Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
More lethal than call of duty cause after playing it, you'll want to kill yourself after spending money on it.
https://i.imgur.com/4yJ5ipo.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's more lethal than cod = then physics engine kills you when you leave your spaceship

Also you'll bleed out after healing since it bugged or whatever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What makes it work for CoD is that you respawn almost instantly and are back in the action. With Star Citizen you have a 5 minute train ride just to get to your ship and hope it spawns properly, then you gotta fly back to the battle and hope the server doesn't crash along the way.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

That is one of my favorite pictures of all time. I can't really decide whether it's random poo poo he thought would make him look smart, like a Hollywood backdrop, or if he really wrote all that poo poo and his half-formed thoughts and emergent mental illnesses and unsuitability for the task in front of him, powered by Dunning-Kruger, are, in his eyes, a physical manifestation of his brilliance.

“What are you doing in there Tony?”

“Masturbating”

“Well as long as he’s not writing things on a whiteboard that even a toddler would be embarrassed by”

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
me slammin the pledge

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ponzi posted:

I'd tell you a joke about UDP, but I'm not sure you'd get it

:golfclap:

Nyast posted:

Now if you told me a joke about TCP instead I'd acknowledge you.

:hmmyes:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I’m buying one of these.

Wait I think I did that wrong...

Yes you did.

It should be:

"I'm pledging towards the development of this game. CI!G will gift me one of these as a thankyou for supporting the mansion porsche yacht project."

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bill Decker posted:

There's a cyberpunk RPG called Gamedec that has a demo on Steam at the moment, the protagonist is a player of a game called "Void Stars" which seems oddly familiar, this is the game's codex entry on it:

Other games mocking star citizen is my favorite content in this thread. thanks for sharing this.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

To be fair, a lot of games do that kind of stuff. The pump action shotguns in Halo and Doom fill me with indiscernible rage.

Sure, but Halo and Doom are pretty much "Let's do this because it's cool." AND THAT'S FINE. I have absolutely no problem with a videogame (or movie, or anything) saying "gently caress realism, we're doing something awesome." But SC has made such a big deal about realism that I don't think they get to go "gently caress it, just have this because it's cool, who cares if it makes sense for the setting?"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Thank you all for posting in this thread.

This thread is what helps me stay awake (and laughing) during my long 8 hour graveyard shifts to close out the week.

Edit: Buy and Idris I guess? I think I get the star citizen lingo now right? I'm hip and in on all the SPACE REALISM, AMIRIGHT?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
A fun DNF retrospective piece this

Duke Nukem throws a spanner in the Gearbox | 10 Years Ago This Month

quote:

"We were probably too much of a perfectionist about the game. When some other game had some great feature come out we wanted to match it… We were trying to build a game that was too great."

quote:

Although it was a critical flop, Duke Nukem Forever still turned a profit for publisher Take-Two Interactive (or at least was on track to be profitable a couple months after launch)

quote:

"Perhaps the lesson learned here is to never enter a gaming business deal with a person who has had more lawsuits than shipped games," a Gearbox representative said at the time, pointedly bringing up Apogee/3D Realms' history of court battles and helpfully foreshadowing the rest of this column

quote:

In addition to everything above, Gearbox has faced a class action lawsuit accusing the studio of misleading consumers about the quality of Aliens: Colonial Marines with pre-launch "gameplay" trailers that misrepresented the final game.

quote:

Beyond that, Gearbox traded lawsuits with its own former lawyer, another one-time friend of Pitchford's named Wade Callender. The lawsuits exchanged deeply personal barbs, with the studio accusing Callender of reneging on hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans and running up a tab on the corporate credit card for "family vacations, gun club memberships...and trying to get six-pack abs."

Just wait ten years and change the names?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

It really feels like they're talking about Star Citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pixelate posted:

You can keep the name imo as where I am from it usually means Did Not Finish :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My dudes, is gamepass as good as it looks on PC?
Like, for a couple of quid a month I can play all this poo poo? Anyone using it and can confirm it's as good as it looks?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pixelate posted:

It finally released in June 13 2011 after all that's happened. In 9-ish months it would be 10 years since DNF has come out

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

...The idea was that there'll be the products on the mass market, and then there will be niche locations, possibly black market or in sketchy places, that have superior parts because, for example, in the back alleys of Area 18 there's a master gunsmith who modifies K&W Laser Repeaters of any size to have an extra 15% ROF and cooling potential or whatever and if you KNOW about them and can get there you can buy what are actually the best version of those guns. Could they put some/all of these dudes in faction-locked locations? Sure, but that's not something they discussed at the time, it was very much presented as being gated by knowing where to go to find the vendors...

