Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah lol my current rule has it and he has mental breakdowns when inviting new knights to join the army. can't even talk to his wife who hates him without stressing out.

I honestly love the stress system for this, it adds strategic depth to choices that would otherwise be no-brainers and really makes you feel the impact of your traits beyond minor stat bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DrPop posted:

Feels like the notification system needs work. I was playing a game as Alexios Komnenos, took the imperial throne, and got a notification in the 1090s that Catholics could Crusade now. Nodded and looked away from the Eastern Mediterranean for a few years and then suddenly there was a Catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem, which presumably came about as the result of a Crusade. Was never notified about it.

Wish there were some global pop-ups for stuff like great holy wars.

Pls tell me your procedure for taking the throne, I asked for tips upthread. If it was a faction how do you get people to join? Also, if you peacefully take, do you get Constantinople or have to rule the empire from your lovely backwater?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
First CK game, absolutely loving it but obviously swamped by decisions and I have no idea what I'm doing!

So this is a question about marriages: my fail cousins and half brothers and such, when sorting for relevance the game gives me mostly a list of lowborn spouses which seems to mean a pretty huge hit to prestige? how bad is that or is there a level of strategy to lowering the prestige of my less-than-impressive kin?

edit: also I assume that initially building up my main domain is a good move to get the economy growing as opposed to building up my vassals who don't pay me nearly enough in tax imho, more or less correct?

Martout fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 4, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh cool! And is there not a penalty for levying from a vassal too often then, or maybe that is something specific to tribal?

I'm on my heir from the Daura game I started and it seems kind of precarious having what nominally looks like a big kingdom but I only have a duchy and one of its counties under my control lol while all my vassals are only barely tolerating the situation and I can't improve it too much as a Shy Grey Eminence (ugh).

With this men-at-arms system it looks like I will have a minimum 1200 troops no matter what though? Still feel like I have a beefy enough army to keep expanding

The levies raised too long penalty seems to be replaced by a general "offensive war" opinion penalty. I'm not 100% on that but it's what I've observed.

Martout posted:

First CK game, absolutely loving it but obviously swamped by decisions and I have no idea what I'm doing!

So this is a question about marriages: my fail cousins and half brothers and such, when sorting for relevance the game gives me mostly a list of lowborn spouses which seems to mean a pretty huge hit to prestige? how bad is that or is there a level of strategy to lowering the prestige of my less-than-impressive kin?

Lowering prestige isn't a big deal, once your dynasty gains some renown your children will be born with a large pile of prestige anyway. Mostly what you lose out on by marrying lowborns is alliances.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 4, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK, time to do a inverted rule equal sexuality game

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Slider posted:

How do I spend/use piety? I have almost 1k.
People mentioned you can get cash from your bishop? I cannot find the option

the bishop, if holding land, will pay taxes like any other vassal

you want to hit up the pope (in rome) for money. he's got buckets of it and you can cash in some of your piety

otherwise, check your available decisions (f8) and see if there's anything you can do with it

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh cool! And is there not a penalty for levying from a vassal too often then, or maybe that is something specific to tribal?

i dont think there is a penalty. this existed in ck2 but i haven't seen it yet in ck3

Martout posted:

you don't really have to give a drat about what your random cousins are up to. see if any of them have good stats and marry them off/keep an eye on them, but otherwise if it's just some low tier jackass in your dynasty marry them off for laughs and let them live out their little simulated life

in general, you want to expand your dynasty as much as possible, and even some boring idiot fourth cousin can produce more dynasts who might be good in 30 years

e: oh and in regards to your cousins prestige level, you dont care at all about your cousins prestige level

Martout posted:

edit: also I assume that initially building up my main domain is a good move to get the economy growing as opposed to building up my vassals who don't pay me nearly enough in tax imho, more or less correct?

correct, always invest in your own lands before you invest in vassal lands. vassals will invest in their own lands over time. it may be worthwhile to put some +tax creating buildings in a brand new holding or something to give them a little headstart but otherwise you're just spending your money making your vassals more powerful relative to yourself

generally you'll make more money schmoozing your vassals and increasing the share of taxes they hand over, than increasing their base taxes so the small cut they give you becomes larger from the bottom up

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 4, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I honestly love the stress system for this, it adds strategic depth to choices that would otherwise be no-brainers and really makes you feel the impact of your traits beyond minor stat bonuses.

Yeah, it also ruins my usual plan of "raise all my children myself". Because raising multiple children yourself will WRECK your stress level.

