Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

BurritoJustice posted:

holy poo poo, I can't tell if Stormfront planned the housing estate massacre or she just got annoyed by the screaming and decided to just burn them all. crazy how quick it changed to her manufacturing a terrorist attack. plus it was definitely not a coincidence it was a whole house of PoC and she ended it off by slurring the guy as she killed him.

also the black/purple eye effects are nuts

I honestly think she killed the people cause they were black. And it was reinforced by her calling Kimikos brother a yellow bastard before snapping his neck. She is hella racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seems like she's just her char from You're The Worst. Until episode 3. :stonklol:

Haha, yeah I posted that when I'd only seen through episode 2 and then bam!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Caught the first couple of episodes, I was pissed at MM and Frenchie being so pro-Butcher in the first episode but in the second when they choose to stick with Hughie when Butcher tells them to abandon him was great.

Also goddamn Homelander continues to be the most amazing and terrifying piece of poo poo. I'm not sure what I found more horrifying: lapping at the breastmilk, revealing that he'd heard Becca's conversation from miles away while he was wandering about her empty house, or just how cruel his punishment of Butcher was, showing him a tantalizing glimpse of his wife being alive then dumping him in a completely different state so now he KNOWS she is alive but has no idea where.

Azhais posted:

But she's right about Pippi Longstocking, that girl doesn't get enough credit

Hell yeah, Pippi Longstocking rules :hai:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 4, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Not crazy about redemption narrative for The Deep. I don't loving care how a rapist is made. I care that he's a rapist.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Maeve stuff is very tense, and I'm worried about where that's going.

GD_American posted:

Not crazy about redemption narrative for The Deep. I don't loving care how a rapist is made. I care that he's a rapist.

I don't think it's gonna be redemptive at all. He became a Scientologist but isn't even bothering to do the self-help stuff and he's gonna get let back into the Seven by Homelander over the objections of all the women.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm not so sure about that last one. The "....Sure." was fairly dismissive.

Least he didn't deafen the dude like the Daredevil wannabe. drat.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Who doesn't like Mothers Milk?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Caught the first couple of episodes, I was pissed at MM and Frenchie being so pro-Butcher in the first episode but in the second when they choose to stick with Hughie when Butcher tells them to abandon him was great.

Also goddamn Homelander continues to be the most amazing and terrifying piece of poo poo. I'm not sure what I found more horrifying: lapping at the breastmilk, revealing that he'd heard Becca's conversation from miles away while he was wandering about her empty house, or just how cruel his punishment of Butcher was, showing him a tantalizing glimpse of his wife being alive then dumping him in a completely different state so now he KNOWS she is alive but has no idea where.

Hell yeah, Pippi Longstocking rules :hai:

Jesus yeah....freakin Starr still knocks it out of the park every time. He really does such an insanely good job with every aspect with the Homelander. He was called a manchild and I don't think that is far off. He's like the worst stereotype of a goon with ultimate power.

I like Stormfront making her nazi roots subtle at first. I'm only assuming nazi due to racist cleansing and her name is Stormfront which has very ... unfortunate tendencies. I also find her hot which is almost a divining rod for crazy and evil. You can give me weird looks but it is 100% accurate with fiction and real life. Doesn't matter if they play it good at first either. I'm fairly sure I have serious issues.

GD_American posted:

I'd like to think anyone can make genuine strides towards redemption but it takes acts of true admission and honesty over one's guilt as well as genuine contrition and acts of repentance that last a lifetime. Genuine redemption and forgiveness (not saying anyone needs to forget) should always be available as otherwise the alternatives are just a combo of nasty and sad. If anyone reads this know you can always become a better person and it is never too late to do so. All that said... I do not think that is where this is headed. Like the other goon I don't think the Homelander's offer was genuine in the slightest. It was just to get the sad loser to back off and get out of his way. Homelander doesn't really give a poo poo about deep or even about what he did... Homelander only cares about how things affect Homelander. The Deep is a sad broken thing that is going to get buggered by everything and everyone around him. Maybe he sacrifices himself doing good but, just as like, he snaps and tries to go grimdark just to be killed off like the joke tosser he is.

