Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clown Fundamentals
Mar 18, 2018

President and GM of YOUR Camden Buzzsaw

Replace Rogers Hornsby with super-intelligent cyborgs. Or, if cyborgs have not been invented yet, call up Gary Sheffield to play DH in the 2-hole, after sending Rajah to the IL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Champs Retain

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Alright. Go ahead and put Clayton Kershaw to SP2, Josh Beckett to SP5, Liriano to the minors.

Sorry for the delay in posting... my internet is having issues, have a tech supposedly coming Monday to run some tests.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
Pick 'em: SEMI-COMPLETE!

Omni-Titles
South Bolton Eazy W's (c)

Triple Crown Championships
Los Angeles Misanthropes (c)

Intercontinental Championship
Raleigh Red Pandas (c)

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Champs lose!!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
pickem
outlaws take triple crown
others retain

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pick 'em: SEMI-COMPLETE!

Omni-Titles
South Bolton Eazy W's (c)

Los Angeles Misanthropes (c)

Raleigh Red Pandas (c)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Alright, Bombers are going to take 1902 Deacon Phillippe. Put him in for the higher ERA Eddie Cicotte, put that Cicotte in long relief, and send down Jim Scott.

Also new lineup:

code:
2B - Collins
3B - Boggs
CF - Speaker
1B - Pujols
DH - Pujols
LF - Jackson
RF - Gwynn/Kaline platoon
SS - Banks
C  - Posey

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Champs lose

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

The Marmosets draft 1924 Charlie Gehringer.

Lineup changes:
Send down Edgar Martinez and Ty Cobb. Put Rogers Hornsby in at full-time DH and Gehringer at full time 2B. Bring up Ichiro to take Cobb's spot on the bench.

Lineup against RHP:
1. Rickey Henderson (CF)
2. Mel Ott (RF)
3. Jimmie Foxx (1B)
4. Rogers Hornsby (DH)
5. Mickey Cochrane (C)
6. Ichiro Suzuki (LF)
7. Honus Wagner (SS)
8. Charlie Gehringer (2B)
9. Eddie Matthews (3B)

Lineup against Lefties:
1. Rickey Henderson (CF)
2. Mel Ott (RF)
3. Jimmie Foxx (1B)
4. Rogers Hornsby (DH)
5. Matt McPIzza (C)
6. Adrian Beltre (3B)
7. Al Simmons (LF)
8. Honus Wagner (SS)
9. Charlie Gehringer (2B)

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

We draft Harry Heilmann, who takes Mel Otts spot in all lineups

Demote Freddie Freeman to make room

Please swap Walter Johnson with long relief jack powell

shepard.shouldgo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 5, 2020

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXIX, Week 13: Around the Bend

: Are we sure this isn't Disco Elysium? I'd rather play that again.
: Oh, let me heal your Pokemon first.
: Ominous.
: Let's do this!

: I know it's technically illegal to snoop around these, but I have a funny feeling there might be some clues on them.
: About what?

: But I haven't used MS-DOS in years!

desert_nova.txt posted:

We finalized the search for the optimal location of the Pillar. It is on the periphery of the desert continent to the west. In the following days, we'll prepare for the big move. All the Zirconium Alloy materials will be shipped via tankers. All the analysis done here indicates high ?success ?x? ??x? ?x??? ?????x???? ??????x???? z?energy readings: 0.1106 ???x/???? divergence: 1% ?????x?? ?????????x material: stable ????x X????? ???? conditions for summoning zin???m?: positive ???? x??????

Computer posted:

The archeological student team lead by the young S. Rocksworth has uncovered fragments of meteor rock in the scorching sands of the Epireon's Ruins. Upon scientific examination of the rock, it was determined to be more than 10,000 years old, with origins traced to the 2-star system, M40. What was more interesting than its age or origins, were the special energy readings. What was then thought of as radioactive leftover, is now know as ????rgy

: Guh?

: I don't know if it can help us. Let's investigate further.

: Unless this is escape rope can be fashioned into a noose, I don't see what good it will do me.

