Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Started a few games and couldn't really get into it until I checked out India. Wow there are some seriously good provinces in southern India, I think one has like 6 or 7 spots for baronies, plus really high development in the earlier start. The cashflow is quite considerable compared to what I was working with in Europe.

Family drama: I had 3 daughters. One of them was murdered. I was convinced it was a newly conquered countess who hated me, so I had her murdered in retaliation. Then my wife got a dagger stuck in her. Convinced it was my new Duke who also hated me, so I had him whacked as well. Plot twist: it was my firstborn ambitious daughter who got caught red handed trying to murder my court physician.

Joke's on her thought. Got a new wife, who gave me four sons. Before she went on her murdery spree she stood to inheret a dukedom. Now she will inheret nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tetramin posted:

When going to war for a claim, how is it determined whether your ruler takes ownership of a county title, or if it just vassalizes the current owner? Is it based on the type of claim, like a de Jure claim vassalizes while a manufactured claim conquers?

Yes, a lot of it depends on the casus belli. The wiki is still in its infancy but offers a reasonable, if brief, rundown: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_belli

The four “regular” ones to look out for at the moment are: subjugation and forced vassalisation (makes someone your vassal), excommunication (disposes a rule — you get nothing, unless you're next in line), and push claim (the claimant gets the title; whether they become a vassal to you or not depends on your current status and relative ranks).

The main one that can yield some surprising results is the holy war CB, where what you get directly and what gets vassalised depends on the difference in faith between the attacker and defenders vassals, where what fully counts as a different faith — especially with the new religion system — can be a bit tricky to fully predict.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ive been stuck on the defending side of the crusade for england for fifty five loving years and i cant figure out how to get out of it. im the emperor of kanem borno and i went feudal part way through and havent developed enough to actually pay any kind of army that would be able to impact anything. the defending side has maxed out score from fighting and the attacking side has nearly maxed out score from occupations and its such a gross mess to try to interact with. at one point i occupied half of france and all of the papal state and it still wasnt enough to end the war

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Snooze Cruise posted:

God this is consuming my life

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

so welcome to realm divide, population: me

exhibit a

exhibit b

This mechanic confuses me, what is it and what is it doing?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh no...my koi pond....

oh god why

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The 867 African lady start is actually pretty fun to get into. It's not as hard as it looks at first glance. Your husband owns a realm of his own and will help you in wars, and you have easy targets around you to conquer. You get an early event asking you if you want to either teach your son your ways, or go full matriarchal (of course!) in which case the main challenge is just finding a way to pop out some daughters.

Once you get a hold of your husband's land somehow then the only looming challenge is Ghana to your west, everything to the east is just slowly conquering your way across.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The feeling when you walk in on one of your court guests totally naked and defiling one of your paintings. I of course sent the wench straight to the dungeon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

bewilderment posted:

The 867 African lady start is actually pretty fun to get into. It's not as hard as it looks at first glance. Your husband owns a realm of his own and will help you in wars, and you have easy targets around you to conquer. You get an early event asking you if you want to either teach your son your ways, or go full matriarchal (of course!) in which case the main challenge is just finding a way to pop out some daughters.

Once you get a hold of your husband's land somehow then the only looming challenge is Ghana to your west, everything to the east is just slowly conquering your way across.

You’re a diplomat, as soon as you grow big enough people will fall over to become a vassal

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I need to research all the tribal innovations to feudalize, but at current clip it's going to take roughly 1300 years to do so. How can I increase the % rate to something not terrible?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I need to research all the tribal innovations to feudalize, but at current clip it's going to take roughly 1300 years to do so. How can I increase the % rate to something not terrible?

Are you the culture head. Because being a really good scholar shortens it pretty good

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Hihohe posted:

Are you the culture head. Because being a really good scholar shortens it pretty good

I'm the culture head with 29 learning.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Spending dynasty mana to disinherit someone slows down the rate you can get new dynasty perks right?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

drat then i dont know

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I mean doesn't it say the factors right there? More development in Norse counties will speed it up. By the looks of it you also haven't actually selected it as your Fascination which gives a big boost to it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

you need to click the thing you want to research

also if you get a bordering higher tech neighbour you get a second randomly assigned boosted research and you can double up with your own fascination being on the same thing to make it take like 15 years for each.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
I'm having trouble selecting troops. I guess I am just doing it wrong. It is making wars very tedious. In CK2 I just clicked and dragged over the area with the troops in it. In CK3 it is popping up all the county level tool tips so I can't select that way. Whenever I try to select the troops directly I seem to be selecting the county. To fight wars I have to pause the game, zoom in and then click and drag 3 or 4 times to select my troops. When the AI is doing that manic redirect every second thing it makes fighting wars very painful.

