Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
so about pickguards........is taking the pickguard off a Les Paul what you might call a "douche move"

mine just vibrated off :shrug: and then i became slash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's pretty common to remove the pickguard and the little pickup switch ring poker chip

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

20 Blunts posted:

so about pickguards........is taking the pickguard off a Les Paul what you might call a "douche move"

mine just vibrated off :shrug: and then i became slash

No, it's totally fine. Play the guitar how you want to play it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chip McFuck posted:

No, it's totally fine. Play the guitar how you want to play it.

No, always emulate one specific player. Yngwie or Page or Hendrix. Anything else is Wrong.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I add/remove the pickguard on my LP about every other year just for a change of scenery. Right now I'm digging the more simple look,

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
It depends on the tone characteristics of the pickguard materials, as well as the composition of the screws affect on sustain. Furthermore....

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I always replace all metal screws with tonewood screws.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The LP guard is ugly as sin and I'd remove mine if I didn't use it as a pinky rest when I'm palm muting on the high strings.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is there a market for different colored LP pick guards like there is for Fenders?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is there a market for different colored LP pick guards like there is for Fenders?

Only if you appreciate the finer things in life my good man.

(PS don't forget our patented Flame Maple Tone Rings unless you're a sucker who hates great tone)

Also...

Here's a double guard special in case one fancied up pickguard isn't enough to protect your guitar's finish from your powerful masculine rockstar energy.
People won't even believe you when you tell them you're actually a Dentist by day!

Or if you're feelin' particularly wild and rockin, nobody's gonna mess with anybody throwing around this much 'tude.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 3, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've got one of those little armrest guards on my mando but I've never seen one on a guitar before.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Skies the limit OP
https://www.greasygroove.com/pickguards/guitar-pickguards/gibson-pickguards/les-paul-pickguards.html

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That middle one has f-holes, meaning it's hollow, meaning it won't break your back at all, meaning it must sound like absolute garbage!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

This one is so wild; it's so busy my eyes keep sliding off of it. Is that a dragon engraved on the tailpiece?

Huxley posted:

I've got one of those little armrest guards on my mando but I've never seen one on a guitar before.

It used to be a thing for country players to put them on their electric guitars in the fifties and sixties. Gretsch still has them standard on their high-end guitars like the White Penguin:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Only if you appreciate the finer things in life my good man.

(PS don't forget our patented Flame Maple Tone Rings unless you're a sucker who hates great tone)

Also...

Here's a double guard special in case one fancied up pickguard isn't enough to protect your guitar's finish from your powerful masculine rockstar energy.
People won't even believe you when you tell them you're actually a Dentist by day!

Or if you're feelin' particularly wild and rockin, nobody's gonna mess with anybody throwing around this much 'tude.

rigs of dad who only has visitation rights every other weekend

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Muppets On PCP posted:

rigs of dad who only has visitation rights every other weekend

"Look at my SICK GUITAR son!"

"um, yeah, that's great... can I go play Fortnight?"

"YOUR MOTHER HAS POISONED YOU AGAINST ME!" /hits up reverb for more gear.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

20 Blunts posted:

If you have a really nice finish like a flame top I think its kinda required

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Got the Firefly FF338 I ordered last week today

Looks nice enough, however its got one big issue:

That's as low as I can set the action. I think the neck angle must be slightly off, the bridge is at its lowest adjustment and the truss rod is at basically no relief. It is playable but just barely, I don't have my good ruler handy but I'd say action is around 1/8" at the 17th fret. If I decide to keep it I'll need to either grind some material off the bottom sides of the bridge or replace it (I compared it to my SG and its bridge is slightly thinner) and then maybe get a neck position pickup ring to put the bridge pickup in to get a little more clearance and adjustability.

Also I need to keep it away from my local high temperature machine.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DrChu posted:

It is playable but just barely, I don't have my good ruler handy but I'd say action is around 1/8" at the 17th fret.

that's considered unplayable? :confused:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's considered unplayable? :confused:
Should be about 5/64". I did say it was playable, but barely, and there's no room to go lower. You can see the pickup ring is closer to the string than the fretboard (with the pickup sunk underneath the ring).

