Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Shooting Blanks posted:

like almost every new brewery that's popped up in Houston over the past decade or so, they certainly had some growing pains.

Have generally liked most of what I've tried from Eureka South, and hearing some good things about New Magnolia who is also in that neighborhood and it will be nice for Houston to have a good lager focused brewery

Sigma is the only brewery where I've been so put off after taking a sip of a beer, to the point where I closed my tab, then discreetly walked into the bathroom to dump my beer and leave.

Also totally unimpressed with places like Ingenious, B52, and Urban South (who I believe was opened by former B52 staff) that are just cranking out bad haze and fermented fruit juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

vivat virtute posted:

Cigar City 'aged' a Berliner on Skittles, and it was loving delicious
TBBC did one too, it was decent. I think it was called Taste the Rainbow B****!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Founders apparently makes a marzen now and I'm the sucker the broke my "gently caress Founders" rule to buy some.

Also it was a 15-pack at $1 less than the Bell's 12-pack. I am weak. :(

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^ <in Rick Ross voice> Mahou Money

picked up some marzen/festbier singles and so far it is: Ayinger > Paulaner/Hacker-Pschorr >>> Bitburger >>>>> Hofbrau

i normally like Hofbrau's fine, but i can't roll with diacetyl. Bitburger's is bad and has this weird, lingering something that i can't figure out, but that's the only reason i'm still drinking it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

^ <in Rick Ross voice> Mahou Money

picked up some marzen/festbier singles and so far it is: Ayinger > Paulaner/Hacker-Pschorr >>> Bitburger >>>>> Hofbrau

i normally like Hofbrau's fine, but i can't roll with diacetyl. Bitburger's is bad and has this weird, lingering something that i can't figure out, but that's the only reason i'm still drinking it.

Bitburger is crud, down there with Becks etc in the somehow bad German lagers.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

oh, i know that, but i'd never had their Oktoberfest and my German options for the mixed-six were pretty slim

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Opening a brewery during a pandemic this weekend. Lets see how this goes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kosher man posted:

Your best bet is just to name all your beers with COVID-related puns. It's the only way, really.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Choose a political side and lean into it. EZ money

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kosher man posted:

I'm in the early stages of writing a business plan for a bar, so I get it. This thing is going to end at some point, and a lot of bars will close in the meantime.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Picked up a pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, and holy hell its a crystal-malt bomb.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

Tbh there's so little taste it's hard to even call it bad. It's just there and I don't mind crushing it in the summer.

In other news, omnipollo goes all in on the Dry hop thingy.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bitburger owns and I will not hear any different.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Tbh there's so little taste it's hard to even call it bad. It's just there and I don't mind crushing it in the summer.

In other news, omnipollo goes all in on the Dry hop thingy.

It says a lot that this is barely in the top 10 dikbest beer concepts they've done.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fresh hop beers have hit the shelf, it’s the most blessed time of the year.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Well gently caress.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 5, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pretty sure this is a parody site.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Pretty sure this is a parody site.

https://thenordly.com/nordly/life-hack-declare-that-youre-running-against-ilhan-omar-to-have-the-gop-deposit-3-million-in-your-account

oh word

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It seems entertaining but it's no Hard Times

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/local-casket-distributor-offering-huge-back-to-school-savings/

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

hmm, Lisa Frank casket vs Ghanaian Fantasy Afterlife Vehicle...

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Need some help beer goons. Anyone seen 2018 Bigfoot on their shelves nearby? I'd gladly pay for it, shipping, and your troubles to complete this vertical. No idea how I missed it .

https://imgur.com/a/NePctHv

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 5, 2020

Zabba51
Aug 21, 2020

Idiot
This wonderful milkshak IPA come from Hana Koa. If you find yourself in Hawaii look them up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Bitburger owns and I will not hear any different.

:cheers:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Platform used to be so good but they got bought out by Bush and now they suck. Now my favorite Ohio breweries are probly Warped Wing, Dogberry, Rhinegeist and Jackie o's.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Platform used to be so good but they got bought out by Bush and now they suck. Now my favorite Ohio breweries are probly Warped Wing, Dogberry, Rhinegeist and Jackie o's.

Rhinegeist is trash. Masthead is head and shoulders better. Rhinegeist isn’t even a top 3 brewery in their own city.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Rhinegeist is trash. Masthead is head and shoulders better. Rhinegeist isn’t even a top 3 brewery in their own city.

As a cinci rez, hard disagree.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Listermann, Urban Artifact, Mad Tree, Wiedemanns, Tafts, all pitting our higher quality beer than the mass market Applebee’s IPAs Rhinegeist puts out.

