Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1294306234087215104?s=20

These books have been dope as hell, I'm hoping Freed comes through with a fitting finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kotor related question: I'm trying to plan out a playthrough where I successfully complete every companion sidequest. However there is another optional piece that im not sure ill be able to get so I wonder if anyone here knows if it is possible.

My big issue is with Carth's quest with his son Dustil on Korriban. Now for it to trigger you need two star maps and his dialogue options exhausted. My issue is that I also want to redeem Yuthura Ban on Korriban so I can see her on Dantooine as a reformed Jedi. But it seems like both of these options are mutually exclusive. Getting Dustil means that you need two star maps already and redeeming Yuthura means you've also got the third map on Korriban. But that means that it would be impossible to see her on Dantooine because you get captured by the Leviathan after the third map is found and Dantooine is bombed from orbit and unavailable.

So is there a trick im missing here or is it impossible to finish Carth's quest and also see Yuthura on Dantooine?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there anything preventing you from doing Korriban first and then going back to Korriban once you fulfill the requirements for Dustil's quest?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Slashrat posted:

Is there anything preventing you from doing Korriban first and then going back to Korriban once you fulfill the requirements for Dustil's quest?

If you redeem Yuthura and she leaves the academy then the academy goes into a full riot and you have to fight your way out and the academy door locks behind you. You have to do Dustil's quest before redeeming Yuthura because you can't come back after the riot.

The only other option I can see is where you spare Yuthura but she doesn't leave to return to Dantooine. She stays on as the leader of the academy and you can return later, but that defeats the purpose of me wanting to see her on Dantooine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found a 1989 West End Games RPG quest set on Cloud City. It's rare that I've seen such an antagonistic, railroaded scenario outside of high school games. I can understand why GMs would gain a reputation for this if that's the kind of stuff they grew up learning on. It not only fucks you over with constant damage from the start that may or may not get a chance to heal and leave you utterly wrecked by the finale, it includes multiple spots for a potential TPK, a potential place for important NPCs to be instantly killed but no provision for their absence later in the book, and outright telling the GM to fudge the otherwise unfair final battle so the players don't feel cheated.

It also includes the GM having to read out screenplay-style descriptions of scenes happening elsewhere and assigning the players roles in an opening exposition script like you're doing a table read!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

chitoryu12 posted:

It also includes the GM having to read out screenplay-style descriptions of scenes happening elsewhere and assigning the players roles in an opening exposition script like you're doing a table read!

That's a bit in all the old WEG Star Wars modules. It's often pretty bad, but I think the concept is a neat way to incorporate scenes outside the PCs' immediate perspective.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In retrospect it's funny to go back and read the WEG stuff written by Troy Denning. Even in 1990, the seeds were there for the poo poo he would be churning out twenty-plus years later.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chairman Capone posted:

In retrospect it's funny to go back and read the WEG stuff written by Troy Denning. Even in 1990, the seeds were there for the poo poo he would be churning out twenty-plus years later.

Well don't stop there, tell us more!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Cross-Section posted:

These books have been dope as hell, I'm hoping Freed comes through with a fitting finale.

I'm halfway through the first book in the series... does it have a slow start, or is this as good as it gets? So far, it feels like kind of an edgy take on Wraith Squadron. I know that at least one of the characters is from Rebels and I haven't watched that, so that might be reducing my enjoyment, but it seems about on-par with the Stackpole books so far and I was hoping for Allston-quality.

edit: I guess I might just want more humor and comradely antics. Everything feels so dour and everyone seems to hate or at least mistrust each other.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 22, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Well don't stop there, tell us more!

