fat, always tired and my hands are oddly shakey)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

TACD posted:

E: Greggs Premium guarantees you pizza slices not more than 30 minutes old. Primark Plus gives access to larger fitting rooms with no queues. oh christ I can see the future, help

Waiting time at our tills is currently: 25 minutes.
Buy a Q-Jumper ticket now for only £4.99!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

knox_harrington posted:

[exhales] woah

no

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Fudge arrived. I'm going to stick it in the fridge to firm up a bit but I obviously had to taste test a little bit of each.

It's all delicious. If I had to rank the flavoured ones it'd be Eton Mess > Apple Pie > Russian Revolution > Great Divider. The plain/vanilla lot is excellent too. Thanks Camrath!

... and now to see exactly how little self-control I have.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Installing a catform next to my desk was the best idea ever.

I just put in an offer on a flat partially because the owners had a chatty cat in there when I arrived.

It's made me miss my old cat, but I've never had to go through the early stages of cat ownership. How long does training them to use the litter box etc take? Do you keep your inside? I grew up in the middle of nowhere so we just used to let them roam free.

In other news my fudge arrived today!

Smells amazing! And the small but of apple pie I tried was simply divine!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fudge arrived. My parents were delighted by the chocolate orange. The UKMT may judge them accordingly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

[exhales] woah
They're corrupt and turn everything they touch to poo poo, so there's good evidence that they occupy the same dead-alive niche as Prince Philip.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SpaceCommie posted:

It's made me miss my old cat, but I've never had to go through the early stages of cat ownership. How long does training them to use the litter box etc take? Do you keep your inside? I grew up in the middle of nowhere so we just used to let them roam free.

My cat is and always has been an indoors cat - that's unusual in the UK but fairly common in America which is where I've owned most of my cats. I do have a reasonably big space though, if you've got like a 1 bedroom apartment that might not be so good.

You don't really need to train cats to use a litterbox, assuming you're not getting a newborn or something I guess which you really shouldn't, they're not ready to leave their mother til maybe 8 weeks. Just point them at it and instinct will take over.

Make sure to get your cat spayed/neutered. Especially if it's a boy cat and you don't want it scent marking everything in sight.

In general though, cats are pretty low maintenance. Provide food, provide water, provide toys/stimulation, clean their poo, and they're good to go.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Fudge arrived. My parents were delighted by the chocolate orange. The UKMT may judge them accordingly.

Guavanaut posted:

They're corrupt and turn everything they touch to poo poo, so there's good evidence that they occupy the same dead-alive niche as Prince Philip.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm gonna start eating sugar again at the time that camrath becomes a multinational and starts cost cutting

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

God, the Great British Public (Twitter User Division) really are thick.

"Why do you have to be political Co-op, why can't you stick to being a convenience store?"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jfc that pret deal is just insane, 150 coffees for 20 quid a month, i’m almost tempted but i’d feel bad about all the plastic waste

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BalloonFish posted:

"Why do you have to be political Co-op, why can't you stick to being a convenience store?"

At least the replies gave my blocking finger some good exersize.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm gonna start eating sugar again at the time that camrath becomes a multinational and starts cost cutting

Never going to happen.

At the moment I’m a solo operation, but my plan is to be at the stage of needing to hire folk on in 2022 or so; not sure on the exact mechanism to use but I’d be wanting to hire young school leavers or long term unemployed and provide food hygiene training, a better-than-living wage etc. Try and do good (or at least the least harm) while taking part in capitalism.

Multinational status will never happen with that approach and frankly I’m happy with that.

Also glad the goodies are arriving! Enjoy, everyone :)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

SpaceCommie posted:

I just put in an offer on a flat partially because the owners had a chatty cat in there when I arrived.

My kitties (now dear departed) were 8 weeks old when I got them and they already knew how to use a litter tray. I guess their mothers teach them!

I kept them in for the first year (ground floor flat, Walthamstow) because the flat was so near the road, market etc. (When I was a teen, we had a little kitten a few weeks old and my dad made her go out the cat flap - he had stern views about cats should be outside at night - which faced on the road and the inevitable happened the first time she went out, completely unaware of roads, cars etc).

Then I took girlie walkies on a cat harness to sniff round the back garden and get used to the smells and familiarize herself with my window then let her off the harness and also I put her in the cat cage and took her about balanced on top of my shopping trolley (don't mock - just about everyone in Walthamstow had one back in the day - useful for fetching large bags of kitty litter, doing a weekly shop, bringing self-build cupboards back from Argos etc) to get used to the sounds and smells of the city.

My very shy boy would not have the harness at all and sat on the window sill for several weeks watching my girlie jump in and out exploring the garden before he tentatively, one day, jumped off the window sill and back on again sharpish. He gradually got more confident and then used to roam quite far around all the back gardens.

(Btw if anyone has an elderly cat who has arthritic hips and can't get in the litter box easily or at all like my boy when he was old, I bought puppy pads and placed them around the litter tray and he went on those.)

My boy was a bit dense. He couldn't figure out the cat flap between the living room and the unheated icy cold kitchen until girlie went through it a few times and he watched her closely.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

"Individuals are free to vote with their wallets."
*a literal co-operative that elects its management votes with its wallet*
"No, not like that."

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

SpaceCommie posted:

I’ve been lucky in that Bob was a domesticated adult and both Digby and Rosa knew how to use the litter tray when they arrived. Digby and Bob are allowed out the back of the house (into the estate rather than towards the A406) during the day, but Rosa is still under house arrest. We normally keep them confined to quarters for at least a month when they first arrive, so they properly establish here as ‘home’. Rosa though will probably not be going out until we move. Once we do, I can see giving them a lot more freedom- the road the house is on is a quiet B road, there’s a big garden and a lot of woodland and fields around the area.

I am expecting Bob and Rosa to go full-on murderbot there. Rosa is already a little terminator who is Death to any flying insects in the house. :p

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

stev posted:

At least the replies gave my blocking finger some good exersize.

Check out the replies to the initial tweet then. Or don't as they are horrible.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My Fudge has also arrived! Taste tested Russian Revolution and it was good (I had all the others in a prior order).

Camrath posted:

Never going to happen.

At the moment I'm a solo operation, but my plan is to be at the stage of needing to hire folk on in 2022 or so; not sure on the exact mechanism to use but I'd be wanting to hire young school leavers or long term unemployed and provide food hygiene training, a better-than-living wage etc. Try and do good (or at least the least harm) while taking part in capitalism.

Multinational status will never happen with that approach and frankly I'm happy with that.

Also glad the goodies are arriving! Enjoy, everyone :)
You're a good egg, Camrath.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The fudge has arrived just in time for my wife's eye surgery. You are a godsend Camrath. Also having nutritional info. I love you.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

camrath is a good egg who always gets his dinner boy but im gonna hire wage slaves to undercut his business then use that money to buy a politician to have fudjit declared a terrorist organisation

art of the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

SpaceCommie posted:

Similar to what Camrath said, our kitten came knowing to use the litter box.
Any decent rescue place, or if you must any reputable breeder, should be taking care of that as they would normally keep the kittens with their mum for 6 weeks ish which handles a lot of those issues.
Suggestions would be to start off using the same litter type and maybe food brand as where you get it from, and maybe don't use a hooded litter tray until they're familiar with where it is, as they'll likely go bye the smell of the litter to find it for a week or two.