Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't even know what the headline game is supposed to be here.

I am genuinely excited for Strange Brigade (fun co-op!), I want to try Generation Zero, and Vampire the Masquerade + Shapeshifting Detective were on the wishlist. It's not an amazing bundle but I continue to get these and don't regret them.

Also Forager owns, I'm glad more people will get it!

That said, I already have Evoland, does anyone in here want it? Whoever quotes me first gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Serephina posted:

Huh? Got a link for that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/humblebundles/comments/ejb54u/really_humble_bundle_antivaccine_books_in_your/

I don't know if they've turned around since, but I canceled my Humble Monthly after this. Sure, they removed it from the bundle after people complained, but the fact that they put it in there in the first place upset me. Their response to it wasn't great at the time, I think it was something like they couldn't be bothered to actually curate their curated selections of items for sale?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Occupation had a giant bomb quick look that made it look sort of interesting to play. Also, I thought Golf with your friends is a pretty popular game? The line-up seems actually pretty solid, it doesn't have any huge triple AAA game, but the rest of the game selection isn't padded out with cheap garbage nobody would ever be interested in playing.

It doesn't surprise me that Humble would accidentally include an anti-vaccination book. The books in their humble bundles are almost always complete garbage.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Generation Zero is a perfectly solid open world survival game if you're into that genre at all, with the bonus of also clearly being Simon Stahlenhag Art: The Game, no matter how much they try to deny it. It's jank as gently caress at times but I still recommend it, if only for the incredible sound and environment design.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chainclaw posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/humblebundles/comments/ejb54u/really_humble_bundle_antivaccine_books_in_your/

I don't know if they've turned around since, but I canceled my Humble Monthly after this. Sure, they removed it from the bundle after people complained, but the fact that they put it in there in the first place upset me. Their response to it wasn't great at the time, I think it was something like they couldn't be bothered to actually curate their curated selections of items for sale?
They pretty much toss out whatever they think has a chance of sticking with people. I think calling them anti-vaxxers over that is probably a bit of an overreaction.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Psycho Landlord posted:

Generation Zero is a perfectly solid open world survival game if you're into that genre at all, with the bonus of also clearly being Simon Stahlenhag Art: The Game, no matter how much they try to deny it. It's jank as gently caress at times but I still recommend it, if only for the incredible sound and environment design.

How are the following aspects of it?

1) Looting/exploring for usable items?
2) Combat/gunplay?

This is the first time it's coming up on my radar, and it looks a bit more my jam than 7 Days to Die was, from what little I've noticed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1301947321291124738

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Blattdorf posted:

I like it how... No, actually I'm miffed that everyone seems to be ignoring Catherine completely here. I might even progress to disdain if that is not rectified soon.

Forager is cool. Golf With Your Friends is cool (friends not included). Impossible Lair is the good one. Plus Catherine. That's enough to make it a keeper, and the rest is a neat bonus.

I tried Catherine, and... I can respect what it's going for, but probably the only thing that gelled with me at all was the little "A or B" philosophical questions it throws at you between levels. Those aside, its particular brand of 3D block-pushing levels with bizarrely specific rules I could never quite wrap my head around and didn't have fun trying, the boss levels were an absolute gently caress of poorly (if at all) telegraphed instakills that would without fail burn through EVERY spare life I had, and the subject matter and general themes bounced off me like a superball. That and it's not even the complete edition from what I gather.

Between Forager, Impossible Lair, and a spare copy of Golf With Friends though, I might actually jump on this one.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Morter posted:

2) Combat/gunplay?

This is the first time it's coming up on my radar, and it looks a bit more my jam than 7 Days to Die was, from what little I've noticed.

Well there's no true base building or even crafting really so usable items are near strictly guns, attachments for them, and ammo to shoot them, and some rando consumable items like radios to be used for lures and flares and such, plus some occasional new cosmetic bits and blueprints to make them not so cosmetic. Guns don't break with use or anything so once you find one you have it, but there's multiple tiers to each gun representing how well maintained it is so there's enough of a carrot there, since you'll generally find a gun you like and then want to find the best version of said gun for better damage and handling. Actually exploring for this loot is one of the stronger points of the game in my opinion, as there's a lot of cool places to visit like well hidden military bunkers based on actual Swedish cold war defensive doctrine, good sized towns and cities, hermit cabins in the woods that were hoarding survival equipment, things like that.

