Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RealFoxy posted:

A friend of mine bought a Switch used off Facebook that had Animal Crossing on an SD card, there's no way the digital copy is going to work on that switch if it's reformatted or the password is changed is there? Like if she wanted to start a new town the animal crossing on the SD card is entirely useless?

Yeah it's tied to the account on the Switch, so unless she has the login for it that copy is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

how the hell is this 12 minutes
"& more"

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lobok posted:

I've more or less skipped every other Nintendo console so I missed out on Super Mario 3D World. Glad I will get a chance to play it on Switch.

Its so good, me and my 4 year old still play it on our WiiU.

Gotta say my daughter and me are still getting tons on mileage out of our WiiU. She consistently plays 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and I’ve been showing her Wind Waker.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'm so excited for 3d all stars! I have a lot of catching up to do with GC/Wii Mario and Zelda so being able to play Sunshine and Galaxy is exciting. Hope a similar package for the last few Zelda games is released too some day. I know I can :filez: this stuff but man I just don't care to deal with that poo poo anymore!

On the topic of Mario, is $40 for a physical copy of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe worth it? Or should I just buy MM2 and try that again?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TheScott2K posted:

how the hell is this 12 minutes

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rocket Pan posted:

We have no control over Blood. If we could have done a Switch port, we'd have actually had one out from the start as it actually uses our current Kex3 pipeline.

That's a drat shame. Well hopefully Atari or Monolith or whoever lets you guys do it sometime.

Social Animal posted:

On the topic of Mario, is $40 for a physical copy of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe worth it? Or should I just buy MM2 and try that again?

I think so. It's 2 well made, but uninspired, Mario adventures. The level design makes up for the kinda boring visuals and music. Definitely pick it up if you've never played a NSMB game before, it's easily the best one.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol they did. Check out Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

I played it for an hour and this is some god drat fanfic :catstare::respek::mad:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Rad Valtar posted:

Its so good, me and my 4 year old still play it on our WiiU.

Gotta say my daughter and me are still getting tons on mileage out of our WiiU. She consistently plays 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and I’ve been showing her Wind Waker.

I have started Wind Waker (just got the boat) but had to put it away for now - we are still coming out of winter down here in the southern hemisphere and finding that it really clashes with the summery pallette and vibe.

Looking forward to pulling it out when I'm off work around Christmas :shobon: Got BotW to last me until then.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I used to very much dislike DSP but its getting to the point where his outrageous personality is strangely endearing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I used to very much dislike DSP but its getting to the point where his outrageous personality is strangely endearing.
https://twitter.com/theycallmedsp/status/1301963348834099200?s=21

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Coffee Jones posted:

I played it for an hour and this is some god drat fanfic :catstare::respek::mad:

The best part is it’s produced and written by the main writer of the original game.

It actually has some cool moments and decent characters, but the fanfiction aspect never stops rolling.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Those two have such a strange, adversarial chemistry. They genuinely do not seem to like each other but its been years of them content creating together so idk.

edit: nah nobody cares and it always causes a shitshow when its brought up

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 5, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

What's the best way to play the Oracle Zelda games? One of the refurbed handhelds the thread advocates? I'm going to get BotW one of these days but I think I'll always prefer top-down Zeldas and I never played either of those.

From a few pages back but a homebrewed OLED Vita if you can get one is the absolute best GB/GBC/GBA machine.
The colour on that screen for pixel art games is just mind blowing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurtilik posted:

It would be like Sqaure Enix doubling back and trying to connect all the Final Fantasies.

They did this to 1-6 with that shitpile FF4:TAY and the tl;dr is "the worlds of 1-3, 5-6 were consumed by the totally-not-a-lavos-ripoff final boss of TAY. So in the end, all the effort of those various light warriors meant nothing and their worlds were destroyed at the hands of the TAY boss. But the characters from 4 can beat him because they're totes the best (and the writer's favorite game)." Yes, really.

TAY, story wise it is easily the worst Final Fantasy. Even if you exclude what it does to 1-3 and 5-6 the writing is just so drat awful. Like the writer decided "hey I'm not just some fan I have actual pull here so I'm going to make my fevered dream in to a game."

Mechanics wise the game's pretty good. Lots of party members to choose from, combo skill system, the moon system for melee/magic can be helpful when used properly, you can just let Edge's idiot minions die and never deal with their poo poo ever again...etc. Except the rare drop mechanics, mainly because some rare drops are required to get certain characters and it's a lot of tedious farming.

b_d posted:

This image claims Baby DK was current DK. I'm inclined to believe it.

edit: hosed up how it lists Funky Kong as a friend but Swanky is relegated to "relationship unknown."

I think Nintendo at one point said Cranky is the OG Donkey Kong and DK jr is the DKC Donkey Kong, or is it just that that's what everyone assumes?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

They did this to 1-6 with that shitpile FF4:TAY and the tl;dr is "the worlds of 1-3, 5-6 were consumed by the totally-not-a-lavos-ripoff final boss of TAY. So in the end, all the effort of those various light warriors meant nothing and their worlds were destroyed at the hands of the TAY boss. But the characters from 4 can beat him because they're totes the best (and the writer's favorite game)." Yes, really.

TAY, story wise it is easily the worst Final Fantasy. Even if you exclude what it does to 1-3 and 5-6 the writing is just so drat awful. Like the writer decided "hey I'm not just some fan I have actual pull here so I'm going to make my fevered dream in to a game."

Mechanics wise the game's pretty good. Lots of party members to choose from, combo skill system, the moon system for melee/magic can be helpful when used properly, you can just let Edge's idiot minions die and never deal with their poo poo ever again...etc. Except the rare drop mechanics, mainly because some rare drops are required to get certain characters and it's a lot of tedious farming.

I think Nintendo at one point said Cranky is the OG Donkey Kong and DK jr is the DKC Donkey Kong, or is it just that that's what everyone assumes?

Cranky Kong is canonically the original Donkey Kong and DKC Donkey Kong is his grandson.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Beat "Moon Remix RPG Adventure". While the game is hardly perfect, it was very enjoyable and unique. I can definitely see why it was such a cult classic and has been in conversation for so long despite never receiving a Western release until now. I can't imagine beating the game without a guide though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I wouldn’t mind those Mario Puma shoes lol

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is Mario + Rabbids good. It’s fifteen bucks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is anything ever truly good

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

No

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Not on this timeline no.

Mario and rabbids is a fun kid-friendly Xcom.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Cranky Kong is canonically the original Donkey Kong and DKC Donkey Kong is his grandson.

Like Biff/Griff in Back to the Future 2.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

dark souls (2011 video game)

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Mario + Rabbids is great and indeed worth $15

It would be cool if Nintendo uses the 35th Anniversary of Mario period to announce a Super Mario Odyssey 2. That’s probably my most desired Switch game at this point, I did everything there is to do in Odyssey and it still didn’t feel like enough. Come on Nintendo don’t let me down!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is Mario + Rabbids good. It’s fifteen bucks

Get it and let Luigi snipe rabbid scum.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

It would be cool if Nintendo uses the 35th Anniversary of Mario period to announce a Super Mario Odyssey 2. That’s probably my most desired Switch game at this point, I did everything there is to do in Odyssey and it still didn’t feel like enough. Come on Nintendo don’t let me down!

My dream sequel is Super Mario Ocean Odyssey.

The hat ship turns into an actual ship and you go around a bunch of island worlds. Same capture mechanic and collectathon gameplay as Odyssey. 12-15 island kingdoms including Delfino Isle and DK Isle as bonus worlds after the main story.

