Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Wilford Brimley was an orangutan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

There was a similar anecdote about leaving a screwdriver in the primate enclosure:
A chimp will use it to stab someone,
A bonobo will try to gently caress it,
A gorilla will ignore it,
And an orangutan will hide it so you can't find it and two weeks later its spaceship will be complete.

And a human will do any of the above.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

And a human will do any of the above.

sometimes more than one at once!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

aardwolf posted:

Just don't use the m-word.

Ook!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Afriscipio posted:

There was a similar anecdote about leaving a screwdriver in the primate enclosure:
A chimp will use it to stab someone,
A bonobo will try to gently caress it,
A gorilla will ignore it,
And an orangutan will hide it so you can't find it and two weeks later its spaceship will be complete.

That really, really feels like a Terry Pratchett quote

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm including a funny picture so that I can say that in the Seattle Zoo, there's a footbridge you walk over to look down at the Orangutan from above, and the signage on the railing is extremely clear that if you drop your cellphone in there it belongs to the orangutan now

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Sep 4, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

All this gorilla chat just reminded me that from 2010 on, Dublin Zoo rebuilt the Gorilla enclosure to make it as much like thier native forest-y environment as possible, and to make sure they had places where they could be private and out of sight from people and other gorillas because gorillas really appreciate a lil privacy sometimes. Apparently all the places where people can see them from are arranged so that the gorillas don't have a big old wall of faces staring at them :3:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pookah posted:

All this gorilla chat just reminded me that from 2010 on, Dublin Zoo rebuilt the Gorilla enclosure to make it as much like thier native forest-y environment as possible, and to make sure they had places where they could be private and out of sight from people and other gorillas because gorillas really appreciate a lil privacy sometimes. Apparently all the places where people can see them from are arranged so that the gorillas don't have a big old wall of faces staring at them :3:

I'm not the biggest fan of zoos in general, but I am at least glad some of them try.

I know there are some places that focus on only taking in animals that could not live in nature anymore, due to injury, etc.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Hey guys remember when an orangutan almost murdered Julia Roberts? https://youtu.be/oV_BC05vkYc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are we sure it wasn't Robin Williams?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We need zoos because in a few decades all the animals natural habitats will be annihilated and cleared to make room for meat processing plants. Zoos are their last refuge, their last stand against extinction

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zzulu posted:

We need zoos because in a few decades all the animals natural habitats will be annihilated and cleared to make room for meat processing plants. Zoos are their last refuge, their last stand against extinction

it's already the case for a bunch of animals that the captive populations are larger than wild.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's already the case for a bunch of animals that the captive populations are larger than wild.

Also there's a bunch of safari parks in Africa which are running successful breeding programmes for certain endangered species and they're funding themselves by letting big game hunters shoot their stock. They've found a way to monetize endangered animals, so now that they're actually worth something they're putting in the effort to make more of them.
:capitalism:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Saw this at the shops today - $13. Should I buy it?

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Pookah posted:

The last time I was in dublin zoo a gorilla poo poo into it's hand and ate it. 10/10 would visit again

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Unfettered by human norms and bound by no chains of shame, the enlightened Gorilla does whatever it wants. Truly, the gorilla is free while we are all slaves

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Kyle must win the war against the Ancient Tree

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hyperlynx posted:

That really, really feels like a Terry Pratchett quote

It isn't, it was a person on these here forums describing a story their zoo vet girlfriend had told them.

It was also in the middle of some unrelated terrible thread that eventually got gassed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also there's a bunch of safari parks in Africa which are running successful breeding programmes for certain endangered species and they're funding themselves by letting big game hunters shoot their stock. They've found a way to monetize endangered animals, so now that they're actually worth something they're putting in the effort to make more of them.

Some of the first conservationists, the stories go, are big game hunters who realised they were running out of game to hunt.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some of the first conservationists, the stories go, are big game hunters who realised they were running out of game to hunt.

