Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

N'thing how disappointed people who are trying to De-VR Alyx are going to be. Virtually everything good about it is somehow related to experiencing it in VR. What you'll be left with on a flat screen is a slow, simplistic shooter.

Just wait until you can find a way to play in VR, or watch a story recap if you are just curious about what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you can't find a friend who has a headset to borrow, just watch a Lets Play of Alyx instead. You'll get all that you would from trying to play it with a non-VR mod.

As others have tried to say, (but I swear this isn't just gatekeeping), so much of Alyx's design REQUIRES motion controls. Its not the VR headset, its the motion controls that make VR what VR is. All the things the Wii promised about motion controls that ended up being bullshit, they are real on a VR system. The motion tracking is highly accurate. So the entire game is designed to use that:

Guns have to be held in your hand, manually aimed, and manually reloaded.

Grenades have to be tossed in an arc from your hand.

You can pick up objects, rotate them around, even crush soda cans in your hand.

In a non-VR mod you'd just press the E key and move on, there'd be nothing to do. It'd be the same as just watching a LetsPlayer do it for you.

To drive it home a bit more, I had a bit in Alyx where I started to open a door, saw two poison headcrabs on the other side, and slammed it shut.

I had a grenade on me, so I opened the door a tad, popped the grenade, and threw it through the door before slamming it shut again.

This came to me entirely naturally, they didn't stick a whole ton of grenades right before it, they didn't slap up a giant tutorial about it, and I never ran into a situation that would require it again.

On a flat game, there would have to be a specific mechanic made to crack open a door, and another to prime a grenade and toss it through. And since creating these mechanics would take time and effort, the devs would cram a bunch of enemies behind doors near grenades just so that work wouldn't be seen just one time.

In VR, it was an entirely organic fusion of the basic game mechanics, and took zero extra work to make, so only having to do it once or not having the player realize that it was possible isn't a waste of resources.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My favorite one of those is when I was in the rafters above some zombies with a box of grenades and I could just drop them through the gaps or over the railings, it was a minor thing but it felt really natural.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I tried out HyperDash from Sidequest. Why is movement so slow in a game called HyperDash that's supposed to be an arena shooter? I'm so disappointed. I really want to play Unreal Tournament but in VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I tried out HyperDash from Sidequest. Why is movement so slow in a game called HyperDash that's supposed to be an arena shooter? I'm so disappointed. I really want to play Unreal Tournament but in VR.

You're supposed to be constantly teleporting (which is zzzzz)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I also think what makes it graphically impressive wouldn't show up on a screen. a lot of why it stands out visually is going the extra mile with textures that don't need to be in screen games to look good. Not that it's the most damning thing, but all of the little things you are meant to ooh and ahh at like picking up a bottle, seeing the liquid slosh around inside behind the frosted glass, shaking it up and watching the bubbles rise to the top would be lost. Or just looking at something super close up and seeing all of the little scratches/fingerprints on it and how they reflect off the lighting. The attention to detail on stuff that is meant to be viewed from inches away is nuts.

And yeah, like someone else said I hope this doesn't sound like gatekeeping. I would easily recommend it outside of VR if I thought it would hold up as a good game, but I just think it would be thoroughly mediocre without it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 3, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
My wife tried the first few minutes of Alyx and lost her poo poo when that strider walked by. That bit would be neat on a monitor, but led to her reflexively trying to hide in a corner in VR. VR is goddamn cool and Alyx needs it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shine posted:

My wife tried the first few minutes of Alyx and lost her poo poo when that strider walked by. That bit would be neat on a monitor, but led to her reflexively trying to hide in a corner in VR. VR is goddamn cool and Alyx needs it.

There was a dead zombie I had to pull out of a window and I was apparently visibly disgusted while I was doing it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alyx flat would be like getting a steak ordered well done and then slathered in ketchup.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Leal posted:

Alyx flat would be like getting a steak ordered well done and then slathered in ketchup.

Please do not attempt to summon Vince McMahon to this thread.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

Massive disagree with the first half of that sentence and massive agree with the second. It's definitely the most polished and the world with the best environments with the most detail and heart, but I'd argue that it's extremely conservative with the way it handles most VR interactions and that keeps it from being an all around "best." It does some things incredibly well and other things thoroughly mediocrely.

