Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Or when he flew over Hughie in the first episode. He can't be looking in every direction.

However, the idea that he didn't notice people approaching in a storm drain with 14 people in it, tops, strains disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SpaceCommie posted:

Did you miss the frozen milk scene?

I think that was more out of utility than rage. he wanted it "body" temperature.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Sir Kodiak posted:

There seems to be a blindspot where nobody notices or comments on her obvious unsuitability as a member of the Seven given Vought's obsession with PR, so I was curious if I missed them being provided with an explanation of what's going on that would mollify them.

Well, being a nazi sympathizer is incredible for PR and would get a hella lot supporters if reality is anything to go by

Arglebargle III posted:

Or when he flew over Hughie in the first episode. He can't be looking in every direction.

However, the idea that he didn't notice people approaching in a storm drain with 14 people in it, tops, strains disbelief.

Yeah, doing other stuff I could see a "when you hear everything you can't focus on it all" but he was actively searching for people there, he would've perceived the breathing/hearts beating

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 5, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Durzel posted:

This feels hyper critical but I feel like [spoiler]S1 Homelander wouldn’t have tolerated Starlight wasting so much time killing Hughie, especially when he knows what he’s responsible for, together with the fact that he doesn’t really need her buy in to the team at all when he’s straight up threatened her anyway.

I think that's what makes him so terrifying. He's never under a sense of time urgency, ever. The world can be in chaos but it makes no difference to him because he's a god. He will drag out a moment indefinitely if it brings them more discomfort aka him more pleasure. He doesn't exist on the same timetable as other beings. At one point he says, "we don't have time for this," but he's referring to completing a task before it gets too annoying and someone might talk his ear off about it later. It's unnerving and I love it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Well, being a nazi sympathizer is incredible for PR and would get a hella lot supporters if reality is anything to go by

Possibly so, but that also doesn't seem to be part of public knowledge unless I missed something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Stormfront's streamcrowd didn't have overt altright names. But one of them did have the handle "J@ckfromJup!ter"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeah, doing other stuff I could see a "when you hear everything you can't focus on it all" but he was actively searching for people there, he would've perceived the breathing/hearts beating

He can also see through stuff as shown in season 1 so it's just a story telling choice, you can't really logic these things out when the guy is Generic Superman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If we want to be nerdy about it, zinc galvanization is used in storm drains to prevent corrosion.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Everyone who liked the Patton Oswald scene but hasn’t seen Lucky needs to watch it. It felt like an outtake from that show.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did I miss something that explains Stormfront's promotion given her social media bullshit? I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Edgar had a secret reason that will be revealed later or whatever, but it seems odd that no one is questioning why they're doing all this myth-making PR if management is just going to promote someone whose primary shtick is tearing all that down. Like, what's Starlight or Homelander or anyone's subjective understanding of why Vought would work at cross-purposes with itself like that, whatever the hidden plot reasons might end up being?

I’m two eps in and Stormfronts promotion makes sense so far. In this day and age there’s the kind of behind the scenes of celebrity angle where people love to get a hint of the messy drama. Stormfronts whole thing is the faux “authentic” thing where however much it looks like she’s against the suits, the suits are still profiting off her since all eyeballs on her = money.

It’s an impressively aggravating character to me, she’s acting like she not a sellout while being part of the biggest franchise on the planet. (It’s the same reaction I get whenever I see Ricky Gervais do a takedown of celebrities at the oscars but still get invited back three times, or the craft beer band Brewdogs “beer for punks” advert)

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 5, 2020

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Okay, if that's what going on, that's cool. I'd still love to see what a promo spot for her looks like, or a meeting that showed that image being used–a glimpse on the intentionality of it from the Vought perspective–but it does make sense that so far our view of the corporate side of things is focused on them managing the Compound V situation. Because so far we've just seen them pushing her as "one of the girls," which isn't exactly playing into her image being that of an outside agitator.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stormfront has an independent online following but we haven't really been given a sense of how popular she was before hand. Likewise we don't know if anyone even knows if Deaf-Devil even exists (or if anyone will miss him). Does Vought scout these superheroes like NFL guys or are they just keeping tabs on all the super babies and grabbing them when they are ready?

I suspect we'll find out that Stormfront is slight nepotism, like one of the Vought CEO/Board guys is her Nazi grandpa.

I'm asking this as a Jewish person, but does anyone else feel like Stormfront looks extremely Jewish? She just has the exact same hair/face/nose/body as every pretty JAP I knew in college and I cannot tell if that's written into the show or not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

I’m two eps in and Stormfronts promotion makes sense so far. In this day and age there’s the kind of behind the scenes of celebrity angle where people love to get a hint of the messy drama. Stormfronts whole thing is the faux “authentic” thing where however much it looks like she’s against the suits, the suits are still profiting off her since all eyeballs on her = money.