Combat wise there's a good variety of enemy types (again, smaller group of different models with multiple tiers that all have different capabilities and tactics) and they generally have pretty effective AI, so the game is good at making you feel outmatched in most big shootouts and incentivizes stealth and creativity with rando junk items like gas cans. The gunplay itself is perfectly serviceable, if not incredible, but as I mentioned above the game has excellent sound design and that helps the gunplay a lot - most guns feel very powerful to shoot just by nature of the sound they make (though this is of course a two way street and machines will home in on you if you go loud within a few hundred meters of them)

I think my only major complaint with the combat side of Gen Zero is the shotguns feel kind of weak because they really don't have good armor penetration characteristics, which is extremely important as you get further into the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morter posted:

2) Combat/gunplay?

I found the looting in Generation Zero to be pretty bad. You’ll find thousands of crafting materials but there’s barely anything to spend them on. You’ll find thousands of bullets but inventory weight limits on not only your character but the storage as well means you’ll eventually have to stop picking it up or throw it away. Guns and gun modifications get incremental upgrades and as soon as you find a slightly better version you break the old one down into more useless crafting materials.

Unless you’re really into sneaking around robots it also quickly becomes Not A Solo game. The smaller robots you find at the start of the game and spread throughout actually are fun to fight but eventually you encounter larger groups of bigger robots which are are very tough and take many bullets to kill. The even larger tank robots take ages to kill if you want to fight them by yourself. If they spot you in the open your only chance is to run away unless you have a building to hide in.

If you do fight combat mostly just consists of hiding while an enemy fires a burst at you, peeking out to fire a burst at them, and then hiding again. If they get closer you run away while slapping many health kits on yourself.

I really wanted to like GZ as soon as I saw it but once I get off the tutorial island the gameplay loop became pretty dire.

Unless you have a group of people to play with so you can actually engage with the harder aspects of the game on a more even footing with the enemies I can’t really recommend it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I tried Catherine, and... I can respect what it's going for, but probably the only thing that gelled with me at all was the little "A or B" philosophical questions it throws at you between levels. Those aside, its particular brand of 3D block-pushing levels with bizarrely specific rules I could never quite wrap my head around and didn't have fun trying, the boss levels were an absolute gently caress of poorly (if at all) telegraphed instakills that would without fail burn through EVERY spare life I had, and the subject matter and general themes bounced off me like a superball. That and it's not even the complete edition from what I gather.

It's less a complete edition and more a slightly different take on the core premise. From what I know about both editions, there is some merit in actually playing both of them.

The block-pushing can actually get really addictive once it clicks with you how to actually play it. There is a really drat good reason why the game keeps explaining various techniques. You're supposed to recognize these patterns and use them - even abuse them - as you progress. If you've never seen a Catherine 1 player-2 controllers speedrun, it's worth checking it out to get a better grasp of how they apply these techniques on the fly.

This is more for other people, to be honest. If the game didn't grab you, there's no need to force yourself to like it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

still don't understand if this thread title is a reference to Michael Douglas' career or RoTK

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

impossible lair kicks rear end btw

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I played strange brigade on Xbox thanks to gamepass and it was pretty dull

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Personally, for (legacy) $12, i am excited about :
- Generation Zero
- Forager
- Strange Brigade
- Catherine (Although i do own it on ps3)

I do own yooka lalyee , golf with friends, and evoland and can say i enjoy all three of those.

strategery fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't surprise me that Humble would accidentally include an anti-vaccination book. The books in their humble bundles are almost always complete garbage.

One of their ebook bundles was a collection of "books" about how to win at Fortnite, all of which were from the same author and were really, really blatantly just copy and pasted versions of the same basic tips over and over.

And if you know anything about how often Fortnite updates, you'll realize those things were probably dated before he even finished "writing" them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think there's a single game here that anyone is actually like, excited for. Not even a solid indie darling.

its a really good month lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiovorax posted:

They pretty much toss out whatever they think has a chance of sticking with people. I think calling them anti-vaxxers over that is probably a bit of an overreaction.

They took the book out of the bundle when they were told about it. It's absolutely an over reaction.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

They took the book out of the bundle when they were told about it. It's absolutely an over reaction.

Sorry that’s unacceptable! I am going still be angry and do absolutely no research to see if they actually made changes to correct the issue!

Anyway! I think this bundle looks pretty good I haven’t subscribed to humble before but for $12.99 it seems like a solid deal every month?

Forager seems like a lot of fun from what I saw of it when I looked it up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MarcusSA posted:

Anyway! I think this bundle looks pretty good I haven’t subscribed to humble before but for $12.99 it seems like a solid deal every month?

