Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ugh, bad scenes this morning.

Had a Turkish couple turn up at our door trying to take Rosa. These are the people who underfed her (she was dangerously underweight when she turned up at our door), didn’t bother to spay or neuter her even after she hit puberty and waited for a month before coming after her.

Sadly my wife panicked and claimed we no longer had her when she answered the door.. which was spoiled by her pulling an escape artist act. Had to turn up and be very loomy to calm things down. Explained to them that if they had been in touch within two weeks as our vet advised, then there would be no problem but that she was now microchipped, spayed, registered and most importantly bonded to us and that they could jog on. Eventually they left but my wife is hugely upset (she’s also had to go on meds for depression+anxiety recently, so that’s a whole thing as well) and convinced that they’re going to try and hurt our boys or do something to the house or car.

These people were one of the doors we checked on when Rosa first turned up, and are well known for always having lots of kittens and other animals that mysteriously vanish. Given Rosa was half starved and unspayed there is absolutely no way that I’ll be returning her to that living situation.

Legally I’m told there is no ‘ownership’ of cats except as defined by a microchip- which she didn’t have until it was installed on our say-so. Any legal types think this to be accurate?

As for the other concerns, well my ex-cop housemate is posted up in his room at the front with an air-rifle by the window in case of attacks, and the whole area is covered by CCTV. So I’m really not worried, but my wife /is/ and I have no idea how to calm her fears.

Edit: after talking to our neighbour whose parents live next door to them.. apparently this couple have multiple pets at a time that tend to die off and get replaced- they’ve had the rspca called on them before multiple times. Even more convinced I’m doing the right thing now.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^a colleague in my old office had a couple of cases involving "theft" of pets, iirc, pets are essentially chattels like any other & can be "stolen", but basically they have about zero chance of enforcing that even without the chip (& with throwing a bunch of money at it), so yeah you're p much safe imo. Sorry to hear you went through that, must have been stressful. Well done though, keeping kitty safe & loved is all that really matters here :)

All today's hangover talk inspired me to make a prairie oyster to get back in the game in time for d&d. Would very strongly not recommend, and then even more strongly recommend immediately after

Stir the brandy until ice cold & use extra hot sauce imo. poo poo works

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 5, 2020

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think the big difference is between iBUprofen and ibuPROfen

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Jakabite posted:

Iboofrun round here

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Camrath posted:

Legally I’m told there is no ‘ownership’ of cats except as defined by a microchip- which she didn’t have until it was installed on our say-so. Any legal types think this to be accurate?

As I understand it, dogs belong to an owner whereas cats are essentially considered wild and don't belong to anyone. It's why if you hit a dog in your car there's a legal responsibility to report it to the owner, whereas with a cat there's no such requirement. I've not heard the microchip bit, but I think they'd find it hard to prove they owned the kitten as I'd bet they hadn't registered her with a vet.

Jakabite posted:

That’s the reaction I tend to get with the Mars thing but honestly I’m surprised I’ve never found anyone who made the same mistake. I guess I’ve just never had sufficient nougat in my life to realise the stuff in mars bars isn’t unique to mars bars.

Milky Ways used to have the same nougat in as Mars Bars, but no caramel, but then they changed them to that awful white fluffy crap and ruined them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lungboy posted:

cats are essentially considered wild and don't belong to anyone
I am 99% sure that this is definitely not true (but, as per my previous post, it doesn't make a lot of difference in practice)

e: also, wild animals generally belong to the landowner

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Borrovan posted:

I am 99% sure that this is definitely not true (but, as per my previous post, it doesn't make a lot of difference in practice)

That’s basically what the vet told us when we took her in to check for a chip when she first appeared, but I’ll trust a barrister (iirc) over a vet for legal matters (and a vet over a barrister if I need to do repairs on a pet lol).

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You are entirely in the right Camrath. Stand your ground and loom.
Your new kitty is a family member! I get steaming rage like nothing else with animal abusers.
Solidarity to your wife feeling scared, I'm the same with conflict but in this case it's necessary!