It’s an impressively aggravating character to me, she’s acting like she not a sellout while being part of the biggest franchise on the planet. (It’s the same reaction I get whenever I see Ricky Gervais do a takedown of celebrities at the oscars but still get invited back three times, or the craft beer band Brewdogs “beer for punks” advert)

She acts like a rebel, but at the end of Episode 3, she's giving the same "you guys are the real heroes!" speech that she rags on Homelander and Maeve for giving in Episode 1.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

PostNouveau posted:

Fukuhara did not really get much to do in Season 1, and then went from like 0 to 100 when Kenji showed up. All of a sudden, just so loving good. The guy playing Kenji was great as well. Those two really crushed what was kinda meh material.

I was actually touched by the performances there, they elevated what was by all standards a pretty cliche storyline and characterization. Even the contrived sibling conflict felt organic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Okay, if that's what going on, that's cool. I'd still love to see what a promo spot for her looks like, or a meeting that showed that image being used–a glimpse on the intentionality of it from the Vought perspective–but it does make sense that so far our view of the corporate side of things is focused on them managing the Compound V situation. Because so far we've just seen them pushing her as "one of the girls," which isn't exactly playing into her image being that of an outside agitator.

I'm surprised they didn't actually produce the "Girls Get It Done" promo they were shooting all through Episode 2. They do make in-universe Vought marketing materials:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B08C8NJQSH/ref=dv_dp_explore_sign_in/ref=dv_auth_ret

The "X-Ray" thing in the Amazon Prime player also has a bunch of fake ads for Vought products in it.

Edit: The promo with Lil' Homelander is even better

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B08C8NJQSH/ref=dv_dp_explore_sign_in/ref=dv_auth_ret

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

She acts like a rebel, but at the end of Episode 3, she's giving the same "you guys are the real heroes!" speech that she rags on Homelander and Maeve for giving in Episode 1.

She's a plant from Edgar to catch/exploit Homelander!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

She's a plant from Edgar to catch/exploit Homelander!

Maybe! She's also clearly doing it as a power move to stick it to him.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm asking this as a Jewish person, but does anyone else feel like Stormfront looks extremely Jewish? She just has the exact same hair/face/nose/body as every pretty JAP I knew in college and I cannot tell if that's written into the show or not.

The actress's father's family is Jewish.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok cool. I wonder if they'll write that into the script. Someone might bring up her heritage and she'll drop the edgelord memesmith facade and go full fash on camera or something.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also curious if it will stay a behind-the-scenes irony or if they'll incorporate it into the show. I think it's interesting on the meta level because the actress knew who the character is when she took the job.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Interesting, hadn't seen those videos before. Very fun.

It does make me wonder about the Ricky Gervais interpretation where Stormfront is Vought monetizing the opposition to itself, though. Everyone else in that video is in-character as their public persona, so presumably Stormfront is as well. And you can interpret, like, Rage Against the Machine as having been full of poo poo for selling their music through Sony, but even if it's purely a manufactured image of dissent, both side of that arrangement would know enough to not have them appear in an internal marketing video talking about vertical integration.

But, of course, that video's not part of the actual show so who knows.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Caros posted:

Mr. Edgar seems to be in part a take on the comics version of Stillwell, who had a rather interesting end:

Comic Stillwell has the same absurd level of calm that Edgar displays, to the point that when Homelander finally goes completely off the edge he remains entirely unphased by the bloodstained lunatic who shows up at his window to kill him. He calls out homelander for the fact that despite all his power he has never done anything remotely original or outstanding, never done anything that any other person with that power wouldn't do.

Guy is smart enough to know that Homelander has daddy issues and a need to impress, that he'd rather say 'I told you so' before tearing off his head. Ends up living through the comic, shockingly.

Giancarlo Esposito has gotten much deserved recognition at this stage of his career if only to hit a pocket of menacing villains. He was great in Homicide and Bakersfield P.D.

Being caught flat footed at the episode 3 meeting of The Seven where Homelander gets the upper hand is a fun turn.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 7, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just realized that he is also the main villain in Mandalorian so he's just gonna be wrecking all my peeps until Christmas

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

massive spider posted:

Everyone who liked the Patton Oswald scene but hasn’t seen Lucky needs to watch it. It felt like an outtake from that show.

