Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Honelander feels weaker this season, they all do. I'm not getting the feeling of power from the characters, that they're superhuman.

Homelander got hit by a 16 wheeler and all it did was make him late to the supe murder spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Terror Sweat posted:

Honelander feels weaker this season, they all do. I'm not getting the feeling of power from the characters, that they're superhuman.

No one has taken a .50 cal to the chest just yet but I think they've shown how all the different supes can be pretty threatening in their own way.

Stormfront is the obvious standout but Kimiko's brother being able to temporarily incapacitate Homelander was pretty impressive as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just burned through all 3 eps, it’s good to be back.

I really like how hard they are trying to make Homelander sympathetic. Really doing their best to paint a complete picture of them as a deeply hosed up and flawed monster that is constantly waffling between being completely in control and having the floor taken out from beneath him.

Boy is an excellent character.

Stormfront made me legitimately uncomfortable in ep 3. Something about the sheer revulsion on her face as she murders that black man and his two teenage children in cold blood made me truly sick to my stomach. I really hope this is like the one scene they use to really establish how racist she is and the entire season isn’t just her torturing PoC just to hear their screams. I understand her character and thought she was very well acted but that scene was extremely difficult to watch. I wonder if she’ll try to murder A-Train?

Black Noir is cool.

The Deep’s sequence with Patton Oswalt is one of the absolute craziest scenes of television I’ve ever watched. It’s kinda cool they gave him a moment of being a badass but right when I thought he was gonna turn it around he just started talking like a cultist. It’s weird because the conclusions he comes to regarding his behavior is all correct and a great place to start to heal, but then he goes... off the deep end

The Boys themselves are great, I feel like everyone is acting and emoting at a much higher level this time around.

Esposito is a boss

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Definitely some excellent emoting, the body language from everybody is incredible in these episodes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I really like how hard they are trying to make Homelander sympathetic. Really doing their best to paint a complete picture of them as a deeply hosed up and flawed monster that is constantly waffling between being completely in control and having the floor taken out from beneath him.

I dunno about sympathetic because he seems more psycho than ever, but him being thrown off his game repeatedly is fun.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Henker posted:

So Stormfront is an actual literal Nazi right? With the references to Operation Paperclip and the random mentioning of an old superhero (Liberty), I'm guessing she joined up with the US after WWII under an alias.

Oh I must have missed that. Can you say in what ep and time the Operation reference is? Thank you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

The Deep’s sequence with Patton Oswalt is one of the absolute craziest scenes of television I’ve ever watched.

People keep mentioning Patton Oswalt's scene, but I have no idea what he looks like so I don't know which one it was.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

thehandtruck posted:

Oh I must have missed that. Can you say in what ep and time the Operation reference is? Thank you

Episode 1 where Mr. Edgar tells Homelander about Vought. Although old Vought seemed to be have no problem making supersoldiers to the US to fight Hitler which would make him more an amoral scientist wanting to play God then a Nazi. He switched sides as soon as his experiments came under threat.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 5, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

People keep mentioning Patton Oswalt's scene, but I have no idea what he looks like so I don't know which one it was.

He voices The Deep's gills

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Love the fact that they made Stormfront be the superhero from Portland given her dual nature: on the surface she's too cool for school, on the inside she is actually a hosed up (neo?)Nazi.

I think it's a good catch on whoever noticed the callback to Liberty in one of the episodes - she probably is Stormfront without dyed hairs, brought over to the allies when Vought defected. Was this brought up by the CIA deputy director before her untimely death?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Someone mentioned that the Baby from season 1 was alive. what episode was that?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Part of the news reports we see, I think in episode 1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus gently caress this show is so good.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

No one has taken a .50 cal to the chest just yet but I think they've shown how all the different supes can be pretty threatening in their own way.

Stormfront is the obvious standout but Kimiko's brother being able to temporarily incapacitate Homelander was pretty impressive as well.