A lot of pervy Twi'lek bits, gratuitous bodily harm, humans dressing up as aliens, and the aliens (not only the species but the actual characters) who show up as the big bads in Crucible are tropes throughout his WEG stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just read the summary of Crucible, and the idea that Han and Luke and Leia are still fighting pirates and evil businessmen and brand new threats to the entire galaxy at age 80 or whatever is more depressing than anything that happened in the sequel movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it was a mandate from on high that the Big Three had to be the focal point of virtually every book published. That's why their kids and their peers were always just supporting cast, even when those characters were in their 30s and 40s

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know if it was a mandate from "on high" or Denning himself, at a time when Denning was the biggest voice in the books. I remember him explicitly saying that the reason Jag Fel had to retire from being head of the Empire when he married Jaina (even though this contradicted what had been established by other sources) was so Jaina could stick around the Jedi Temple because he couldn't envision a way she could still be one of the "main characters" without living in the same building with them all.

With Crucible it was also an issue where the book was conceived as something that would set the stage for the next big book series, then the Disney buyout happened and it was clear that Crucible would be the "finale" for the EU, so it had to get reworked. But at the same time it's hard to tell if all the blatant nostalgia references were as a result of that or just Denning's typical writing style.

I remember back in 2016 there were book listings leaked that made it seem like Denning was coming back to write more and I've never been happier for a rumor to get debunked.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I spoke to Aaron Allston at a signing once, and he implied that it took a lot of arm twisting and cajoling to get the X-Wing series greenlit, because even back in the bantam days doing a series without Han, Luke, or Leia as the leads was a hard sell.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

surf rock posted:

edit: I guess I might just want more humor and comradely antics. Everything feels so dour and everyone seems to hate or at least mistrust each other.

Yeah, aside from from very brief bits of levity, that's more-or-less the tone of the series. I personally dig it in this hellyear of 2020, but I can totally get wanting something more lighthearted. Maybe the Squadrons campaign will bring that tone, idk

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

A lot of pervy Twi'lek bits, gratuitous bodily harm, humans dressing up as aliens, and the aliens (not only the species but the actual characters) who show up as the big bads in Crucible are tropes throughout his WEG stuff.

denning has been sitting on his dime-store MODOKs for that long???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jazerus posted:

denning has been sitting on his dime-store MODOKs for that long???

Come on!

FauxDOKs was *right there*

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

I spoke to Aaron Allston at a signing once, and he implied that it took a lot of arm twisting and cajoling to get the X-Wing series greenlit, because even back in the bantam days doing a series without Han, Luke, or Leia as the leads was a hard sell.

Well yeah, back at the very start of the Bantam era maybe. Though even very early on there was Tales of the Jedi, the Tales From XXX books, Young Jedi Knights, and the various Adventure Journal stories which were fairly independent of the big three.

But beginning with the Del Rey/NJO/Prequel era, the tone was "the shift to the new generation" that was strong at the start of NJO but even by the end was kind of fading, and then completely gone once Denning took the helm with Dark Nest. The original ending of NJO was supposed to be Luke going into quasi-retirement and handing the reigns on to the next generation, and then Dark Nest begins with Luke putting his stamp back down.

It's especially ironic because Denning claimed he was a huge fan of the Young Jedi Knights books and their characters but basically ended up killing the majority of their cast.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, aside from from very brief bits of levity, that's more-or-less the tone of the series. I personally dig it in this hellyear of 2020, but I can totally get wanting something more lighthearted. Maybe the Squadrons campaign will bring that tone, idk

Just finished the first book. I dunno, it got a little better in the last third once the squadron went from everyone actively hating each other to some of them secretly hating each other, I suppose. Trying to decide whether to get the second book, because at that point I'd feel committed to finish the trilogy.

Honestly, I think if Caern Adan died (what a miserable loser of a character) and Kairos got a personality or just replaced I would be significantly more onboard. I can live with Yrica, Wyl, Chass, and Nath. Chass especially I think is a pretty unique character.

I'll admit it does bother me that apparently a squadron is no longer 12 pilots.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

surf rock posted:

Just finished the first book. I dunno, it got a little better in the last third once the squadron went from everyone actively hating each other to some of them secretly hating each other, I suppose. Trying to decide whether to get the second book, because at that point I'd feel committed to finish the trilogy.

