Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

I like the Microwars APC, myself. The pilot gimmick is fun.

Yeah, I have a couple other Microwars figures, but I didn't have any pilots until now so that was kinda nice.

Tragedy almost struck tonight when my husband decided to take out the garbage. He grabbed the box that all of these guys came in because he only saw the empty boxes on top, but I still had a few figures in there. Thankfully I caught it in time but drat, the one time he actually takes the trash out he almost trashes my Gundams too. :sigh:

Droyer posted:

That's when you hit her with the Macross.

Komilia Maria Fallyna (Sterling) Jenius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Cattro Bagina/Bajeena

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mihaly Dumitru Margareta Corneliu Leopold Blanca Karol Aeon Ignatius Raphael Maria Niketas A. Shilage

That's your new cat's name.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just ask to call it Super saiyan god super saiyan Goku, she will back down into allowing a Gundam name.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bees on Wheat posted:

Fancy that, I just got one of those too! Bluefin had a deal on little kits like that for the online expo so I figured why not? It's nine random kits for $35 which is way cheaper than I normally see these for. The Japanese grocery stores around here normally sell things like this for $10+ each, and the good ones are always sold out. :arghfist::saddowns:

The little guntank was obviously the best out of the whole lot. :colbert:

I did not even see this, whenever I would check the expo products I would look at P-Bandai only. Seems like a fun little set, I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday chasing older converge toys and saw some of those other brands as well.

I also may have spent $40+shipping for this thing...

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
What's wrong with a nice, normal name like Kaela? Kaela Mensha-Khaine >surname>.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The US P-Bandai store has some really nice stuff up right now. Stormbringer FA, RG Sword Impulse, GM Cannon, TR-1 [HAZE’N-THLEY RAH Ⅱ] and Try Age Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, I have a couple other Microwars figures, but I didn't have any pilots until now so that was kinda nice.

The nice thing about the APC is it's the only Micro-Wars vehicle with room for all the pilots it comes with. Two in the front seats, one in the turret.

The others mostly just have all but one of the pilot figures standing around outside if you didn't get Mobile Suits for them.

It's also the only vehicle released so far to have no named pilot figures. The others have Amuro, Banagher, Char, or Ramba Ral (Who is more heavyset than the other minifigs.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 3, 2020

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Zodack posted:

I did not even see this, whenever I would check the expo products I would look at P-Bandai only. Seems like a fun little set, I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday chasing older converge toys and saw some of those other brands as well.

To be fair, the Bluefin site didn't have a whole lot of sale items for the expo, and I think it was all figures as opposed to model kits. The shokugan set was probably the best deal they had, unless you really really wanted a metal build 00 Raiser or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Apropos of nothing, I had a thought about the hobby. When you try new things, you're gonna make mistakes. That's just a fact. But what's important is that you learn, you grow, and you move on. Some may look at a model that has gone horrifically wrong and say "that sucks so loving much dude". But me, when I see a model that had gone horrifically, unfixably wrong I say "Wow, whoever built this tried something new, which is admirable, and then never ever did it again, which shows great personal growth. Whoever made this terrible mistake must be a great guy!"

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Apropos of nothing, I had a thought about the hobby. When you try new things, you're gonna make mistakes. That's just a fact. But what's important is that you learn, you grow, and you move on. Some may look at a model that has gone horrifically wrong and say "that sucks so loving much dude". But me, when I see a model that had gone horrifically, unfixably wrong I say "Wow, whoever built this tried something new, which is admirable, and then never ever did it again, which shows great personal growth. Whoever made this terrible mistake must be a great guy!"

Yeah. I'm always hesitant to try new techniques because I don't want to mess something up, but I'm always grateful for what I learned. I made to mistake that everyone does when they first try weathering and way overdid it, but now I know better. Our 30MM group build gave me an opportunity to try using masking tape to make camo patterns. I'm not totally pleased with the result, but now I have ideas to try the next time I want to do it. Someday I'll build up the courage to carve out a mono-eye and replace it with an LED. Then do it better the second time.

That said, I love using the various Haro kits to try stuff on. They're cheap, and if you mess up, well, they're supposed to look kind of goofy anyway.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Not to brag on myself but I love this color scheme. Could have gone maybe a wee bit lighter on the gunmetal but I'm loving happy.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Nah that's sick, dark blues and greys are a great combo. Nice work!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Brag on yourself all you want, that looks great

Gripweed posted:

Also wanted to add on to this that this is the best mindset to have in the hobby. You're going to have to be bad at things before you can be good at things. That build I posted last page, I wasn't kidding when I said "don't zoom in on the ankles" because the lines are hot garbage. One of the things I like to do which is the flip of what is talked about here is when I see a knockout build on Instagram or twitter and think "that's amazing, one day I hope I can be that good" I'll zoom in real close and try to find mistakes. Not to tear the builder down but to remind myself that even the sharpest looking builds aren't perfect and that everyone has struggles and a process.

