Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

With the Mr. Edgar thing I'm also curious about how much he knows about what Homelander has done off the books. He clearly knows that he's a monster, but does he know he shot down the plane in Season 1? Or abandoned that other plane? I think its conceivable that he recognizes Homelander is dangerous but doesn't quite appreciate how unhinged he is.

Also, with Stormfront I think she's just supposed to be an altright shithead, yea, not that she has a direct link to Actual Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

With the Mr. Edgar thing I'm also curious about how much he knows about what Homelander has done off the books. He clearly knows that he's a monster, but does he know he shot down the plane in Season 1? Or abandoned that other plane? I think its conceivable that he recognizes Homelander is dangerous but doesn't quite appreciate how unhinged he is.

Also, with Stormfront I think she's just supposed to be an altright shithead, yea, not that she has a direct link to Actual Nazis.

I mean, if he knows Homelander gave actual terrorists Compound V, then it's not a stretch to imagine he'd guess Homelander being responsible for other evil criminal things as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DogsInSpace! posted:

Butcher? He's unhinged. Maybe I'm reading that guy wrong but, before he found his wife in s1 finale, I was wondering how much he really grieved her and how much he used her to justify his own violence.

In the comics, this is explicit. Butcher has always been a violent rear end in a top hat, in part because of his abusive father. He joined the Army because the alternative was prison and fought in the Falklands War, which didn't help; it sometimes gets disparagingly described as "the weekend war", but it did gently caress people up, and around the 30th anniversary it came out that more Falklands veterans had since committed suicide than actually died in the war. He met Becky when he came out of the Army and he used his love for her to control his violent side. And after her death, as you said, he used that love to justify letting it out again. But he was genuinely grieving, which is why he came up with his final plan. Success meant dying himself, and that wasn't as much a price he was willing to pay as part of the object of the exercise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

boo_radley posted:

I wonder what kind of superhero reveal Stan Edgar is going to have? If you're going to be the CEO of Vought, you're not going to be a filthy normal, right?

I hope not. I just want him to be a regular human who has power over Homelander because of his intelligence and business skills, not because he has a higher power level or whatever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrManiac posted:

Also why wouldn't the US government just instantly seize all of Vaught's poo poo once they found out 1) they have a formula to create super humans and 2)they leaked it to terrorists. I imagine that would be something the government would want at all costs and would have solid enough justification that nobody could really stop them.

How? Oops, you started a war in downtown Manhattan that you can't win.

Fifteen minutes later Oops, the President is dead.

24 hours later Long live our new overlords!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 4, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved those 3 episodes, but holy poo poo that scene where Homelander just wrecks Notdaredevil was just so loving brutal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

How? Oops, you started a war in downtown Manhattan that you can't win.

Fifteen minutes later Oops, the President is dead.

24 hours later Long live our new overlords!

You assume that all the supes are on the same level as Homelander and that they are all loyal to Vought.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The biggest surprise for me out of the entire 3 episode arc so far had to be the baby lived. I was positive that lil dude was chili splattered across a few miles, but nope, Homelander actually saved the kid. Honestly dunno what to make of that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The biggest surprise for me out of the entire 3 episode arc so far had to be the baby lived. I was positive that lil dude was chili splattered across a few miles, but nope, Homelander actually saved the kid. Honestly dunno what to make of that.

Oh yeah dude, shocking to the point that you're like ... there something we don't know about that baby?

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope not. I just want him to be a regular human who has power over Homelander because of his intelligence and business skills, not because he has a higher power level or whatever.

There is a contingency plan for taking care of Homelander if he goes off the rails in the comics, it would make sense that it also exists in the show and he knows about it. If Vought doesn't and just overlooked that aspect because of corporate greed, and he's just arrogant, that's also cool too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You assume that all the supes are on the same level as Homelander and that they are all loyal to Vought.

I'm pretty sure Homelander could dismantle the upper echelons of the US government if he had 20 minutes. The biggest obstacle to him would be knowing where they were severally located.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's a bit weird that I know Karen Fukuhara only from her voice acting in She-Ra, while she's mute here. So those are completely separated skill sets. And those characters are quite distinct. I guess I randomly read her name in both credits and wanted to know why I knew that name. Either way, she's doing a really good job.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 5, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm pretty sure Homelander could dismantle the upper echelons of the US government if he had 20 minutes. The biggest obstacle to him would be knowing where they were severally located.