How do I assuredly select troops the first time, every time?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The paper map in the Bronze Age mod is really pretty

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm having trouble selecting troops. I guess I am just doing it wrong. It is making wars very tedious. In CK2 I just clicked and dragged over the area with the troops in it. In CK3 it is popping up all the county level tool tips so I can't select that way. Whenever I try to select the troops directly I seem to be selecting the county. To fight wars I have to pause the game, zoom in and then click and drag 3 or 4 times to select my troops. When the AI is doing that manic redirect every second thing it makes fighting wars very painful.

I use the outliner (scroll button in top right of the screen)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Boot and Rally posted:

I don't seem to be having trouble just dragging and clicking? You can also select armies from the Outlier you can toggle from the scroll icon in the top right.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
OK, I'll give the outliner a shot. Thanks!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm having trouble selecting troops.

I also had trouble so I use the outliner now, but I still have some trouble actually making them move, I think because accidentally clicking on a settlement selects that instead. I wish it didn't when an army is selected.

I also wish the '< some religion> in <some place>' popup would let me click something on it that would show me that religion's sheet. Is it a twisted mockery of our faith or does it have good points? It's too much bother to find out.

perc2
May 16, 2020

So far I've only been able to play one game on newbie island, was about 30 gold away from forming Ireland and then my guy died the titles went everywhere. Might see if I can do another run knowing what I know now and push for unification before my death.

On the mods side, I'm very excited for the LotR and GoT mods that are incoming, looks like Realms In Exile is already underway, paper map looks pretty nice, although that non-canon Wulfgar guy rubs me the wrong way; I feel like even with the most overt references to real cultures Tolkien made they were still shaped to feel like they fit and I'm not sure that name is doing it for me. But I suppose there will have to be a fair bit of non-canon stuff to fill out the content, I just hope it's given a bit more thought?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As culture head you can designate one tech as a Fascination/focus, which tends to speed the tech up significantly based on the culture head's learning.
A big part of it though is that 'Average Development of Norse Counties' counts for a lot.
If you want to boost that a bit, consider raiding with your liege a bunch.
(Every time you raid with your character as commander, there's a chance of a raid event where you can pick money+reknown, or sometimes a nice +40% development progress to your capital. ( every 100 points gives a development rank up.)
It compounds because that event becomes more common once you get the viking trait. Towards the end of my dude's life I could easily get 120-200 development% for my capital, which of course then speeds up the development of neighbouring counties.

Partition really loving scared me for a bit there.
My last char created the Empire of Jorvik before croaking. Then when he died his heir got it, but the secondary heir suddenly got the created Empire of Britannia.

Thankfully, the 'Empire of Britannia' title it auto-generated for him only had de-jure for the kingdom of england basically. As opposed to the entire british isles.

Ah well, that's a bonus +2 dynasty reknown/month until I kick his rear end in, I guess.

e: reaaaalllly loving hate how hard it is to save up Dynasty points, because the fuckwit that was assigned Dynasty Head after my dude passed away loving blew it on another thing I wasn't interested in. :arghfist:
2000 points down the drain for '+10% piety' instead of saving up those last 100 points and getting the tier 3 kin or blood legacy.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2020

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Thanks for the suggestion fot African thunderdome, was a fun run. Sadly converting to feudal destroyed my realm as neither me or my vassals domain buildings survived the transition, and tribal men at arms convert to costing gold unlike ck2. Bankrupted, no levies and or buildings kinda ended it. Hopefully something that gets looked at in future.

Thinking India next!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pretty neat new mod for people looking to take cool photos.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I install mods on the MS Store?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress.

My 10-year-old first born son (and potential heir) somehow wound up as ruler of a neighboring kingdom's barony??????

I don't see any family ties, and I've never ruled this part of the map before. My wife was a lowborn so I'm not really sure how this happened? What the gently caress? Did I miss some event? I only noticed because I was about to give him a recently conquered part of Scotlandd and realized he wasn't in my court.