: Is Smasher Dynamo really going to become a meth dealer? The answer might surprise you!

: I guess it might be helpful if I explain who I am before I ask if you've seen my dad.

: I don't think that's conjugated correctly. Doesn't 'ex' use the accusative? Or is it the ablative? Either way, I feel pretty confident in saying that it's not the genitive. Now, I know what you're thinking. You think that because you're trying to say "out of the star" that the "of the star" is the operative part, so you use the genitive of 'ae', but that's not right. Wait, 'stella' is first declension, right? Are you using the nominative plural? In any event, you're doing it wrong.
: Sir, my name is Agent Janin, I'm with the PokeAgents, I'm here on an investigation.
: I have the Stone. I must return.
: Not without some remedial Latin lessons, you don't!
: I must return.
: What are you doing here? Idle curiosity or something else?
: I must return.

: Oh, right. Trying to stop him would have been a good idea.
: If I'm not mistaken, that was one of the Star Temple monks. I believe they call themselves the Star Order. I don't like this. Something very fishy is going on. I would suggest we take a little visit to the Temple, Smasher.
: Okay, but those coins were stolen before Rocksworth and I got there!
: But first, let's check what he was looking for here.

: There are some files here...but the last one opened was..."fusion.txt".
: ...we should quit. Nothing good can come of this, Janin!
: That's weird. The file's timestamp is...from the future. Year 3030. But that's irrelevant. Let's read the contents. "At the Temple Altar ????x??? ???x??? and Pokemon return to being one and the same ????x!???? ????x?? with the Magician's blessing, Prototype of Myself will come to being ??x?? ???.x???? the loop will be closed. As for a guardian of the ceremony, I have sent to you my loyal friend ???x???two. Do not fail me ???x??? Ex Stellae Geminus." That's all there is to it. I can't decypher a single thing. But by the vague sound of it, I'd say something is bound to happen at the Temple soon. Let's head there, quickly!

: Really?

: Oh, I think I'll be passing quite easily.

: Like sheep to the slaughter.

: Puncher Z's gonna kill you.

: Puncher Z will kill you all!

: Bar my path, and be named among the fallen. The chosen of Proto Man shall not fail here.

: So be it. May you find mercy in the hereafter.

: I'm not sure what that is. But it's time for all-purpose contingency plan B!

: Go ace.

: Thanks for that timely backup.
: You seek to force your way through, but know this: Only the chosen ones can find their way through the Labyrinth of Stars. Others will be lost forever within its infinite chambers.
: Labyrinth of Stars? Whatever. I'm usually a very patient man, but the behavior of your members in this matter really sets me off. Come on, let's go, Smasher!
: BLUES drat IT!

Games of the Week

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Guys, I'm going to level with all of you. You might think that the end of the season is the hardest part for me in terms of making these updates, and it's not easy, but, no, these last few updates right before the tag team tournament? They're the real killers.

The last updates of a season are generally pretty okay, because you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's not that hard to will yourself on when you only have a few updates left. If you can look at the schedule and say, "I'm going to be done with this thing in a week," then you can push through it.

Week 13? In Week 13, you still have 13 more regular season updates to go. It's hard to write about baseball, in any form, for 13 straight updates, and that's only considering the 13 updates in this season. We're in Season 29.

And then, you have the problem of one of the toughest updates to write falling at the beginning of a holiday weekend, when there is nothing I want to do less than squeeze my mind brain to make the words come out.

That last sentence is what happens when I squeeze my mind brain too much.

In any event, if today's update is a bit shorter than usual, that's the reason.

Don May posted:

MERCILESS HULKAMATT DELAYS VACATION WITH 8-7 WIN OVER KILLER MIKES

Akabira- Does HulkaMatt have any sense of compassion at all?

That was the primary question asked by reporters after today's game, when the Kobe Crows, in brutal fashion, horrifically delayed everyone's Labor Day holiday with a disgraceful performance in today's game.