E: as I edited grammar one of my kittens came and sneezed all over my phone screen.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Mebh posted:

Your new kitty is a family member! I get steaming rage like nothing else with animal abusers.
Solidarity to your wife feeling scared, I'm the same with conflict but in this case it's necessary!

E: as I edited grammar one of my kittens came and sneezed all over my phone screen.

You are now required to post the kitten.

Also thank you to everyone for kind words and good advice. Here’s the little madam herself to show her appreciation.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not a barrister by any stretch! I teach at a law school & used to work at a law firm is all

Still think you're safe though, apparently my old department had a fair few "pet theft" cases over the years in addition to the ones I saw, and none of them came to anything

Mebh posted:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Moral good trumps letter of the law regardless. Well played Camrath. Now feed it loads of fudge. Cats love fudge and it’s good for them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My hangover cure used to be these massive wedge sandwich thingies Tesco did - they were a big thick triangle of bread with cheese and salad in the middle (or was it a ploughmans?), it was probably about a third of a loaf of normal bread - plus ready-salted hula hoops and a big strawberry or banana milkshake.

I figured the bread would soak up some of the alcohol (probably no basis for this), salt and carbs to help with electrolytes and energy, and fatty milkshake to settle the stomach and also rehydrate.

Dunno if the science is sound but it did always make me feel better. Thankfully haven't really had a proper hangover in the last 7 or 8 years - I've calmed down a bit since meeting my wife - for the best.

In more serious posting, I just found out my Mum has cancer. Ovarian cancer that they think has spread to her liver, and possibly her bowel. She said she's been in bed for a month with no appetite. She just found out on Wednesday - I don't know if she held off getting a doctor's appointment because of covid or what - she'd been shielding because she's been a smoker for 45 years (though switched to vaping for the last 5 or something years) and has had pneumonia requiring hospitalisation a couple of times in the past. She's 67 in a few weeks so not terribly old. She's getting an MRI scan on Wednesday and will know more then, but obviously news so far is not encouraging.

My wife's Dad just got treatment for cancer recently - bowel cancer which thankfully they found really early on. He had some radiotherapy which didn't work and then had to have a section of bowel removed and a stoma put in. I think we got really lucky with the timing there because it was all right before covid - his operation was already scheduled before lockdown started and carried out a few weeks after. He seems to be doing OK.

It's poo poo. Proper poo poo. Don't think I'm gonna realistically be able to get back to see her because there's a 2-week quarantine rule in both Canada and the UK plus just generally I don't want to risk getting covid or spreading it to other people. I've been trying to prepare myself for my parents getting sick for a while now, because like I said, they're lifelong smokers, but I don't think it's helped.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That sucks WhatEvil. I hope you can manage to see her soon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Condolences WhatEvil. There's no amount of prep that will make something like that not feel like poo poo. e: vvv yes, very much that.

Borrovan posted:

I think it's a popular belief because you have legal responsibilities for dogs (and cattle, horses, sheep) that you don't with cats under the Animals Act and others, because even the strictest jurist is resigned to the fact that if a cat wants to poo poo somewhere or knock something off of something else then it will. All of them are considered chattels though afaik.

There's a strange conflict there, because a cat owner does have an obligation to stop their property from causing harm or damage, like with any other property they own, but under the Animal Welfare Act they also have a responsibility to allow a cat access to normal patterns of behaviour, so keeping a cat indoors in unsuitable accommodation would be animal cruelty, which implies that cats have a right to access the natural environment. I suppose that nobody wants to get too litigious over a bit of cat poo poo stops it coming to too much of a head.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 5, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you've got a good support network over there.

& in case you need reminding, it is always okay to feel sad, your feelings are valid, and it is important that you take care of yourself. Easy to forget that when you're too busy worrying about others.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How do you say it? I say "Ib - you - pro - fen"

What about Ikea? Everyone I know says "Eye-kia" but on the tv ad he says "ee-kay-ya"

I think it's ee-bew-pro-fen and ee-ke-yah.

I'm fairly certain about the latter at least, I got some very strange looks when I asked a taxi driver to take me to "ikea" when I was in my first year at uni and not quite aware of how the UK pronunciation is.

