Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idk from norway i thought people were pretty good about following guidelines and rules so long as there was a clear understanding that this wasn't something people could just shirk. of course, compliance dropped once stuff started reopening, but that's perfectly natural - everyone gets the impression that the crisis is over and it's time to return to normal, an impression directly supported by government messaging and rules changes. i'm pretty sure that, if the government had decided on a new zealand-type strategy of stamping the disease out altogether, the people would've done their part pretty well. however, it ended up not being about that but rather about a temporary suppression effort with a clear decision to return to 'normal' and so here we are

in this context, mandating mask use becomes a mostly symbolic/moral measure - everyone's convinced that someone else isn't doing things properly, and now there's incontrovertible evidence available for that. i suspect that a non-serious implementation of a mask mandate would simply legitimate people's suspicions and hostility towards each other, which makes it harder to make a collective effort down the road.

a well-implemented mask mandate, while probably possible, has not really been constructed by any western nation that's tried it. i'm skeptical that we'll do much better at this stage of the political response

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

New narrative seems to be that we're "testing too much" and last week it cost a whole million kroner per eight positives.

I wonder how much you could test for the government assistance deposited directly in tax shelters with the blessing of parliament? Probably a lot.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

New narrative seems to be that we're "testing too much" and last week it cost a whole million kroner per eight positives.

I wonder how much you could test for the government assistance deposited directly in tax shelters with the blessing of parliament? Probably a lot.

yeah lol gently caress this, it's typical whining about government waste in a situation where it's infinitely better to be safe than sorry

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah lol gently caress this, it's typical whining about government waste in a situation where it's infinitely better to be safe than sorry

And where billions are regularly lost to tax evasion, overpayment to private contractors and sheer stupidity.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Kamrat posted:

I bought a few masks in the beginning of the Corona-times but I never wore them, mostly because nobody else is and I don't want everyone to look at me like I'm a weirdo.

This seems to be the common response by most people I've talked to as well, seems like most people would wear masks if it was more common in the first place.
This is the absolute dumbest excuse. Use it as a fashion statement! I ordered four custom masks for $50. Seen like one other person the past few weeks with a mask. People look, especially with the rainbow one on. I don't care.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cynic Jester posted:

My point is that the government has the wrong attitude not only towards mask but the pandemic as a whole and if we'd had a proper response from the government from day 1 and onwards, wearing masks wouldn't be something a minuscule portion of the population were doing, nor would masks be expensive instead of freely provided. Of course implementing mandatory masks now without changing anything else wouldn't do poo poo, but that's not an inherent problem with wearing masks to manage the spread of a respiratory illness, it's a result of our government de-prioritizing managing the spread and how luke warm their messaging around it has become over time. The public discourse around masks is "They don't work, no point in wearing a mask, ever", not "They don't work in our situation because people and the government don't give a poo poo" and that's an incredibly bad thing to get ingrained in our society if a worse pandemic comes along.

I mean, then we are in agreement and you should be upset at someone not saying the same thing you are.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

EL want to spend 20 billion on cash discounts for EVs. Never knew their climate policy to be so aggressively stupid.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Arenjö gvmaslmaslss malss maks pritect upyrself?? If so then, why borher if you doont cares anoouut your own heatlh

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

EL want to spend 20 billion on cash discounts for EVs. Never knew their climate policy to be so aggressively stupid.

They've pivoted most of their politics to pretty much the Social Democrats in the 1990s.

We need a new left-wing party to counteract the collective rightward slide in Danish politics.

