Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah she doesnt stop being a witch i conflated the jiji thing and her power blockage. but also i still dont like the framing device of the dude, its a completely unnecessary subplot that mostly serves to tie 'maturity' into romance.

really in general miyazaki and ghiblis roles for women always feel very... stifled. like theyre strong characters but they have to be strong in a way that is specific to women and fits within their role. maidens and mothers basically. even mononoke and nausica kind of fit this, the role the female leads take towards nature has a very motherly, nurturing vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
nausicaa absolutely does it but i think 'nurturing' is the last word that comes to mind for sen from mononoke-hime, and everything about the iron town owns. the lord of the iron town and the wolf god's rivalry is perfect

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a tension that's really on display in the Nausica manga especially given you have a arc where Nauscia really does become a mother figure. Not to mention Kushana on the surface seems like a contrast but in the end really isn't. That's why I find the most interesting of his works as it probably the closest to what he actually believes/thinks IMHO

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

nausicaa absolutely does it but i think 'nurturing' is the last word that comes to mind for sen from mononoke-hime, and everything about the iron town owns. the lord of the iron town and the wolf god's rivalry is perfect
maybe not 'nurturing' but like... protective?

i agree the iron town owns but i dont think you're supposed to think that

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
there's definitely a conservative streak in ghibli stories that I think has a lot to do with anxiety about modernity. miyazaki's female characters are very like... archetypal in their femininity? old ladies, pure girls, mothers, that kinda thing. but within those very binary-adhering roles i think you still see some bold characterization. like in Laputa I think, there's an old lady who's a sky pirate queen? and I think Nausicaa kills a man with a sword out of pure wrath and later shoots down a plane with a minigun? and the matron of the mining town in Mononoke goes full Attack and Dethrone God

I guess a lot of the takeaway from Miyazaki movies maybe boils down to "Moms are tough," but I don't know if that's the worst thing for an internationally-renowned family animation studio to be putting out there. Like Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa feel like a gender revolution compared to Disney movies (Mulan returns to her prescribed gender role at the end of the movie; Nausicaa develops an earth-mother quality but it never negates her status as an action heroine)

note that i haven't read the nausicaa manga yet

edit: i basically totally agree with you endorph, i guess i just personally think of it as "well i can't expect grandpa's anime studio to have all the answers" and appreciate the good things in them

Cephas fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 4, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah im mostly coming at this from a perspective of 'traumatized by gifsets on tumblr talking about how ghibli was the only feminist anime'

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I've seen it twice and it's maybe the worst anime I've seen.

time to die bitch

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cephas posted:

note that i haven't read the nausicaa manga yet
There's a lot more characterization to characters like Kushana, who is both developed further and given more agency, though it does have a subplot where she is held against her will to potentially marry one of the principal villains. If anything the mother theming is stronger since Nausicaa effectively becomes an explicit one for one of the God Warriors.

The thing with the manga is how misanthropic it comes off by the end, the moral seems to effectively be that "any nature touched by man is irreversibly corrupted, even if it was generations ago, therefore we should just let it all burn down."

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Killer7Friday/status/1301988411247456256

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m sitting on a plane about to take off for an 8 hour flight and they have the live action Kaguya-sama, Love is War movie on here. I will watch and report back!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crunchyroll and Adult Swim have announced their latest collabo and it's a 13 episode adaptation of Shenmue.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why would you want a version of shenmue without the hours of janky simulation adventure game stuff in 80s japan

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

because they might adapt the boat chapter between 1 and 2 that only exists in manga form

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

one full episode of waiting for a shop to open while ryo opens capsule toys

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TMS(Tower of God and Conan) and directed by Sakurai Chikara(OPM2)

I hope it doesn't get the OPM2 treatment and gets the nice Tower of God animation instead.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

because they might adapt the boat chapter between 1 and 2 that only exists in manga form

its in the dreamcast ports isnt it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

The thing with the manga is how misanthropic it comes off by the end, the moral seems to effectively be that "any nature touched by man is irreversibly corrupted, even if it was generations ago, therefore we should just let it all burn down."

you can see the manga took like 13 years to complete because at the start while it's brutal at times it still stays somewhat optimist about things and seems to view the world from a somewhat materialist perspective until about the last 2 volumes, but then by the end it really goes off the deep end with a shift into weirdo cultism and misanthrophy? :confused:

i dunno what was going on in his head, but it makes you wonder if miyazaki had a time machine to look into the post 2000 climate inaction shitshow because in that case i could easily explain the tone shift lmao :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 5, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I rewatched Godzilla vs Mothra battle.for earth recently and I wish Battra would come back and destroy humanity for.our sins against gaia

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

no, ryo gets on the boat at the end of 1 and off it at the beginning of 2, and then talks to one of the characters from the cut chapter and is like "haha we sure had a great adventure huh?"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*checks notes* so you're saying... hayao miyazaki... used a time machine to conspire with the simpsons in predicting the future... hmm, right, right, now it all makes sense...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a miyazaki inverview where, IIRC (it's been a while), he starts rambling about how if you plant a tree, it might bring good, but it might also fall on your house and destroy it because nature is unpredictable

and that's why nausicaa ends the way it does lmfao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stairmaster posted:

No Shenmue game was ever ported to Dreamcast. Shenmue 1 was developed specifically for the Dreamcast and 2 was on Xbox.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

no, ryo gets on the boat at the end of 1 and off it at the beginning of 2, and then talks to one of the characters from the cut chapter and is like "haha we sure had a great adventure huh?"

er i meant xbox port sorry im high

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

still no!! i think you can read the manga in the xbox version though

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that makes it a visual novel then and thus the highest form of art

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
When you think about it, the SA Forums are just a Visual Novel.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Explains why the writing is usually so poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

No Shenmue game was ever ported to Dreamcast. Shenmue 1 was developed specifically for the Dreamcast and 2 was on Xbox.

Shenmue 2 was developed for the (specifically, originally) for Dreamcast and the Xbox version is a port. JP/EU got it on DC as well.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

Im the side character that gets a single panel of doing something dumb once a chapter.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Acerbatus posted:

Explains why the writing is usually so poo poo.

:emptyquote:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Truga posted:

there's a miyazaki inverview where, IIRC (it's been a while), he starts rambling about how if you plant a tree, it might bring good, but it might also fall on your house and destroy it because nature is unpredictable

and that's why nausicaa ends the way it does lmfao

I recently had a tree fall on my house but the small pine tree next to it held it up and kept it from doing any major damage. Nature is a land of contrasts

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Furnaceface posted:

Im the side character that gets a single panel of doing something dumb once a chapter.

i'm the gay "romance" option thats actually only 1/2 a chapter long before the game fades to the Bad Ending screen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't think i've ever experienced that in a vn

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Shinkalion owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

don't think i've ever experienced that in a vn

chris in muvluv i guess? but thats clearly a gag ending