Also I didn't know it's "Jal-a-pee-nos" in the UK. Except when not. It's a guess which one to use depending on who you're talking to.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 5, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure who's worse, the people that flatly anglicize everything like 'jal-a-pee-no' and 'gill-o-teen' and 'horses doofers' or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
ee-kay-ya is the Swedish pronunciation which they use in adverts at the moment to show off their Swedishness, but they did use to say "eye-kee-ya" in their old adverts

e: i suppose to be really genuine they should use a Dutch pronunciation, as that's where they're registered for tax reasons. as a charity.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 5, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Angepain posted:

ee-kay-ya is the Swedish pronunciation which they use in adverts at the moment to show off their Swedishness, but they did use to say "eye-kee-ya" in their old adverts

e: i suppose to be really genuine they should use a Dutch pronunciation, as that's where they're registered for tax reasons. as a charity.

I still think it's not kay but just ke (or KEH), and then yah. But I guess it works as a transcription either way, internet says both when googling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFVAVY37nI4

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camrath posted:

She's not a kitten anymore but I still call her that:

Here's the day I first met her and she came over out of her litter and put a paw on me, then demanded to play:

This tradition continues to this day.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

justcola posted:

I like to imagine how I'd fare if I travelled back in time and how to use my knowledge to survive, particularly as I have no relevant skills to the Medieval period and my way of speaking English would sound bizarre. I think I would end up an urchin.

When John Simm went back in time to the 70s, he invented chicken in a basket.

In Crusader King’s Iii, one of the High level ‘scholar’ lifestyle perks you can earn with a few decades of focus is called ‘washing your hands’.

What I am saying is the bar is not particularly high.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure who's worse, the people that flatly anglicize everything like 'jal-a-pee-no' and 'gill-o-teen' and 'horses doofers' or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

I'm using about half of those, if not so insanely exaggerated. Err. I'm a foreign though? I hope that absolves me a bit?

In fact I'm not sure how you pronounce faux-pas, strudel, conquistador or linguini anglicised tbh. And come on, croissant (whith croi instead of cross), tapas (instead of tapass) and bruschetta (with -sket- instead of -shet-) isn't that weird surely.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Condolences WhatEvil, that really sucks, it's the nightmare scenario your loved ones getting ill when you can't see them. Hope you manage to safely somehow.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

Stress patterns can be So important. I waited an hour under the boiling hot midday sun near the Pyramids for a microbus (minibus takes about 15 people or 35 if it's the last one and people crowd surf) to take me to RAMzees main train station with Egyptians watching from across the road with the words "What is the khwaga magnoona* doing now" in big thought bubbles over their heads. But none came. On the other hand I was bemused by the sheer number of microbuses going to someplace which the door-hanger-outers were calling out "ZEES".

"Where is this Zees place?" I thought to myself, "It's obviously really important because there are zillions of buses going there, but I never heard of it."
Eventually, a kind soul took pity on me and asked where I was going, "RAMzees" I said. And to my amazement he flagged the next microbus for Zees. "But where's that?" "rmZEES where you want to go!"

*crazy foreigner

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 5, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

In more serious posting, I just found out my Mum has cancer. Ovarian cancer that they think has spread to her liver, and possibly her bowel. She said she's been in bed for a month with no appetite. She just found out on Wednesday - I don't know if she held off getting a doctor's appointment because of covid or what - she'd been shielding because she's been a smoker for 45 years (though switched to vaping for the last 5 or something years) and has had pneumonia requiring hospitalisation a couple of times in the past. She's 67 in a few weeks so not terribly old. She's getting an MRI scan on Wednesday and will know more then, but obviously news so far is not encouraging.

It's poo poo. Proper poo poo. Don't think I'm gonna realistically be able to get back to see her because there's a 2-week quarantine rule in both Canada and the UK plus just generally I don't want to risk getting covid or spreading it to other people. I've been trying to prepare myself for my parents getting sick for a while now, because like I said, they're lifelong smokers, but I don't think it's helped.