Things Homelander cares about :
  • Homelander
  • Money
  • Fame
  • Homelander

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The paradox of Homelander is that even though he despises regular people he desperately needs their love and approval. Also, he's not used to people standing up to him, and doesn't use his Big Dick Power Move of touching people in a threatening way on either Stormfront or Edgar.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DrManiac posted:

I have to reread the comic I thought butcher came off a bit better in it. Like, he's still a psycho who will sacrifice anyone to achieve his goals but he's smart enough to pretend he cares about you. He does super manipulative poo poo in the background just so he can come off as a good friend when he fixes the problem he caused. In the TV show he's a blatant shithead who will drop you the second he thinks you've outlived your usefulness. he keeps lying and loving everything up so I don't get why everybody isn't hewie levels of mad at him

Butcher comes off better in the comic, but that's partly because the writer of the comic is a little too sympathetic to Butcher's ostensible "Drink up me lads!" macho rear end in a top hat schtick.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Homelander alone could wipe out the White House if he wanted to. Hell, Black Noir probably could too, and they likely have a couple of guys like Black Noir on the payroll. They'd (probably) get splattered eventually by military grade munitions, but not before causing an insane amount of damage. Vought doesn't need superheroes to be powerful enough to rule the world, they just need superheroes to be dangerous enough that you'd rather have Vought in charge of them than not.

Vought is the ultimate corporate parasite. They add nothing of value to the world, but they're strong enough and big enough that nobody wants to take on the job of removing them either. Vought always engineers a world where the cost-benefit analysis of Vought's continued existence favors Vought's existence, and that's why they will never lose.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 5, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
This girl is no genius. She keeps on going like person boy girl. That's close but the actual sequence is person man woman camera TV. Not many people can remember that, so I don't blame her.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

• Homelander
  • Money
  • Fame
  • Homelander

I don't think he cares about money? He seems to desperately want people to worship him, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He also seems to want the good ol 50s apple pie America. I doubt it's Vought that would have an issue with Maeve having a girlfriend

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

• Homelander
  • Money
  • Fame
  • Homelander

I don't think Homelander has shown much interest in money, it seems so beneath his worries he never brings it up unless it's to be spiteful of how Vought itself only cares about money.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Azhais posted:

He also seems to want the good ol 50s apple pie America. I doubt it's Vought that would have an issue with Maeve having a girlfriend

Homelander has an issue with Maeve’s girlfriend because Homelander has severe mommy abandonment issues and would have an issue sharing the attention of any woman he felt attached to; he was jealous of a literal infant last season. He’d also reject his fake girlfriend as being gay because it would reflect poorly on his public masculine self image.

I never got the sense that he had any sincerely held belief in the religious or right wing stuff that’s associated with him in the public consciousness but he is deeply attached to maintaining the narrative that he is wholesome and normal and white bread, because ultimately he is afraid of being abandoned as an unloved laboratory produced “freak”.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope we get a scene of Homelander walking through cubicles of nameless drones on a different floor looking for pictures of happy families on their desks.

"So... Francisco... Great job here, you're really on the fast-track. Is that a picture of your son there? Good looking kid... so .. how old was he when you told him about... girls?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Everyone is excited about the Patton Oswalt cameo, but no one has enough love for the joke that the GooGoo Dolls music was diagetic

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

I doubt it's Vought that would have an issue with Maeve having a girlfriend

Polls great with millennials!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I hope we get a scene of Homelander walking through cubicles of nameless drones on a different floor looking for pictures of happy families on their desks.

"So... Francisco... Great job here, you're really on the fast-track. Is that a picture of your son there? Good looking kid... so .. how old was he when you told him about... girls?"
Homelander tries playing matchmaker, but he keeps trying to hook his kid up with career management types.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Homelander warming the milk with his heat vision and then slowly dipping his tongue into the bottle was... horrifying.

Karl Urban is a treasure and Antony Starr deserves a goddamned Emmy.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

What's the Fresca thing? Are they an advertiser?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

tenbux it's a weird cultist thing that will be addressed.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

I think it's supposed to be a classical conditioning thing. Do well, get Fresca. I keep thinking it's a reference to Let's Go To Prison, but I dunno

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

In the comic Mother’s Milk was all about the lactose fixation. In the series it’s Homelander. The series does turn plot points from the comics on its head but we never got the full backstory on MM did we?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm glad Amazon has the overlay with trivia because I definitely thought the bartender in the S2 episode one was a skinny Haley Joel Osment.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They'd (probably) get splattered eventually by military grade munitions, but not before causing an insane amount of damage.