Teddy Roosevelt wanted to protect every animal so that he, personally, could kill it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sounds kinda self-defeating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is also not true, just a talking point counteracts to use when they catch poo poo about trophy hunting. The hunting isn't handled by the parks but one of two international organizations which pay the parks like 10-15% of what the hunters pay them.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

cormac posted:

The last time I was in dublin zoo a gorilla poo poo into it's hand and ate it. 10/10 would visit again

That is learned behavior from the patrons.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

LordSaturn posted:

I'm including a funny picture so that I can say that in the Seattle Zoo, there's a footbridge you walk over to look down at the Orangutan from above, and the signage on the railing is extremely clear that if you drop your cellphone in there it belongs to the orangutan now

lol im imagining enough orangutans get cellphones that theres an orangutan twitter and they just talk poo poo about how hosed up humans are all day but humans dont get it because its just a bunch of subtle facial expressions. or they all start instagrams and catfish a ton of money from thirsty dudes and donate it back to the zoo to improve their habitat and diet. they are eatting the finest bananas while the chimps have a bunch of old ones.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

cormac posted:

So how many times have you escaped?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

snergle posted:

lol im imagining enough orangutans get cellphones that theres an orangutan twitter and they just talk poo poo about how hosed up humans are all day but humans dont get it because its just a bunch of subtle facial expressions. or they all start instagrams and catfish a ton of money from thirsty dudes and donate it back to the zoo to improve their habitat and diet. they are eatting the finest bananas while the chimps have a bunch of old ones.

I'm in no position to judge, but maybe save some of that blow for the weekend?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would think you are absolutely in a position to judge

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Grendels Dad posted:

It's extremely frustrating that I can't pin down any of those off the top of my head, I have read books before!
Going outside at night in Italy is Daisy Miller, by Henry James, That's the only one I know.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'm in no position to judge, but maybe save some of that blow for the weekend?

We all know what you'd spend it on, Mr. Bear.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The animals that are allowed to be hunted are typically older males who are no longer meaningfully fertile, but who are likely to be aggressive to younger generations of the breeding program. They're animals that under the sort of highly-managed program that is run for endangered species would be culled anyway. The licenses simply allow for that process to generate money. It would obviously be better if the populations of these species hadn't been crushed such that they need to be highly-managed, but the sale of big game licenses is not a big deal in this context.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

idk what this oval office even is but hes sucking down a mcgriddle and thats all that matters

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

RandomFerret posted:

idk what this oval office even is but hes sucking down a mcgriddle and thats all that matters

I think it's a tapir

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Kenning posted:

The animals that are allowed to be hunted are typically older males who are no longer meaningfully fertile, but who are likely to be aggressive to younger generations of the breeding program. They're animals that under the sort of highly-managed program that is run for endangered species would be culled anyway. The licenses simply allow for that process to generate money. It would obviously be better if the populations of these species hadn't been crushed such that they need to be highly-managed, but the sale of big game licenses is not a big deal in this context.

Admittedly, photos of people standing over carcasses of animals that were sedated by guides before being shot by some rich rear end in a top hat are one of the easiest markers of “This person is a worthless piece of poo poo” that we have as a society. So I guess there’s also value there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sure, the impulse to want to be a big game hunter is loving weird, and it's all rich chuds anyway, but the "getting sedated and shot" bit was gonna happen no matter what, so why not fleece the rich weirdos.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Amphigory posted:

God I love this programme. One of the best sitcoms there's been. I probably think about it multiple times a week, especially the Blue Rat episode

"HE'S GOT A HORSE IN THERE"

Can't believe I've never heard of 15 Storeys High, just finishing Blue Rat now!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RustyKnight posted:

I think it's a tapir

It is diminishing at one end, so makes sense.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

RandomFerret posted:

This should clear things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJm6nDnR2SE

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Lemon posted:

It's criminally underwatched.

"IT'S A loving HO- Sorry, I've done it again, haven't I?"

It really is. It's going to be rediscovered as a masterpiece at some point

koshmar posted:

Can't believe I've never heard of 15 Storeys High, just finishing Blue Rat now!

Yesssss! Wait until you get to the one about the dead swan

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RandomFerret posted:

I think it's some sort of cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

nice marmot.