Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
There is a risk it was posted before, but I've read decent amount of pages back, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Z2t7nq_sU

first snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

OzFactor posted:

I picked this back up yesterday and immediately got lost with my old character so I started a new one. I always loved playing magic fencer types in 1 and 2 and got my rear end handed to me real quick when I tried to start out playing 3 that way, but I feel like I know my way around a little bit better now so I'm going to try it. Does Magic Weapon do extra poise damage, or just extra magic damage? Also is there any good light armor near the beginning of the game? I'm running around in the Master's robes just because the starter Sorcerer robes look dumb.

The buff spells just add a portion of your MagAdj as magic damage (Magic Weapon adds 0.75, GMW 0.85, CMW 0.95).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

There will be a swamp, but the poison will apply when you aren't waist-deep in the muck.

Hell yeah. A poison mist floating above the swamp water and the only way to avoid it is to trudge through the water. Would be a cool twist

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

agrielaios posted:

There is a risk it was posted before, but I've read decent amount of pages back, so

first snipe ever

It's always ok to post door squad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

agrielaios posted:

first snipe ever

I love poo poo like this

being a huge weirdo in souls pvp owns lol

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

OzFactor posted:

I picked this back up yesterday and immediately got lost with my old character so I started a new one. I always loved playing magic fencer types in 1 and 2 and got my rear end handed to me real quick when I tried to start out playing 3 that way, but I feel like I know my way around a little bit better now so I'm going to try it. Does Magic Weapon do extra poise damage, or just extra magic damage? Also is there any good light armor near the beginning of the game? I'm running around in the Master's robes just because the starter Sorcerer robes look dumb.

The Magic Weapon buffs kinda suck rear end without some significant INT investment; you should use Pine Resin as it will apply a much stronger buff than anything you'll have access to for quite a while, plus it's stat-free.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In general magic is pretty weak until you have lots and lots of INT. The way to get a good magic fencer in DS3 is to first get a good fencer, then add magic.

OzFactor posted:

Also is there any good light armor near the beginning of the game? I'm running around in the Master's robes just because the starter Sorcerer robes look dumb.

assassin set is buyable after Greirat’s first pillage. The assassin (better starting class for a DEX/INT than sorcerer imo) also has it from the start obviously. Master’s attire looks crappy but is really light and available almost immediately. I guess there’s also cleric set in Undead Settlement.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If there's one thing I wish Dark Souls did away with it's equipment weight/fatrolling. I want to dress like Smough but also be a wizard, let me have both.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh I would kind of like a Fromsoft game where every character gets magic as a matter of course, like in King’s Field. Kind of like how Sekiro handles its prosthetic stuff, you can basically ignore it and focus on the core combat if you really want, but you can also level it up and do godly damage if you’re into that. Wouldn’t really fit Souls but might be good in another series.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

skasion posted:

In general magic is pretty weak until you have lots and lots of INT. The way to get a good magic fencer in DS3 is to first get a good fencer, then add magic.

Keep in mind that you can comfortably run with a raw infusion in the early game, so it's fairly easy to get str and dex to 10-12 or so to get the minimum requirements for your weapon of choice. Then from there you can pump int/att/hp (getting hp to 20 is super helpful in the early game). Soul arrow isn't fantastic until you get high levels of int, but it serves to take out early enemies. You can always pick up pyromancy too, as it scales with the average of int + faith. Setting enemies on fire is helpful too, as there's a special flailing animation that tends to interrupt them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

skasion posted:

Tbh I would kind of like a Fromsoft game where every character gets magic as a matter of course, like in King’s Field. Kind of like how Sekiro handles its prosthetic stuff, you can basically ignore it and focus on the core combat if you really want, but you can also level it up and do godly damage if you’re into that. Wouldn’t really fit Souls but might be good in another series.

Souls already did that with Dark Souls 1 and 2's pyromancies being completely build-independent (well, except for attunement slots I suppose).

e; Misremembered the flame in 2 does scale with stats, but still.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 3, 2020

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

YF-23 posted:

Souls already did that with Dark Souls 1 and 2's pyromancies being completely build-independent (well, except for attunement slots I suppose).

e; Misremembered the flame in 2 does scale with stats, but still.

They shoulda kept it that way imo

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been two days (not very long sessions) banging my head against Abyss Watchers. This is so embarrassing. Second phase is so cheap with his flame trails. My god how did I get so bad?

Invading is no fun either. Never get a straight duel, except this one time where the guy actually sent home his phantom and then just tried to parry me over and over unsuccessfully until he was dead.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

codo27 posted:

I've been two days (not very long sessions) banging my head against Abyss Watchers. This is so embarrassing. Second phase is so cheap with his flame trails. My god how did I get so bad?

Invading is no fun either. Never get a straight duel, except this one time where the guy actually sent home his phantom and then just tried to parry me over and over unsuccessfully until he was dead.