Or to burn the whole thing down and replace it with collectives and direct democracy through representatives with no actual power themselves other than to argue for the decisions of the collectives they represent. But that has some pretty long odds right now.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 4, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

SplitSoul posted:

I wonder how much Norway spent giving subsidies to Tesla, and how many years of free bus travel for every person in the country or how many electric bikes it would have funded.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fartbox posted:

I've been going to the gym 5 times a week since february when this all started getting a lot of attention here and the gym has been packed with people. Pretty sure I've been exposed to corona at least 100 times by now. The staff there wants people to wipe equipment down after use but only like 30% of people do it and no one does it to the dumbbells so the place is still 100% infectious

It's a nice little microcosm of society at large

Not to be rude or anything but aren't you part of the problem if you also go to the gym at peak hours?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

McCloud posted:

Not to be rude or anything but aren't you part of the problem if you also go to the gym at peak hours?

Everyone is part of the problem in Sweden, thats part of the problem

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Denmark passing Sweden in number of infected people per 100.000. Herd Immunity vindicated.

Now you're stuck with all the pension claimers and more sick people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nah, we're raising the retirement age to 74, thus avoiding old people being a burden. A flawless plan.

Also, about electric cars:
https://twitter.com/existentialcoms/status/1290040673358368769?s=19

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Katt posted:

Denmark passing Sweden in number of infected people per 100.000. Herd Immunity vindicated.

Now you're stuck with all the pension claimers and more sick people.

Yeah, that story got a lot of exposure in media. Not much mention of the rather large gap in test coverage. Sweden has a very low level of test availability. It's fine that media aren't completely glossing over the rise in case numbers - but it's annoying that it's being framed as "Look, haha, Sweden had a better strategy - open everything and the government must admit failure!". The Danish media is aggressively pushing an "it's not even the flu" agenda - regardless of usual bias, they're pulling ahead of Trump and co in trying to downplay this pandemic.

If we end up with new measures to contain the rising case count in Copenhagen and Odense - (together home to the vast majority of media), the media, except perhaps DR, will explode in a fury of "THIS IS DUMB - BLAME THE IMMIGRANTS - OPEN EVERYTHING BACK UP - WITH SUBSIDIES!".

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

Nah, we're raising the retirement age to 74, thus avoiding old people being a burden. A flawless plan.

Always remember that the people deciding this can still retire with full pension at 60. Used to be they didn't even have to retire, they would get full pension from the day they stopped being minister.

We would have to mine roughly 2,700% more lithium, though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

We would have to mine roughly 2,700% more lithium, though.

Good thing the EU decided to open up mines in Europe, surely that will solve everything using the magic of Vækst™!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Once again Sweden beats its lesser, dirtier neighbours and wins the covid game

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I know it's the D&D Way(tm), but does anyone else find all the smugness/snide remarks about neighbouring countries and covid-19 absolutely loving exhausting? We're swallowed by wave after wave of the news form of fecalia on a daily basis and it just seems so counterproductive to add to it that. Maybe ir's just posters feeling that's all that can realistically be done?

Or maybe it's just me, and I need to take a break. I don't know right now. Just so. loving. exhausted. :shepicide:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Extreme fatigue is a symptom...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Extreme fatigue is a symptom...

...of 2020.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I know it's the D&D Way(tm), but does anyone else find all the smugness/snide remarks about neighbouring countries and covid-19 absolutely loving exhausting? We're swallowed by wave after wave of the news form of fecalia on a daily basis and it just seems so counterproductive to add to it that. Maybe ir's just posters feeling that's all that can realistically be done?

Or maybe it's just me, and I need to take a break. I don't know right now. Just so. loving. exhausted. :shepicide:

taking smug joy in our neighbours' failures is an essential part of our culture, this post is basically genocide

latent lunatic
Sep 5, 2018

Alhazred posted:

...of 2020.
I propose sealing off 2020 like radioactive waste and pretend it never happened.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

taking smug joy in our neighbours' failures is an essential part of our culture, this post is basically genocide

Light ribbing I can understand and as someone who grew up in the 80s I did indeed have a copy of Norsk Hydro's Book of Norwegian jokes (Swedish jokes in Norway, if I am not misstaken), but surely being smug over the further spread of a pandemic is at least tilting towards ghoulish? It's really only that which bothers me.