Oh my god, this is not real life. You cannot try to gate access to a thing through knowledge of its existence. It may work for a brief time after it's discovered but it will very shortly be posted on a wiki somewhere that has a list of every gun in the game and all their variants and where to get them.

In real life, this shady master gunsmith would only do work for people that he really trusts and knows.
In the game every single person can buy from him if they go through the requisite quest chain to unlock his weapons.

More evidence that commandos have not played a video game since the 90s.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

peter gabriel posted:

Like, for a couple of quid a month I can play all this poo poo? Anyone using it and can confirm it's as good as it looks?

Looks pretty good to me. I think the question is if they can keep adding content as time goes on to keep it worth it.
I took a look through all the PC games they had available and I would say the vast majority I'm not interested in or have already played but there's still some good stuff in there.

If they get new releases fairly quickly you'd have to be some kind of idiot to buy the game instead of 'renting' it for a month for 5 dollars.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have signed up as it's £1 ( :psyduck: ) at the moment, downloading Flight Sim 2020 and feel like I am stealing it, it sort of feels like I am doing something shady lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It’ll go up to 5 bucks after one month and eventually whenever Microsoft feels like it they’ll raise it to 15

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It’ll go up to 5 bucks after one month and eventually whenever Microsoft feels like it they’ll raise it to 15

I am gonna keep an eye on it for sure, it somehow seems OKish value when put up against a £1500 jpg of a spaceship though

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Just the past couple of weeks I downloaded both Wasteland 3 and Crusader Kings 3 and it only cost $5 for the month, these two games alone would have cost me nearly $150 on steam.

While the selection isn't huge, it's pretty varied both between genres and between brand new big 1st party games and indie games, and unlike steam there isn't anything I would ever call shovelware.

You do lose access to games if you stop paying, and they do remove games from the system from time too time (I don't know if they remove access too it if you've already downloaded it), but for the price it's an amazing deal.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
PC Gamepass looks like a good bargain for most cases (even though I'm not a subscriber -- but maybe soon).

Just keep in mind that once in a while they also remove games from the list. I am not sure if that gets much attention / publicity or if there's a list with "games that are being removed this month / soon"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The sub is still floating along on salty waters then

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pulsarcat posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Just the past couple of weeks I downloaded both Wasteland 3 and Crusader Kings 3 and it only cost $5 for the month, these two games alone would have cost me nearly $150 on steam.

While the selection isn't huge, it's pretty varied both between genres and between brand new big 1st party games and indie games, and unlike steam there isn't anything I would ever call shovelware.

You do lose access to games if you stop paying, and they do remove games from the system from time too time (I don't know if they remove access too it if you've already downloaded it), but for the price it's an amazing deal.

It looks ideal so far, there is a ton of stuff on there that I have been intrigued by (Forza Horizon) but never enough to buy, so I think I'll get use out of this, dicking around in Flight Sim will probably be good enough for the first month alone

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

PC Gamepass looks like a good bargain for most cases (even though I'm not a subscriber -- but maybe soon).

Just keep in mind that once in a while they also remove games from the list. I am not sure if that gets much attention / publicity or if there's a list with "games that are being removed this month / soon"

There is, if you scroll down on the main page you'll sometimes see games listed as "leaving soon." But it doesn't seem to tell you when they are being removed, at least I can't find that information.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

hosed project led by a family of scamming fidelity bears

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pulsarcat posted:

There is, if you scroll down on the main page you'll sometimes see games listed as "leaving soon." But it doesn't seem to tell you when they are being removed, at least I can't find that information.

Nice, I've missed that.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the high priest of Game Pass and I can not recommend it enough. And if you use Microsoft reward points you get it for free.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

New roadmap is looking good.

