Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KirbyKhan posted:

Every time I play face hunter I get matched into aggro rogue, is there any way to win that matchup other than sheer luck? Eesh.

Foreal, I don't know how to play that matchup, like should I fight for board or just go face harder. If rogue can get their card draw rolling when I run out of gas I'm out. If I can get my explosive trap down somehow on turn 2 or 4 I feel great, then rogue reloads with secret passage and I die. It feels like rogue has like 4 more resources than I will ever get.

Yeah I've been playing face hunter and feel this way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
gonna have some serious wait times on that brawl matchmaking

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i've had some mild success with aggro rogues using this hunter deck:

### POKE IT
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Demon Companion
# 2x (1) Dwarven Sharpshooter
# 2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 1x (2) Explosive Trap
# 1x (2) Freezing Trap
# 1x (2) Pack Tactics
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 1x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (2) Voracious Reader
# 2x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 1x (4) Dragonbane
# 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
#
AAECAZ/DAwaHBMkEn6UDh7ADpLkD9tYDDKgCtQP+DPuvA/yvA/+6A9zMA5vNA6LOA4LQA8bRA7nSAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

you wanna mulligan for your absolute cheapest cards and go for face and maybe just a little bit of control on their scarier minions, hopefully you draw polkelt which will draw you your big damage cards that you can finish them off with before the rogue kills you.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

quote:

Hearthstone Book of Heroes will bring fresh and FREE single player content over the course of the next 12 months, until the stories for all 10 core Heroes have been told. Defeating all 8 bosses in this linear adventure will reward 1 Mage Pack, containing only Mage cards from Standard!

So I guess it's going to be a full year of lovely "fight these bosses" single player adventures. I get that dungeon runs were getting kinda stale, but it would be nice to have something with a bit of creativity behind it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Chin Strap posted:

The 10 cards thing is something I never thought about. That makes a ton of sense. Thanks

Orb of Sapience can help you with burning bombs with a full hand as well, so don't equip it or spend its charges early in the matchup.

Edit:

quote:

Book of Heroes will bring fresh and FREE single player content over the course of the next 12 months, until the stories for all 10 core Heroes have been told.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 3, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

enki42 posted:

So I guess it's going to be a full year of lovely "fight these bosses" single player adventures. I get that dungeon runs were getting kinda stale, but it would be nice to have something with a bit of creativity behind it.

really with this kind of stuff it all comes down to how good the tools available to you are

fighting OP boss poo poo with OP poo poo of your own is fun, fighting OP boss poo poo with a regular deck loving sucks

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

mcbexx posted:

Orb of Sapience can help you with burning bombs with a full hand as well, so don't equip it or spend its charges early in the matchup.

Orb just feels so slow in Priest right now. Really only feels worthwhile for Tortollan Mage to run.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sir Lemming posted:

That Darkglare change might not be too bad for Suicide Warlock because you usually have so many ways of damaging yourself that you don't even need all the mana it generates. And with the card costing 1 less it's still pretty useful. I think.

Doubtful. This shockingly feels like a nerf to help salvage Wild mode. The Standard version of Pain Warlock was barely good enough in Standard, and it needed the mana cheat to tread water, and relevancy is super cutthroat with how balanced this set is. Deck is basically dead.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Doubtful. This shockingly feels like a nerf to help salvage Wild mode. The Standard version of Pain Warlock was barely good enough in Standard, and it needed the mana cheat to tread water, and relevancy is super cutthroat with how balanced this set is. Deck is basically dead.

Mad about that nerf killing ny favorite warlock deck, also mad Willow isn't eligible for dust...it's still a useless card.

Also I don't think secret passage is nerfed in any way that matters that much given it's only one less card.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Fenarisk posted:

Also I don't think secret passage is nerfed in any way that matters that much given it's only one less card.

It gives a lower probability of getting an effective card to synergize with the strategy of swapping your hand, but it's still a strong card.

Does anyone have any Shaman decks that are fun and can get around a 40% win rate? I love Shaman and am close to a golden one, so I'm hoping to ride the bonus stars with it to Diamond and a gold hero. Don't care if it's great, just as long as it's fun and hits over 35%.