(not saying we shouldn't make fun of and slam our respective governments handling of the pandemic,. They deserve criticism.)

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it all due to my current mood being poorer than normal, in which case I apologize for the interruption.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Alhazred posted:

...of 2020.

Yeah, screw this year hard. I was already kinda tired from swedish and american politics the last few years, but this one takes the loving cake. Bleah.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

latent lunatic posted:

I propose sealing off 2020 like radioactive waste and pretend it never happened.

Yes, repressing trauma is the healthy option, ask any psychologist!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Remember when 2016 was the worst year ever because a bunch of celebs died?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I see none of you have prepared for 2021, the worst year until 2022. Civilisation probably peaked in the mid to late '90s and it's all gonna be downhill going forward.

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it all due to my current mood being poorer than normal, in which case I apologize for the interruption.

I think you might be. I'm sure we're all horrified at the Swedish response and people are just poking fun ironically.

I'm wondering how we'll look back on the "Back to school! Children are basically immune and can't spread it! (Please, the company of my own spawn is killing me. :qq:)"-approach now that they've found it can seriously, permanently damage their hearts even in asymptomatic cases.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 5, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
2020 is not some anomaly where things go back to normal after. Pandemics are going to be more lethal and more common as our population grows and our environment degrades.
I realize this is the kind of sadbrains post that makes D&D such an emotional drain to read sometimes but what I mean is like.. Don't sit around and wait for "things to blow over" before you get back to living life the way you wanna live it imho.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Mata posted:

2020 is not some anomaly where things go back to normal after. Pandemics are going to be more lethal and more common as our population grows and our environment degrades.
I realize this is the kind of sadbrains post that makes D&D such an emotional drain to read sometimes but what I mean is like.. Don't sit around and wait for "things to blow over" before you get back to living life the way you wanna live it imho.

This is true too, and of course you are right. And I don't think your post is bad - it's when the nothing matters crew arrives that D&D becomes a bit of a chore.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and calming words, all. I appreciate it. :glomp:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Light ribbing I can understand and as someone who grew up in the 80s I did indeed have a copy of Norsk Hydro's Book of Norwegian jokes (Swedish jokes in Norway, if I am not misstaken), but surely being smug over the further spread of a pandemic is at least tilting towards ghoulish? It's really only that which bothers me.

(not saying we shouldn't make fun of and slam our respective governments handling of the pandemic,. They deserve criticism.)

Non-swedes are mostly poking fun, but Swedes were very upset about the recent criticism of their Corona response, and responded in quite a reactionary fashion. Even people on the left started embracing the stance, seemingly out of nationalism once the world started making GBS threads on Sweden. That part was actually pretty surprising.

People jumping in here might just be trolling tho.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I know this isnt what people who suffered this year want to hear but 2020 has been a really good year for me

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mata posted:

Not to worry, climate change and post-COVID complications is going to put a dent in population growth, not to mention resource wars between nuclear powers. The future is bright like a double flash.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

thotsky posted:

Non-swedes are mostly poking fun, but Swedes were very upset about the recent criticism of their Corona response, and responded in quite a reactionary fashion. Even people on the left started embracing the stance, seemingly out of nationalism once the world started making GBS threads on Sweden. That part was actually pretty surprising.

People jumping in here might just be trolling tho.

As a swede I'm all for criticising our national response, because it's been poo poo. If it turns out we get away with it, it has nothing to do with the governments response and is pretty much all down to luck.

Funny thing is, what triggered me earlier were people ribbing denmark for rising cases, not sweden. I just don't like seeing people suffer and sometimes I get too highstrung and extreme about that so that I don't realize it might've been meant in jest or been aimed at a government or something like that. It's a failing of mine, but at least I've mellowed a bit with age.

I totally agree with you btw; embracing our national stance like some (not here) have makes no sense at all. People in my direct social sphere that I normally find grounded have been weirdly defensive about me critizising the government, and it weirds me the gently caress out. Anyone with eyes in their skull can tell it's been terrible.

