Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a place to swap save files so you can see other people's cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a place to swap save files so you can see other people's cities?

Workshop can host save files.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lots of fuckin’ luck actually loading one though, have fun figuring out which 72 mods/assets out of the 688 on the OP’s list don’t match any of the 915 on yours.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lots of fuckin’ luck actually loading one though, have fun figuring out which 72 mods/assets out of the 688 on the OP’s list don’t match any of the 915 on yours.

I love Loading Screen Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667342976

It has a report function (might need to be enabled in options) that throws some nice HTML files together (at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Report\LoadingScreenMod) that enables you to find any missing Steam Assets

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of mods, Traffic Manager Presidente breaks my saves. Is there a more up-to-date version that works?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of mods, Traffic Manager Presidente breaks my saves. Is there a more up-to-date version that works?

I'm using this one and haven't noticed anything bad: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1637663252

Make sure no other TM:PE versions are installed/subbed

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh hey it worked. Now, is there a way to stop vehicles from making unprotected left turns?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh hey it worked. Now, is there a way to stop vehicles from making unprotected left turns?

Sorta? Depends on the intersection; you can turn off left turns entirely or customize a traffic light to have specific left-turn cycles.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm screwing something up with my city. I keep hitting like 2500 people and a mass exodus immediately begins. I'm not sure if I'm not monitoring certain things enough or what....how often should I be placing like med clinics and schools?

Also how important is happiness? Maybe I need to be placing more random parks and stuff...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've noticed that if you have too many services to handle the dead you start a feedback loop that keeps intensifying like a microphone feeding into a speaker. It oscillates more and more until basically your entire city dies at the same time and everyone is basically the same age. I'm assuming you are having a similar issue, but maybe not death related?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I'm screwing something up with my city. I keep hitting like 2500 people and a mass exodus immediately begins. I'm not sure if I'm not monitoring certain things enough or what....how often should I be placing like med clinics and schools?

Also how important is happiness? Maybe I need to be placing more random parks and stuff...

Is it an exodus, or a lot of deaths? The death waves are caused by placing a lot of residential at the same time. When they move in they’re the same age, and they all die simultaneously which overwhelms your healthcare system (that’s what I’ve been told, at least. Anecdotally it seems to fix the problem.)

If people are moving away, maybe they can’t find appropriate jobs? The jobs they need will vary depending on their education level.

Happiness is a big part of making houses upgrade, upgraded houses increase your income from tax.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Waroduce posted:

....how often should I be placing like med clinics and schools?

Others have commented on your other questions, but for services like medical/fire/police, you want to make sure an area is covered (the covered roads will be green). For schools, the same applies, but you also want to look at how many citizens are eligible vs. how many spots you have open.

Sometimes this can get lopsided when you have a school in one location with empty spots, but a ton of eligible citizens in another location. If there's no public transport to the school, all of the students traveling can increase traffic, which can then interfere with other services getting to where they're needed. So even if you have enough places for students, it's a good idea to make sure schools are distributed across your residential areas.

It's similar to the death wave phenomenon described above. In addition to all of the deaths overwhelming deathcare, if you try to compensate by placing more cemeteries/crematoriums, you can clog traffic, preventing ambulances from getting to where they're needed, leading to more deaths and making the situation worse.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 24, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hot take, deathcare is a dumb mechanic and you should use the mod that disables it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It is morbidly entertaining to watch ambulances rush in and out as fast as they can spawn when you put industry just a little too close to a pumping station. I had no idea what was happening the first time I saw it. The little sick icon with the glass of water next to it isn't the best iconography I've seen when it's barely distinguishable from the regular sick icon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably like deathcare more if cemetaries processed corpses slowly, and faster the fuller they were, rather than just storing them indefinitely, because that's how it literally works in a lot of places with very high population density.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ZoeDomingo posted:

Others have commented on your other questions, but for services like medical/fire/police, you want to make sure an area is covered (the covered roads will be green). For schools, the same applies, but you also want to look at how many citizens are eligible vs. how many spots you have open.