Oh, man, people are stealing my technique!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

codo27 posted:

try rolling and then I did it!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I felt like giving up at the Abyss Watchers on my first playthrough. Got no good advice except let the redeye phantom take care of the first phase and then roll roll roll. Never learned how to parry consistently in DS3 so shut up.

In short: don't give up skeleton

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think using gamestream and playing on the couch instead of sat up at my desk makes me lazy and less patient.

The only things I remember giving me trouble in the game first time around were NK, Midir and Gael. But then I'd played through DeS and 1&2 leading up to it so I was sharp as a tack

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Abyss watchers is a weird one for me because my first time through the game I beat them on my second try

On my second and third characters I had a lot more trouble. Guess my build the first time was just a good one for them. I think it was using one of the axes. Can't remember. Good game!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

axolotl farmer posted:

I felt like giving up at the Abyss Watchers on my first playthrough. Got no good advice except let the redeye phantom take care of the first phase and then roll roll roll. Never learned how to parry consistently in DS3 so shut up.

In short: don't give up skeleton

"Don't give up skeleton" is by far the best, most effective and most uplifting advice that's come out of this game

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Next thing we need is one of those exploration games with no combat but featuring the DS messages system, the single biggest advancement in gaming since the demise of 989 studios

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

codo27 posted:

If you're having trouble playing aggressive, try moving away and playing passive until they make themselves open. The biggest openings are when they do downward strikes, especially the ones that explode.

codo27 posted:

If you want straight duels, there is an 1v1 arena you can unlock in a couple different ways in this game. Everyone who wants "straight duels" does the arena(or sometimes red soapstone summons), so don't ever expect to get that out of invasions. The host has no reason to 1v1 you if they don't have to, it's their world and you are the invader so they're gonna use whatever they have to win.
Invasions are for when you wanna roll around in the mud and get into weird scuffed multi-phantom fights and try to use the environment to your advantage.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

codo27 posted:

The swamp area is the worst place to invade, it is almost always a squad waiting to dump on invaders. Try again in later areas and you might find it more fun, that was my experience.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Just gotta shake the rust off, you can still parry in phase 2 once you get used to the tells, and there is one string of attacks that almost always leaves the guy open to a backstab if you can dodge thru it. Against the Abyss Watchers I always try to stay on them, they leave themselves open to backstabs more often than not.

If you want some honest "1v1 me bruh" PvP you'll need to unlock it by killing Champion's Gravetender in Ashes of Ariandel. Otherwise invading is going to be a diceroll. There are 2 areas where invading may actually put you at an advantage, Road of Sacrifices and Anor Londo, since both are home to "territory invaders" so you'll have some backup.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Last time I did pvp there was pretty much always a fightclub going on at the plaza after Sullyvahn where people did honourable 1v1s.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

YF-23 posted:

Last time I did pvp there was pretty much always a fightclub going on at the plaza after Sullyvahn where people did honourable 1v1s.
I was itching for battles one night and got summoned a bunch with red soapstone there a month ago on PC.
Can confirm.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

YF-23 posted:

Ik ik, I've posted it many times here. But I always used to hang out here and PvP at launch, when I captured this screenshot, The Greatest Screenshot

All sitting and watching, waiting our turn. A more civilized time

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

codo27 posted:

Ik ik, I've posted it many times here. But I always used to hang out here and PvP at launch, when I captured this screenshot, The Greatest Screenshot

All sitting and watching, waiting our turn. A more civilized time

On PS4 this place is always insanely busy to this day, pretty much any time. I’m no good at PvP so I always get slaughtered

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

neurotech posted:

I think I’ve hosed up bad. I'm at the dragon bonfire in the Ash Lake. I'm cursed. No purging stone. My +5 Uchi does 45~ damage to the crabs which is about 10% of their health at best, and I don't think I want to know how little damage I can do to the Black Hydra. I'm about ready to give up :sadday:

Update: I left it for a few days, and then came back. Ran all the way back from Ash Lake and have now completed Sen's Fortress. I'm ready to despair again after encountering the pair of Silver Knight archers in Anor Londo.

neurotech fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 4, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

neurotech posted:

Update: I left it for a few days, and then came back. Ran all the way back from Ash Lake and have now completed Sen's Fortress. I'm ready to despair again after encountering the pair of Silver Knight archers in Anor Londo.

Theres a DS1 thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855732

Those archers aren't even hard! Make like you're under direction of the Imperial Guards of Cyrodill. Keep Moving.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

codo27 posted:

Theres a DS1 thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855732

Those archers aren't even hard! Make like you're under direction of the Imperial Guards of Cyrodill. Keep Moving.

Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

codo27 posted:

The approach to them gets rough. A shield with high stability like the Eagle Shield or something else meaty helps you get close enough to them that they'll swap to melee and be easier to deal with though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man I've always just ran full bore up the ramp thing and basically got to them and started smashing before they even switch, or so I remember it. Right one can be a little trickier. But then I almost always play 2H full tank mode so even they go down pretty quickly. Dont forget how OP archery is in this game either, doesn't hurt to plink em with a couple shots before your approach if you can pull it off

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I struggled with them a bit but I also refused to use a shield or ranged weapons. I just kind of randomly rushed the one on the right one time and it worked after not working a couple of times.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Every time I do the archers, I vow not to cheese it by making the right one fall off, and every time I back off a bit to avoid his attack and he just falls on his own.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Still moving along in the game and doing pretty well so far (for me in a souls game anyway). I just beat the Pontiff who I could barely touch until I switched to sword and board which made him a lot easier. I've been switching between using a sharp astora greatsword and a sharp lothric knight sword and shield. After the pontiff I started seeing all of these 'the real game begins' and 'beware of invader' type messages, and sure enough I was immediately invaded by somebody. Now often I'm the cowardly type of dark souls player that plays offline when embered but not today so I saw this guy approach me, run around in a circle a few times at a distance, and then just leave? It was kind of strange. I must have looked like either a complete noob who wasn't worth fighting, or just not worth it somehow.

So my vigor and endurance are in the mid twenties and my dex is 36 or so (started as a knight). Any recommendations on where to go next for a good build? I'm thinking I may put a few points into vitality to expand the types of armor I can wear, or maybe dabble in one of the spell types (I haven't tried any spells yet).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That guy was probably looking for a fight club or something and not a pub stomp, a lot of people do those right after Pontiff.

Your build sounds it like it’s on a pretty good track. I’d add vitality until I’m satisfied with my fashion, then bump vigor up to 50 and dex up to 40, then endurance to 40 as well if you’re still leveling. It’s kind of hard to dabble in spells in this game, most of them aren’t very good without lots of investment.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Still moving along in the game and doing pretty well so far (for me in a souls game anyway). I just beat the Pontiff who I could barely touch until I switched to sword and board which made him a lot easier. I've been switching between using a sharp astora greatsword and a sharp lothric knight sword and shield. After the pontiff I started seeing all of these 'the real game begins' and 'beware of invader' type messages, and sure enough I was immediately invaded by somebody. Now often I'm the cowardly type of dark souls player that plays offline when embered but not today so I saw this guy approach me, run around in a circle a few times at a distance, and then just leave? It was kind of strange. I must have looked like either a complete noob who wasn't worth fighting, or just not worth it somehow.

So my vigor and endurance are in the mid twenties and my dex is 36 or so (started as a knight). Any recommendations on where to go next for a good build? I'm thinking I may put a few points into vitality to expand the types of armor I can wear, or maybe dabble in one of the spell types (I haven't tried any spells yet).

What color phantom was it?

In that area, whites and yellows are friendlies (and you would have summoned them), blues, blue/reds, reds, yellow/reds are all enemies, and a purple is....a bit of a gamble.

Purples are unique in that they invade people, but can also be seen by and attack enemies. This means they can help you, or hinder you. At any rate, even if someone seems friendly - when you get to the boss door, either kill them, or slip inside - Purples cannot help with the boss fight.

Invasions are pretty fun in DS3, and not the awful twinkfest they could be in OG Dark Souls. As a host, you always have the advantage. The area after Pontiff can get pretty fun and crowded if multiple people invade, then the bluecops come in to drive out the reds, etc. Pretty fun having 6 players running around in a big brawl.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

codo27 posted:

Elden ring better not have any fuckin poison swamps

lol

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It was a red phantom. I honestly don't think I've ever 'won' in an invasion (as either side). I remember attempting my first invasion in Demon's Souls and getting so thoroughly owned I just never tried again in any other souls game. I do enjoy jolly coop once I'm familiar with an area, but I try to avoid coop with new bosses or areas unless I get completely stuck.

skasion posted:

That guy was probably looking for a fight club or something and not a pub stomp, a lot of people do those right after Pontiff.

Your build sounds it like it’s on a pretty good track. I’d add vitality until I’m satisfied with my fashion, then bump vigor up to 50 and dex up to 40, then endurance to 40 as well if you’re still leveling. It’s kind of hard to dabble in spells in this game, most of them aren’t very good without lots of investment.

Sounds like a good plan and that's good to know about spells. One thing I haven't touched yet is turning the souls into weapons. Anything you'd recommend there for my build? The vast majority of the stuff looks like spells or hybrid spellcaster weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It was a red phantom. I honestly don't think I've ever 'won' in an invasion (as either side). I remember attempting my first invasion in Demon's Souls and getting so thoroughly owned I just never tried again in any other souls game. I do enjoy jolly coop once I'm familiar with an area, but I try to avoid coop with new bosses or areas unless I get completely stuck.

Sounds like a good plan and that's good to know about spells. One thing I haven't touched yet is turning the souls into weapons. Anything you'd recommend there for my build? The vast majority of the stuff looks like spells or hybrid spellcaster weapons.

Havel’s ring (stray demon soul) is good for most builds. The Farron greatsword (abyss watcher soul) is intended for dex builds though I’ve never liked it much. Most boss weapons are fairly big so they kind of have a tendency to be strength focused.