Wait a second. Didn't Butcher shoot Starlight/Annie in the chest with a .50 cal in episode 7, season 1?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It was probably not a .50 cal rifle, that would've knocked Butcher on his rear end from the recoil each time he fired.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So they definitely set up Liberty being a secret Nazi plant from WWII pretty hard. Compound V was Nazi Science that the US snuck out of Germany before winning the war. The writers of the show wouldn’t introduce that plot element in the same episode as a Neo-Nazi supe and not tie them together, especially when she so blatantly asks about it. Her constant use of Social Media paints her as extremely online, I wonder if she’ll be dropping memes?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quantumfoam posted:

Wait a second. Didn't Butcher shoot Starlight/Annie in the chest with a .50 cal in episode 7, season 1?

Yea he did.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It was probably not a .50 cal rifle, that would've knocked Butcher on his rear end from the recoil each time he fired.

It was a Serbu BFG-50A, which is .50 cal. He uses it to try and kill Translucent too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 5, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I don't think Stormfront is Liberty. Stormfront is way too modern and flippant for someone at least 80 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if SF is a daughter or granddaughter of Liberty though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea he did.

It was a Serbu BFG-50A, which is .50 cal. He uses it to try and kill Translucent too.
Ok, fair.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The CIA lady who gets her head exploded was an incredible scene that well and truly freaked me out. That scene also looked so fun to act with. It must have been neat to be back together after the first season and just get back in a van with your buds, covered in gore, and just scream your heads off.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

quantumfoam posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I don't think Stormfront is Liberty. Stormfront is way too modern and flippant for someone at least 80 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if SF is a daughter or granddaughter of Liberty though.
Ok, fair.

I'd bet the same - she's Liberty's descendent, raised in a "normal" (racist) family and yet came out just as hosed up as Homelander.

Would that stop HL from killing her though? Doubtful. She'd just be a reminder of what he was denied and the inherent corruption of what he sees as his (manufactured) godhood.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's a bit weird that I know Karen Fukuhara only from her voice acting in She-Ra, while she's mute here. So those are completely separated skill sets. And those characters are quite distinct. I guess I randomly read her name in both credits and wanted to know why I knew that name. Either way, she's doing a really good job.

Wait, had to look this up, she's loving Glimmer?! God drat she's ace.

She was also Katana in Suicide Squad, which I can't draw any conclusions from because she's not actually in the movie.

This cast is so good.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mat Cauthon posted:

Would that stop HL from killing her though? Doubtful. She'd just be a reminder of what he was denied and the inherent corruption of what he sees as his (manufactured) godhood.
At the moment Homelander seems a mix of annoyed and amused with Stormfront. He casually intimidates everyone else (including the Seven*) because he enjoys people being terrified of him, but when someone isn't afraid of him, he's a bit off-balance.

However I figure by the end of the season Homelander is going to finally go off the deep end and might kill SF and other supes.

*Not you, Black Noir, you've been great

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

This feels hyper critical but I feel like S1 Homelander wouldn’t have tolerated Starlight wasting so much time killing Hughie, especially when he knows what he’s responsible for, together with the fact that he doesn’t really need her buy in to the team at all when he’s straight up threatened her anyway.

We’ve had three episodes so far and Homelander’s eyes haven’t gone red once, much less actually lasered someone. He definitely feels conspicuously emasculated this season. I guess that’s necessary though for the sake of the show having somewhere to go with him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fukuhara did not really get much to do in Season 1, and then went from like 0 to 100 when Kenji showed up. All of a sudden, just so loving good. The guy playing Kenji was great as well. Those two really crushed what was kinda meh material.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

I'd bet the same - she's Liberty's descendent, raised in a "normal" (racist) family and yet came out just as hosed up as Homelander.

There is one reason to believe that Stormfront may be Liberty. The supes aren't military, but her outfit has US flags on the arms in the position and orientation that you'd find them on an Army uniform.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Durzel posted:

We’ve had three episodes so far and Homelander’s eyes haven’t gone red once, much less actually lasered someone. He definitely feels conspicuously emasculated this season. I guess that’s necessary though for the sake of the show having somewhere to go with him.

Did you miss the frozen milk scene?

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018

SpaceCommie posted:

She was also Katana in Suicide Squad, which I can't draw any conclusions from because she's not actually in the movie.

This cast is so good.

She’s also Kipo in Age of the Wonderbeasts

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpaceCommie posted:

This cast is so good.