Sometimes this can get lopsided when you have a school in one location with empty spots, but a ton of eligible citizens in another location. If there's no public transport to the school, all of the students traveling can increase traffic, which can then interfere with other services getting to where they're needed. So even if you have enough places for students, it's a good idea to make sure schools are distributed across your residential areas.

It's similar to the death wave phenomenon described above. In addition to all of the deaths overwhelming deathcare, if you try to compensate by placing more cemeteries/crematoriums, you can clog traffic, preventing ambulances from getting to where they're needed, leading to more deaths and making the situation worse.

:actually: the green color on the roads is the radius of the happiness boost from the service. Service vehicles will dispatch across the map; the game mostly randomly picks which service building will send a vehicle to a fire/sickie/corpse/crime.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 24, 2020

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

um excuse me posted:

It is morbidly entertaining to watch ambulances rush in and out as fast as they can spawn when you put industry just a little too close to a pumping station. I had no idea what was happening the first time I saw it. The little sick icon with the glass of water next to it isn't the best iconography I've seen when it's barely distinguishable from the regular sick icon.

eh can you explain this mechanic a little for me? Is one related to like pollution? the other is just normal, not enough med clinics everyone is sick?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If your pollution map shows pollution anywhere water is pumped from or treated (I have the large clarifier mod) it'll poison anyone that circuit services. Hundreds of people will start getting sick, quickly overwhelming healthcare. Since I haven't played with money in a long time, I just slap half a dozen hospitals down and watch them go for a while. It's a great way to monitor where choke points in your road layout are since ambulance lane selection behaves a little more like real life than vanilla traffic does.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Goddamn cims disrespecting my bus lanes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Better days! This was from all the way back in 2016.

The traffic toilet!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made a city

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 24, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That's a good city

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

:actually: the green color on the roads is the radius of the happiness boost from the service. Service vehicles will dispatch across the map; the game mostly randomly picks which service building will send a vehicle to a fire/sickie/corpse/crime.

I'm not sure what you're correcting me on. Yes, the green on the road indicates the radius of happiness, but since Waroduce asked how often they should be placing services, using that green color on the roads is as good an indicator as any for where services could be placed for the best result. And buildings that attract people (commercial, museums, parks, schools) or dispatch vehicles (industry, police, fire, deathcare), increase traffic, which can interfere with services getting to where they're going. Spreading services out, along with providing public transportation to schools and other attractions, can help disperse traffic.

That's why placing all of the garbage incinerators/dumps/recycling centers in one location can lead to problems with garbage handling; the trucks all try to go out at the same time and congest the roads.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like to build dedicated service parks for every 2-3 new neighbourhoods with a little industrial, garbage, sewage, and sometimes electrical generation. They provide natural spots for cargo terminals as well in commercial heavy areas. Any time you need to plop something dirty you can always bulldoze some industry or light commercial in the service park and no one will miss it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ZONES OF INTEREST

The city itself. The old metro core can be identified by the illuminated windmills along its edge to the right of the image. That was the first highway exit. The community of Little Norilsk opposite on the tracks is still the main industrial area for the city. To the left of Little Norilsk is the airport. Between the airport and the old metro core you can spot the college campus and its illuminated stadium. The most populous part of the city is the plain between the hill and the river, which is now densely packed with residential and office towers. Off to the left is the harbor and tech boomtown that have rapidly sprawled into each other.

The Harborside district is a capitalist's playground. Leisure, tourism, and high-tech collide. (Seriously, I can't build enough high-tech office specialization.) Bedroom communities further up the slope have become incredibly dense practically overnight.

The tech companies have an industrial park just across the rail line, complete with cargo terminal and R&D campus. (The electric car factory is ludicrously small, I'll have to get a real car factory mod.)