Do not watch Lucky it is a bad show.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I just realized that he is also the main villain in Mandalorian so he's just gonna be wrecking all my peeps until Christmas

He was also sang in the title credits of the original Electric Company.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Arglebargle III posted:

Do not watch Lucky it is a bad show.

Counterpoint: Do watch Lucky. It is a good show.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Automatic Slim posted:

What I liked about comic Stillwell was while was an evil corporate shill he was exceedingly polite to waiters and underlings. He was evil but not an rear end in a top hat- in public.

Giancarlo Esposito has gotten much deserved recognition at this stage of his career if only to hit a pocket of menacing villains. He was great in Homicide and Bakersfield P.D.

Being caught flat footed at the episode 3 meeting of The Seven where Homelander gets the upper hand is a fun turn.

Looks like he's at peace with it.

https://twitter.com/quiethandfilms/status/1302277685847224322?s=19

Dude seems like a nice enough guy and I'm never mad to see him pop up in anything. Hopefully his run lasts as long as he wants it to.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Ahhh finished episode 3 tried to figure what was wrong with my amazon account for episode 4 :/

This is for sure my favorite show. I love Hughie =)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Lucky? Oswalt? You mean Happy?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I liked what I've seen from season 2 so far but had a weird issue while watching on my fire stick. Any subtitled scene would popup an empty semi translucent rectangle where words were clearly supposed to be. There was no option to fix this on my firestick. When I went to the subtitles menu, there was no option to turn them on or off. Did anyone else have this happen? How much important info did I miss in the subtitled scenes?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Split the difference and only watch the first season of Happy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I got maybe two episodes into the second season of Happy before I realized all the fun of the first season was gone.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Everyone is excited about the Patton Oswalt cameo, but no one has enough love for the joke that the GooGoo Dolls music was diagetic

I absolutely howled when I heard "Iris" in the background of that scene. Deep's arc has been wild

PostNouveau posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think Stormfront is going to be the alt-right to Homelander's fascism. I think she's just comic relief.

lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know what show we're talking about here, but I kinda hope they keep with the whole "Stormfront is a Neo-Nazi hiding in plain sight" thing and don't go over the top and have her have a memorabilia fetish room and an American History X-style swastika tattoo somewhere on her.

Of course, probably *both* of those things and more will happen, but still, it's a more powerful metaphor with her playing the "snarky liberal feminist virtue signaler who's secretly a minority-killing Nazi" character.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Her belt buckle is pretty nazi-adjacent.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I think the idea that Stormfront is a literal actual Nazi from back in the day is genius because it sets up a conflict between Homelander and her.

She probably sees in him an ally and the ideal ubermensch. On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

withak posted:

The earrings are little SS lightning bolts

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Also, my favorite singular sight-gag is A-Train swagging at the club, leaning back, drinking spending cash, and then he walks outside and it's 3:00pm.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Victis posted:

I think the idea that Stormfront is a literal actual Nazi from back in the day is genius because it sets up a conflict between Homelander and her.

She probably sees in him an ally and the ideal ubermensch. On the other hand, he sees himself as such a champion of America, how do you reconcile that with working with what the US has always considered the Big Bad Guys

I actually want her to be an alternate-history Hanna Reitsch or something. Or worse, Irma Grese.

withak posted:

*Directly* Nazi-adjacent. It's a blatant Reichsadler without the swastika.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly thing Edgar brought Stormfront in as just a power play for Homelander. She's about the only one in his league, she's not terrified of him in the least, and I'm about 99% sure she's on the company payroll simply as Edgar's bodyguard/insurance policy.

Otherwise I think she'd be happy just flying around and electrocuting non white people. Hell, that's probably what she was up to before she got the call about an opening in the 7. Hard to add a person to a team when the name signifies how many members, and there's a full roster. When Translucent dies, there's an opening, Edgar realizes what Homelander did and how he's going off the rails, and decides "Hey, trump card time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Sir Kodiak posted:

Interesting, hadn't seen those videos before. Very fun.

It does make me wonder about the Ricky Gervais interpretation where Stormfront is Vought monetizing the opposition to itself, though. Everyone else in that video is in-character as their public persona, so presumably Stormfront is as well. And you can interpret, like, Rage Against the Machine as having been full of poo poo for selling their music through Sony, but even if it's purely a manufactured image of dissent, both side of that arrangement would know enough to not have them appear in an internal marketing video talking about vertical integration.

But, of course, that video's not part of the actual show so who knows.

So far I've been looking at Stormfront's rebellious thing as being like "bad girl in a k-pop band" or "1990's Avril Lavigne" manufactured rebellious

also it kinda bugs me that her outfit is basically Helmetless Darth Vader and she uses Force Lightning