The realism is there, folks.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

How does seduction focus help?

going that route provides an immediate opinion boost with men which at that start is EVERY other ruler in africa effectively. This makes things easier to diplomacy, the fertility boost is good for pumping out a metric ton of heirs which if you want the achievement you actually do desire because even though there will be thunderdome it will ensure your dynasty is around and in power. More importantly you start with a trait that lets you get some learning lifestyle exp every 5 years so you can still make some progress towards prophet before you actually pull the trigger on that lifestyle to get the -50% boost so you can reform Bori. Going learning really early is not the greatest because you don't have the accumulated piety yet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know you’re good when you appear several times in your family tree

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Warning: it is possible to gain perks in a lifestyle after fully unlocking all three trees.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Martout posted:

A prestige hit isn't as big of a deal as it seems to be. If you're high up enough in rank that it would be a big difference then you should be getting several points in prestige every month, and if you're lower down then marry some dirt farmer is only going to lose you a pittance of prestige. Yeah it looks like a big number up front, but you're playing the long game by marrying someone with good stats and inheritable traits.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh also, the genius trait and the intellect congential trait provides a lifestyle exp boost. so its GREAT

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, I was 8-10 hours into the game last night, having played about 6 different starts across both eras without a ton of success.

Then I started a 1066 campaign as the Count of Valladolid in Spain and thought I was off to a rough #7. Except I'd never played as a Vassal before and here I was not only a Vassal, but a FRIEND and Court Chancellor to King Alfonso VI of Leon & Castile. It is CRAZY how being Friends with the King and having a high Diplomacy score just rakes in little freebies here and there. I was set up pretty well, but it wasn't until I switched to the Intrigue focus and started planning so, so many murders, including Alfonso's, that my game took off. Couldn't quite unite a duchy because of how people view alliance breakers in a kingdom (my friend, the King, made an alliance with me after I found the first of about three different mistresses of his) but man did I kill enough folks that Spain was a broken down kingdom ready for someone like my son to start uniting it one duchy at a time.

Played til 3 AM last night, at least 4 or 5 hours on this count and his now-duke son (who turned around and started sleeping with his own son and heir's wife, my old friend Alfonso's daughter, because grandkid wasn't making male heirs fast enough) and finally got to the point where it's confirmed, for me, that CK III is not just potentially great, but actually so.

Hell yeah.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Slider posted:

How do I spend/use piety? I have almost 1k.

If you don't want to Holy War, it can be worth spending Piety executing people. Dread is super OP, it makes it really easy to keep your vassals in line.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’ve played like 10 hours but I still haven’t found where you can find truces? Sometimes you can see one in the diplomacy field in the character viewer but often there’s nothing there despite me knowing that I have active truces.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Started as the sole count on Crimea in 867, sat around doing nothing for 50 years, inherited a duchy in the middle of Greece through a marriage on my grandson, said grandson also inherited a claim to the Byzantine throne because his mother declared war on the emperor at some point. The second I started playing as that grandson I set up a faction to put me on the throne, and almost every vassal in the empire supported me, so the emperor abdicated without any fighting.

Single county count to emperor within 2 years, not bad. Also found out that everyone that supports you during a faction like that gets a hook on you, so that was a lot of nonrefusable demands that popped up right afterwards.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Star posted:

I’ve played like 10 hours but I still haven’t found where you can find truces? Sometimes you can see one in the diplomacy field in the character viewer but often there’s nothing there despite me knowing that I have active truces.

It only appears on your own character I believe, and if you have too many alliances you might have to click the Diplomacy bar to show them all. Truces seem to be at the bottom (personally I'd put truces at the top).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
For anyone looking for a neat Muslim challenge start: I can recommend Wali Yunus of Tamasna in 867, a gay Muslim count ruling the one bastion of Najdatism in the world whose cultural head is a tribal on the Canaries. All your neighbors are Muslims who will marry you but also kinda hate you because you're a weird esoteric Muhakkima. You can start the game by either bending the knee to the Idrisid Sultan in Marrakesh and trying to worm your way to success, or by allying some other independent dukes to bully your way south through the desert Berber tribes and be strong enough to make a united stand when the Idrisids inevitably come for you all.

I chose to bend and then managed to scheme and civil war my way to half the Emirate of Fes through blackmail and stress. My stress event had me resort to witchcraft although I did also get the option to convert to Judaism which would've been fun. I finally saw a decent shot at murdering my liege and started the scheme ... only for the 95 stress to cause my Honest and Compassionate character to immediately keel over in a heart attack.

[E:] Specifically Tamasna represents these guys who

quote:

... followed a syncretic religion inspired by Islam with elements of Sunni, Shi'a and Kharijite Islam, mixed with astrological and traditional Berber mythology such as their taboo surrounding eating eggs and chickens, and the belief that the saliva of Salih and his family contained baraka, or, roughly translated, blessedness.

Take the chance to convert Iberia to Saliva Islam (Spitslam?) today!

Mantis42 posted:

God there's too many naked people hanging out in India.