The district was originally built around a rocket launch site and a rail link to the harbor, but quickly exploded when I decided to add some high tech office space and tourism and demand snowballed from there. I provided the district with a lot of emergency shelters just in case there's rocket disasters...

There's a big hill between the highway and the river. In order for the city to expand without choking to death on trucking, I needed to get road access into this area. Eventually I decided to dig a highway tunnel under the hill at great expense. This oblongabout is its outlet.

This tunnel allowed the city to sprawl out onto the plain between the hill and the river. (I later was able to buy more land to the right and build the highway link on the right. It wasn't available at the time.) This is the center of gravity of the city now. There's still a lot of space to fill in though.

Those blank spots provide spaces for projects like the Glade Street enclave. Second to the river-front mansions, this is the most expensive real-estate in the city.

But you guys don't care about any of this probably. Here's what you want to see:

Sunken cloverleaf leading into the metro core.

A hideous stoplight diverging diamond.

Split-level diverging diamond eliminates stoplights, but has to spider all over the place to accommodate rail lines and connecting roads that were there before the interchange upgrade.

This is the other end of the highway tunnel. It comes out between the campus and the airport.

I use a lot of fused grids in the city. Pedestrians can easily move from one neighborhood to another but trucks have to use major arteries. I wish I could create covered walkways between mass transit nodes because they get used so heavily.

The most congested industrial traffic node.

The most congested residential/commercial traffic node.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 25, 2020

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Got into this with the last Steam Summer Sale and have been toying with it off and on, basically building/screwing up multiple cities. While I imagine my cims aren't enjoying the learning experience it has taught me some interesting things, but I did have a few questions:

1. I keep having issues with trash pickup where for some random reason certain buildings seem to never stop having too much trash even if I drop a trash site/recycling plant/etc. right near them. Any tricks to make sure I'm getting even pickups across the city?

2. I keep having issues with getting students for my university (Campus DLC). I try to crank up the attractiveness where affordable to draw them in and make sure there's plenty of public transportation to the place, but it seems almost random whether I get people or lose them each year. Anything I should be focusing on?

3. Is there any trick to avoiding the dreaded "slope too steep" crap when building? Seems like I spend eons with the drat landscaping tool trying to get a surface the game will finally decide to let me build there, I'd appreciate a way that doesn't involve RSI for my fingers holding down the mouse button(s) for ages to deal with the problem.

4. Traffic is I suspect from previous city-builder game experiences going to be a Thing I need to learn to deal with better, any tricks? In particular, any special ideas for mass transit systems? I try for a little redundancy in ways to reach important locations, is that a good or bad idea?

5. I'm using the Industry DLC stuff; any tips on ratios of gatherers to processors to factories? I understand from recent videos I watched I need to ensure more storage warehouses to make sure each step doesn't have to need the stuff from the previous one right then as it's produced, but are there any other things to keep in mind?

6. Are there any must-have mods people recommend? I got Extended Game Options since it seemed to have the most tweaks (including achievements even with mods and unlocking everything/boosting start cash so I don't have to play Baby's First City every time I start a new one), One-Way Street Arrows so I can see which direction my roads face at any time which prevents a lot of swapping road directions thanks to little construction boo-boos, and CSL Music Mod and some song lists so I didn't go insane listening to the same songs all the time, but anything else people suggest, either specifics or categories of mods to consider?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Re 6: that all depends on what kind of game you want to end up with. Bonsai for nerds?

For example, a cool dude is adding stuff to his Node Controller mod right now so that we can have sloped nodes and superelevation on roads.

Do you want to spend an inordinate amount of time on how your roads look so you can get something like this?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
For public transport, the key thing is to have high-capacity transport going to key areas. So a Metro to go from high-density residential to industrial is a good one. Similarly, if you've got an area with loads of tourist stuff, whack a Metro down and try to get a train station as well (with 'allow Intercity Trains' selected).
Also, don't forget about walking paths. Cims will walk a loooong way if it's easy for them to do it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arglebargle III posted:

I like to build dedicated service parks for every 2-3 new neighbourhoods with a little industrial, garbage, sewage, and sometimes electrical generation. They provide natural spots for cargo terminals as well in commercial heavy areas. Any time you need to plop something dirty you can always bulldoze some industry or light commercial in the service park and no one will miss it.

I do the same thing. There's usually some service hell area that's got all the police, firefighters, deathcare, trash, etc. Direct connections to every area tends to keep them out of the bulk of traffic.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

MadDogMike posted:

Got into this with the last Steam Summer Sale and have been toying with it off and on, basically building/screwing up multiple cities. While I imagine my cims aren't enjoying the learning experience it has taught me some interesting things, but I did have a few questions:
2. I keep having issues with getting students for my university (Campus DLC). I try to crank up the attractiveness where affordable to draw them in and make sure there's plenty of public transportation to the place, but it seems almost random whether I get people or lose them each year. Anything I should be focusing on?
There's a policy that you can apply (Prefer Education) that makes students absolutely flood in. You can set it citywide or just for specific neighbourhoods.

quote:

3. Is there any trick to avoiding the dreaded "slope too steep" crap when building? Seems like I spend eons with the drat landscaping tool trying to get a surface the game will finally decide to let me build there, I'd appreciate a way that doesn't involve RSI for my fingers holding down the mouse button(s) for ages to deal with the problem.
Use the terrain view mode to see more accurately what the level of everything is. Failing that, try one of the maps that are flatter in the workshop or in the base game.

quote:

4. Traffic is I suspect from previous city-builder game experiences going to be a Thing I need to learn to deal with better, any tricks? In particular, any special ideas for mass transit systems? I try for a little redundancy in ways to reach important locations, is that a good or bad idea?
There's an info view on the left panel which lets you adjust intersections. Make sure you go up and down your main roads and ensure that everywhere a small road intersects a main is set to stop signs on the small road, and no signals on the main avenue.

I try to have a short distance transit mode (bus or tram) and a long distance one (train or metro) in each city. Maybe situational use of cable cars or ferries or helicopters. You're better off having a more thorough network than using like 7 different modes.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Does this have a mod for cities on Mars or Venus or anything futuristic? Alternately any fantasy mods?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I think there's a Mars map on the workshop. I don't know about a mod.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I know Ive seen at least one Mars maps out there with an associated color correction thing to make the sky appear orange, etc

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I know Ive seen at least one Mars maps out there with an associated color correction thing to make the sky appear orange, etc

That'd be citywokcitywall's work. Most of the mods and assets are focused around modern cities instead of sci-fi or fantasy, though you can - with effort - find assets suited for either and use mods to do things like ban all cars in your pre-combustion fantasy setting, then replace all trains with horse-drawn carriages, and so on and so forth.

The base game makes a lot of assumptions that make it very difficult to build things that aren't modern-day cities on Earth or Earth-like planets.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I have a problem.

Y'all,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's this kind of intersection called?

I made one but I couldn't get the roads to line up all pretty. You can't see the really heavy road this is intersecting because it's in a tunnel bypassing the intersection just like the tunnel entrance at the north side of the intersection in the satellite image.

They are really common in China. (It's also not unheard of to find cars parked in the intersection.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 5, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So is it like?

Because I find myself wondering what the yellow bits are for if so. Topologically it's like a sort of... half cloverleaf I guess without the atual leaves or the ability to turn left? unless the center is just a complete free for all. Which would explain what the yellow bits are for.

I call it "horrible" whatever it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Way to hurt the feelings of the Chinese people, dumbass! :mad:

You need the yellow part so that surface traffic can go straight or turn left. Not all through traffic is going to take one of the bypasses. For example, motor scooters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess the other way to look at it then would be a regular junction with sliproads and also straight on sliproads, which is a little less harrowing to imagine driving through.

Britbrain still wishes it was a roundabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's like a partially flattened stack, I think? Everyone's left turn flyovers have been put into the same plane.