Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

The actual worst is Japanese SMB2.

NSMB2 is worse. At least Lost Levels is inspired with its dickishness. NSMB2 was just a training game for newly hired devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

If you include all of them, mainline loses it's meaning and just becomes a synonym for Mario platformer. When SML came out, nobody at the time saw it as the real successor to SMB3 or SMB2.

I'll give y'all that the NSMB series makes this argument a bit weird since the DS/3DS have New SMB and New SMB 2. However, the New SMB games on the home consoles didn't continue with that numbering scheme.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

stev posted:

Depends if you count NSMB or 3D Land as mainline.

6 Golden Coins is the real tragedy through.

I can't even keep the "NEW" games straight because they have such confusing names.

I remember there's one where you're a penguin that was absolutely impossible to get all the giant coins because you need the reflexes of an anime character to time the slippery jumps.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Switch is a handheld. So the whole system isn't canon.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Spacebump posted:

If you include all of them, mainline loses it's meaning and just becomes a synonym for Mario platformer. When SML came out, nobody at the time saw it as the real successor to SMB3 or SMB2.

i figured "mainline mario games" includes mario platformers on nintendo systems and excludes stuff like mario kart, mario golf, paper mario, mario teaches typing, etc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mainline Mario games:

SMB2/Doki Doki Panic
SMW
Paper Mario
Sunshine
Mario Power Tennis
Double Dash
TTYD
Galaxy 1/2
Odyssey

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

Switch is a handheld. So the whole system isn't canon.

Tragic but true. Odyssey is doomed to portable obscurity.

As is Breath of the Wild, forever in the same category as the Seasons games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Land 2 introduced Wario who has become a series staple and is the best. This elevates Land 2 to mainline status, Land 1 is mainline because of the rockin’ music alone

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Mario visiting "worlds" and platforming is mainline. Numbered games, Land, World, 64, New, 3D Land, 3D World, Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey.

Paper, RPG, vs. DK, etc. are sideline.

Rabbids, Sports, Party, Kart, Maker, Smash, etc. are non-canon.

And then there's unquantifiable stuff like Paint and Typing.

Duh. Ah-doy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

hatty posted:

Land 2 introduced Wario who has become a series staple and is the best. This elevates Land 2 to mainline status, Land 1 is mainline because of the rockin’ music alone

This just made me wonder, does Wario show up in any of the home console Mario platformers?

also, another good way to consider which Mario platformers are mainline would be which dev team made them. This messes with my theory a little.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

This just made me wonder, does Wario show up in any of the home console Mario platformers?

also, another good way to consider which Mario platformers are mainline would be which dev team made them. This messes with my theory a little.

No. He's in SM64DS though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I really wish that Nintendo would release Super Mario Galaxy 2 somehow on the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really wish that Nintendo would release Super Mario Galaxy 2 somehow on the Switch.

I don’t see why they can’t. Maybe they’ll spring it on us in March as a “one more thing”.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Super Mario Run belongs in the fallen hero timeline, in which Bowser defeats Mario during the events depicted in Mario Party 7

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
did someone say mario timeline!?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Super Mario Run is a legit good game and better than any of the New games.

Won’t be reading replies.:colbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Mainline Mario games are ones that I like. Non-mainline Mario games are ones I don't care about.

Mario Paint? Mainline.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the only canon Mario game is Hotel Mario for the CD-i. Everything else is an alternate timeline spinoff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Mainline games are on the home/main Nintendo consoles. The Gameboy games are spinoffs.

This isn't accurate at all. A big reason why Nintendo dominated the handheld market is because many of the entry's from flagship franchises were actual legitimate mainline entries. This was especially true during the DS and 3DS reign, and why Sony gradually began to struggle as people realized that God of War on your PSP wasn' t "God of War quality".

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t see why they can’t. Maybe they’ll spring it on us in March as a “one more thing”.

You think as DLC or a separate game for eShop?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
definitely, I remember feeling like I had to buy a game boy to find out what happens next in the mario saga

wait what

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does all stars 2D drop today?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. He's in SM64DS though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

You can still buy the previous "limited" release of Super Mario All-Stars new for around the same price it retailed for.

As said before, limited time doesn't mean limited supply. A secret is that most publishers don't constantly send out new stocks of their games after a couple of months, because demand just dies down as everyone who wants the game owns it. There are exceptions like Atlus who prints new copies of games over a decade after release but they are rare. The digital pullout is dumb though but the games will likely just be on the eShop individually after that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It came out yesterday right after the Direct.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This isn't accurate at all. A big reason why Nintendo dominated the handheld market is because many of the entry's from flagship franchises were actual legitimate mainline entries. This was especially true during the DS and 3DS reign, and why Sony gradually began to struggle as people realized that God of War on your PSP wasn' t "God of War quality".