Homelander scares me.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 4, 2020

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah there are multiple reasons The Mandalorian was the breakout hit of 2019 but dragging out the excitement and the conversation over the course of 2 months was a huge factor. Compared to say, The Witcher, which people binged in a week, the song went viral, and everyone stopped talking about it after a few days.

Yeah I think we're going to go back to more episodic pieces after the Mandalorian. It kept conversation going a lot more.

The issue with that approach, however, is that Mandalorian was VERY episodic in a way VERY few "prestige" dramas are these days. In one episode of that show there is usually new characters, a conflict, and a resolution showing some growth in the story or characters. With other shows that are released all at once, especially in the fantasy / sci-fi genre, these days a single plot point will be stretched across multiple episodes.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Any character can have a redemption arc. A lovely person can learn to be less lovely.

the deep has issues. Him coming to grow an acceptance of his gills just to have homelander call them disgusting cause he had a tear in his vest was brutal. The sure homelander gave the deep about coming back into the 7 was a no, without wanting to say no cause homelander didn't want to deal with the deep begging and making a scene.

The deep will have a redemption arc, it will be lovely and long and he probably won't be forgiven by many people and it's something i'm interested in watching unravel this season

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
loving awesome first three episodes! My personal favorite was the Pippi Longstocking speech. :3:

Also, no idea where they are going with the Deep, but I rather enjoy his arc so far.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

As someone who LOVED You're the Worst

It is so good to see Aya back on tv

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 4, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1301946311147548672?s=21

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

homelander could be the best villain on TV, every scene he's in... there's just so much menace and threat the scene when he's talking to maeve after she gets off the phone with her ex was terrifying. it feels like at any second he could snap and just kill people

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 4, 2020

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

What? When was that, I think I missed it.

Also Patton Oswalt's character was a surprise

It was a scene where there was a close-up of a light bulb, the camera centers on it and a prominent fly buzzes around and lands on it, then they zoom in on the scene-- I have to re-watch to get the episode and time frame

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

homelander could be the best villain on TV, every scene he's in... there's just so much menace and threat the scene when he's talking to maeve after she gets off the phone with her ex was terrifying. it feels like at any second he could snap and just kill people

Yeah plus how the first season shows his smiles and attempts to have a wholesome image is just misdirection forhow he really enjoys lording over / killing regular people.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Yeah it really helps justify the terror that everyone feels around him. I'm not sure anyone else could pull this off so well. Maeve I feel so bad for. She's this all powerful wonder woman type who is legit terrified of what he will do to everyone around her. She knows he's a psychopathic monster who the world thinks is the golden boy. Nobody would believe her and he would just smile and wave, chop her girlfriend up in a million pieces then get the nobel peace prize and get hugged by children. The brutal way he killed NotDaredevil was shocking. This was just some guy who was genuinely thrilled to be there and idolized him just to be killed (I doubt he survived the splattering or the Vought cleanup afterwards) because Homelander decided he didn't want a cripple on the team. There is a delicate balancing act as you don't want Homelander to be the all powerful flawless villain nor over the top where it loses its teeth. Starr has this nuanced performance that just makes the graphic violence even more frightening.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

Yeah it really helps justify the terror that everyone feels around him. I'm not sure anyone else could pull this off so well. Maeve I feel so bad for. She's this all powerful wonder woman type who is legit terrified of what he will do to everyone around her. She knows he's a psychopathic monster who the world thinks is the golden boy. Nobody would believe her and he would just smile and wave, chop her girlfriend up in a million pieces then get the nobel peace prize and get hugged by children. The brutal way he killed NotDaredevil was shocking. This was just some guy who was genuinely thrilled to be there and idolized him just to be killed (I doubt he survived the splattering or the Vought cleanup afterwards) because Homelander decided he didn't want a cripple on the team. There is a delicate balancing act as you don't want Homelander to be the all powerful flawless villain nor over the top where it loses its teeth. Starr has this nuanced performance that just makes the graphic violence even more frightening.

it was definitely a 'what the gently caress is the point of daredevil' given in the most brutal, horrifying way possible. or the abject terror you see in ashley when stormfront comes up when they're filming the commercial to announce she's joined the 7 - she's almost crying because she's so scared about what homelander is going to do to her. I cannot think of a comic book villain depicted so well, or who creates such tension in the viewer, as Homelander does. seriously - not in any other TV show or movie.