Honestly, I think if Caern Adan died (what a miserable loser of a character) and Kairos got a personality or just replaced I would be significantly more onboard. I can live with Yrica, Wyl, Chass, and Nath. Chass especially I think is a pretty unique character.

I'll admit it does bother me that apparently a squadron is no longer 12 pilots.

Chass is easily my favorite of the crew and makes me wish that Squadrons could have an in-universe music option ala Rebel Galaxy.

And regarding the rest of the spoiler'ed bits, I'd say the second book definitely... addresses those points.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I listened to an episode of the Full of Sith podcast on a whim the other day, and whew... It felt like the last survivors in a bunker after a nuclear war. Just two hosts left, desperately trying to convince themselves that everything about Star Wars is 100% great and anyone who disagrees is a nitpicking troll. It's especially sad to hear Bryan Young because he used to actually have interesting things to say and now his brain has melted so much he thinks The Rise of Skywalker is one of the best movies ever made.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't do death sticks, kids. Go home and rethink your life.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I listened to an episode of the Full of Sith podcast on a whim the other day, and whew... It felt like the last survivors in a bunker after a nuclear war. Just two hosts left, desperately trying to convince themselves that everything about Star Wars is 100% great and anyone who disagrees is a nitpicking troll. It's especially sad to hear Bryan Young because he used to actually have interesting things to say and now his brain has melted so much he thinks The Rise of Skywalker is one of the best movies ever made.

I've never heard that podcast. What were the interesting things he had to say?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Van Dis posted:

I've never heard that podcast. What were the interesting things he had to say?

His big thing was going in-depth on the film influences on Lucas and the way that Star Wars fit into the wider movie culture of the 60s-70s. He used to write articles on the official site about it. It's just so weird that among the (formerly) four hosts he was probably the biggest cinephile but from TLJ on he just reverted to a reflexive "Star Wars is 100% good" defense state.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone help me try to nail down the timeline of events that lead up to the start of KOTOR 2? I've played the game several times but putting everything together has always been a little heady for me. This is all including information from the Restored Content Mod.

So, Kreia, who is almost definitely Arren Kae, is thought to have died in the Mandalorian Wars. Following the end of the war or possibly during it she discovers the temple on Malachor V. After the battle that rips the planet apart she returns to the planet and forms an alliance with Sion, a Dark Jedi who fought for Exar Kun and survives off of his pain, and Nihilus, a Revanchist Jedi who turned to feeding off of the souls of Force Users to survive the Wound in the Force caused by the activation of the Mass Shadow Generator. The Sith Triumvirate is formed.

The Exile returns to the Council to face judgment and Kreia, behind the scenes, convinces Atris to exile her and sways the Council to do the same. The Exile leaves known space. The Jedi Civil War begins. Two years later the Civil War ends and Revan leaves for the unknown regions. Barely 100 Jedi survived the war and the Republic is crippled.

At some point the Sith Triumvirate breaks and Kreia is cast down, leaving Sion and Nihilus as two uneasy allies using their own forces to assassinate the Jedi. Sion tends to work alone but Nihilus sends along his assassins who sniff out Force Users like bloodhounds to hunt and kill Jedi. The surviving members of the Council convene at Katarr to find a way to combat the threat of the assassins, but their gathering acts as a beacon for Nihilus and he devours the entire planet save Visas Marr.

Kreia, now acting on her own and thought dead, engineers the Exile's return to known space. She reaches out to Atris once again and pulls strings to have the Exile brought to Telos to ostensibly help with the reconstruction effort. Meanwhile Kreia doesn't actually know that Atris is on Telos (or maybe she does? Kreia lies to everybody so im not entirely sure) but it was never her intention to let the Exile get there on her own. Kreia somehow finds the Ebon Hawk and moves to intercept the Harbinger and take on the Exile before moving away. However the Ebon Hawk attracts the attention of a Sith warship that had also been tracking the Harbinger (since Atris had quietly broadcast the Exile's return to the galaxy to the Core databases which in turn got criminal outfits like GOTO interested, hence the HK-50s in the Republic Fleet going on standby to fulfill the Jedi Bounty) and the Ebon Hawk is attacked, leaving it stranded before the Harbinger picks it up.

