Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

fish n chips chat:

As British as fish n chips: article by Jo Brand on how refugees inspired fish n chips.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/refugee-migrants-fish-and-chips-priti-patel-jo-brand-a9700871.html

Mind you I find it hard to believe that no one in Britain fried a fish before the 16th century!

It's entirely possible that there just wasn't the technology available until then. Deep-fat frying as we know it basically requires a proper, controllable heat source otherwise you're just going to be burning your face off, so we're into mid-Industrial Revolution before wood-burning stoves become cheap enough to be affordable to non-kings.

I guess you could probably rig up something using embers rather than an open flame, but (expensive, scarce) good-quality fat would probably have been better used for pastry. You could probably shallow-fry stuff like salmon in it's own oil, but it's not the same thing at all. Also until we had boats big enough to haul ice down from the Arctic nobody was eating (saltwater) fish in the major cities because they'd have been more than a bit ripe by the time they turned up, so cod would have been something they ate in Grimsby or Padstow, but the majority of the country would have either been on freshwater fish or stuff like mussels that could be delivered live(ish) to inland areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm no expert on construction but it seems like it'd be a whole lot more effort to take all the windows out of their frames individually than it would just to smash them while in place

and other than that all that seems to have happened is someone spilled a tin of paint and pushed over a cabinet, if that was really someone getting back at their landlord there'd be poo poo (both metaphorical and literal) everywhere and a load of damage to structural things like walls and doors and also to the appliances

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

People in the comments pointing out that the place was spotless before "someone" broke a bunch of poo poo

The big puddle of paint under the window is still wet.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
I forgot all about Camrath's Fudge so was pleasantly suprised this morning. Only issue for me is that one of the bags came open in transit, and that meant we had to eat it straight away. It was Dark Chocolate. Oh nooooo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's entirely possible that there just wasn't the technology available until then. Deep-fat frying as we know it basically requires a proper, controllable heat source otherwise you're just going to be burning your face off, so we're into mid-Industrial Revolution before wood-burning stoves become cheap enough to be affordable to non-kings.

I'm not entirely sure i buy this. You can control heat levels simply by having your frying container closer or further from your heat source, as one does right now on a charcoal barbecue for example. And you don't need a massive vat of oil or fat to get comparable results, an inch of lard and flipping the fish halfway through would work fine. Pan frying fish goes at least as far back as Pliny in the literature.

Also anyone north of the Midlands will tell you that specifically using cod is not a sine qua non of fish and chips ;p

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 4, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I got fudge and some new shirts and also I'm off work for a week, so this was an okay Friday all things considered.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guess you could probably rig up something using embers rather than an open flame, but (expensive, scarce) good-quality fat would probably have been better used for pastry. You could probably shallow-fry stuff like salmon in it's own oil, but it's not the same thing at all. Also until we had boats big enough to haul ice down from the Arctic nobody was eating (saltwater) fish in the major cities because they'd have been more than a bit ripe by the time they turned up, so cod would have been something they ate in Grimsby or Padstow, but the majority of the country would have either been on freshwater fish or stuff like mussels that could be delivered live(ish) to inland areas.

Lazy serfs not clarifying their butter smh

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The fudge has arrived and made the world just a little bit better. I'm going to spoil my appetite for tea with it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Z the IVth posted:

Next fudge flavour - "Glad She's Dead"
Ingredients - Roast Beef and Parsnips.

I do actually have a recipe for Beef fudge. But I’m not brave enough to try it.

I made bacon fudge last year while testing recipes. It was.. not good.

I’ll save ‘Glad She’s Dead’ as the special goon fudge for the next anniversary, if Necrothatcher doesn’t mind me using his catchphrase?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a first time buy? Are you using Help to Buy or Shared Ownership? I've saved quite a big deposit but found my options are still quite limited in London (where my job and family are) because of my salary. I started toward a shared ownership place in Ilford late last year but I don't know if that's still the best option, I think I'd rather take the Help to Buy loan, but the Ilford place was ideal, if it were Help to Buy the price would be in my affordability. Feeling under pressure as I need to move out before my dad does, and hes expecting an offer on this place any day now.

I've got a cheap deal on a nice 2 bed flat in Islington for you, provided you dont mind that the building could go up like the towering inferno at any moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's entirely possible that there just wasn't the technology available until then. Deep-fat frying as we know it basically requires a proper, controllable heat source otherwise you're just going to be burning your face off, so we're into mid-Industrial Revolution before wood-burning stoves become cheap enough to be affordable to non-kings. .
There were decently controllable heat sources in the Arab world at least around the point of the later Islamic Golden Age that only occasionally blew people up, and references to cooking things wholly submerged in sheep fat or olive oil, finally culminating in the crowning achievement of the entire period, falafel.