The two core gameplay improvements have been removed entirely, but there are plenty of ships! Development is perfectly balanced as all things should be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

peter gabriel posted:

It looks ideal so far, there is a ton of stuff on there that I have been intrigued by (Forza Horizon) but never enough to buy, so I think I'll get use out of this, dicking around in Flight Sim will probably be good enough for the first month alone

First party games from Microsoft Studios (Forza, Halo, Flightsim2020 etc.) are on Gamepass from release and don't get removed, that I'm aware of. Others will rotate out but you usually get a little warning prior to that, and they discount those games for Gamepass holders if you decide you want to buy them to keep.

Be warned though, the installer they use for this can be nearly as fucky as Store Citizer sometimes. I've been lucky so far, but some people have had nightmares getting some games to install and run properly so YMMV

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1301928069024722945

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

The two core gameplay improvements have been removed entirely, but there are plenty of ships! Development is perfectly balanced as all things should be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/imzk0v/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20200904/g44bwm6/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

watching the reactions to these roadmaps is so funny because you can see people going through different stages of grief as they slowly come to terms with the fact that this game will never get done.

quote:

You talk about fact, so have a look at reality like this very thread.

'People' are factually a very tiny fraction of vocal ones, most not even saying or thinking it will never be done, out of 218K Reddit members from a million plus individual backers.

quote:

Another fact is that this sub is regularly brigaded by SomethingAwful and the members of the refunds hate sub. These threads are specifically targeted by them to spread their FUD. Since the mods do nothing about it, they get free reign in here.

quote:

Yep. The mods will do nothing because "we don't want to create an echo chamber".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

colonelwest posted:

Pushing anything to Q4 without pushing something else to Q1 is basically telling you nothing is going to get done in there because people always take vacations for the holidays

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

colonelwest posted:

I’m not an expert on firearms, I only own a handgun and the couple years I was in the Army were mostly spent behind a computer. But I have fired grenade launchers and everything about that design looks stupid. Just a ton of pointless extra weight and nonsensical features. Like they seem to have put in a bunch of features from a tactical shotgun, like space that is apparently used for a large recoil spring in the stock, which wouldn’t exist in a revolver type weapon. This is what a modern revolver type grenade launcher looks like.

Then of course they have the stupid hexagonal shaped grenades (because FUTURE!) that I’m sure would make them tumble through the air wildly and unable to hit anything.

I’m sure this all took years and thousands of man hours, with multiple revisions getting struck down by Chris; and it represents amazing progress in this space game going into year 9.

Every single one of their weapons look dumb and impracticable, and scream "I've been designed by someone who never shot a firearm". In itself it's not a problem, it's just hilarious when you're pretending to be fidelitious.

https://starcitizen.tools/Demeco_Energy_LMG#/media/File:Demeco_-_on_grey_background_-_Left.jpg
https://starcitizen.tools/Custodian_SMG#/media/File:Custodian_-_with_x4_clips_-_Flat.jpg
https://starcitizen.tools/Arrowhead_Sniper_Rifle#/media/File:ArrowheadVoyager.jpg
https://starcitizen.tools/Sawtooth_Knife#/media/File:Sawtooth-jp-03-2020.png

I particularly love their obsession with thumb-hole stocks. I guess in the grimdark future of Chris Roberts, even the military must comply with arbitrary gun laws restrictions.
I guess it's another obsession of the man with a vision, like the obsessions with bartenders, mess halls, coffee, etc...

They also have some nice archered original designs:
https://starcitizen.tools/images/thumb/2/2c/Gmni-st71.png/1920px-Gmni-st71.png /https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Xm8_sideview.jpg
https://starcitizen.tools/images/th...ades_-_Flat.jpg / https://static2.gunfire.com/eng_pl_Beretta-ARX160-Sportsline-assault-rifle-replica-1152204203_1.jpg

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 5, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Megalobster posted:

*spaceguns*

Titanfall 2 had a space M14, and that's one of the dumbest things I ever saw.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

They toss and turn and gnash and wail, all to the absolutely terrific backdrop of CI¬G not releasing a game which makes all their protestations moot :lol:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Jesus the roadmap in year 8 of this crap is a depressing view.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is "find Chris and Sandi" on the road map or has that been pushed to next quarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Megalobster posted:

I particularly love their obsession with thumb-hole stocks. I guess in the grimdark future of Chris Roberts, even the military must comply with arbitrary gun laws restrictions.
tbf some people do just like the feel of those. but I imagine they're doing it because it's a way to get a more 'different' looking silhouette.