Down 6-4 in the top of the ninth, with two outs and the tying run at the plate, all HulkaMatt needed to do was order Oscar Charleston to make a quick out and end the game, allowing everyone to begin their vacation. Instead, HulkaMatt, in an act of treachery against the very concept of decency, told Oscar Charleston to win the game, leading to a two-run home run to tie the game, and then a follow-on home run from Stan Musial to give the Crows the lead.

If that weren't bad enough, the Crows then failed to finish the job in the bottom of the ninth inning, as Mariano Rivera, who is most notable, in the real world, for his epic collapse in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, performed an echo of that shameful outing, allowing the Killer Mikes to tie the game 7-7, forcing extra innings, and thus further delaying everyone's vacation.

Of course, even that was not enough suffering for HulkaMatt, who seemed to delight in creating new depths of misery, and so the tenth, eleventh and twelfth innings all went by with nary a run scored, forcing reporters to sit in agonized silence as they watched their hard-earned vacation slip by, minute-by-minute. Only in the 13th inning, when HulkaMatt must have felt sastified with the pain he had caused did he allow his team to score the go-ahead run that ended up winning the game.

Afterwards, HulkaMatt seemed confused with the anger he received, "I can't control when the game ends! That's up to my players. All I can do is encourage them to do their best!" He defended his actions. "And, I want to be clear on something: Mariano Rivera is the best reliever of all-time. Saying that he is most famous for blowing Game 7 of the 2001 World Series is unfair." A reporter asked if HulkaMatt was denying that Mariano Rivera blew Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. "No, I'm not denying that, it was, you know, sometimes, things just happen. It's not like Babe Ruth hits a home run every time he bats, even the best reliever will blow a save now and then."

The reporters then consulted historical records and found out that, in fact, Mariano Rivera had never successfully saved a Game 7 of any World Series. They then asked HulkaMatt if he, knowing that, under pressure, Rivera always buckled, had intentionally allowed the Killer Mikes to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth. "Hold on, Mariano Rivera is a hall of famer! You can't just stand here and tell me he's not good! He's good!" Fact-checking ensued, and it was brought to HulkaMatt's attention that, in fact, Mariano Rivera is a supporter of Donald Trump. That took HulkaMatt aback, as he found it hard to defend the indefensible. "Okay, listen, okay." He said, sputtering as he tried to find the words, "I'm not saying that the Mariano Rivera of today is a good person. But, listen, the Mariano Rivera of the past was not obviously evil, and that is the Mariano Rivera that is on my team. I did nothing wrong, okay! I'm not supporting Trump! I'm from New York! Okay, I know that Trump is from New York, too, but everyone in New York hates him. Except upstate New York, but upstate New York shouldn't count against us! And yes, I know we elected Giulani and Bloomberg for a combined five times, but New York isn't that bad! We didn't create Tom Brady. And, and-" HulkaMatt tried to find some momentum, "New York City did everything in its power to forestall the rise of Bill Simmons. We stopped him in 2003, and we tried our absolute best to beat him in 2004! None of this is my fault! NOTHING IS MY FAULT!"

GAME NOTES

-Holy gently caress, it's Labor Day weekend, give a break, guys!

After a game like this, maybe Frankie Frisch taking some time off isn't the worst thing.

W's!

Sub-K[n]uck is far more powerful than I ever thought possible! BEHOLD WHAT I HAVE CREATED IN THE NAME OF EXPLORING NEW FRONTIERS OF HUMAN EXPERIENCE!

BEHOLD, drat YOU!

Team Statistics

Standings

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Akabira Killer Mikes

Send Drysdale down to AAA, put Tom Seaver in his #5 spot.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Sub-Par League Week 13 Injury Report: In Retrospect, Should Be Thankful I Was Working During Canucks/Knights Game 7

Center Line Artillery
Jon Lester (It's just kinda funny at this point tbh) - 19 days

INSERT TEAM NAME HERE
Joe Smith (Oh no, Joe!) - 14 days

Mexico City Machine Guns
Cy Falkenberg (Sorry) - 16 days

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Since we're going to Akabira this week, put McGraw in at DH.
DL Williams and call up Mantle

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

given we need tag teams, I guess the red pandas will team with the propane again

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Let's clean up a bit.