Europeans were probably too busy tipping vats of it on each other at Orleans to consider culinary purposes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I wonder how accurate the current UK figures on coronavirus are, after the shenanigans that were going on earlier. According to the data the UK is currently 6th in the world by total deaths per million, and, uhh, 55th, somehow, in total cases per million (not active, total).

That doesn't exactly inspire terrible confidence in the official data for me, particularly as the difference is massive in statistical terms.

I mean maybe they've stopped doing whatever was causing the data to go completely insane, but then, well, it's Tories, so.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I'm not entirely sure i buy this. You can control heat levels simply by having your frying container closer or further from your heat source, as one does right now on a charcoal barbecue for example. And you don't need a massive vat of oil or fat to get comparable results, an inch of lard and flipping the fish halfway through would work fine. Pan frying fish goes at least as far back as Pliny in the literature.

Also anyone north of the Midlands will tell you that specifically using cod is not a sine qua non of fish and chips ;p

That's why I specified both "deep fat frying" and "as we know it", and I would still be pretty unhappy about shallow-frying over an open flame. Also shallow-frying won't cut it for batter, you need the heat hitting the batter in 3 dimensions or it'll all just run off.

For fish and chips as we know it, you need:

a) Cheap, high-quality animal fat (late Agricultrual Revolution)
b) Cast iron vessel and controllable heat (early Industrial Revolution)
c) Refrigeration - I know cod isn't the only fish, but all of the other fish suitable for frying don't live close enough to the big cities for me to want to risk it, so late-18th century.

I don't dispute that if you found yourself thrown back in time to the Dark Ages you could probably knock up some battered fish (have to wait a fair few centuries for the chips but you might be able to improvise with parsnips or swede) but the point is that until those three things exist you ain't getting fried and battered fish as anything other than a regional dish. Like I say the refrigeration is the real killer; pickled or salted fish, and local freshwater fish would have been the extent of seafood anyone not living on the coast is likely to have bothered with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No fudge before the weekend, I blame Boris.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I really want to buy some fudge but I also don’t want to get any fatter :mad:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a first time buy? Are you using Help to Buy or Shared Ownership? I've saved quite a big deposit but found my options are still quite limited in London (where my job and family are) because of my salary. I started toward a shared ownership place in Ilford late last year but I don't know if that's still the best option, I think I'd rather take the Help to Buy loan, but the Ilford place was ideal, if it were Help to Buy the price would be in my affordability. Feeling under pressure as I need to move out before my dad does, and hes expecting an offer on this place any day now.

Shared ownership seems like the worst of all worlds, mortgage and rent to pay, you can't do anything to it without permission but if anything important needs doing like the block of flats it's in needs a new lift or roof you're on the hook for the entire bill.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's why I specified both "deep fat frying" and "as we know it", and I would still be pretty unhappy about shallow-frying over an open flame. Also shallow-frying won't cut it for batter, you need the heat hitting the batter in 3 dimensions or it'll all just run off.

For fish and chips as we know it, you need:

a) Cheap, high-quality animal fat (late Agricultrual Revolution)
b) Cast iron vessel and controllable heat (early Industrial Revolution)
c) Refrigeration - I know cod isn't the only fish, but all of the other fish suitable for frying don't live close enough to the big cities for me to want to risk it, so late-18th century.

I don't dispute that if you found yourself thrown back in time to the Dark Ages you could probably knock up some battered fish (have to wait a fair few centuries for the chips but you might be able to improvise with parsnips or swede) but the point is that until those three things exist you ain't getting fried and battered fish as anything other than a regional dish. Like I say the refrigeration is the real killer; pickled or salted fish, and local freshwater fish would have been the extent of seafood anyone not living on the coast is likely to have bothered with.

For someone with good knowledge on lots of things the idea of frequent flipping to ensure the batter cooks or a tagine to seep fry in being alien is funny to me

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Breath Ray posted:

first off, well done on saving a big deposit. i agree that shared ownership is a bit limiting so youre right to rule that out. the most important thing is not to panic and definitely dont feel the need to buy a place to move into to fit in with your dad's plans. most sales take months so youre better off renting privately and taking that opportunity to live in the neighbourhood you plan to buy in. dont worry about missing out on the stamp duty holiday as lots of sellers are pricing that in now anyway! good luck

I've actually spoken to my financial advisor and feel a bit better about shared ownership, I think with a flat a lot of the issues are mitigated unless I get the kitchen redone or something and it gets undervalued when I sell, and that it might be fairly lateral with HTB since with that I'd probably be remortgaging in 5 years to pay back the loan anyway. It's still renting, but not a lot, especially if I can upgrade to a 50% share. I'm keen to move out myself, and I was keen on the place when I first saw it in something like October, if things had gone a bit differently I might have moved into it in Feburary.