Local contests too, I would talk to the winners and ask about how they avoided certain pitfalls. A lot of them would simply go "dude it happens, you have to hide it" and they'd slightly articulate the model to show me how paint scratches and other things were hidden in the pose. It makes you feel more confident in your own ability being reminded that a lot of looking good really is optics.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 4, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vorenus posted:

Not to brag on myself but I love this color scheme. Could have gone maybe a wee bit lighter on the gunmetal but I'm loving happy.

That looks p excellent. I wonder how a gloss yellow would have looked to really pop over the metallics, but your scheme probably looks a lot better up close

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Here is my entry for the Grunt Suit Group Build. The Me-02R Messer [Test Type]

I learned a lot, and that's what matters.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That thing looks like the first and only time Anaheim Electronics subcontracted out to Willy Wonka

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gripweed posted:

Zubaz Gundam

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

oh that's terrible i love it

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

This owns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Those pictures really do not show horrifically uneven and lumpy that shoulder pad is.

It's easy to say in retrospect that of course glitter nail polish wouldn't work as model paint. But my god, what if it did? I had to know for sure.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Messer of Zur-En-Arrh.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Gripweed posted:

Those pictures really do not show horrifically uneven and lumpy that shoulder pad is.

It's easy to say in retrospect that of course glitter nail polish wouldn't work as model paint. But my god, what if it did? I had to know for sure.

Thank you for your sacrifice. I honestly think it looks awesome!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks so much guys. But I warn you that all this praise will only make my next Group Build entries worse.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Vorenus posted:

Gripweed posted:

These are both beautiful and I am insanely jealous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

"Which camo scheme do you want on your machine?"

"Yes"

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I know you worked a lot on the "camo" but I think it's the fact that the gold is the exact right shade for lovely gold plastic that makes it for me

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So, uh, I went to the store just planning on getting the RG Sazabi.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a new Diaclone! https://imgur.com/a/TPEQT9p

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gripweed posted:

Every single part of this is amazing but the denim arm is significantly underrated

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat this RG Z'Gok kicks so much rear end, I love it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah, it's a really solid kit.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Something about amphibious mobile suits makes them just fantastic kits. I'm still chasing the high from building my Acguy

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Me, preparing to make the hoses for my Mg Zaku 2.0: Okay, slide the rings from one side to the other and cap. Seems simple.

Me, after completing one hose: ow my fingers

Also, I did not know that the Zaku II had a floating cockpit. And...is it just me or is the plastic generally higher quality on MGs vs RGs? Just came from the RG Sazabi and that kinda strikes me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Unlucky7 posted:

Me, preparing to make the hoses for my Mg Zaku 2.0: Okay, slide the rings from one side to the other and cap. Seems simple.

I am not looking forward to painting those. They're primed, I just have to go in there and get it done.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just Dan Again posted:

Something about amphibious mobile suits makes them just fantastic kits. I'm still chasing the high from building my Acguy

A vague idea I've been kicking around in my head for awhile, if I wanted to waste a ton of money on something very dumb, is getting like five Acguy kits just to build one Acguy with extremely long arms.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

A vague idea I've been kicking around in my head for awhile, if I wanted to waste a ton of money on something very dumb, is getting like five Acguy kits just to build one Acguy with extremely long arms.

I just want Bandai to make kits of all the weird Acguy variants from the second season of Thunderbolt. Gimme that Acguy with the periscope hat!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Decided the little pilots deserved to be on the base as well. I cannot reiterate how much fun the RG Zgok is to play around with, it can even do handstands.

RG Sazabi next!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I did not know that the Zaku II had a floating cockpit. And...is it just me or is the plastic generally higher quality on MGs vs RGs? Just came from the RG Sazabi and that kinda strikes me.

AFAIK the cockpit thing is like that because the original gundam anime was inconsistent about where the cockpit was, so the model made it movable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I love little nods to anime accuracy like that. The new anime-style HG Char's Zaku II has optional rubberized skirt armor and funky joints so it can pull off all the weird bendy poses. :allears: