Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

It's misleading if the overall visuals do somewhat suffer, per et's post

Do they though? General consensus is that DLSS actually improves on native resolution on the whole, even in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

AirRaid posted:

You guys trying to preorder Zotac cards are aware this is the same company that sold 980Ti cards with coolers that didn’t contact the die, right? If they were the only thing in stock and everything else had weeks of lead time I would wait.

Taima posted:

Besides I have a Zotac 1070 that I gave to a friend that's still going strong. I don't particularly care what they were up to over 5 years ago.

I'm giving decent odds of the preorders standing. If they don't, meh. If they do, rad. I'm sure they're fine cards.

Alchenar posted:

Well, after 4 years and with a month left to go until the 3000 series launch, my 1080 decides to catch fire and die in my case.

Don't buy ZOTAC I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Do they though? General consensus is that DLSS actually improves on native resolution on the whole, even in motion

That's what I'd like to know.

And I'm asking from a technical perspective. In practice, it seems dumb not to use because of the large performance boost.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

It's misleading if the overall visuals do somewhat suffer, per et's post

Specifically I was talking about upscaled DLSS, where the image is rendered at 75% resolution and then bumped up to 1440p. If however you wanted to simply set your rendering resolution to 1440p and let DLSS be your regular anti-aliasing mode, you could do that as well for no performance hit whatsoever, or even a slight gain. Functionally, DLSS in Control is no different to me from the same problems you'd find with MSAA, except with much bigger upsides in performance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Rinkles posted:

That's what I'd like to know.

And I'm asking from a technical perspective. In practice, it seems dumb not to use because of the large performance boost.

Knock yourself out, these are two good videos on the subject;

https://youtu.be/ggnvhFSrPGE

https://youtu.be/yG5NLl85pPo

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Has a time been given for the 3080 release? Is it midnight UTC or some random hour of the day?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cancelbot posted:

Has a time been given for the 3080 release? Is it midnight UTC or some random hour of the day?

Been seeing 2PM BST.

Nvidia rep seems to confirm it: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ilhao8/nvidia_rtx_30series_you_asked_we_answered/g4093n1/

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 5, 2020

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Specifically I was talking about upscaled DLSS, where the image is rendered at 75% resolution and then bumped up to 1440p. If however you wanted to simply set your rendering resolution to 1440p and let DLSS be your regular anti-aliasing mode, you could do that as well for no performance hit whatsoever, or even a slight gain. Functionally, DLSS in Control is no different to me from the same problems you'd find with MSAA, except with much bigger upsides in performance.

is it possible to use dlss without upscaling now

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I suspect they’ll get yelled at by NVIDIA for allowing preorders, and cancel them all. But if not and as long as they reprice, Zotac it may well be for this generation!

E: sadly, we won’t know if we need the last resort until it has shipped, likely

For what it's worth my zotac 1070 amp extreme never failed me. It's a 3 slot chunky boy that barely fits in my meshify c. Infact I think it's dimensions are slightly larger than the founders 3090. Zotac makes decent stuff they just have probably the worst customer service.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efo-YDWnnpw

doesn't look great...?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was convinced to go with them on the basis that the Strix was out of stock for the forseeable future (this was the release period). This time I'll wait.

e: and it's 4 years of heavy use. I'm sure I just got unlucky and you shouldn't pick companies based on anecdote. Everyone is going to suffer failures. The cards are all fundamentally the same, go to reviewers for advice on the cooling solution, and then buy EVGA because their customer support is the best.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 5, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

DLSS is absolutely not better image quality wise than native

it is better than native with TAA

because TAA is loving poo poo, like all post process AA

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it looks fine, but only a bit better than the non-RTX stuff we’ve seen before. They had clearly done a lot of work already on lighting design, so things like diffuse illumination aren’t going to be night-and-day.

It’s going to be interesting to see the first games that had usable RT in their high end settings target for the whole art direction and engine design cycle, instead of getting the capability added after they’ve done years of art/lighting/etc work and can’t redo it all.

The shadows look good, and nicely dynamic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mercrom posted:

is it possible to use dlss without upscaling now

It was always possible in Control, you just have to set it in the .ini.