You can't cut back on Jain nudists, you would regret that.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 4, 2020

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does assigning an educated to a child work? Like does it pass particular stats onto them or something?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah dealing with my Shy and Just king of Ireland is kinda funny. Like everything stresses him out! He's got sky high marshall stats though so I just have him conquering everything he can before having to talk to anyone pushes him over the edge.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How does assigning an educated to a child work? Like does it pass particular stats onto them or something?

correct, children tend to pick up traits from their guardians/educators. not always, there is some variance, but if you want to make a child into a warrior one day, have them educated by a good warrior

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think you guys may be mistaken on the education of the guardian mattering. I have had Elusive Shadows educate people into Mastermind Philosophers, tier 3 Learning Sultan has raised sons to 3-4 stars of almost every education type you can think of.

The only thing that seems to actually influence it is matching education trait to their childhood predisposition trait, and luck.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

luxury handset posted:

correct, children tend to pick up traits from their guardians/educators. not always, there is some variance, but if you want to make a child into a warrior one day, have them educated by a good warrior

so is it just the traits? or do the stat numbers matter?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

luxury handset posted:

Also if you educate your child yourself then you will get more influence over what traits they pick up. Which is why you should always educate your heir unless you have really lovely traits and stats.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also if you educate your child yourself then you will get more influence over what traits they pick up. Which is why you should always educate your heir unless you have really lovely traits and stats.

Alternately, getting a hook on your rival and making them let you take their heir as your ward is a FANTASTIC way to get all the fun story choices to make them as lovely a future opponent for your own kid as possible.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you guys may be mistaken on the education of the guardian mattering. I have had Elusive Shadows educate people into Mastermind Philosophers, tier 3 Learning Sultan has raised sons to 3-4 stars of almost every education type you can think of.

The only thing that seems to actually influence it is matching education trait to their childhood predisposition trait, and luck.

I'm suspecting this is the case too, though the system is never fully explained. I do want to know if there are things that affect it beyond "luck", as I imagine there needs to be more to it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh so to reform the faith I not only need the piety but also to hold 3 Holy Sites?

Still have a lot of expanding to do, then...

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Oh man, loving this game and this thread. About stress; my ruler had two children die unexpectedly only days apart and went from a strong capable warlord to a blackout drunk whose wife hates him.

Speaking of, my son and heir died from murder (!) and my spymaster had no idea it was coming. Is there any way to investigate who killed him after the fact?

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 4, 2020

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Thanks for the advice all.

luxury handset posted:

what do they want? losing a war in this game is not the end of everything, if they just want a county or something give it to them

otherwise, try to bait them onto good defensive terrain and pray your knights and men at arms are better than theirs. also make some allies and call them in

Yeah, it was just one county so I probably should have just given it up. And yeah, I need to go in with the mindset that losses will happen and I need to play the long game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh so to reform the faith I not only need the piety but also to hold 3 Holy Sites?

Still have a lot of expanding to do, then...

so it's still own personally or vassalize and not just rulers of your faith?

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
As someone who tried and failed to really get into CK2 and understand the mechanics, CK3 seems far more streamlined for someone with no idea of what to do.

Starting as the guy in Northwest Wales I ended up creating the kingdom and started to expand into Ireland and England. I'm amazed at how well I've been doing and I'm sure if I pushed it I could have gotten more before Scotland came and gobbled it up. Most of England converting to Lollardy made it really easy to Holy War for all the provinces I could ever want.

If anyone is having trouble here are some hot tips that helped me not suck as much:

- If you get attacked make sure to hire mercenaries, make sure your knights are up to par, and try and lure the army somewhere where they get a river crossing or disembark penalty. You'll crush the norse in no time
- On top of that, your daughters are valuable. Getting attacked by some guy with 6k troops and you only have 3k? Marry that girl off to someone you can get an alliance with and call those suckers in. You can do it in the middle of a war and it can really turn the tides. (Thanks Scottish queen!)
- You can change your spouses focus in your council menu. They default to helping you with everything which is ok, but if you have them focus on something they are good at you can get like a +8 to diplomacy if they are good at it, which can save your rear end when your new King is still hated by his vassals. Kept a lot of people out of factions this way.
- Go on a pilgrimage from the decisions menu. You can get LOADS of piety that you can use to Holy War or trade for money with the pope. It never seems to tell you that you can do this in an event or anything.
- Check which titles go to your heir in the Domain -> Succession menu. Then you can build up those counties specifically so you can take all the other stuff back from siblings who took the rest of your titles.
- Having trouble getting heirs? Use the seducer intrigue focus and get the perk that gives 30% fertility. I don't know what is in the Welsh water, but somehow I've had 3 gay kings so far. Pretty sure this is the only thing that kept me having heirs.
- Big foreign kingdom looking scary? Plot to murder that jerk and watch their empire implode.