You could turn almost any level archetype into an island, for example a fire/lava world could be a Hawaiian themed volcanic island. A dense jungle island. Atlantis style ruins. You’d also up the number of underwater levels from Odyssey, with all sorts of settings from bright coral reefs to deep spooky trenches. The ghost level would be a floating graveyard of ghost ships. You could have a big complicated cruise ship level with lots of decks and cabins, and a platforming-heavy engine room (think Rusty Bucket Bay from Banjo)

Make this game, Nintendo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
SUPER MARIO ODYSSEA

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
One of the kingdoms could be Metro Kingdom again but this time we’re visiting the kingdom’s port, a dense industrial level with tons of cranes and stuff around. Like fuckin Ricco Harbour on steroids

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd rather a SM3DW2. Open world marios are okay but inferior to platforming marios.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd rather a SM3DW2. Open world marios are okay but inferior to platforming marios.

Wow wrong and bad

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

KingSlime posted:

Also the fact that you already have maps, dungeons, the plot etc all developed doesn't help that much either. That stuff is usually worked on in tandem with programming, it's not like the engineers themselves have to design levels before they can start cranking out some code. It's not much of a head start.

Regardless of whether you're working from a clearly-defined blueprint or are just toying around, building anything in code is still going to take a lot of work. Kind of like assuming that an artist can crank out a painting 2x more quickly just because he has a reference picture (and the exact se sized canvas/brush types/general techniques the original artist used) versus working from his mind.

At least that's my understanding from my very basic experience with programming and web development. All I know is that I didn't go down career path because of how tedious and hard it is to build the smallest thing!!

There's also the fact that they'll have to make 6 game maps across the two games, discounting the dungeons. It's one thing to make a sprite world for a really small screen handheld. It's another to make a bunch of 3D models. Seasons could recolor some sprites and change up the look of some assets, but that's likely not going to fly nearly as easily with the LA Switch look.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
I've been playing Paradise Killer for a minute and it seems pretty cool.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think considering how big Nintendo’s library is, we can’t expect remakes of too many of them. It’s just gonna be uprezzed ports 90% of the time from here on out

I wouldn’t be surprised if Galaxy 2 being left out was a manpower and time issue

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Galaxy 2 will be the first DLC

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder if Galaxy 2 was left out because it doesn't have a hub world.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing it is one of 3 reasons:

1 - Because it is basically the same as SMG. Essentially, it is an expansions. SM64, SMS and SMG are all very different games. SMG2 sticks out as more of the same. Of course, this doesn't mean it can't be part of the collection, but it does make sense why it could have been left out.

2 - Covid. It's possible that the covid delays got in the way and they weren't going to be able to get it done in time. It already looks like this was delayed and the 2 week release window indicates they probably wanted more lead-up time. It would make sense to get SMG done first.

3 - They plan on releasing it later in an upgraded capacity.

If I had to bet, I'd say it was #1 with a smattering of #2 mixed in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Galaxy 2 being left out was a manpower and time issue

It's functionally an expansion to Super Mario Galaxy, almost certainly built with 90+% of the same underlying game code, so it really should've been easy to tack on SMG2 alongside the original with minimal extra effort.

Realistically I'd go with this;

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing it is one of 3 reasons:

1 - Because it is basically the same as SMG. Essentially, it is an expansions. SM64, SMS and SMG are all very different games. SMG2 sticks out as more of the same. Of course, this doesn't mean it can't be part of the collection, but it does make sense why it could have been left out.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

yeah, it'd be really awkward to have a sequel that's basically an expansion in a Mario All-Stars game

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's not included because all 242 stars from SMG2 have been integrated right into SMG1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The limited release Disney vault style model of Mario All Stars leads me to believe that they'll eventually just have Galaxy 2 it as a seperate paid digital game for sale at some point in the future. Why sell all your eggs right away to the audience most likely to buy it when you can hold some back for them to buy later?

Also figures, I'm playing with my kids through Mario 64 on the Wii U and we also completed Mario Galaxy and partly throught Mario galaxy 2. I love the idea of playing them without motion controls, since it's basically why I gave up on them 10+ years ago, though ironically now with a 4 year old I really dig the simple co op wiimote gameplay.

Only one I would like the pack for is Sunshine, though don't think I could stomach the full price since It'll never see a sale given its limited release, and it'd only be for convenience and the HDTV upres, given I still have my GameCube and an original copy of the game.