Edit: Looking to use something more intricate than Totem Shaman, and I have all Shaman legendaries except Vashj.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Chances of having duplicates of Epics are fairly low, so booo these dustless nerfs.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know if Turalyon's flavour text is some kind of reference, because it's weirdly straight-faced sounding.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Does anyone know if Turalyon's flavour text is some kind of reference, because it's weirdly straight-faced sounding.

according to google it’s just a quote of his from some audio drama

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm fine with the Secret Passage nerf, they just want to control its consistency a little bit rather than gut it completely. I still think they should also change it so it replaces the whole hand back and doesn't leave discovered/shadowstepped cards behind, since that's more intuitive anyway, but eh.

RIP Zoolock, we hardly knew ye.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm fine with the Secret Passage nerf, they just want to control its consistency a little bit rather than gut it completely. I still think they should also change it so it replaces the whole hand back and doesn't leave discovered/shadowstepped cards behind, since that's more intuitive anyway, but eh.

RIP Zoolock, we hardly knew ye.

As a mage player who mainlines Evocation to generate value, I will fight for rogues right to keep their gen'd cards. Like it costs Mana to gen them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The roadmap by the way

Hopefully this Jaina has new emotes. Also presumably we're getting alt portraits for all 10 heroes.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be hilarious if they charged $10 or whatever for not even new emotes.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

adamarama posted:

Kinda bullshit that Willow isn't eligible for a refund when the change is comparable to dark glare. I basically want rid of Willow cos it's crap.

Lol this was my exact thought when I saw the changes. I opened a Willow and would love to dust it for something else.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Darkglare nerf is so weird since that deck wasn't even crushingly good or anything.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

This deck is absolutely nuts good. I'm 15-4 with it and I've only lost to bomb warrior and games I drew both potions before I got to cast a tortollan pilgrim.

### turtle mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 1x (2) Astromancer Solarian
# 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
# 2x (2) Doomsayer
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 1x (3) Earthen Ring Farseer
# 2x (3) Firebrand
# 2x (3) Frost Nova
# 2x (3) Imprisoned Observer
# 2x (4) Bone Wraith
# 1x (4) Lorekeeper Polkelt
# 2x (4) Potion of Illusion
# 1x (5) Jandice Barov
# 1x (5) Sunreaver Warmage
# 2x (6) Blizzard
# 2x (6) Khartut Defender
# 2x (8) Tortollan Pilgrim
#
AAECAaXDAwbzDNOYA427A4/OA9nRA/bWAwyKAckDywShoQOLpAPypQPDuAP4zAOk0QPl0QP+0QOL1QMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Darkglare nerf is so weird since that deck wasn't even crushingly good or anything.

Apparently its more of a problem in wild

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

Mad about that nerf killing ny favorite warlock deck, also mad Willow isn't eligible for dust...it's still a useless card.

Yeah, i understand it was kind of degenerate in Wild and Discolock is a more sustainable aggro Warlock but... man, it was nice having that fun deck in standard. Also the only thing that makes sense for Willow is if there is some really interesting synergy with upcoming sets. There is nothing to incentive playing Enhanced Dreadlord in standard and she's pointless for Cubelock. Moving her to 8 has no effect on Evenlock either.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, Darkglare has been behind some massive blowout early turns, since Wild has so many cheap ways to damage your hero.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's weird to balance new cards in Standard for Wild. Blizz must have some serious plans for Wild card collections to nerf a perfectly balanced Standard card to improve Wild.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
This twitter thread explains the balance changes: https://twitter.com/gw_alec/status/1301577196247556097?s=21

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Acerbatus posted:

Flayer posted:

It's weird to balance new cards in Standard for Wild. Blizz must have some serious plans for Wild card collections to nerf a perfectly balanced Standard card to improve Wild.
It's weird if you only look at it from the outside tbf. This wasn't about "improving" wild but about stopping it from turning into another degenerate "Naga+giants" meta with coinflip games. Darkglare started to become rampant close to the end of the last season and it was deffo headed in that direction asap so I'm real glad that they reacted quickly. Darkglare+raise dead or penflinger/tour guide/flame imp/kobold and many other small cards let you chain draws while cheating mana and getting out flesh/molten giants to win on the spot. On turn three/four or two if the stars aligned and you coined the darkglare with one minion in your raise dead. It got so popular that people were running broom in their list to swing back after the other warlock went off first

If any standard player wants to understand this better, here's a video where GetMeowth and Corbett talk about the deck at around 6 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujwcZZr2NE

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 4, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lol yeah I ran up the wild ranks with that deck. It was super efficient because I'd drop darkglare and people would just conceed!