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 5, 2020

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I know this isnt what people who suffered this year want to hear but 2020 has been a really good year for me

Nah, seriously, good on you! Getting all bitter and crab-bucket-mentality-oriented about others having good things happen is poison to the soul and a great to way to end up wallowing in self-pity, depression and bitterness. Been there once, and I refuse to go back.

Within reason, anyway. Eat the rich etc. :)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It’s been frustrating hearing about the bonkers shortcomings of the US from Swedes and them then having zero reflection upon how the country has handled it. I keep marking it up to “I guess this is just another cultural quirk” but I can’t quite settle for that excuse this time. Even though not as many people died here as other countries, it’s still pretty shameful that so many DID die.

Maybe it’s guilt for being able to live most of my life as normal here while most friends and loved ones back home have had their lives thrown into chaos, and I’m like “just getting a drinkypoo and another tattoo nbd!!!”. The only thing that’s hosed is my salary (slightly temporarily hosed) and being able to see family for Christmas. But in all fairness I have a lot of guilt leaving the US full stop, and perhaps it’s tied to it.

I would love to see a study, an article, something into the mindset because I feel crazy that I can’t just shut up and be happy that I have it well.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Social Democrats are still garbage racists, Radikale still liberal garbage, more after these advertisements.

https://www.altinget.dk/arbejdsmarked/artikel/flere-kontanthjaelpmodtagere-skal-i-job-saa-arne-kan-gaa-paa-tidlig-pension

quote:

Regeringen har på forhånd lagt sig fast på at indføre et krav om 37 timers aktivering for indvandrere og flygtninge, som er på integrationsydelse* eller kontanthjælp.

[...]

Radikale glæder sig over, at regeringen er opmærksom på at øge arbejdsudbuddet efter en aftale om tidlig pension, men tvivler på, om metoden er den rigtige.

"Jeg kan godt have min tvivl om, hvor vidt den her yderligere aktivering vil modsvare, hvad man trækker ud, hvis man gennemfører tidlig tilbagetrækning. Og derudover har vi en skepsis over for at målrette mere aktivering imod en bestemt befolkningsgruppe," siger beskæftigelsesordfører Samira Nawa.

*It's actually called "hjemsendelsesydelse" now, officially, and it's equal to halved welfare.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 5, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

I see none of you have prepared for 2021, the worst year until 2022. Civilisation probably peaked in the mid to late '90s and it's all gonna be downhill going forward.

When Huge Weaving said that the late 90's was the peak of our civilisation in The Matrix, I've always felt that yes, in some ways, it sort of was. Good and bad.

It was the perfect point to start the downslide, apparantly.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

It’s been frustrating hearing about the bonkers shortcomings of the US from Swedes and them then having zero reflection upon how the country has handled it. I keep marking it up to “I guess this is just another cultural quirk” but I can’t quite settle for that excuse this time. Even though not as many people died here as other countries, it’s still pretty shameful that so many DID die.

Well, as I have siblings that live abroad, I have plenty of reflection of what Sweden did bad and good.

One of the obvious is the 5 fold higher number of deaths compared to Denmark/Norway which is frankly just bad given the similarity. It is likely due to systematic issues within the Swedish elderly healthcare system that that would have required a minor revolution to address.

On the other hand, the closing of schools in other countries have been a bad and reactionary action. Simply since kids are not a risk group and keeping kids at home while parents work from home full time is not really a good solution for anyone. Especially given that teachers in Sweden are not over represented among the COVID cases.

The whole situation is going to produce an enormous amount of academic studies for the next 5-10 years even after it has disappeared within a year or so. And then we will know better what actually mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Swedish Elder care system of "underpaid overworked people that dart around town visiting 30 old/sick/weak people in their homes a day" is a disaster here.

On top of the actual elder homes failing to keep Covid from spreading like wildfire even well after they went into full security mode.