Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
alpha protocol is good if you can stand the jank. i treated it like secret of mana re: charge times etc and because i'm familiar with real time games that operate on an rpg style turn tick, it felt all right to me. but i think anyone who doesn't like separating seen gameplay from hidden dice rolls under the hood will have much difficulty enjoying it.

think of it as, witcher 1 except your steel sword is a shotgun and your silver sword is your pistol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Decided to jump back in. My most recent save file was from November 25, 2016.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The White Dragon posted:

alpha protocol is good if you can stand the jank.

:cool:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Alpha Protocol is one of the best games ever and if you don't like it send me your address so I can come teach you how to handle the jankiness manliness (by the way it's maxing out pistols and being dickhead Jack Bauer).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

White Coke posted:

I forgot about that. Are you locked into the DLC area if you do that?

Nope, you can go and do whatever. Starts you off in Velen with an appropriate level and gear for the DLC. It works great, I played through the main game on PC then the DLC on PS4 using that option.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I've replayed Alpha Protocol at least 11 times now, and not only was I still finding new stuff every playthrough, I know of several major revelations and character moments that I've still never figured out how to trigger. I've seen footage! I know it exists! I've still never gotten it on a playthrough.

It's definitely rough figuring out how to play the game in those initial stages, but basically once you get it figured out that pistol shots are useless until you've got a critical lined up and get your stealth leveled up to the point that you're basically The Predator, it's utterly fantastic, in my opinion. Disco Elysium's the only thing that's even come close.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I want a game where Steven Heck and I go on adventures.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

My heart has never been broken more than hearing the news that Obsidian was making a new RPG based on an animated property, getting worked up for an Alpha Protocol-style Archer video game, and then getting a South Park RPG.

I mean, it was FINE. But it wasn't an Archer game in the AP engine, and that's a CRIME.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Parallelwoody posted:

Alpha Protocol is one of the best games ever and if you don't like it send me your address so I can come teach you how to handle the jankiness manliness (by the way it's maxing out pistols and being dickhead Jack Bauer).

I'd go with it's a good game, but not among the best games ever. The boss battles were imo bad.

It is a model for how choices and consequences should be handled in a game though. It's an underrated game that will continue to be underrated since it's not available for purchase on Steam anymore.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'll modify my statement to say it's actually the best game ever made*

*among games starring Steven Heck

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'd go with it's a good game, but not among the best games ever. The boss battles were imo bad.

It is a model for how choices and consequences should be handled in a game though. It's an underrated game that will continue to be underrated since it's not available for purchase on Steam anymore.

Yeah, more games need to give you bonuses for making people hate you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

It's definitely top tier for replayability in terms of unique multiple playthroughs.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Alpha Protocol gave me very, very strong Deus Ex vibes, in that it was a shooter-RPG hybrid that did branching paths/multiple approaches very well, but was absolutely horrid at the shooter part—mostly because it didn't seem to understand that the RPG aspect of making your skills bad at the beginning is actually incredibly frustrating when your crosshair is placed squarely on top of your target. But apart from that it was a masterpiece in "play your way" design.

I forget where I heard it, but I also really appreciated how your three dialog options could largely be summarized as one of the three JBs: James Bond, Jack Bauer, or Jason Bourne. Except that whenever you tried to be smooth and hit on a woman, she would roll her eyes and shut you down :discourse:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah the James bond options were hilarious in that you *think* you're being smooth but you actually come across as a dipshit and that's how the characters react. It's such a great game. Maybe it's cause I played with a controller on Xbox but I never had much of an issue with the combat except against like an attack helicopter at the end of the game, which makes sense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can say from experience the game plays like rear end with mouse and keyboard, those mini games for hacking and the like are nearly impossible

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I can't get the "There Can Be Only One" quest to trigger. I can't find the two knights who talk about it even though I've gone to where they're supposed to show up, I can't find it on the notice board, and I've gone to the island in the lake and the hermit wasn't there. I don't think I've done enough quests to lock me out of it, so what do I need to do?