What would be the best VR game for you? Please don't say Beat Saber.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One of my favorite little visual touches in Alyx is when you use the first aid station and is squashes the grub. It's so visceral and disgusting and believable looking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

Echo Arena and it's not even close to being close. It's on a different tier than every other VR game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just tried Echo Arena for the first time and it seemed cool but I wish there was a way to practice against bots. I did the tutorial and got gun shy about actually jumping into a round because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I just tried Echo Arena for the first time and it seemed cool but I wish there was a way to practice against bots. I did the tutorial and got gun shy about actually jumping into a round because I have no idea what I'm doing.

There is! When you go to the matchmaking terminal, you can choose to play vs AI, and then difficultly level as well as if you're playing coop with other people or just by yourself

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, excellent!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have yet to buy anything on the Oculus store, the facebook thing and having to have reVIVE and Oculus Home running 24/7 even when I don't need them turned me off enough.

Echo Arena is the one game I do miss though. I enjoyed the free bit and I'd buy it if it was on Steam. But I don't think I want it enough to bother with reVIVE again.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

One of my favorite little visual touches in Alyx is when you use the first aid station and is squashes the grub. It's so visceral and disgusting and believable looking.

And the vibrations in the Knuckles while the tiny needles prick you and if you flinch in real life you move in the game and it stops healing you :3:

WRT exercise in VR I've gotten worn out playing Boneworks and Audica many a time. With Audica you could technically hold your hands up the entire time and shoot, but I instinctively dance to the beat and put my arms down after shooting like to show off to the cat or something. in any case it rules.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The basic stuff like see-saw ramps and counterweights (Or tossing debris to make a path across Antlion-infested beaches) were neat in the early 2000's using a mouse to simulate holding things with your hands, ("Pick up that can! :cop:") but with VR you can actually do those things intuitively.
The defining moment of Alyx where I knew I would like it came very early: a combine soldier holds you at gunpoint and you have to literally put your hands up in the air. And then he beats you anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For anyone that is getting hosed by Valve's ball dragging in regards to unreliable power management on the Lighthouses 2.0 on the latest Windows release, here's an Android app (not sure whether it got linked already): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jeroen1602.lighthouse_pm

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lunar detritus posted:

While I do think HL: Alyx is the best VR game made overall, Lemming's not entirely wrong here; Half-Life Alyx is a really solidly-polished game, but it's clearly built entirely on VR design concepts from 2016-ish with teleport-centric movement and level design built around the then-looming specter of motion sickness that actually wasn't all that big a deal. They seem to have locked the design in early on in the project and built outwards from there without revising for new design concepts as time went on. Even say something along those lines in that dev video from a while back.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Combat Pretzel posted:

For anyone that is getting hosed by Valve's ball dragging in regards to unreliable power management on the Lighthouses 2.0 on the latest Windows release, here's an Android app (not sure whether it got linked already): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jeroen1602.lighthouse_pm

Annoyingly, neither of the apps that do this support the 1.0 Vive lighthouses, which I assume have the same problem.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BisbyWorl posted:

On a flat game, there would have to be a specific mechanic made to crack open a door, and another to prime a grenade and toss it through. And since creating these mechanics would take time and effort, the devs would cram a bunch of enemies behind doors near grenades just so that work wouldn't be seen just one time.

In VR, it was an entirely organic fusion of the basic game mechanics, and took zero extra work to make, so only having to do it once or not having the player realize that it was possible isn't a waste of resources.

It's kinda funny you point out the doors specifically because one of the designers did an entire talk about them, and they spent a fair amount of time on the design and testing of those mechanics. It's actually a pretty interesting talk, a lot of thought went into the specifics of how all the doors function.

I think the reason you don't see lovely, repetitive level design is that they are Valve.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think Boneworks is a better game than Alyx and if you could put an Alyx level of polish on top of Boneworks hot drat would that just be the best

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Walking Dead Sinners and Saints :shobon:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Walking dead is good. I'm going to try to find some time to play it again this weekend.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, buying it a second time was a bit of a hard pill to swallow but Saints and Sinners is about 5 times better on PC. If for no other reason I can actually comfortably walk around without the god awful PS move tilting. In general the controls feel wayyy better and it looks much better too though. Also loading times are a few seconds instead of minutes.