Forager seems like a lot of fun from what I saw of it when I looked it up.
You can also pay less for a smaller collection of picks. Some months, I've genuinely not found it worth the money, but it offers you the ability to pause your subscription at will for that.

The Humble Trove (a selection of games you can download and play at will) has some decent stuff and a lot of very bad stuff, but the decent stuff is very decent, such the entire Avadon series and such.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I found the looting in Generation Zero to be pretty bad. You’ll find thousands of crafting materials but there’s barely anything to spend them on. You’ll find thousands of bullets but inventory weight limits on not only your character but the storage as well means you’ll eventually have to stop picking it up or throw it away. Guns and gun modifications get incremental upgrades and as soon as you find a slightly better version you break the old one down into more useless crafting materials.

Unless you’re really into sneaking around robots it also quickly becomes Not A Solo game. The smaller robots you find at the start of the game and spread throughout actually are fun to fight but eventually you encounter larger groups of bigger robots which are are very tough and take many bullets to kill. The even larger tank robots take ages to kill if you want to fight them by yourself. If they spot you in the open your only chance is to run away unless you have a building to hide in.

If you do fight combat mostly just consists of hiding while an enemy fires a burst at you, peeking out to fire a burst at them, and then hiding again. If they get closer you run away while slapping many health kits on yourself.

I really wanted to like GZ as soon as I saw it but once I get off the tutorial island the gameplay loop became pretty dire.

Unless you have a group of people to play with so you can actually engage with the harder aspects of the game on a more even footing with the enemies I can’t really recommend it.

I soloed the entire game without any serious issue and the vast majority of that time wasn't super stealthy either. You have to shoot robot weakpoints to have combat be even remotely viable, which is barely communicated to you ingame to be fair. But yeah. Shoot optics, gas cans, ammo storage, things like that, and only engage on your terms if you can help it and you'll be knocking down even military-grade Tanks in a couple of mags of 7.62. Just doing the peek and shoot at an armored target is gonna see fights go more like what you're talking about.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

They've removed a ton of grinding from NMS, and even if the base building isn't great, it's good enough to make something that feels like a home, and that really helps. It's a divisive game, and I get that it doesn't work for a lot of people, but folks should give it a chance, because for some people, it's absolutely wonderful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think if you can get No Man's Sky on sale for like twenty to thirty dollars, which it has been available for at times, then you're getting a decent deal and I'd say it's about what the game is legitimately worth. I just can't in good conscience say that anyone should spend the 60 dollars that it normally goes for.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Forager is fun, I went into it without having any idea how it works (started playing after the Nuclear update) and enjoyed it for a couple dozen hours or so. It can get very addictive to optimize stuff.

Just know that the game isn't good at giving you directions and there's a bunch of system you might not become aware of unless you go look them up on a wiki or something. I didn't know about the void portals or summoning bosses until I'd literally done everything else, and it turns out those can give you items that are necessary for later tiers of upgrades that I was stuck on.

Oh, it also has performance problems that worsen over time, so you might have to restart it at regular intervals or suffer insane slowdown of everything and the game logic going loopy. One of the main mechanics is set up automated resource gathering systems, and those will chug along every second, and once slowdown is introduced it messes with the game's timing so automatic pickups no longer work correctly and power plants stop giving boost benefits.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Forager is fun, I went into it without having any idea how it works (started playing after the Nuclear update) and enjoyed it for a couple dozen hours or so. It can get very addictive to optimize stuff.

Just know that the game isn't good at giving you directions and there's a bunch of system you might not become aware of unless you go look them up on a wiki or something. I didn't know about the void portals or summoning bosses until I'd literally done everything else, and it turns out those can give you items that are necessary for later tiers of upgrades that I was stuck on.

Oh, it also has performance problems that worsen over time, so you might have to restart it at regular intervals or suffer insane slowdown of everything and the game logic going loopy. One of the main mechanics is set up automated resource gathering systems, and those will chug along every second, and once slowdown is introduced it messes with the game's timing so automatic pickups no longer work correctly and power plants stop giving boost benefits.

Awesome! I got the bundle so I'm gonna install the game tonight and have a go at it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Playing Shadow of War, and it is fun but LOL after doing the first fort siege and all these event points on the map open up, tons of side stuff (I think much of it is complete edition DLC) and I am so very glad I am not a completionist, it's insane.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PlushCow posted:

Playing Shadow of War, and it is fun but LOL after doing the first fort siege and all these event points on the map open up, tons of side stuff (I think much of it is complete edition DLC) and I am so very glad I am not a completionist, it's insane.