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want action to be as high as possible while still being playable because i want to work at it, too easy and your creativity gets shot.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So my electric (Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster, jesus what a mouthful) seems to really "ring" on the E string (the lower-pitched one, not e) when I'm playing... well almost anything. I can play just about any notes on the higher strings and pretty quick the E string will be ringing away. I try to mute it with my palm when I remember but that's just another thing to manage when I'm trying not to suck at just Playing The drat Notes. Any suggestions?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

You're likely describing sympathetic vibrations. When you're playing notes on the higher strings and one is ringing at the right ratio to the fundamental wavelength of the low E, it'll get it resonating and putting out a harmonic. Eventually it becomes part of your technique to just put your palm gently on those low strings as you move up and mute the higher strings with one of your fretting fingers. The unmuted strings are always causing this background noise when playing.

Ben Eller has a nice video on it that helped me out a while back, specifically here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIRmnpTFRc&t=181s

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I found an acoustic guitar at work. I tried tapping and I get a lot better volume from the steel than the nylon I have at home. I might as well get the frets pulled on the nylon strung to frail on while using open tunings. Then switch back to my blueridge. Its got a small body so the wood will resonate more at the lower intensity of fingerpicking with the meat of my hands.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
it's weird how that style is called math-rock but I don't see how math is involved, there is no division or subtraction going on.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

former glory posted:

You're likely describing sympathetic vibrations. When you're playing notes on the higher strings and one is ringing at the right ratio to the fundamental wavelength of the low E, it'll get it resonating and putting out a harmonic. Eventually it becomes part of your technique to just put your palm gently on those low strings as you move up and mute the higher strings with one of your fretting fingers. The unmuted strings are always causing this background noise when playing.

Ben Eller has a nice video on it that helped me out a while back, specifically here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIRmnpTFRc&t=181s

Yeah, they're definitely sympathetic vibrations, they just seem more prevalent than on any guitar I've played before and I wondered if there was some adjustment that could help. I did notice that switching from the bridge pickup to the neck helped a little. I also tried just touching my thumb against the string as I played and that helped. I'll check out the video, thank you!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Pham Nuwen posted:

So my electric (Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster, jesus what a mouthful) seems to really "ring" on the E string (the lower-pitched one, not e) when I'm playing... well almost anything. I can play just about any notes on the higher strings and pretty quick the E string will be ringing away. I try to mute it with my palm when I remember but that's just another thing to manage when I'm trying not to suck at just Playing The drat Notes. Any suggestions?

I would be a terrible guitar teacher because all i can say is listen to what you are playing and pay attention to what your body is doing and just adjust as needed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

excellent bird guy posted:

I would be a terrible guitar teacher because all i can say is listen to what you are playing and pay attention to what your body is doing and just adjust as needed.

you're supposed to tell me about the secret hidden screw that i turn to make it sound perfect!!!! screw you all i'm gonna go mess with the truss rod.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how are these Fender Vintera gits? kinda scoping out the 60's strat...the 60's profile neck sounds cool. but is it just a mexican standard with an extra bell or whistle for $200-$300 more? cuz if thats the case no bueno

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't done any rigorous comparison, but I also noticed that my Telecaster (American Performer) seemed to have more sympathetic vibrations than my Les Paul. So maybe just a consequence of the design? At worst, you're not uniquely crazy.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ya, but the trick to teaching guitar is knowing which adjustments to prescribe

and a big part of a guitar teachers job is to raise your standards for whether your playing sounds good

another way to do this without a teachers help is to record and listen back

it's easy for some people to be satisfied with so-so guitar playing, and sometimes it takes a critical ear to get you to play your best

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

how are these Fender Vintera gits? kinda scoping out the 60's strat...the 60's profile neck sounds cool. but is it just a mexican standard with an extra bell or whistle for $200-$300 more? cuz if thats the case no bueno

They're good guitars, though whether or not the extra money is worth it to you I guess will depend. I have a Vintera Jaguar that I really love.

