Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Trip repoetb: went to wetherspoons, literally not a singleperson besides myself wearing Mark. Also, haven't been this drunk in months

interesting. maybe its because when youre married you yearn for death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:shrug: I'm pretty much thinking out loud, but flipping and shallow-drying just won't work with battered fish, and the fact that we didn't have fried fish at all until the late Renaissance and battered, deep-fried fish until the mid-19th century does suggest that I'm on to something.

As I mentioned fried fish goes back to the Romans at least. Its in Apicius.

Edit: Heres a Roman frying pan. Works fine with fish. Probably even rolled in flour.

Edit edit: I have a little Latin, I can cook and make sausages and cider. Til I died of bubonic plague anyway.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

I like to imagine how I'd fare if I travelled back in time and how to use my knowledge to survive, particularly as I have no relevant skills to the Medieval period and my way of speaking English would sound bizarre. I think I would end up an urchin.
OwlFancier would probably fare best. Having a large beard and bellowing partially remembered school German in a Northern accent would either see him made a lord of some kind or executed for trying to bring back the Danelaw.

I, personally, would use my knowledge of chemistry and engineering to die of dysentery in the first week. At least I'm immune from typhoid, I think.

Maybe if I landed somewhere around the Mendips I could communicate in cider noises* and teach them how to turn calamine into zinc before I shat myself to death.

I've had foiye dtonks

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Are there any well known medieval sporting events, jousting or something, I could use my future knowledge to gamble on to become rich?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shin kicking is still popular with a niche crowd.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Trip repoetb: went to wetherspoons, literally not a singleperson besides myself wearing Mark. Also, haven't been this drunk in months

I do hope Mark consented to this.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I travelled back in time to the medieval period I would almost immediately trip over something, sustain minor wound, and die a painful and undignified death from an infection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you send enough people back in time you could solve coronavirus by killing people in the past instead, when there are fewer of them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
SARS-CoV-2 immediately gets beaten to death in an alley by the black death, typhoid, smallpox, and the vastly superior zoonotic viruses caused by sleeping with pigs for warmth (and 'warmth').

Send David Cameron back.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:shrug: I'm pretty much thinking out loud, but flipping and shallow-drying just won't work with battered fish, and the fact that we didn't have fried fish at all until the late Renaissance and battered, deep-fried fish until the mid-19th century does suggest that I'm on to something.

I think you're being pedantic about quality and it matching to our current battered deep fried fish

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The wife approves of the fudge. She says the best fudge she ever had was butter pecan fudge in a South Carolina Market.

Also. Chai flavour!

Lets fund camrath's new kitchen! Now all we need is a goon home brewing gin.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Mebh posted:

The wife approves of the fudge. She says the best fudge she ever had was butter pecan fudge in a South Carolina Market.

Also. Chai flavour!

I’ve decided I can squeeze in one last cook before I move- I’ll be announcing on Monday, but one of the flavours will be PSF (pumpkin spice fudge) which is pretty close to chai in flavour. :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Now all we need is a goon home brewing gin.

Guavanaut posted:

I still aim to be self sufficient in whiskey and to eliminate 90% of what I recycle within 5 years though.
You just replace the casking with redistilling it through half your spice rack, right?

There's actually a Vegan/earth foods place nearby that does most of the botanicals I'd need.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

I’ve decided I can squeeze in one last cook before I move- I’ll be announcing on Monday, but one of the flavours will be PSF (pumpkin spice fudge) which is pretty close to chai in flavour. :)

Judging from the responses in this thread we might be able to achieve left unity via the power of your fudge!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camrath posted:

:getin: we are so down.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

justcola posted:

I like to imagine how I'd fare if I travelled back in time and how to use my knowledge to survive, particularly as I have no relevant skills to the Medieval period and my way of speaking English would sound bizarre. I think I would end up an urchin.

I think my best option would be to hie me to the nunnery lest I be burnt at the stake or whatever the equivalent was in Medieval times as a witch.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

You just replace the casking with redistilling it through half your spice rack, right?

There's actually a Vegan/earth foods place nearby that does most of the botanicals I'd need.

37.5%abv with juniper being the dominant botanical == gin.

You can literally steep botanicals in vodka and make gin that way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another use for a Brita filter maybe.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

justcola posted:

I expect my mastery of powerful data analysis techniques would make me at least a feudal lord or maybe even a bishop just as soon as I could get access to even a fairly primitive CUDA enabled computer.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

Also. Chai flavour!

I’m starting a brewery - close enough?

I do also infuse gin and I’m tempted to get a still attachment for my grainfather at some point to make it from scratch...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mebh posted:

Now all we need is a goon home brewing gin.