Lungboy posted:

Shared ownership seems like the worst of all worlds, mortgage and rent to pay, you can't do anything to it without permission but if anything important needs doing like the block of flats it's in needs a new lift or roof you're on the hook for the entire bill.

Pretty sure I can redecorate etc no problem according to what I've been told, and that the estate managers that I pay service charge are responsible for lift maintenance .

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Late to the party but the fudge came today and it smells amazing! Tried a little bit of the Russian Revolution and :ussr: its beautiful.

Definitely going to be ordering again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pretty sure I can redecorate etc no problem according to what I've been told, and that the estate managers that I pay service charge are responsible for lift maintenance .

Redecorating should be fine, but unlikely to be allowed to do anything structural if you wanted to. Maintenance may be covered on the lift, but what about a whole new lift? Or a new roof to the block, or new cladding if it has the bonfire-y kind? On top of that it can be harder and more expensive to sell again in the future.

e: not trying to put you or anyone else off here, just airing some of the issues that get overlooked. Have a read on moneysavingexpert for tons of examples of shared ownership gone wrong. Of course there will be just as many where it's gone right and the owner hasn't posted on a forum about it.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 4, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

For someone with good knowledge on lots of things the idea of frequent flipping to ensure the batter cooks or a tagine to seep fry in being alien is funny to me

:shrug: I'm pretty much thinking out loud, but flipping and shallow-drying just won't work with battered fish, and the fact that we didn't have fried fish at all until the late Renaissance and battered, deep-fried fish until the mid-19th century does suggest that I'm on to something.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lungboy posted:

Redecorating should be fine, but unlikely to be allowed to do anything structural if you wanted to. Maintenance may be covered on the lift, but what about a whole new lift? Or a new roof to the block, or new cladding if it has the bonfire-y kind? On top of that it can be harder and more expensive to sell again in the future.

e: not trying to put you or anyone else off here, just airing some of the issues that get overlooked. Have a read on moneysavingexpert for tons of examples of shared ownership gone wrong. Of course there will be just as many where it's gone right and the owner hasn't posted on a forum about it.

Part of the hold up has been getting the cladding certified, and that's a precondition of a mortgage.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

History of Fritters

The Roman scriblita, described by Cato in the 2nd century bc, was probably a precursor of both fritters and doughnuts. Lumps of a moist dough (leavened with sourdough) were spooned into hot fat, and allowed to stream in random shapes. Medieval ‘cryspeys’ were described in the Harleian MS of 1430; a liquid yeast batter using the whites of eggs only was run down the cook’s fingers so that five narrow streams entered the hot oil, where they set into a tangle. They were served sprinkled with sugar. The modern Indian jalebi also uses a streaming method to form spirals.

Most medical writers considered that fritters were indigestible, but they were too good to refuse and have been popular ever since. They appeared regularly in menus, usually as part of the last course. C. Anne Wilson (1973) quotes John Russell, who observed that ‘apple fritter is good hot, but the cold ye [should] not touch’. Apple fritters have remained consistently popular through the ages. Other fruits, small pieces of meat or fish, slices of root vegetables (parsnip and skirret were much liked for their sweet flavour), almonds, small balls of mixed herbs, pieces of fresh curd, and fragrant flowers were all used for fritters in the medieval kitchen. A 14th-century recipe used apple blossom mixed with white breadcrumbs and egg yolks, white wine and spices. In the 17th century herb fritters developed into delicate small fritters of individual leaves or pieces of leaves. Spinach, lettuce, and vine leaves were also used. Flower and leaf fritters survive, for example in Italy, where zucchini flowers and small young globe artichokes are dipped in batter and deep fried.

Most medieval fritters were yeasted with ale-barm, the froth on the fermenting drink. This continued to be added to batter until, at the beginning of the 18th century, it was realized that a better lift could be produced by separating the egg whites, beating them, and folding them back in.

Medieval batters for sweet fritters, like those for pancakes, contained wine or ale, sometimes cream, and more eggs than are usual today. Choux paste mixtures were in use for making fritters in France by the end of the 16th century. New varieties of fritter introduced in the 18th century were of flavoured ground rice; a thin type in the shape of a true lover’s knot (as in a pretzel) was piped with a forcing bag. This shape survives in the old French bugne and the American cruller.

from The Oxford Companion to Food by Alan Davidson (2014).

So it doesn't seem that flour in hot oil was the novelty. My guess is that consuming a massively expensive steak of fish as, well, a huge battered steak all on its own, rather than stuffing it with fruit and herbs and other contrasting flavours, would have been regarded by someone in the 15th century rather like how we would regard someone today eating a Kobe steak well-done and coated with ketchup.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

My wife spent a time doing GDPR stuff for her employer, so I can assure you that such data is handled securely and with best practice. But I do almost literally have UKMT.xls, yes.

