Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

I'm the header bolt that someone tried to drill and gave up.

I'm the IMS bearing that was reportedly already replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jymmybob posted:

That's a different and worse(?) interior. I like the brightness of the Christmas theme interior but the miami one has the awesome orange paint.
Holy poo poo, you're right. There's two "kinda" similar in the world.

The poor krauts in Zuffenhausen when they were assembling those probably had to wear sunglasses and wondering WTF is with Americans.

Bajaha posted:

Reposting for posterity once the link goes dead

As they say, nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Wow. That's certainly a thing :monocle:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

I'm the IMS bearing that was reportedly already replaced.

look you can't lubricate it better then having a quart of oil every 100 miles leak over the top of it can you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It may be happening!

edit: PPI Friday.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 2, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

It may be happening!

edit: PPI Friday.

It's happening!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome! We expect a mountain of pics! :colbert:

Congrats

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Residency Evil posted:

It's happening!

wow the 993 is so god drat beautiful, congratulations

hi porsche thread btw, been lurking, am waiting for the right panamera/cayenne to come along so i can ditch bmw for stuttgarts finest :)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The right Panamera is the wagon.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

It's happening!

This is a really cool car. Congrats!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:hellyeah: What a beauty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah that's tight

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

:perfect:

That is a great colour.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks guys, I'm super pumped. Going to have some routine maintenance taken care of in Florida before they ship it so it's ready to go here, so it may be a week or two before I get it.

I guess I'm not getting a Cayman GTS 4.0, but I get to live my dream that started with the July 1996 issue of car and driver.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's better. Good job.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Russian Bear posted:

The right Panamera is the wagon.

100%. I'm holding off for now because a relative has a '14 Cayenne GTS in grey with every. single. option. and 8k miles. Thing has just been sitting in his spare house for over 4 years not being driven. He says he'll sell it to me for like 10k if he decides to sell come next year. If the stars align on a Panamera though, I might just. That thing is jaw-dropping.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

It's better. Good job.

I think/hope so too. :)

I haven't told my wife yet. She knows I've been looking, but I'm thinking of just having it show up and seeing how it goes. For research/the future.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I haven't told my wife yet. She knows I've been looking, but I'm thinking of just having it show up and seeing how it goes. For research/the future.

Oh yeah, this sounds like a great idea.

(me last week: I found a great deal on an excavator! Her: whatever. But at least she knew.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Permission/forgiveness...yadda. as someone who has been married for 20 years there is certainly more than a grain of truth to it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Permission/forgiveness...yadda. as someone who has been married for 20 years there is certainly more than a grain of truth to it.

I'm at 20. So yeah.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah, this sounds like a great idea.

(me last week: I found a great deal on an excavator! Her: whatever. But at least she knew.)

Buncha serious folks on these comedy forums. :mad:

Just told her. She’s excited!

Apparently we’re getting a new bed as well. :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You bought this? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-911-46/

An excellent poor life choice. :getin:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Wrong wheels and state me thinks

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

:sigh: I wish, especially since it was within driving distance. I didn't want to spend quite that much, and wanted something with enough miles on it that I wouldn't feel bad for driving. I bought a 97 Carrera with about 65k miles on it, Arena Red over Black.

I got a car that I got through a dealer that was previously owned by a series of PCA members. Spoke to the last owner on the phone and he filled me in on the history and it was clear that he took great care of it. It was paint corrected/covered in Xpel 2 years back. Only changes from stock is a "golden rod" shift rod and KW V3 suspension (set at european height), which are both pretty common upgrades. The AC/engine/etc have also been gone through within the past 2-3 years, so it should be in fairly decent shape to run for the next few years versus one that just sat.

PPI came back with only fairly minor issues, so I went for it.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 5, 2020

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Congrats, that thing's gorgeous.

How many miles are you expecting to put on it a year?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What can you guys tell me about modern (996/997) manual transmissions? I've never heard anything bad about the 996 trans or 997. But the I also don't know anyone with a wealth of knowledge around the 996/997. I have a project where I would ideally use a G50, but the cost has me wondering if I can use a newer/cheaper 6 speed manual. My main concern is axle position and adaption to the 78 911 hubs - but that's about it. Mounting is custom, starter is custom, engine is rotary. Length is not a concern.