You think as DLC or a separate game for eShop?

Definitely seperate if they did.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's already in SNESFlix.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why is everybody complaining about 64 not being widescreen.

Why would you want that? I see mods have done that, but why?

I can't imagine playing an old game or watching a tv show from the 90s and saying "Yeah but wonder what's going on just off to the sides"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why is everybody complaining about 64 not being widescreen.

Why would you want that? I see mods have done that, but why?

I can't imagine playing an old game or watching a tv show from the 90s and saying "Yeah but wonder what's going on just off to the sides"

It’s a nice improvement and that doesn’t hurt anything unlike with shows.

I’m not sure if it fucks with anything in the new PC ports. Does it?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a nice improvement and that doesn’t hurt anything unlike with shows.

Depends on the game. For first person shooters it's usually no big deal, but a 3rd person platformer, especially the very first successful mainstream one, might have some huge problems.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
widescreen in mario 64 just looks wrong. something off about it, like it took a dump somewhere and you havent seen it yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lakitu would not have a widescreen camera at the time imo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

People realized at the time that the Mario Land games weren't Super Mario Bros quality at the time they were released. After the first game in the New Series, the rest of the series has routinely been criticized for not being high quality. The gameboy games were well received because they were a massive step up from what portable games had been before that. Their quality level wasn't on par with the console entries released around the same time.

edit:
Ultimately, it seems most disagree with me so I'll just accept that and stop talking about this.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 4, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Some of the more forward-thinking 90s shows actually shot for that. Original Law & Order, for example.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can a show where cops and prosecutors are good guys be forward thinking

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

How can a show where cops and prosecutors are good guys be forward thinking

lol, I agree with this. The only thing I can think is forward thinking in the 90s is backward thinking in the 20s.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Looks like Overcooked and Overcooked 2 are on sale at the eShop - I definitely recommend them if you're after a couch co-op title that's accessible to non-gamers. The first game is an absolute steal at less than US$7, the second one is essentially more of the same with a few new things thrown in (definitely worth it if you enjoy the first one), including online multiplayer.

The developer is working on a remastered 4k collection combing the two games + DLC and adding a few things in, but at this point is only looking to release it on next-gen consoles (PS5/Xbox), so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it on Switch.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 4, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

stev posted:

Depends if you count NSMB or 3D Land as mainline.

6 Golden Coins is the real tragedy through.

6 Golden Coins is a weird but fun game. It's not really the best platformer. The physics are tight, but the level design isn't great because it's a weird mix of letting you explore which removes a lot of pits, so they make up for it with enemies, that you can defeat... it's strange. There are some great ideas in it though that they revisit from time to time, and the music is pretty phenomenal.

This song I hadn't thought about in years and it just blew me away. I love how old consoles don't have the strength to play too many channels at once and they use that to their advantage here. When the bass drops out for a few measures :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0neYkiaO0M

And of course this gem from its predecessor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb33Qnbw520

The level design in SML 1 is weird as poo poo, but it does work better as a platformer and is real reminiscent of SMB1.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Looks like Overcooked and Overcooked 2 are on sale at the eShop - I definitely recommend them if you're after a couch co-op title that's accessible to non-gamers. The first game is an absolute steal at less than US$7, the second one is essentially more of the same with a few new things thrown in (definitely worth it if you enjoy the first one), including online multiplayer.

The developer is working on a remastered 4k collection combing the two games + DLC and adding a few things in, but at this point is only looking to release it on next-gen consoles (PS5/Xbox), so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it on Switch.

People say a lot that Overcooked is good for non-gamers but a caveat to that. Make sure your non-gamer knows their way to some extent around a controller, my partner plays so rarely that she really doesn't do the complex controllers of today and it costs her in Overcooked since she fumbles just about every action, which is arguably the point, but it frustrates her more than anything else since she won't do the right thing unless she's looking at her hands.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I just realized that I haven't put more than a few hours into any of the 3d Mario games outside of Odyssey.
Like I've seen more footage of Mario 64 Speed runs and TASs than actually playing the game, so 3d All Stars is going to be a completely new experience.

Work has me crunching in a quarantine, so fuckit, first full priced Nintendo title I've bought at launch since
.......... Yoshi's Island in nineteen-dickety-five.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Super Paper Mario is a platformer, therefore it is a mainline game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And of course this gem from its predecessor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb33Qnbw520

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_XVdA1PZA