A couple of things I thought the touch controllers would nail and I find just as god awful as on PSVR though. Like, driving something into a zombies head is just the worst. I get what they are tying to do, and how it's supposed to work (I think?) but getting it actually work seems like a coin flip and half the time I end up with my arms completely crossed, annoyed as hell with a knife stuck 1cm into a zombies head. Also the climbing is just as finicky and annoying.

Also, not really limited to Saints and Sinners, but I am yet to play a VR game, with the exception of anything with the PS Aim controller, where 2 handed weapons don't handle like complete rear end and make me want to scream. They always gently caress the tracking up because you have to use such an awkward posture and feel really hard to wrangle. And just pretending like there is something in your hands like that always just feels stupid. I wish VR games would just ditch 2 handed guns until some sort of solid solution becomes the norm because they always suck.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Alex is the most polished VR game I've played yet but I think it only beats HL2 because it doesn't have a loving awful fanboat section that goes on forever.

If HL2 didn't have the fanboat it would be a lot closer.

In other news I tried Windlands for the first time since 2016 and it's actually kind of fun now that I'm used to smooth motion in VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably a real outsider opinion especially since it's Dualshock only, but even after playing Alyx I still think Astro Bot Rescue Mission might be the best VR game I have ever played.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Also, not really limited to Saints and Sinners, but I am yet to play a VR game, with the exception of anything with the PS Aim controller, where 2 handed weapons don't handle like complete rear end and make me want to scream. They always gently caress the tracking up because you have to use such an awkward posture and feel really hard to wrangle. And just pretending like there is something in your hands like that always just feels stupid. I wish VR games would just ditch 2 handed guns until some sort of solid solution becomes the norm because they always suck.

Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (aka H3VR) and Pavlov VR both make excellent use of a virtual stock system for comfortable and accurate two-handed weapon usage.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I can't stand 2 handed guns in h3vr. I feel like I never have my hands lined up right.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Great Beer posted:

I can't stand 2 handed guns in h3vr. I feel like I never have my hands lined up right.

I think the virtual stock system works reasonably well, at least for close to medium range stuff. Granted, using a physical stock immediately feels much better, but it's only really feasible if tune it for a specific gun and stick to it. Playing T&H with one doesn't really work, IMO, at least from a "competitive" point of view (you'll do worse with a stock than without).

What you really have to give up with the virtual stock though is pretending to hold the gun "correctly", as in your hands actually being where the grip/foregrip is. What works best for me is completely tucking my right arm in, basically linking it to my chest for increased stability (elbow to your side, pulling your forearm in till you're squishing your bicep). Aiming at something is then done mostly by rotating your upper body, with your arms doing very little independent movement. I guess you could also try locking your muscles in your right arm for more correct positioning, but I think H3's virtual stock stabilization system works best the closer your right hand is to your face/the HMD.

Doing this for a while also made instinctive point shooting come to me very naturally. It's really rewarding being able to hit something with reasonable accuracy by just looking at it. Also a bit scary sometimes when you dispatch a sneaky sosig before your brain even catches up to what was happening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirViver posted:

I think the virtual stock system works reasonably well, at least for close to medium range stuff. Granted, using a physical stock immediately feels much better, but it's only really feasible if tune it for a specific gun and stick to it. Playing T&H with one doesn't really work, IMO, at least from a "competitive" point of view (you'll do worse with a stock than without).

Have a look at the latest devlogs, because aiming with a sniper rifle's getting some love lately to prepare for the upcoming maps.

SirViver posted:

Doing this for a while also made instinctive point shooting come to me very naturally. It's really rewarding being able to hit something with reasonable accuracy by just looking at it. Also a bit scary sometimes when you dispatch a sneaky sosig before your brain even catches up to what was happening.

Wait til you start snap-shooting Sosigs in the head with handguns :stonklol:.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

SirViver posted:

What you really have to give up with the virtual stock though is pretending to hold the gun "correctly", as in your hands actually being where the grip/foregrip is. What works best for me is completely tucking my right arm in, basically linking it to my chest for increased stability (elbow to your side, pulling your forearm in till you're squishing your bicep).
This sounds like the inverse of the upright biathlon stance, which has you tucking your left arm instead (even tilting your body back a bit)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Walrus posted:

Well if it helps I'm planning on getting back into Soundboxing for the fall once it cools down. Let me know if you have any song requests.