New pitching staff (only changed spots listed):

SP1: Jim Devlin
SP4: Al Orth

CL: Jonathan Papelbon
SU: Rob Dibble
SR1: Mariano Rivera
SR2: Craig Kimbrel
MR: Former SP4 Jim McCormick
LR: Former SP1 Bobby Mathews

New lineup (vs. both types of pitcher):

#1: Mike Schmidt, 3B
#2: Ryne Sandberg, 2B
#3: Gabby Hartnett, C
#4: Frank Thomas, 1B
#5: Frank Robinson with .345 OBP, LF
#6: Gary Sheffield, RF
#7: Frank Robinson with .388 OBP, DH
#8: Ernie Banks, SS
#9: Willie Mays, CF

Bench:

Mike Piazza, C
Ron Santo, 3B
Ed Delahanty, OF
Troy Tulowitzki, SS
Jeff Kent, IF

Personal catcher orders:

Mike Piazza is personal catcher for the SP3 and the SP4, nobody else.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
My pick is coming up and I'm willing to package this pick and the other pick that, of course, is too low in round 2 for a left handed pitcher that's slightly better than Slim Sallee and Thornton Lee, I guess.

Maybe I will settle for a CF or RF

Armitage fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 6, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Well poo poo.

Madbum down, bring up the Johan in his spot

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Welp. Buddy Myer takes over against RHP for Gehringer. Also swap Dickey with Berra in all lineups (for now). Ecks takes over for Perranoski. Swap Lefty Grove in the rotation with Mordecai Brown.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

George Grantham to bench... Roy Thomas takes his spot. Arky Vaughan to bench, Vern Stephens takes his spot. Paul Waner to bench, Bob Elliott takes his spot.

Thanks

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Play Hornsby at 2B, move Lajoie down to the bench. Thanks.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Joe Jackson to LF, Frank Robinson to bench. George Sisler hits 6th in lineup, Joe Jackson goes back to 1st.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Landers select 1935 Joe Cronin.

Gritty's Chosen, The Metropolitans, and the Arlen Propane Sellers are all now eligible to pick.

Please insert Cronin for Trammell in all lineups; Trammell to the minors.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I need to rest some people I guess.

Scott Rolen fulltime 3B
Omar Vizquel fulltime SS
Send down Ernie Banks, call up Benny Kauff and make Kauff fulltime CF

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League XXIX, Week 14 Injury Report

Akabira Killer Mikes
Cole Hamels (SP) (Stop! Hamels time?) - 30 days

Khartoum Doom
Rube Waddell (SP) (FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE!) - 466 days

Omaha Forgettables
Larry Walker (RF) (Act of G-D) - 149 days

Rochester Generics
Trevor Hoffman (RP) (CRISIS CROSSOVER!) - 15 days
Johnny Hopp (OF) (Bunny problems) - 8 days

Winnipeg Monarchs
Wade Boggs (3B) (Amuro Ray!) - 52 days

Pick 'em: Presented by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers

Omni-Titles
South Bolton Eazy W's (c) @ Portland Panderers

Raleigh Red Pandas (c) @ World Warriors

Los Angeles Misanthropes (c) @ Orion X-Men

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

champs retain

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Champs retain! yeah!

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pickem champs retain

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Khartoum Doom
Rube Waddell (SP) (FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE!) - 466 days

loving brutal.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

champs retain

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Champs Retain.

DangitBobby
Aug 23, 2018

propane draft 1951 yogi Berra. Send down the Berra currently in the lineup so the new Berra can take his place.

double Berra double power.

DangitBobby
Aug 23, 2018

TheFlyingLlama posted:

given we need tag teams, I guess the red pandas will team with the propane again

also will be doing this

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
whoopsie daisy didnt know i was up but the survivors draft 1949 jackie robinson thank u next

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
also Champs Retain

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------