Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
so after pottering about in the tutorial start and making a bunch of mistakes etc. I decided to try the Haesteinn start. I immediately raise my bonus starting armies, raid all my neighbours and then for a laugh wardec the king of brittany, immediately capture his queen and his heir in the first seige and suddenly I own all of the britannia start.

now this put me at 6 domains of my max at 3 so I clearly need to create some new vassals - however I can't seem to grant any baron titles - only titles for the full counties and if I do that they become independent of me because I am technically only a count myself. Is there any way I can make some of my courtiers barons instead of giving them entire counties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Warscore contribution is hosed up. My kids are set to inherit the Byzantine empire and there was a rebellion against the tyranny of the current Emperor which he was losing. I rolled in, captured the revolting dukes capital and liberated like 6 counties for the Emperor resulting in 100% warscore and victory.

My contribution to the war:

0%

Yeah I had this happen too, I think it might be an issue with intervening in a civil war.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's been a wild ride with my first game so far, beginning with a random little Bavarian baron who had 2-3 counties. I'm on my third or fourth generation of ruler now, and after my fat but ridiculously healthy previous leader had something like 6 or 7 daughters straight with no sons I desperately did all I could to boost his fertility and take random lovers in hopes of getting a bastard to have a decent male heir with non-terrible stats, made even more desperate because I had changed succession to male only, and then lucked into a bastard offspring at like age 64.

Now I'm nearing the end of that ruler's life and I've leaned into a family focus and let him pick up lustful, so he's got something like 6 bastard offspring waiting in the wings and he had four legitimate sons. The firstborn had good traits, including a decent combo of genetic traits which is something I'm focusing on, and then pretty quickly killed one of his brothers. Another male heir decided to randomly stab my half-sister at a party, and with my diplomacy I got to kill him without any penalties. That felt like a nice RP moment with the bastard king standing up for his family, some real Jon Snow stuff (this ruler also had a dog who I named Snow).

I'm still learning things as I go, but I'm up to four kingdoms formed total (though two are real tiny) and I think I've gotten there pretty quickly from my humble origins. I feel like forming the Holy Roman Empire is a good goal to work towards, and I'm probably roughly halfway to that already in terms of territory ruled. Also in a marriage that I can't believe they allowed my daughter should give birth to the heir to the Byzantine Empire while keeping them as part of my dynasty (matrilineal marriage), so that seems like it'll be super good for my renown.

Anyway, they've really tuned up the hell out of this from CK 2, and I hope the endless expansions don't bog things down with too much more complexity. There's still some little quality of life stuff I'd like (being able to toggle all the character options when I search through people would be nice). I'm really liking the lifestyle stuff, this latest ruler as the first time I've dug into the diplomacy options and they were just the perfect thing to expand my empire with, forcing wars to make vassals and being able to get some pretty big swaths of land to just agree to be my vassals because I'd befriend them and/or get a bit of a bonus to that.

Overall just an absolute out of the park home run. I'm looking forward to the next crusade for Jerusalem now that I think I've figured out a strategy to win it (basically try to occupy a bunch of territory in places way far off from Jerusalem before they win enough battles to hit 50%+ war score, and spread out my army into 3-4 groups to do that with. Being able to easily field probably 7k+ troops for the next one won't hurt either. I'll need to resist the temptation to try to just win a big fat battle around Jerusalem, because there's no way me and the rest of the Christians will be able to organize things enough to beat that big ol Jerusalem army deathball I keep seeing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Ah I don't think save scumming works with CK3, at least not the Game Pass version. My save game always reverts to the same date, and no amount of autosaves will update it. Presumably a CTD will also break your saves.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Is getting out of tribal government supposed yo he such a pain?

At the moment I have a huge White Rus' slavic state. The religion is reformed. The authority is tribal. I need 5 development in the capital and development does nothing for me but fine. But then I need *all* tribal advances?! 110 years into the game I've only researched 2 of those, and 2 of 3 of my characters were great scholars. Is there some way to make it easier apart from teaching my next ruler to speak French?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SubNat posted:

Ctrl-click. It even comes up in the tooltip for movement if you're trying to move an army that's gathering.

Nowadays I do a 'rally all troops' then instantly a couple thousand people come, and I just immediately send them marching, then do another rally, let that build up a couple k, then send them out as well.

It makes it a lot easier to both start up a bunch of armies all over the place, and easier to manage how many troops you're leveraging in a war.
No point in raising 20k troops to stomp someone who can only muster 2000, all you're hurting then is your wallet.

If you do this, all your men-at-arms and knights will end up in the first group, while everything else will be 100% levies, so don't try to fight stacks of similiar size with that

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Martout posted:

so after pottering about in the tutorial start and making a bunch of mistakes etc. I decided to try the Haesteinn start. I immediately raise my bonus starting armies, raid all my neighbours and then for a laugh wardec the king of brittany, immediately capture his queen and his heir in the first seige and suddenly I own all of the britannia start.

now this put me at 6 domains of my max at 3 so I clearly need to create some new vassals - however I can't seem to grant any baron titles - only titles for the full counties and if I do that they become independent of me because I am technically only a count myself. Is there any way I can make some of my courtiers barons instead of giving them entire counties?