I love the brewery itself. Great logo, great branding, obviously tons of investors behind that brand. But nothing I’ve ever had from them is memorable. It’s all just mediocre. It’s a grocery store brand.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Listermann, Urban Artifact, Mad Tree, Wiedemanns, Tafts, all pitting our higher quality beer than the mass market Applebee’s IPAs Rhinegeist puts out.

I love the brewery itself. Great logo, great branding, obviously tons of investors behind that brand. But nothing I’ve ever had from them is memorable. It’s all just mediocre. It’s a grocery store brand.

Have you been to their physical property?

I do really like tafts and urban artifact, But madtree is meh.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah when I say I like the brewery itself, I mean the physical location. It’s awesome. Beer is mediocre though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Agree to disagree, Have you been to Dogberry?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It sounds like McMenamin's model. Amazing properties but their beer, food and service tops out at a solid mediocre.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Nah Rhinegeist is good, I just drank a twelve pack of their IPA on vacation a couple weeks ago. I mean maybe its "grocery store" IPA but so is Two Hearted so who gives a poo poo it was tasty.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mahoning posted:

It’s a grocery store brand.

Oh come on dude, gently caress off with that poo poo. Grocery store tier is way better than what you deserve for that mentality.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I wish I could buy beer at a grocery store

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh come on dude, gently caress off with that poo poo. Grocery store tier is way better than what you deserve for that mentality.

As somebody that works in the beer industry, in Ohio, in grocery stores, I think I know what I’m talking about. It’s better than some other grocery store brands, but it’s not even a top 25 brewery in the state, let alone top 5.

I mean, from a business standpoint they basically bet the farm on being a grocery store brand, and it’s led to a lot of success for them financially. They even falsely manipulated chain scan data because they found a loophole where scan data registered simply by a UPC being scanned, not necessarily that transaction actually being finalized. So they sent in a bunch of people to carry beer up to the registers and basically ask for a price check but not actually buy it. That led to huge placements in the next beer department reset before Giant Eagle and/or Kroger caught on and changed the scan data process.

Ever since, they have a HUGE presence in grocery store beer sets. And again, good for them, they’re making tons of money at grocery store chains. But they don’t have anywhere near as large a presence at actual beer and wine shops or convenience stores where there’s no such thing as a beer set.

I know what I’m talking about when I call a brewery a “grocery store brand”, I’m not just flippantly making fun of them because I don’t like them.

Did you want to have this conversation or were you just interested in telling me to gently caress off because I accurately described a brewery’s business model?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Wow what a dick.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
What do we call convience store beer? 7-11 beer? Is that why i only see bud ice in 7-11s?!

Don't tempt me bud ice! I came for gas and lottery tickets ! Not you!

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 11, 2020

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Mahoning posted:

Did you want to have this conversation or were you just interested in telling me to gently caress off because I accurately described a brewery’s business model?

The problem is you saying they sell their beer in grocery stores like it's a derogatory thing. Basically every 50K+ bbl brewery sells most of their packaged beer in grocery stores because by volume that's where most packaged beer is sold. So to diss on "grocery store" brands is just some hipster whining. I mean I'm cool too I never enjoy beer from Bells, Sierra Nevada, Firestone Walker, Troegs, Deschutes, New Glarus, Odells, Allagash...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

The problem is you saying they sell their beer in grocery stores like it's a derogatory thing. Basically every 50K+ bbl brewery sells most of their packaged beer in grocery stores because by volume that's where most packaged beer is sold. So to diss on "grocery store" brands is just some hipster whining. I mean I'm cool too I never enjoy beer from Bells, Sierra Nevada, Firestone Walker, Troegs, Deschutes, New Glarus, Odells, Allagash...

All of those breweries you named are 20-30+ years old and slowly worked their way up by making awesome cutting edge craft beer at a time when there was basically no market for it.

Rhinegeist was started like 7 years ago by two dudebro consultants who did it simply because they saw a market opportunity. It’s a business venture for them, pure and simple, and it’s why they decided to go from relative obscurity to grocery store mainstay so quickly. It was the easiest way to make money quickly to pay off their investors.

Smaller (much better) breweries have to fight tooth and nail to get even a single placement in a grocery store set, and yet Rhinegeist manipulated IRI to their own benefit and basically skipped the line. That’s a lovely, scummy business practice. They’re essentially everything wrong with the business of craft beer, being a venture and an “idea” first and figuring out the beer later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ah ok, now I get your argument and agree.

Funky Buddha was like that and it was painfully obvious that they were in it for the money and not actually trying to make good things. Just like "instant sellouts" sounds a tiny bit less douchy than "grocery store tier"