:woop:

When you start doing soundboxing again, I've got two songs I'd love to see your take on.

I would love a really frenetic beat map for Fuel by Metallica. All the current soundboxing maps for this song are too tame.e.

Not sure how well this will work for a workout, but "Honey I'm Good" is a fun song that I discovered recently. With Lyrics Official video

Shine posted:

Hot Squats 2

I was prepared to laugh about this, but it's a real game. How does the first one (which is free) compare to the sequel?

Marxalot posted:

Nth-ing pistol whip. You're going to do a lot of dodging and squatting with that one.

Also Thrill of the Fight if you have enough room to not throw a right hook through your TV

Thank you, and everyone else, for the pistol whip recommendation.

I have and like Thrill of the Fight, but my problem right now is that I don't have freedom to move forward and back in roomscale anymore.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thoom posted:

Annoyingly, neither of the apps that do this support the 1.0 Vive lighthouses, which I assume have the same problem.
Amusingly my 1.0 Lighthouses' power management is more reliable than it's ever been before since the 2004 update. I went years manually plugging and unplugging them, but 2004 fixed everything and they've worked perfectly every time since.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The 1.0 Lighthouses uses a "regular" Bluetooth dongle, right? At least the Vive one registers as such to the system. The Index stuff appears to be some SteamVR internal user driver crap that broke with the update, and Valve can't be assed to look into it, probably thanks due to their flat ADHD hierarchy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I do think HL: Alyx is the best VR game made overall, Lemming's not entirely wrong here; Half-Life Alyx is a really solidly-polished game, but it's clearly built entirely on VR design concepts from 2016-ish with teleport-centric movement and level design built around the then-looming specter of motion sickness that actually wasn't all that big a deal. They seem to have locked the design in early on in the project and built outwards from there without revising for new design concepts as time went on. Even say something along those lines in that dev video from a while back.

This thread loves to get really echo chambery about how everybody is such a hardcore VR gamer but acting like motion sickness in VR is a "looming spectre" that doesn't actually exist and is a foolish thing for devs to worry about is insane.

You need to accept that you are like, .0001% of the population. Most people have barely played a few VR games or none. Making a game that's comfortable for people who don't have 2,000 hours of VR-legs isn't a fools errand, its the way the game should have been designed.

I'm sorry but this is just kinda arrogant. Teleport movement isn't strictly awful like this thread loves to pretend; I regularly still choose teleport over free movement even when I have the choice of both. Even after I've had HMDs for literally 5 years now, as long or longer than all of you.

Feel free to just rag on me and act like this is all purely because I'm bad at VR or something, but that's just not reality.

If I designed a VR game myself right now TODAY I would make it control exactly like HL-Alyx does. Boneworks lets you do all the things eveybody in this thread wants and who is still playing boneworks? Alyx is way more fun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The fundamental issue is that both teleportation and smooth locomotion are riddled with tradeoffs. Neither is a really great solution that juices the game up and makes it feel great, they're only there to enable the rest of the gameplay. Like taken on their own, teleporting around or smoothly locomoting around isn't inherently fun or satisfying feeling, and they both have a different set of drawbacks.

The stuff that really excels are where everything you're doing on a moment to moment basis feels great. For example, in Alyx a lot of the fun isn't coming from moving over to a set of cabinets, it's looking at the environment and taking in all the detail and world building, and then once you get to the cabinets the fun is in rummaging around and grabbing stuff and looting. The movement itself doesn't heighten or amplify that experience, it just lets you get place to place. Ultimately those two options are a matter of preference, but I think they both suck because neither is fun on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is pressing "W" to move forwards "fun" either? Its just something you do so you can play the game. The fun in a flatscreen game comes from the action, the shooting, the guns.

Movement can be fun, but usually only in games like Quake 3 or Titanfall 2 that really push the limits.

I think just shooting Combine or Headcrabs in Alyx is super fun though. But also like you said, exploring the world is way more compelling than like, Boneworks' levels.