The crazy power was nice but really it was great for the thrill of figuring out how to get as many cards and possible through your hand and then that gambler's high on the opponent's turn that they couldn't clear or go lethal.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Apocron posted:

This twitter thread explains the balance changes: https://twitter.com/gw_alec/status/1301577196247556097?s=21

So for Priest is sounds like they just want to stop people whining about mind control effects being too good? Because when I hear "we want these effects to be a deckbuilding choice" I'm immediately translating that to "this is for meme tier-4 decks only".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It means "this effect is too obnoxious to be as generically powerful as it is". That's how card game designers decide which cards should be over and under statted.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Can't believe I just spent 3bux on a cupcake card back.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Cabal Acolyte can be a 2/2 or a 2/3 and still be an auto-include, Acolyte + Apathy is just that dumb. If they removed the Taunt, though, then it might be a different story, and maybe not even then.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tin Tim posted:

It's weird if you only look at it from the outside tbf. This wasn't about "improving" wild but about stopping it from turning into another degenerate "Naga+giants" meta with coinflip games. Darkglare started to become rampant close to the end of the last season and it was deffo headed in that direction asap so I'm real glad that they reacted quickly. Darkglare+raise dead or penflinger/tour guide/flame imp/kobold and many other small cards let you chain draws while cheating mana and getting out flesh/molten giants to win on the spot. On turn three/four or two if the stars aligned and you coined the darkglare with one minion in your raise dead. It got so popular that people were running broom in their list to swing back after the other warlock went off first

If any standard player wants to understand this better, here's a video where GetMeowth and Corbett talk about the deck at around 6 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujwcZZr2NE

But on the other hand:

Who cares about wild?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, it wasn’t all THAT long ago that they went back and nerfed Quest Mage in Wild.

Sure Wild balance is lower on the totem pole of priorities, but they’ve still stepped in when some combo was getting obscene in the format.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, it wasn’t all THAT long ago that they went back and nerfed Quest Mage in Wild.

Sure Wild balance is lower on the totem pole of priorities, but they’ve still stepped in when some combo was getting obscene in the format.

the nerfs were to cards not in standard though weren't they?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

yikes! posted:

the nerfs were to cards not in standard though weren't they?

This is the first time they’ve explicitly nerfed a Standard card for Wild’s sake, AFAIK, but some of the DH nerfs (Altruis and Warglaives) also had the knock-on effect of weakening Odd DH.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

it is pretty subtle, but see if you can tell when this arena run started to go downhill:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Regalingualius posted:

This is the first time they’ve explicitly nerfed a Standard card for Wild’s sake, AFAIK, but some of the DH nerfs (Altruis and Warglaives) also had the knock-on effect of weakening Odd DH.

I think the Flametongue totem nerf way back during the year of the Raven was mostly for Even Shaman in Wild being oppressive.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Acerbatus posted:

But on the other hand:

Who cares about wild?

bitch please

It's the only good Hearthstone left at this point.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Regalingualius posted:

enki42 posted:

I think the Flametongue totem nerf way back during the year of the Raven was mostly for Even Shaman in Wild being oppressive.

qualifier: a Standard card in the most recent set, nerfed only a few weeks after release. They've historically let poo poo linger in Wild for the sake of Standard.

edit: I'm dumb and forgot when Darkglare was printed, but point still stands this was an unusually fast nerf for the sake of Wild that killed a Standard deck

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnacondaHL posted:

qualifier: a Standard card in the most recent set, nerfed only a few weeks after release. They've historically let poo poo linger in Wild for the sake of Standard.

You have hit the correct modifier. I hope to do this sequence of semantics again in the next set where I get to read

Qualifier-qualifier: a Standard card in the most recent set, nerfed after the first hotfix. They've historically let poo poo linger in Wild for the sake of Standard until after the first bundle goes out of sale.