Yeah even as someone who loves those games to death please do not attempt to 100% them for any reason.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I was super close to not finishing Shadow of War because I tried to do too much, and even though the ending was kinda dumb (and a little fun) I'm glad I finished it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PlushCow posted:

The grand majority of mission icons you're gonna get on your map are to force the two DLC orc tribes to show up in that region. They're completely optional.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I got E:D and NMS at the same time right when covid was starting up and quarantine was going into effect. I ended up with over 200 hours in E:D and about 10 in NMS. They're both very flawed games imo, but they are also both very very chill and if you want chill space times I'm guessing one or the other will work for you. For me, it was not NMS. While E:D is definitely filled with tons of grindy gameplay, it really succeeds at making the galaxy seem vast and it was very compelling to me for quite a while. NMS on the other hand felt like a boring slog of punching trees and filling up meters. Also, going from E:D's flight model to whatever the gently caress is happening with NMS's spaceships was, well, disappointing to say the least. I checked out after building my first story-line space hovel. The game started adding in even more resources I needed to collect and process into different resources to build parts for my lovely shack and, man, gently caress all that. But that's just me and other people really like that stuff and hate what E:D does. The part that sucks is I don't think its really possible to get a solid idea about either game within the 2 hour playtime refund window for Steam so it makes it hard to know if either one is a good buy.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

That they're both very flawed ain't wrong. ED worked for me because of my expensive as gently caress flight sticks. It let me live the life of a space trucker, let me feel the power coursing through my ship as I throttled up, the retro boosters firing as I turned. NMS worked for me because I completely zoned out and just kept flying and flying, taking pictures of weird animals, strange terrain, building bases with my friends and sinking into the music and strange atmosphere.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Psycho Landlord posted:

I soloed the entire game without any serious issue and the vast majority of that time wasn't super stealthy either. You have to shoot robot weakpoints to have combat be even remotely viable, which is barely communicated to you ingame to be fair. But yeah. Shoot optics, gas cans, ammo storage, things like that, and only engage on your terms if you can help it and you'll be knocking down even military-grade Tanks in a couple of mags of 7.62. Just doing the peek and shoot at an armored target is gonna see fights go more like what you're talking about.

From an outside perspective this sounds like my experience with Horizon Zero Dawn: fights without utilizing weakpoints/tools = a bad time

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I played Generation Zero before it came out because my friend reviewed it, and it was just a very strange, clumsy game, but apparently they've done something to it since release, dunno what.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I liked Generation Zero for a dozen hours or so, it was cool seeing some of the indoor areas and exploring, the robot designs were cool and once you realized where the weakpoints were it wasn't too bad to kill most of them. They really do start throwing tons and tons of robots at you though to the point that all I was able to do sometimes was hide in a building and cheese my way out by keeping them aggro'd through the wall and shooting their weak bits from inside. There are items like flares that distract them and make it easier but it was exceptionally difficult. The looting was terrible though and had almost no purpose. The gear you could craft gave you 1% bonuses on various stats and usually looked dumb so I just wore what looked cool. So much time ended up being spent managing encumbrance and warping back to a base to put stuff away in the chest. If you have a friend who you can bilk into playing with you it's probably worth a couple of hours but I grew bored of it pretty quickly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I will say if you do play Generation Zero get one of the mods that at least gives you a lot more storage space. Your character having weight limits is understandable but your storage space also has a limit which is relatively low considering its a shared storage across the entire map.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Also, it's way more fun if you can shoot the poo poo about the Swedish countryside with some coop friends.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:allears:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
What's ED? I just read two pages of people saying that erectile dysfunction is better than No Man's Sky.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

What's ED? I just read two pages of people saying that erectile dysfunction is better than No Man's Sky.

Elite Dangerous

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God drat every time Steam shows me the avengers game I get so close to buying it even though I know it’s gonna be trash.

So, I was right about the fact I was going to end up buying it but wrong about it being trash, The Avengers is actually pretty fun and if it looks appealing to you at all you’ll probably like it. Maybe hold off for a sale, but it’s a pretty drat fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The 7th Guest posted:

it cant be any worse than greedfall's combat

or old republic for that matter, although i assume it's probably similarly hotbar/GCD-ish

It can be far worse, as proven by Dragon Age Inqisition.