What makes the Vintera line different from the Player line is that the Vintera is much more of a period-accurate take on the line while the Player is a more modern version. So with the Vintera you get a vintage neck profile, 7.25" radius, vintage fretwire, vintage voiced pickups, as well as vintage tuners and trem, while in the Player it's a modern neck carve, flatter radius and larger fretwire, hotter pickups, with a two-point trem and modern-style tuners. The Vintera Modified line adds some of the most common mods made to vintage guitars, such as adding slightly overwound pickups, satin finishes, stuff like that.

What made the Jaguar right for me was that I liked the unique single coils, all the switches and bridge of the original Jag so the Player series didn't really appeal to me since they added a humbucker and simplified the switching.

So, long story short, if you want something that plays like a vintage guitar then go Vintera. If you don't care about that then go with a Player.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Chip McFuck posted:

They're good guitars, though whether or not the extra money is worth it to you I guess will depend. I have a Vintera Jaguar that I really love.

What makes the Vintera line different from the Player line is that the Vintera is much more of a period-accurate take on the line while the Player is a more modern version. So with the Vintera you get a vintage neck profile, 7.25" radius, vintage fretwire, vintage voiced pickups, as well as vintage tuners and trem, while in the Player it's a modern neck carve, flatter radius and larger fretwire, hotter pickups, with a two-point trem and modern-style tuners. The Vintera Modified line adds some of the most common mods made to vintage guitars, such as adding slightly overwound pickups, satin finishes, stuff like that.

What made the Jaguar right for me was that I liked the unique single coils, all the switches and bridge of the original Jag so the Player series didn't really appeal to me since they added a humbucker and simplified the switching.

So, long story short, if you want something that plays like a vintage guitar then go Vintera. If you don't care about that then go with a Player.

As far as I can tell, Vintera and Vintera Modified are renamed/tweaked versions of the Classic and Classic Player series from a few years ago. I owned a couple of the Classic Players and they were great. They had some mods and unique properties, which I believe mostly carried over to the Vintera Modified (4 way switch on the tele, neck + bridge pickup position on the strat, BIG FAT neck on the 50's tele and strat, upgraded pickups, etc.). The differences from more standard/Player series seem more pronounced on the 50's versions than the 60's to me.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

it's weird how that style is called math-rock but I don't see how math is involved, there is no division or subtraction going on.

Complex sub division of rhythmic values played in the songs is why I thought it was called math rock.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

The Leck posted:

As far as I can tell, Vintera and Vintera Modified are renamed/tweaked versions of the Classic and Classic Player series from a few years ago. I owned a couple of the Classic Players and they were great. They had some mods and unique properties, which I believe mostly carried over to the Vintera Modified (4 way switch on the tele, neck + bridge pickup position on the strat, BIG FAT neck on the 50's tele and strat, upgraded pickups, etc.). The differences from more standard/Player series seem more pronounced on the 50's versions than the 60's to me.

yeah its that chonky 50s neck style

i think i might pull the trigger on a 50's vintera telecaster. ive basically played second hand Mexican teles my whole broke rear end life until a dear dear friend gifted me a Gibby Les Paul a few years ago.

now i finally have the money to kind of set my own terms buying a nicer Fender and frankly nothing they are offering is popping out to me. im also kind of stuck with Sweetwater because i have a $150.00 gift card

from what I can tell its across all the big music websites, but a ton of stuff is on back order. i originally was going to go cheap and get a G&L tribute but they haven't been in stock for 2 months.

i just recorded a few tracks using my studio guy's American telecaster, and it sounds loving great but i wasn't in love with the way those play. the conclusion i dread is that ive become a Les Paul man

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If you're a Les Paul man and you don't want to be the obvious solution is to get a PRS.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my first concert as a youngin was Creed so maybe

edit: which reminds me that its weird being a millennial with a genX father. he likes heavier music than i do. not that creed is heavy. but Pearl Jam/Bush/Alice in Chains was/still is his kind of music. I like Buck owens lol

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 4, 2020

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

20 Blunts posted:

I have a Fender Vintera '50s Telecaster Modified in Surf Green, brand new in soft travel case, for $200 off MSRP if you are interested.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
seems like the 7.5 radius might not jive well if you're used to an LP neck - they're pretty flat right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, 12" radius on Gibson/Epiphone stuff but whether or not that's a problem will depend on the person. In my own experience it's pretty easy to switch between that and the 7.5" on the Jaguar.