I don’t think they have anything that could kill homelander. As shown he could defeat all other supes and military alone

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Man, the menacing tension that Homelander can bring to a room is crazy. The other character that comes to mind with that kind of energy is Tuco in Breaking Bad.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Shows amazing. Don’t really see a drop off in quality. Loving Aya Cash!

I think that one something which is really interesting is how they play with Homelanders reaction and relationship with Stormfront,.the thread has covered it previously, but he has some serious mommy/attachment/control issues with women. And all sexual in some nature, but always felt like smaller party I’d the whole. He seemed to like Maeve, Stillwell, and starlight. Okay ish. He’s the “ALPHA”, or so he thinks. But got drat does he quickly fall about when Stormfront shows up. It throws him off his game. And she doesn’t even care about his game. She here to do her poo poo. Which would be interesting to see if she is Voughts pawn. Who knows. Lots of dynamics I didn’t expect flying around. I’m pumped for the rest.

Can’t wait for Friday.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Automatic Slim posted:

In the comic Mother’s Milk was all about the lactose fixation. In the series it’s Homelander. The series does turn plot points from the comics on its head but we never got the full backstory on MM did we?

I don’t think we ever did. Is he a former supe or just a guy in butchers gang? Also,what’s frenchies backstory. His real story. Cause I’m sure he has a few.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kwatz posted:

I don’t think we ever did. Is he a former supe or just a guy in butchers gang? Also,what’s frenchies backstory. His real story. Cause I’m sure he has a few.

If they manage to film the bereted, stripe shirted baguette jousting story (say, as part of Frenchie obviously loving with someone asking his origin story) I'd just go berserk

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I need more Black Noir episodes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

withak posted:

I need more Black Noir episodes.

I did enjoy that part where he stood around impassively

Caros
May 14, 2008

DogsInSpace! posted:

Bear in mind that Homelander is that awful "Beta Male/Middle Manager that is convinced he is the true Alpha Male" except he has the powers of Superman and could destroy the planet if you got him angry enough. In his mind we are all ants and he deserves to be our God King. Mr Edgar is actually THE BIG HEAD CHEESE and treats HL like a King spanking his spoiled Prince. Even Homelander's bluster stops the moment Edgar puts him in his place. I think Edgar's "pause" with the 7 later is because Edgar does realize that, despite Homie being a typical wannabe Royal, the dude still has very dangerous powers so he doesn't want to push him far. Becca kicks him out of the house trying to be brave but we see how terrified she is later. She is smart enough to realize the worst thing you could do is show your fear. Homelander is also that kid who likes to torture bugs so she knows not to look like a bug. Stormfront has no idea what she is in for and just thinks sees the goody goody exterior and probably smells the insecurity. Again if it wasn't for his powers you would laugh at this guy and be glad he isn't your boss. I don't think she knows how dangerous he really is. People often underestimate danger. I think even Edgar doesn't fully appreciate how quickly HL can go off the rails but he certainly sees quite a bit of danger. Hubris.

Mr. Edgar seems to be in part a take on the comics version of Stillwell, who had a rather interesting end:

Comic Stillwell has the same absurd level of calm that Edgar displays, to the point that when Homelander finally goes completely off the edge he remains entirely unphased by the bloodstained lunatic who shows up at his window to kill him. He calls out homelander for the fact that despite all his power he has never done anything remotely original or outstanding, never done anything that any other person with that power wouldn't do.

Guy is smart enough to know that Homelander has daddy issues and a need to impress, that he'd rather say 'I told you so' before tearing off his head. Ends up living through the comic, shockingly.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Honelander feels weaker this season, they all do. I'm not getting the feeling of power from the characters, that they're superhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Honelander feels weaker this season, they all do. I'm not getting the feeling of power from the characters, that they're superhuman.

I think they did a good job of displaying

A taste of how terrifying someone like the Deep could be (on water)

Show what a badass telekinetic might look like on a more realistic scale

edit: If we could all be so lucky as to have a weird and good friend as Eagle, how lovely would that be

Victis fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 5, 2020