Hopefully that's helpful to someone.

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 4, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Drone Incognito posted:

- Go on a pilgrimage from the decisions menu. You can get LOADS of piety that you can use to Holy War or trade for money with the pope. It never seems to tell you that you can do this in an event or anything.

This is actually something you can be notified about in the issues list. I'm a long-time CK2 player and I still frequently check that list because you can set a lot of decisions to show up there when available, like feasting or inviting knights. As a feudal ruler with plenty of prestige I like to invite knights at every possibly opportunity, because the knight cap is high and I frequently lose them or they get old and their prowess drops.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Qubee posted:

People were saying yesterday that you can revoke titles without incurring tyranny for wars declared that are part of your de jure / fabricated claims. I'm trying to revoke titles of people I've conquered, but it still incurs tyranny?!
what you can do is: 1) acquire claims to your dynasty's titles as the dynasty head (very relevant in your de jure holdings); and/or 2) fabricate the claim with your bishop. maybe there also has to be crime or treason for you to avoid a tyranny hit. i don't quite remember.

Sekenr posted:

One thing I'm always trying to do in CK is to get Alexios Komnin the emperorship in Byzantium and it turned out to be an excersize in frustration. Anyone have tips? I started the faction to get me the BYZ and some people joined and than it feels like you have next to no influence over it. I had the spymaster looking for secrets at random which got me some unlucky dude but thats about it. What can I do to get more people to join? I've seen dudes with -70 opinion of liege who still won't join. The list says there are people with weak hooks who might be persuaded to join but the button says you need a strong hook for that and no option to "persuade" them.
can be persuaded = bribe or sway them.

Softface posted:

How do you revoke multiple titles at once? I just put down a rebellion, have all the leaders in jail, so I have a valid reason to take them. However, it's only good once, and any revoked after that still incur tyranny. Shift + click doesn't work, and some of them are only presented one at a time, making it doubly impossible. The weird thing is, I know I did this just fine last night after a similar rebellion, which is also how I learned to always go for 100% war score on those things no matter how pressed I am.

I suppose I could just leave them in jail, but without loyal Russians who believe the same things my dad made up about 30 years ago it'll just happen again in 10-12 years.
i dunno. i think ck3 has changed the rules to allow for only one tyranny free revocation in the event of crime or treason. that has been my experience.

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 4, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chewbot posted:

Oh man, loving this game and this thread. About stress; my ruler had two children die unexpectedly only days apart and went from a strong capable warlord to a blackout drunk whose wife hates him.

Speaking of, my son and heir died from murder (!) and my spymaster had no idea it was coming. Is there any way to investigate who killed him after the fact?

i think it's possible if you dig around with the spymaster, now that secrets are persistent objects in the world then you'll have to hope enough people were involved in the plot for one of them to give up the secret

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

so it's still own personally or vassalize and not just rulers of your faith?

Bori rulers hold 4 out of 5 holy sites but the reform is blocked by saying "You don't hold 3 sites" so I think it must be the former?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

On the bright side having a Shy Grey Eminence is kind of balancing out, I can do the Befriend scheme and the chances of getting positive events to lower stress are pretty good :unsmith:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On the bright side having a Shy Grey Eminence is kind of balancing out, I can do the Befriend scheme and the chances of getting positive events to lower stress are pretty good :unsmith:

Plus you can get the -5% Stress gain per friend perk and eventually lower it to almost nothing using the Befriend scheme.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Magil Zeal posted:

This is actually something you can be notified about in the issues list. I'm a long-time CK2 player and I still frequently check that list because you can set a lot of decisions to show up there when available, like feasting or inviting knights. As a feudal ruler with plenty of prestige I like to invite knights at every possibly opportunity, because the knight cap is high and I frequently lose them or they get old and their prowess drops.

This is very useful, thanks. The tutorial was good for the basics but they never really went into details about the nitpicky things like these types of settings.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JosefStalinator posted:

Note: Do not get a pet cat and dog at the same time. :(

EDIT: Also screw you queen im keeping my cat

I gave a cat to my queen as part of becoming soulmates and holy fuckballs the amount of poo poo she gets done (and lets me do) now. The shy-stress from the soulmate process paid itself off in spades. :stare:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

So what was going on here?
My brother wasn't voting for himself, even though everyone else (including me) was.
Did the other guy use a hook on him?

Huh, I guess my brother *really* didn't want to rule. I got the message that I inherited his kingdom, so I thought he died and went to change my vote to my other brother....only to find out that he's still alive and just gave all his titles back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

a tier 3 education is generally good for tutoring. i believe one of the initial advice tooltips says that. but yeah the rest is unclear.