Very sorry to hear that Whatevil, terribly sad that you can't get over.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Private Speech posted:

I'm using about half of those, if not so insanely exaggerated. Err. I'm a foreign though? I hope that absolves me a bit?

In fact I'm not sure how you pronounce faux-pas, strudel, conquistador or linguini anglicised tbh. And come on, croissant (whith croi instead of cross), tapas (instead of tapass) and bruschetta (with -sket- instead of -shet-) isn't that weird surely.

Fox's paw, rhymes with cuddle, con-kwee-sta-dor

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm sorry too whatevil, can't imagine how terrible that must be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

In Crusader King’s Iii, one of the High level ‘scholar’ lifestyle perks you can earn with a few decades of focus is called ‘washing your hands’.

I guess it depends where you end up too. Like everyone assumes that 'going back to the medieval period' means you end up in some Merrie England type thing with knights and jousting and poo poo, and I'm very confident that I'd die of dysentery within the week surrounded by people I couldn't understand.

But if I ended up in Lebanon at the height of the Caliphate, that'd be a different story. They had reasonably clean water and washed their hands, and during prosperous times were reasonably tolerant of weird foreigners as long as you didn't insult Islam or make an enemy of the Caliph, so I could hopefully do like Jaeluni Asjil and get by on as-salamu alaykum and falafel and inshallah and the other one for a while until I could pick up more on what specific dialect they spoke around there at the time.

I might even get to meet cool alchemists and poets, or at least do better than making GBS threads my pants and dying.

Private Speech posted:

Yeah, I think using the actual pronunciations is better as long as you're not ridiculous about it. Better than just flatly anglicizing over everything like con-KWIS-tah-door.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Private Speech posted:

americans are typically less receptive to americans pronouncing in a foreign manner - as travel is so comparatively expensive being able to pronounce european words in particular to signify you have traveled is seen as very pretentious. look at me i can afford italian vacations and as such i can say things like an rear end in a top hat. of course some americans are less receptive to anyone speaking in a foreign manner and hey they got trump.

in the UK there's an absolute ton more exposure to europe - amsterdam is literally cheaper to get to than london. everyone, even the most gammon, takes advantage of places like spain and cyprus for holidays - even working class people or schools can afford to send students to a foreign country and language. roughly half of the UK's population considers themselves european, or did, and as such we are much more receptive to continental touches. of course some brits are less receptive to anyone speaking in a foreign manner and hey we got brexit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

radmonger posted:

People in the middle ages washed their hands all the time :colbert:

quote:

Contrary to the popular belief that people in the Middle Ages were disgustingly smelly and dirty, medieval people frequently washed their hands, usually on rising and before and after meals. This was not just a case of good manners; they were well aware of the link between dirt and illness. Consequently, the 14th-century surgeon John of Arderne required prospective apprentices to have “clene handes and wele shapen nailes…clensed fro all blaknes and filthe”. Hand-washing mattered because it was seen to remove both external dirt and harmful bodily excretions.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i guess you don't necessarily need the idea of germ theory to not want poo poo on your hands or food

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

You can now be 100% sure, I was entirely wrong. One of those urban myths I must have picked up along the way.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

You're good people Camrath.

And I've eaten far too much of your wonderful fudge today.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Also thank you to everyone for kind words and good advice. Here’s the little madam herself to show her appreciation.

Mebh posted:

She's not a kitten anymore but I still call her that:

Here's the day I first met her and she came over out of her litter and put a paw on me, then demanded to play:

This tradition continues to this day.

These are both marvellous cats.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Once in a while the Americans get it right. Nothing will excuse the way they pronounce buoy or clique, though.

IIRC they pronounce buoy as Boo-eey, how do they pronouce clique? Cli-queue? Clickee?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angrymog posted:

IIRC they pronounce buoy as Boo-eey, how do they pronouce clique? Cli-queue? Clickee?

as in "click"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Also: niche.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1302353607464022017?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

“The government treats asylum seekers how they would treat normal people if they could get away with it.”

She seems good to me, please nobody milkshake duck.