Well my offer just got accepted so I feel sorry for the poor schmuck who ends up renting my flat next.

Edit: not like I won't immediately be buying more fudge when I move though.

Pound_Coin posted:

If you have a look at the damage done and the manner/locations of it, I'm fairly certain these are infact the same person, everything that has been damaged is a removable fitting, all of the windows taken down and smashed with a single blow but not a single dent on the fridge oven or washer? paint splashes on the floor and skirting boards but never on the wall, one hole in a patchable door?

I've seen a lot of people saying this and quite honestly ...

Yeah it makes a lot of sense tbh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:shrug: I'm pretty much thinking out loud, but flipping and shallow-drying just won't work with battered fish, and the fact that we didn't have fried fish at all until the late Renaissance and battered, deep-fried fish until the mid-19th century does suggest that I'm on to something.

Yeah, shallow fry does not play well with batter, at least not if you want a thick, consistent coating all over. Dropping the entire thing in to immediately seal it all over is key.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's evidence of battered deep fried fish 'in the Jewish style' (battered with eggs and matzah meal) in London a few centuries before that, it was probably brought over by Sephardi refugees from Portugal or Spain, using techniques spread throughout the Muslim world (including Spain until shortly before events that made them refugees) from developments in the Levant in deep oil frying during the Golden Age, which all goes back to...

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Thanks for the fudge delivery Camrath, it has elevated me in my parents eyes from worst son to worst son who once got us some fudge. Progress!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
CBA rehosting it and typing the caption again:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1301960809136955392

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
ronya posting about food... what is the world coming to?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I gotta say. The fudge is exquisite. The Eton mess is like being punched in the face with raspberries and cream. The chocolate orange is a tad sweet for me but wow. Its both orangey and chocolatey and the apple pie...wow. It smells divine and tastes even better.

Have you considered some persian style flavours? Rosewater, pistachio etc.

My favourite dessert is called knafeh (spelling may vary) a godly baked combination of melted cheese, shredded filo pastry, rosewater infused sugar syrup and joy. https://youtu.be/nSteAlgpFvc

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Mebh posted:

I gotta say. The fudge is exquisite. The Eton mess is like being punched in the face with raspberries and cream. The chocolate orange is a tad sweet for me but wow. Its both orangey and chocolatey and the apple pie...wow. It smells divine and tastes even better.

My favourite dessert is called knafeh (spelling may vary) a godly baked combination of melted cheese, shredded filo pastry, rosewater infused sugar syrup and joy. https://youtu.be/nSteAlgpFvc

Kanafeh is one of the best desserts in the world. Best of all, they don't come in chocolate orange flavours.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Kanafeh is one of the best desserts in the world. Best of all, they don't come in chocolate orange flavours.
Camrath, you know what you must do.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm no expert on construction but it seems like it'd be a whole lot more effort to take all the windows out of their frames individually than it would just to smash them while in place

and other than that all that seems to have happened is someone spilled a tin of paint and pushed over a cabinet, if that was really someone getting back at their landlord there'd be poo poo (both metaphorical and literal) everywhere and a load of damage to structural things like walls and doors and also to the appliances

It's insanely fake

Then again I'm massively jaded and assume every video on the Internet is staged for lame social media attention at this point.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 4, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Mebh posted:

Thanks for the kind words!

That looks absolutely incredible! I’ll have to try it out. As for Persian style flavours? Absolutely, in the future. When I have my new kitchen certified I’m planning to try and branch out a bit more, try different types of sweetie. Turkish delight is on the list, as are pulled candies of various types (iirc there’s a goon who did/used to make hard candies; that was one of the inspirations for the business and I’m curious to try it out myself).

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like to imagine how I'd fare if I travelled back in time and how to use my knowledge to survive, particularly as I have no relevant skills to the Medieval period and my way of speaking English would sound bizarre. I think I would end up an urchin.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Put it on twitter, and it's also in the printer thread in serious hardware but my last day as a field engineer saw me here

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/1301918244543045632

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

Thanks for the kind words!

That looks absolutely incredible! I’ll have to try it out. As for Persian style flavours? Absolutely, in the future. When I have my new kitchen certified I’m planning to try and branch out a bit more, try different types of sweetie. Turkish delight is on the list, as are pulled candies of various types (iirc there’s a goon who did/used to make hard candies; that was one of the inspirations for the business and I’m curious to try it out myself).

speaking of sweeties I think when the time comes just do all the varieties that are in those $99 cookies the owner of this site raves about

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Trip repoetb: went to wetherspoons, literally not a singleperson besides myself wearing Mark. Also, haven't been this drunk in months

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've had foiye dtonks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've had foiye dtonks

That's numberwang!