$1.6k+ shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Po...DMAAOSw3b9fD38M
vs
$4k+ shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-950-G50-Transmission-5-speed/283969956521?hash=item421dedaaa9:g:aEsAAOSwOBpfKyZX

I would feel a lot better knowing I could destroy 2-3 newer trans before even reaching the G50 cost and leave the G50 for the enthusiast.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 6, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

I think/hope so too. :)

Good work, that car is pretty hot looking. Great color.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

the spyder posted:

What can you guys tell me about modern (996/997) manual transmissions? I've never heard anything bad about the 996 trans or 997. But the I also don't know anyone with a wealth of knowledge around the 996/997. I have a project where I would ideally use a G50, but the cost has me wondering if I can use a newer/cheaper 6 speed manual. My main concern is axle position and adaption to the 78 911 hubs - but that's about it. Mounting is custom, starter is custom, engine is rotary. Length is not a concern.

$1.6k+ shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Po...DMAAOSw3b9fD38M
vs
$4k+ shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-950-G50-Transmission-5-speed/283969956521?hash=item421dedaaa9:g:aEsAAOSwOBpfKyZX

I would feel a lot better knowing I could destroy 2-3 newer trans before even reaching the G50 cost and leave the G50 for the enthusiast.

The mainshaft bearings in my 996 years ago failed and had to be replaced (at about 60k miles). Everything on the shaft is press fit so you need a many ton hydraulic press to do the work. They also use sealed bearings in the transmission which leads to similar issues as the IMS, just not as catastrophic. When mine were replaced the technician actually said he uses non-sealed bearings when he does replacements. That service was $3,500 if I remember right, but that was over ten years ago.

Hell if they're only $1,600 now that's a steal. Ten years ago replacements were $9,000.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Congrats Residency Evil! That's a dream car for sure.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dave Inc. posted:

The mainshaft bearings in my 996 years ago failed and had to be replaced (at about 60k miles). Everything on the shaft is press fit so you need a many ton hydraulic press to do the work. They also use sealed bearings in the transmission which leads to similar issues as the IMS, just not as catastrophic. When mine were replaced the technician actually said he uses non-sealed bearings when he does replacements. That service was $3,500 if I remember right, but that was over ten years ago.

Hell if they're only $1,600 now that's a steal. Ten years ago replacements were $9,000.

Thanks for the info. Turns out you have to cut the floor due to the extra length. I found the pelican forums and am now considering using a modded subi box. We’ll see. It’s just pipe dreams at this point. :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
993 is getting shipped next Monday/Tuesday, so I should have it next week. Oil/brake fluid was flushed, ready to get in/drive. :getin:

Just requested the deposit back on the GTS 4.0. Maybe I'll actually buy a brand new car one of these days, but not yet. I'll probably put it towards:

1. The hilariously expensive Porsche PCM/Carplay radio
2. The nice looking Continental radio you guys have posted here that's $160. Unfortunately, the website that sells the harness to swap the pins to get it working correctly (https://www.bergvillfx.com) seems to be down.
3. Clear corner lights for the 993, which are annoyingly expensive.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Porsche Thread: Annoyingly Expensive

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Russian Bear posted:

Porsche Thread: Annoyingly Expensive

Not an empty quote.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a question about Porsche interiors. A couple of weeks back I put in an order for a Taycan 4S in Volcano Grey with black leather... and saw some photos of the red interior and am having second thoughts. The build isn't locked yet so I can change and there's not a noticeable price difference. Anyone got a Bordeaux Red interior? How well does it age? I think the black full leather (plus the Dark Silver accents and the RGB lighting) looks pretty awesome but maybe isn't very "special".

Basically the same interior as my order

Bordeaux Red

The back seats look great in a contrasting colour.

Here is the config http://www.porsche-code.com/PMME3W30

Thanks for advice

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
We had a red/black partial leather interior on our Macan with the super bolstered 18-way seats and after 50k miles there wasn't any noticeable wear. The two-tone interior absolutely owns and you shouldn't worry about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Black is nice and safe (if super common) but I really like that red and contrast in the back seats.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Get the exciting colour. There's too many fancy cars running around in boring colour combos (says the man with boring white on black and black on black cars...)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That does look nice. I do wonder if I'll get pissed off with the red on long journeys (may not be a problem in an EV).

I've just discovered that you can spec the centre panels of the seats in a different colour which also opens up the lighter colours I'd disregarded as too likely to get messed up. Too many choices!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have red and black with a brighter red on the interior (not in a porsche) and it does not get annoying on long journeys. However, the center console and dash trim are not red, which probably helps.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Red seats are sexy as hell. Black is boring and hot to sit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

gently caress "special" or "boring" or whatever. It's your car, get what you think looks best. If you think black looks best then get it. If the only thing stopping you from getting red is the fear of fading that won't really happen, get red.

If the dash trim was black instead of red on the red version id probably get that, but I don't like the red dash trim and you spend a lot of time looking at it. Red back seats are slick as hell though.