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I grabbed a couple of the recommended mods from post 2. Have there been any must haves come out since the post was edited 3 years ago?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I started Lady of the Lake. So the only book I won't have read is Season of Storms. Is it worth it? When does it take place?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I started Lady of the Lake. So the only book I won't have read is Season of Storms. Is it worth it? When does it take place?

takes place before the “ciri-saga,” but features some chapters that are set well after. its pretty good imo. definitely worth it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I had heard some negative poo poo about SoS, but I really enjoyed that book quite a bit. Especially the ending.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I had heard some negative poo poo about SoS, but I really enjoyed that book quite a bit. Especially the ending.

nimue is my favorite character in the series so i was very happy to see her again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FalloutGod posted:

I grabbed a couple of the recommended mods from post 2. Have there been any must haves come out since the post was edited 3 years ago?

Not really, there are always new graphics mods or whatever, but the core of the post is the same. Play it a bit because the base game is good, and then mod in things later that you will like. The rebalancing ones like ghost mod are best left for second playthroughs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Parallelwoody posted:

It's kind of a non-issue, if you don't already own Alpha Protocol it's no longer available for sale and unlikely it ever will be again.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1301826520311369728?s=19

quote:

We’re working on the next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt! 

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase for PC, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. 

Woo!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cool.
I am slightly worried that it will be too next gen for my computer though. It currently runs great on my pc and Im happy with it, but if it looks fantastic and still runs fantastic then I’ll be happy. Good on CDPR for still showing love to the game though.

Could we have a remastered Witcher 1 and 2 please?
And a unicorn too while we’re asking.
Thanks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Cool.
I am slightly worried that it will be too next gen for my computer though. It currently runs great on my pc and Im happy with it, but if it looks fantastic and still runs fantastic then I’ll be happy. Good on CDPR for still showing love to the game though.

Thanks.

I sure hope it will be an optional and reversible update for the same reason.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

steinrokkan posted:

I sure hope it will be an optional and reversible update for the same reason.

Thirded. I love the idea and it sounds great, but Witcher 3 is already taxing enough on my poor (non-gaming) laptop.

On a similar note, it still blows my mind that they got it running decently on the Switch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not thst surprised they were able to get it running well on the switch. Most games nowadays, of their game engine is well optimized, scale incredibly well to different hardware with the only major changes being texture size, rendering distance and resolution. As long as the underlying bones of a game engine are solid you can run them on a lot of different machines. Even DOOM runs well on Switch.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Helith posted:

Cool.

Thanks.

if you read the books you should know not to ask for a unicorn

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

scary ghost dog posted:

if you read the books you should know not to ask for a unicorn

:wink:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
honestly i hope yennefer’s stuffed unicorn is fake because if its not its supremely hosed ip

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its fake. Real unicorns don't look like that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

chaosapiant posted:

alot of that is from the poor fan translation before the official translated releases came out.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not thst surprised they were able to get it running well on the switch. Most games nowadays, of their game engine is well optimized, scale incredibly well to different hardware with the only major changes being texture size, rendering distance and resolution. As long as the underlying bones of a game engine are solid you can run them on a lot of different machines. Even DOOM runs well on Switch.

I would say Switcher a more impressive achievement than DOOM since The Witcher 3 is an open world game where DOOM is linear and has a clear structure where you're moving through a closed space, then fight in an open space, and repeat.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Witcher 3: a game that made me buy 1060 6GB at launch and 2080 when I got high resolution and refresh rate monitor. 3080 next to get all those glorious reflections maxed?
E: just checked and 1060 was released after W3, must be getting senile. I remember getting the card mostly for w3 and Total War series though.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 4, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Looking forward to my W3 replay even more now, after I get my CP2077 GPU upgrade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How much will the 3080 sell for? I may need to add it to my list of upgrade parts if it is in a decent enough price range.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

700$, seems crazy for something beating 2080ti handily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wow really? I payed $650 for my 1070 four years ago. $700 for a card two generations newer and a tier higher is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think GPU prices got pushed higher due to bitcoin farming around then?
I have a 1070 too but it's doing great with everything so far, so no rush to upgrade just yet.