I just made the Katana connection yesterday, good to see she landed on her feet after that turd role.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Durzel posted:

This feels hyper critical but I feel like S1 Homelander wouldn’t have tolerated Starlight wasting so much time killing Hughie, especially when he knows what he’s responsible for, together with the fact that he doesn’t really need her buy in to the team at all when he’s straight up threatened her anyway.

Disagree. Homelander absolutely loves making people scared and uncomfortable. He will drag out any interaction as long as possible if he thinks it is unnerving someone. That’s what power is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Homelander was grandstanding through that whole fight. he could have lasered any of them to death at any time. he's too used to playing with his food

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Did I miss something that explains Stormfront's promotion given her social media bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Edgar had a secret reason that will be revealed later or whatever, but it seems odd that no one is questioning why they're doing all this myth-making PR if management is just going to promote someone whose primary shtick is tearing all that down. Like, what's Starlight or Homelander or anyone's subjective understanding of why Vought would work at cross-purposes with itself like that, whatever the hidden plot reasons might end up being?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I assumed she's a Portland Nazi. You may have seen them in the news.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did I miss something that explains Stormfront's promotion given her social media bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Edgar had a secret reason that will be revealed later or whatever, but it seems odd that no one is questioning why they're doing all this myth-making PR if management is just going to promote someone whose primary shtick is tearing all that down. Like, what's Starlight or Homelander or anyone's subjective understanding of why Vought would work at cross-purposes with itself like that, whatever the hidden plot reasons might end up being?

Vought is a Nazi Corp run by Nazi scientists.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Homelander was dragging out Starlight killing Hughie because he didn't realise that The Boys were nearby and there was a time limit. He was genuinely going force Starlight to kill Hughie, and you can see that she is going to do it too with the tacit nod from Hughie in the last shot of him. It was a powerful moment between Hughie and Starlight that they'll probably touch on next ep. Homelander is exactly the type to want to punish Starlight and ensure her loyalty (he's really leaning into the family angle at this point) in this twisted way.

It gave me the same vibe as the Butcher/Stillwell/Homelander confrontation in an almost perfectly flipped manner

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The unending corporate hellscape these super powered people exist in is the scariest thing about this show.

Black Noir crying alone in the hallway is probably my favorite moment so far. He's obviously a total company guy who probably honestly believea in the Vought mission statement and the revelation that it's been a lie from the start crushed him. I wonder if he will make a turn at an important moment because of this, or if he will continue to exist mostly as a background player. I am aware of his character from the comics, I wonder if/how much of that they'll use, I kinda hope not any but we'll see.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Vought is a Nazi Corp run by Nazi scientists.

Sure, but that's presumably a secret, so it doesn't explain what people who don't know that think is going on. I'm trying to think through why nobody seems surprised that Mr. Edgar would promote Stormfront, given they aren't in on the secret. Homelander is pissed off he wasn't consulted, but he doesn't point out that she's actively undermining the company. Starlight is jealous that Stormfront gets to criticize the company publicly, but doesn't seem to question why she was promoted despite doing so. There seems to be a blindspot where nobody notices or comments on her obvious unsuitability as a member of the Seven given Vought's obsession with PR, so I was curious if I missed them being provided with an explanation of what's going on that would mollify them. I'm not asking about the actual plot reasons Mr. Edgar would put up with it. Not saying the show has to address it, but binging three episodes I could have easily missed it if it did.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This bothered me:

how did he not know the Boys were in the tunnels but Homelander could eavesdrop on a convo from miles away? And it was established in S1 that Homelander can see through things/super hearing

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IRC doesn't Stormfront say her aunt or grandma was a big fan of homelander? Could she be talking about Liberty?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Durzel posted:

We’ve had three episodes so far and Homelander’s eyes haven’t gone red once, much less actually lasered someone. He definitely feels conspicuously emasculated this season. I guess that’s necessary though for the sake of the show having somewhere to go with him.[/spoiler]

he exploded a dude's ears!

there' is definitely a motif about how he really did need protection, and since he killed Stillwell there really is nobody to protect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phi230 posted:

This bothered me:

how did he not know the Boys were in the tunnels but Homelander could eavesdrop on a convo from miles away? And it was established in S1 that Homelander can see through things/super hearing

I'm assuming homelander has to be paying attention, he still has to filter through all the other noise.

Like how he was caught off-guard when he was drinking milk because he just wasn't paying attention.