YOU GUYS, YOU'RE THE REAL HEROES!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I love that homelander is such a loving psychopath that he couldn't even get a 9 year old boy on his side. Like goddamn, he's superman and he made a meek kid hate his loving guts in like a week.

Also why wouldn't the US government just instantly seize all of Vaught's poo poo once they found out 1) they have a formula to create super humans and 2)they leaked it to terrorists. I imagine that would be something the government would want at all costs and would have solid enough justification that nobody could really stop them.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 4, 2020

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

DogsInSpace! posted:

Yeah it really helps justify the terror that everyone feels around him.

I was surprised how many people stood up to Homelander so far this season. He got chewed out by Mr. Edgar, Stormfront is not remotely impressed by him, his son and Becca kicked him out of their house, Butcher called him a oval office and dropped a city block on his head. Starr is every bit as terrifying as ever in his performance and casual violence but I'm getting the feeling at some point this season Homelander will become an actual hero. It helps thay Aya Cash is killing it as a new, completely different type of monster.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

CeeJee posted:

I was surprised how many people stood up to Homelander so far this season. He got chewed out by Mr. Edgar, Stormfront is not remotely impressed by him, his son and Becca kicked him out of their house, Butcher called him a oval office and dropped a city block on his head. Starr is every bit as terrifying as ever in his performance and casual violence but I'm getting the feeling at some point this season Homelander will become an actual hero. It helps thay Aya Cash is killing it as a new, completely different type of monster.

I think he's always been afraid of Mr. Edgar and I don't think Stormfront has seen him without the PR mask yet

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I am absolutely loving seeing Homelander getting absolutely humbled in every way at every turn. You suck poo poo at understanding business, you suck poo poo as a father, none of your peers like you, your power level is being approached by random drugged up science experiment nobodies... just everything.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Are the plots of this show directly from the comics because I would love to read them but don't want to spoil this season.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Are the plots of this show directly from the comics because I would love to read them but don't want to spoil this season.

No at this point they've pretty conclusively departed from the comics. There may be a few things there that they could use as the skeleton of future storylines, but there's no "oohhh Event X is coming" left.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

GD_American posted:

No at this point they've pretty conclusively departed from the comics. There may be a few things there that they could use as the skeleton of future storylines, but there's no "oohhh Event X is coming" left.

Oh that is awesome! Thanks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

I felt a whole lot of tension in that chewing out scene with Mr. Edgar because I don't think he fully understands Homelander. Yeah, Edgar controls the money and generally does have more power than Homelander in a broad sense, but I don't think he realizes Homelander will just melt somebody's face if they push him far enough, and Mr. Edgar was realllllllly pushing.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

Bear in mind that Homelander is that awful "Beta Male/Middle Manager that is convinced he is the true Alpha Male" except he has the powers of Superman and could destroy the planet if you got him angry enough. In his mind we are all ants and he deserves to be our God King. Mr Edgar is actually THE BIG HEAD CHEESE and treats HL like a King spanking his spoiled Prince. Even Homelander's bluster stops the moment Edgar puts him in his place. I think Edgar's "pause" with the 7 later is because Edgar does realize that, despite Homie being a typical wannabe Royal, the dude still has very dangerous powers so he doesn't want to push him far. Becca kicks him out of the house trying to be brave but we see how terrified she is later. She is smart enough to realize the worst thing you could do is show your fear. Homelander is also that kid who likes to torture bugs so she knows not to look like a bug. Stormfront has no idea what she is in for and just thinks sees the goody goody exterior and probably smells the insecurity. Again if it wasn't for his powers you would laugh at this guy and be glad he isn't your boss. I don't think she knows how dangerous he really is. People often underestimate danger. I think even Edgar doesn't fully appreciate how quickly HL can go off the rails but he certainly sees quite a bit of danger. Hubris.

Butcher? He's unhinged. Maybe I'm reading that guy wrong but, before he found his wife in s1 finale, I was wondering how much he really grieved her and how much he used her to justify his own violence. Honestly I would be more worried if Butcher had Homelander's powers than the Homelander. I still don't fully buy his whole grieving husband routine and I love Karl Urban. Just something in his performance reeks of even darker menace and a desire to light poo poo on fire and chuckle at the screams. Urban also is good about bringing subtle bits to his roles. Watch Dredd if you haven't already.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

3rd ep is best episode of this series

Goddamn

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like that The team takes Hughies side in the conflict with Butcher, and also they really showcase what a poo poo head Butcher is and how unhinged he is

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They spoiled the whale scene with the trailers.

But goddamn, they didn't spoil the best part of working out their interpersonal issues inside the whale with that goddamned heart still beating

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Can the thread title be renamed to "infected with a raging case of vagina"? That was a quote from ep2

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I like that The team takes Hughies side in the conflict with Butcher, and also they really showcase what a poo poo head Butcher is and how unhinged he is

Going out to get Karl Urban for the role was really brilliant.

Henker
May 5, 2009

So Stormfront is an actual literal Nazi right? With the references to Operation Paperclip and the random mentioning of an old superhero (Liberty), I'm guessing she joined up with the US after WWII under an alias.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have to reread the comic I thought butcher came off a bit better in it. Like, he's still a psycho who will sacrifice anyone to achieve his goals but he's smart enough to pretend he cares about you. He does super manipulative poo poo in the background just so he can come off as a good friend when he fixes the problem he caused. In the TV show he's a blatant shithead who will drop you the second he thinks you've outlived your usefulness. he keeps lying and loving everything up so I don't get why everybody isn't hewie levels of mad at him

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I could see Stormfront being Liberty's daughter, maybe

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The comic version absolutely is, sooo

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Henker posted:

So Stormfront is an actual literal Nazi right? With the references to Operation Paperclip and the random mentioning of an old superhero (Liberty), I'm guessing she joined up with the US after WWII under an alias.

This is comics spoilers related to Stormfront.

In the comics that's exactly what he was, the ubermmensch to help Hitler win the war, but Vogelbaum defected and dragged him along.He was always a powerhouse, just not quite on Homelander's level and they kept him kind of in the background because they didn't want anyone digging too deep into him. The show though, I don't think so. Unless I missed it, we don't know if compound V slows the aging process like it does in the comics and a dude who was alive during WWII could still look young now or not. I think she's just a straight up lovely alt-right racist like Laura Loomer or somebody like that.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Oh wow he was not lying

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

New thread title "The Boys: This... This is nice."

Thoughts on the first 3:
Stormfront strikes me as the Extremely Online turbo-accelerationist nihilist alt-righter. Whatever's going to happen is going to happen. She'll just ride out the wave as best she can. See also her comment to Homelander about "gently caress Vought?" -- she got enthused about that. The interactions with her & Starlight were super-revealing : Starlight is already playing the game well enough that Stormfront has a huge blind spot w/r/t her.

Exciting to see Homelander realize he's loving up being a dad but doesn't really know how to do any better, so he'll stay the course.

Butcher's brief moment of vulnerability made him look really pathetic, which I didn't expect. We knew why he was so driven and assholey, but hearing him say out loud made him less complex, IMO.

I wonder what kind of superhero reveal Stan Edgar is going to have? If you're going to be the CEO of Vought, you're not going to be a filthy normal, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Boys: Challenge of the Superfriends