The HK-50, acknowledging the open bounty on Jedi, begins to systematically cripple the Harbinger, just before the ship encounters the Sith warship. Seemingly deserted, they bring Sion's "corpse" aboard, and Nihilus's assassins also board the ship while cloaked. When Sion breaks loose and attacks the crew, HK-50 makes his move and heads for the Ebon Hawk with the Exile as his drugged captive, the Exile being kept safe from the slaughter by being locked in a cargo hold. Once they are aboard the Ebon Hawk, T3-M4 manages to seal the HK-50 in the hold with HK-47 and flees the scene, taking more fire from the Harbinger. They end up limping towards Peragus, just as the HK-50 escapes and disables T3 and the other astromech Droid to keep them from talking. Kreia is presumed dead (and has been playing dead since the initial attack by Sion's warship), the Exile is put into a healing tank, and HK-50 spends a week tearing apart Peragus while waiting for a ship to pick them up. Cue KOTOR 2 gameplay.

Is that about right? It gets fuzzy with how much of it was Kreia's intentional plans and how much of it Kreia left up to Atris to make Atris believe she was the one pulling the strings.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 2, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's been a hell of a long time since I played KOTOR II, and I still need to do the restored content mod, but I thought that the Exile's trial before the Jedi Council happens after the start of the Civil War? That's about the only thing that I had an issue with in your overview.

I also think that female Revan and male Exile are the more interesting choices than the canonical opposite, given your romantic options for each.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't really favour a female Revan because Carth is the wooooorst.

I think that the trial took place right around the time that Revan and Malak returned with the Star Forge fleets. They never really "stopped" the war after Malachor and swept into the unknown regions to ostensibly chase down the Mandalorians (but really to follow up on leads about the Rakatan Infinite Empire and the True Sith.) So I did get that mixed up, I thought that the Exile returned right after Malachor, but it could have been some time. Can you really blame her though? Out of that entire mess only two force users walked away, and with Nihilus that is debatable. But I also know that the Jedi Civil War started only a few months after Malachor ended, since the war had been raging for two years by the time KOTOR 1 starts. So the timeline still kinda matches.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, don't leave us hanging.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Because an artist was horny"

There you go. There's the reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What’s the noble reason for her canon nude spread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

"Because an artist was horny"

There you go. There's the reason.

Oh I know.

I just want to know what the Star Wars version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE is.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

chitoryu12 posted:

What’s the noble reason for her canon nude spread

Hang on a minute, I've never heard the word 'nude' before. Could you perhaps link me to some kind of encyclopedia that defines the word?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The artist who came up with Aayla was a woman, FYI. Also I think the only person to have done work on the original Marvel Star Wars, then Dark Horse era, and then the new Marvel Star Wars.

Also this made me remember that Aaron Allston established in one of his LOTF books that horny people in the Outer Rim turned Aayla into a sex goddess and wrote erotic fanfiction about her.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It is very possible that Jan Duursema is just really horny for twi'leks

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think Duursema just illustrated all of her women characters as large-breasted babes and all her male characters as Rob Liefield muscle-men. The only reason there's some clickbait article about Aayla wearing a skimpy outfit is because Lucas just happened to like the Aayla art he saw and decided to put her in AOTC.

So really Jivjov is wrong and the answer is because George Lucas was horny.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Filmmakers are artists, so Lucas being horny is still an artist being horny.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently this was the comic cover that prompted Lucas to put her in the movie, and it's pretty un-horny as far as depictions of Twi'Leks go:

That being said, George "there are no bras in space" Lucas is quite horny.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

Filmmakers are artists, so Lucas being horny is still an artist being horny.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7Twd85m2g