The spirit of the English lives on forever

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Another use for a Brita filter maybe.

every time you switch the filter out - after about a month and a half - i keep intending to fire some loving vladimir or popov through it, i never remember to do so. putting vodka through for sure fucks your filter but you're replacing it anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's probably a good way of renewing the filter. Kills all the poo poo that grows in it over that period at least.

Maybe there's a positive double use of those Master of Malt Hand Sanitisers. Kill the bacteria in your old filter and render some partially denatured alcohol safe for consumption (maybe) at the same time, while helping the NHS.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

From reading about you only need to put it through a brita filter if you want it to be clearer. It doesn't change the taste.

Steep 750ml good vodka with 2tbsp dried juniper and whatever other dried botanicals you want in a sterilised container for 24h. After 24h taste it, add any fresh flavours (peel etc.) and more dried botanicals that you want to increase the flavour of. Leave for 24h again.

Filter it with a sieve. Leave for a couple days then filter through a cheesecloth to remove sediment.

If you want it clear, use a brita filter. If not. Drink away.

What I'm curious about is... Can I use cheap as poo poo vodka? Can I use more expensive bison grass vodka for a different taste.

I currently have a bottle of chilli and ginger gin I want to crack open. But basically all this fancy poo poo only matters for the first drink. After one g&t barrel gin and rainwater would taste good tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea is that the brita filter supposedly makes cheap poo poo vodka taste like good vodka though I can't say I understand why, you can't filter things in solution that I'm aware of.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If we're going to be hosting a goon farmers' market, I can contribute some rhubarb and strawberry infused gin.

You may also be interested in my gin-infused rhubarb and strawberry jam, for those of you who find normal toast just isn't alcoholic enough.

Edit: use decent quality vodka, not necessarily the best, but nothing that tastes like industrial paint stripper. You'll never get rid of the slight hint of petrol if you use really cheap stuff, no matter how long you steep the botanicals.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 5, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Lady Demelza posted:

If we're going to be hosting a goon farmers' market, I can contribute some rhubarb and strawberry infused gin.

This sounds amazing. I want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to have even more fun, presumably you could try buying a 5 kilo sack of diatomaceous earth from an animal supply company and pretend it's celite (which is about ten times more expensive) and pour your vodka through that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mebh posted:

From reading about you only need to put it through a brita filter if you want it to be clearer. It doesn't change the taste.

for sure incorrect. try it sometime.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that the brita filter supposedly makes cheap poo poo vodka taste like good vodka though I can't say I understand why, you can't filter things in solution that I'm aware of.

because the difference between cheap and decent vodka is how many times it is filtered. again, i disagree with Guavanaut - you put vodka through one and the water in there tastes disgusting, but it's a great thing to do at the end of a filter's life. you can even do it multiple times - through multiple filters - and make it even nicer.

i'm not a hoocholigist i am not sure why it works, but it for sure does.

e: actually, googling around you can do it multiple times with the same filter, so long as you know you're destroying it. gonna try that next time.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

OK So I have both read into this and done it before.

The difference between cheap vodka and good vodka is mainly how many times it is distilled and how filtered it is. The ideal vodka is just pure ethanol and water. This is why Smirnoff says right on the bottle "Triple distilled, 10x filtered". They (mostly) filter vodka through charcoal which removes impurities and brita filters are just charcoal filters.

In my experience, it does work. I have tasted side by side unfiltered and filtered lovely cheap vodka and you can tell the difference. The sweet spot is to run it through a filter 4-5 times.

Fake edit: I agree with Coolcab. Oh and yeah you can use the same filter for at least a couple of litres of vodka (running each through 4-5 times) but you won't want to use it for water again once you've used it for booze.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hm. I do not own a brita filter.

It's DIY time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzmG6luRyg

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
learning to purify lovely alcohol will prove an essential skill in the post brexit wasteland. trading a jar of triple filtered Brexit Victory Tesco Value vodka for some fish antibiotics and a half a loaf of mostly wood shavings bread. i'm ready.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I used to make Mars bar and skittles vodka all the time. Man. I think I'm going to make some next week.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

I used to make Mars bar and skittles vodka all the time. Man. I think I'm going to make some next week.

MARS BAR VODKA? That sounds like it'd make you boke

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone else used to think the stuff in a Mars bar was called mars? It was only about a year ago I was told this wasn’t the case and it was actually nougat.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jakabite posted:

Anyone else used to think the stuff in a Mars bar was called mars? It was only about a year ago I was told this wasn’t the case and it was actually nougat.

No mate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TIL that the planet mars is made of nougat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lady Demelza posted:

If we're going to be hosting a goon farmers' market,

I'll make the wicker baskets

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jakabite posted:

?????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lady Demelza posted:

I will bake many brownies and cakes.