The obvious caveat being that there's no significant performance advantage to doing this, you might get a couple extra frames but nothing very noticeable.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

exquisite tea posted:

I play Control at 1440p and I sincerely cannot tell the difference between DLSS upscaling from 960p and MSAA 4x, except that obviously MSAA is a huge performance hit when ray-tracing is enabled. DLSS isn't perfect of course, and the illusion starts to break when there's a lot of movement onscreen, but it's kinda magic!!

You say you can't tell the difference, and then go on to explain how it looks different. ?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i think the thing to understand with cyberpunk is that they're going for a witcher 3 scope open world with no loading screens, but with a first person perspective so the micro fidelity is way higher. the thing is rivalling the fidelity of the last deus ex game's areas but in an open world scenario, which is incredibly impressive. i'm not sure how they're going to get it running on the base xbox one though.

the rt features were probably added quite late in development so i don't expect them to be showstoppers, but we'll see

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Qmass posted:

taa's pretty great if it's implemented right e.g. in the new doom games. even aside from it being much harder to do MSAA on modern renderers, it also gets rid of specular aliasing that MSAA can't catch. you get a much more stable image from TAA than most anything else

everyone should just watch digital foundry's videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrA4Nxd8Vo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

You say you can't tell the difference, and then go on to explain how it looks different. ?

I am explaining how under most circumstances, the experience of playing with DLSS 2.0 in Control is like getting free AA for nothing. It's not perfect, but no AA solutions are, unless you have some kind of fantasy machine that can supersample the game at 8k.

What's your objective here even, to make me say DLSS 2.0 isn't good? It's good! I hope it becomes a feature in every game!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I do wonder if there's going to be pressure on reviewers to run two sets of numbers, one with DLSS and one without, just to try and make things more "fair" to AMD, with the rationalization that "it's just not the same as native"

especially since it's a fairly safe bet that a DLSS-on-1080p-to-4k benchmark result is always going to have a better FPS statistic than native-4k

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Qmass posted:

post-process anti-aliasing is the only form of anti-aliasing you get in most modern games, so "native" is pretty much synonymous with "native + taa"

unless you're advocating for disabling anti-aliasing completely and living with the shimmer

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I am explaining how under most circumstances, the experience of playing with DLSS 2.0 in Control is like getting free AA for nothing. It's not perfect, but no AA solutions are, unless you have some kind of fantasy machine that can supersample the game at 8k.

What's your objective here even, to make me say DLSS 2.0 isn't good? It's good! I hope it becomes a feature in every game!

And it feels like we're now in a world where all the low hanging fruit on getting performance out of IPC is gone and the future is going to be NVIDIA and AMD coming up with tricks to run processes like this in parallel. This is just how we live now.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

repiv posted:

unless you're advocating for disabling anti-aliasing completely and living with the shimmer
There are a surprising number of people who seem to deny the necessity of anti-aliasing and just prefer to point sample everything. They're like flat earthers but for computer graphics.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really confused by the dissonance between the amount of marketing and effort going into the new FE design and NVIDIA saying gently caress you to secondary markets and opting not sell FE models here. Given the current situations with imports it'll make them impossible to get, and losing the direct NVIDIA dates sales option will inevitably lead to much looser pricing on partner cards.

Might have to resort to using a goon-forwarder lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Llamadeus posted:

There are a surprising number of people who seem to deny the necessity of anti-aliasing and just prefer to point sample everything. They're like flat earthers but for computer graphics.

This is probably a good time for me ask if there's some kind of guide to enabling anti-aliasing. I hardly ever turn any of it on, never mind understand what the different forms are, both because I'm used to running things at low settings and also because I rarely notice it even when I do.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Qmass posted:

Ok, you have brain worms my guy. Native by itself has aliasing and shimmer even at high resolutions. DLSS as an anti-aliasing solution is superior to TAA as well as SMAA, FXAA and even MSAA. Move the goalposts more

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rolling Scissors posted:

When people say this do they mean the future potential of DLSS is hard to beat? Because right now, the amount of games that support it, is frankly pathetic. And looking at the list of games that are coming out, it's not impressed either.

I mean that even if Big Navi can trade with Ampere blow for blow in raw power, would you buy that card that has one of the most important forward-looking technologies that is confirmed to be out on the most anticipated title this year? Or not?