I can't see any avenue to get him back...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's been a while since I have played a tribal liege. What should I be doing with all this gold I have? I'm sitting on over 2k gold but I'm limited on what I can build.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Dumb warfare question: Is there any looting/devastation mechanic for armies running around during a war? I can't seem to capture anything that isn't a castle, so early small-scale wars seem like they can be bloodless siege trading where if you capture their capital first, you can enforce without taking any losses? Any downsides for enemy army rampaging around your lands?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Qubee posted:

How do I install mods on the MS Store?

If you subscribe through Paradox Plaza they'll show up in the launcher. I assume there's a manual way to get them too.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Willfrey posted:

what the gently caress.

My 10-year-old first born son (and potential heir) somehow wound up as ruler of a neighboring kingdom's barony??????

I don't see any family ties, and I've never ruled this part of the map before. My wife was a lowborn so I'm not really sure how this happened? What the gently caress? Did I miss some event? I only noticed because I was about to give him a recently conquered part of Scotlandd and realized he wasn't in my court.

I can't see any avenue to get him back...

just thinking as to how he got out of your realm - did you assign him a ward that was outside of your court?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

For those who haven’t tried it, Alfred the Great is a much easier start than it is sold as being. You start with just Devon, but barring accident you inherit Wessex quite quickly. After that just bide your time until you can pick off one of the weaker vikings using mercs and men at arms and/or get an ally with some real clout.

Alfred conquered Mercia, which survives as a grossly oversized petty kingdom title - is there a way for it to morph into a slightly smaller Duchy?

Alfred’s son Aethelfrith died within a couple of years of taking the throne, but *his* son Aethelwulf the one-eyed (don’t know what happened) went on to rule for 60 years and found the Knights Templar despite being a massive nerd who spent all his time reading books. He handled the inevitable early rebellion by trying to arrest one of the conspirators before the rest had the chance to join and winning the ensuing civil war.

Then tragedy struck, as days before Aethelwulf one-eye died, his son and heir was murdered by unknown persons, leaving his 9yo grandson via a daughter to take the throne. For some reason, the kid’s heir for England and Wessex was his father, who was not a dynasty member, but somehow he survived to adulthood, marrying a beautiful older wife who he promptly romanced. Now he’s 25 and she is 30 and they have six kids, 2 of them twins. They’re very happy together, and everyone loves their gregarious, beer-swilling young king. Apart from an uncle but he mysteriously got promoted to lead an army that was hunting down Viking remnants in Scotland and got his head torn off by a berserker, nicely ending the threat from his faction.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

how do I build new holdings? When I try it says no holdings are available but there are "slots." is it because I'm a drat tribe?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My experience with a norseman game: Do you like war? Because here are 4 at once!

Lose everything except for a chieftainship, making 0.3 gold, no army, and my one ally is dead.

Character is really good - thoughtful, just, etc, but everybody hates her.

I think I'm getting it right.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

HopperUK posted:

If you subscribe through Paradox Plaza they'll show up in the launcher. I assume there's a manual way to get them too.

You can download them manually and place them in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\mod and then enable them in the launcher.

For mods that are only on the Steam workshop, you can download them from a third party website and install them in the same manner.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Beefeater1980 posted:

Alfred conquered Mercia, which survives as a grossly oversized petty kingdom title - is there a way for it to morph into a slightly smaller Duchy?

"Petty Kingdom" is a cultural name for a Duchy. They are the same thing other than the word used.

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

how do I build new holdings? When I try it says no holdings are available but there are "slots." is it because I'm a drat tribe?

Yup. Tribes don't get fancy holdings.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AStrangeDuelist posted:

This mechanic confuses me, what is it and what is it doing?

The first screenshot shows the paper map view of the empire (in teal), which I nominally controlled at the time of succession. However because of partition I only had the capital county and the duchy and kingdom titles it belongs to.

So enough vassals hated me to back another claimant and you can see in the second screenshot my territory (and loyal vassal territory) in teal versus everyone else who backed the other claim. You can see the outline of the empire title in white

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Tutorial island question: In that first war against Desmond, enforcing demands made him my vassal. In all the other wars with claims I've fabricated, I end up owning the land directly. Is there a choice between the two options, and if not, what determines what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Azuren posted:

Tutorial island question: In that first war against Desmond, enforcing demands made him my vassal. In all the other wars with claims I've fabricated, I end up owning the land directly. Is there a choice between the two options, and if not, what determines what happens?

I just asked this earlier today and confirmed it’s de Jure cb will make the ruler your vassal, and fabricated cb is declaring yourself the actual owner of the title, so you take it for yourself.