Big Navi has to offer me two of the following for me to consider it if it cannot match DLSS

1) Significant RT performance over Ampere so that DLSS-like technology is not required or as necessary. Ampere's RT improvements over Turing for me was disappointing. The 2080Ti was reported to be struggling to hit 60fps at times on 1080p w/ DLSS and RT on. Lets say CDPR optimizes on the version that the Youtube Influencers played and the 3080 is indeed 1.5x-2x stronger. That means even with the 3080, I will only get around 60 FPS w/ RT and DLSS on with my 1440p monitor. I was hoping for more to be honest.

2) A similar level of raw power of a 3080 but is much quieter. I don't care about Ampere being a power hog if someone can get a cooling solution that isn't a jet engine. But if every 3080 is going to be loud as gently caress then that is a consideration for me.

3) A steep discount for similar raw power. Like if Big Navi comes out 100+ dollars USD cheaper than the 3080 I'll obviously think about it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

idk this image looks 1.2% worse with DLSS on, i think i'll sacrifice 50%+ fps for that, and also disregard the framerate increase whenever i talk about DLSS

i also have zero interest in discussing how beneficial this will be in running games that look great and run smooth at good framerates at non-halo tier equipment, particularly in thermally constrained chassis'

also im going to compare this to hairworx because its the only thing i can think of that relates (its a thing nvidia did that reduced performance across the board and had no hope of ever making games run better, since, aside from being made by nvidia, they share no similarities)

please disregard my history of budget conscious hopeful amd posting

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 5, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Statutory Ape posted:

idk this image looks 1.2% worse with DLSS on, i think i'll sacrifice 50%+ fps for that, and also disregard the framerate increase whenever i talk about DLSS

i also have zero interest in discussing how beneficial this will be in running games that look great and run smooth at good framerates at non-halo tier equipment, particularly in thermally constrained chassis'

also im going to compare this to hairworx because its the only thing i can think of that relates (its a thing nvidia did that reduced performance across the board and had no hope of ever making games run better, since, aside from being made by nvidia, they share no similarities)

please disregard my history of budget conscious hopeful amd posting

^a made up person?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

might replay RDR2 when i secure my 3080

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

shrike82 posted:

rumor that there's an NDA on reviews - FE until the 14th, AIB until the 17th

sounds like buying an AIB board on launch day is going to be a clusterfuck
ya it's embargo'ed until launch, mentioned this on the 3rd

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

review embargo is launch day and aib prices are going public within a few hours

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah review embargoes end on release day so it'll be a rush
here's a retailer confirming it if my posts aren't good enough:
https://twitter.com/ScanComputers/status/1301427383799623682

i wouldn't worry too much about aib reviews against launch, this isn't the first time it's happened. there'll be the usual quiet reports about certain brands forgetting to attach their cooler at all, bios problems, and then a few hours before launch articles will get accidentally published and scraped to here

the FE date is the important one imo, that'll get you the bulk of the performance information and you only need to look out for thermal/noise sections of aib reviews. not heard any conf on that side
another interesting part:
https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1301993263835086849

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Does this mean I can dedicate a GPU to a VM and it will read it as a regular GPU would be read? Could you make a second gaming station off of one PC this way?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

exquisite tea posted:

Uh, no, from everything I've seen, DLSS 2 looks friggin' awesome

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Would that SR-IOV stuff be functional? Doesn't it require driver coordination between the VMs, for memory allocation and what not?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya it's embargo'ed until launch, mentioned this on the 3rd

here's a retailer confirming it if my posts aren't good enough:
https://twitter.com/ScanComputers/status/1301427383799623682

i wouldn't worry too much about aib reviews against launch, this isn't the first time it's happened. there'll be the usual quiet reports about certain brands forgetting to attach their cooler at all, bios problems, and then a few hours before launch articles will get accidentally published and scraped to here

the FE date is the important one imo, that'll get you the bulk of the performance information and you only need to look out for thermal/noise sections of aib reviews. not heard any conf on that side
another interesting part:
https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1301993263835086849

Botters rejoice!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
There was recently a ue4 developer stream where they showed off how easy it is to get threw Nvidia branch with dlss. This is going to open up three number of potential indies that will be using it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What in the ...

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1302218432952188934

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're also supplying a tool for measuring end-to-end latency

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-reviewer-toolkit/

they've done this sort of thing before, e.g. when nvidia had better frame pacing they released FCAT to objectively prove it

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Nvidia killed the page so here's a google cache link.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidias article still loads for me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

repiv posted:

nvidias article still loads for me :shrug:
clearly the poster is japanese or australian