Can you create any new higher-tier titles? If you own all of Britannia then you should be able to make yourself a duke at least, and then you can have the other counts under you. I don't think you can give away baronies anymore, or if you can I don't know how.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Martout posted:

Take a trip to Canterbury get yourself enough gold to create the duchy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there possibly a trigger that's bugged, I've been stuck at this state for a year now

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
border gore nws

exclave independence doesnt seem to work too well

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Go into game and do character search for female rulers and sort by rank. In 867 there's seven:
Nelnesla, a duke in Tibet
Anava, Pemka, and Yalgava are finnic pagans
Sarica is a Bashkir Tengrist
Daurama is the Hausa chieftess of Kano
and Audr is the christian chieftess of Vestisland in Iceland

In 1066 there's a bunch so I'm not gonna list em.
Didn't see this post until someone quoted it down thread. Thanks for the reply.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Wooper posted:

exclave independence doesnt seem to work too well

Turn it up a notch in the settings.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tamba posted:

If you do this, all your men-at-arms and knights will end up in the first group, while everything else will be 100% levies, so don't try to fight stacks of similiar size with that

Yeah, the first wave I always use as the sledgehammer, while the additional ones are only really for sieging and support. Depending on the war I'll even them out over time if needed.

Also ugh:

I really hope one of the small post-lauch fixes either moves the siege icon away a bit, or has it render under the battle.

I often go 'oh poo poo, they have 5000 units?'
no, they have ~500.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Is there a discord or something for goons playing this stuff?

I finished the tutorial and did a fresh start as the Duke of Munster. I’m finding that a bunch of things aren’t clicking.

I mean, I’m the King of Ireland but I’m only pulling like 4 gold a month, which doesn’t seem right.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

wizardofloneliness posted:

Can you create any new higher-tier titles? If you own all of Britannia then you should be able to make yourself a duke at least, and then you can have the other counts under you. I don't think you can give away baronies anymore, or if you can I don't know how.

oh poo poo I see now what happened, some rear end in a top hat from Wessex captured Leon just days before I claimed the rest of britannia and that's what's keeping me from the title of duke

edit: so I found the right menu to do it but I can create the duchy and in the process get the de jure claim for leon, excellent

Martout fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So every time I die, my dynasty gets owned - seemingly regardless of succession laws. With Primogeniture being such a late game development, and the fact that I lose dynasty head/my main territory half the time I die, how am I supposed to consistently advance in this map painting simulator?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So every time I die, my dynasty gets owned - seemingly regardless of succession laws. With Primogeniture being such a late game development, and the fact that I lose dynasty head/my main territory half the time I die, how am I supposed to consistently advance in this map painting simulator?

it's more of a role playing game than a map painting simulator, I think?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just your normal Crusader Kings things.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there possibly a trigger that's bugged, I've been stuck at this state for a year now

I'm pretty sure schemes that have been exposed can't fire

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

You can get out of confederate partition soon enough and as long as you keep only one of the highest level title your realm shouldn't split(?) I don't think. Your personal domain might split inside the realm, but that's just a reason to always keep expanding and to keep marrying in with your vassals.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Traxis posted:

They can (I've had an exposed abduction scheme fire), exposure just decreases their power/secrecy afaik.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

My court physician cured my bubonic plague by removing my face

GOTY

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On one hand, I am shy, and trying to befriend someone is like +35 stress.
On the other hand, every friend I make reduces stress gain by 5% -and- gives 2 random skill points. (Family Hiearch branch in diplomacy lifestyle.)

Befriend, get stressed, drink, befriend. Repeat until dead.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It seems like 3 counties and/or a duchy will prevent children from taking land upon your death. Other than that, you're only ever really guaranteed to get highest title and the county capitol. Everything else is a complete crapshoot, so it seems like it is worthwhile to concentrate on building baronies within your county capitol since there's no way to (easily) lose that county.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

All of a sudden I got a notification in my to do list thing that I can arrest my son/vassal for "attempting to murder a family member." But how on earth do I figure out who it was? It's not in my secrets or anything and I didn't get a notice from my spymaster, so I have no idea how I know about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

On one hand, I am shy, and trying to befriend someone is like +35 stress.
On the other hand, every friend I make reduces stress gain by 5% -and- gives 2 random skill points. (Family Hiearch branch in diplomacy lifestyle.)

Befriend, get stressed, drink, befriend. Repeat until dead.

Realistic depiction of an introvert tbh

cohsae posted:

All of a sudden I got a notification in my to do list thing that I can arrest my son/vassal for "attempting to murder a family member." But how on earth do I figure out who it was? It's not in my secrets or anything and I didn't get a notice from my spymaster, so I have no idea how I know about it.

I think this is because they attempted a murder plot and failed and were discovered. It's not in your secrets list because it's not a "secret", everyone found out about it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Martout posted:

oh poo poo I see now what happened, some rear end in a top hat from Wessex captured Leon just days before I claimed the rest of britannia and that's what's keeping me from the title of duke

edit: so I found the right menu to do it but I can create the duchy and in the process get the de jure claim for leon, excellent

and now this exploded my vassal limit, beginning to think I may have overextended!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

One thing I'm really liking is that going tall instead of wide is much more doable than in CK2, especially if you can prop up early economic development with raiding. Alliances, knights, and mercenaries can very quickly even out a pretty large power gap.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Only have one Kingdom so when Partition happens your player heir inherits the Kingdom and everyone has to bend the knee no matter what they end up with.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

I really don't know why the AI keep starting so many wars they can't possibly win. They actually have more soldiers now than they started with because they keep dragging their allies into this losing situation.

On a different note, what determines who is the dynasty head exactly?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent

I have to remember that Kanem-Bornu is mostly worthless desert on this map and my richer territories mean we're almost on equal footing, his military score is being propped up by distant alliances

Traxis posted:

Oh that seems stupid, why does it still continue to progress after exposure with lowered success chance?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did your capital get occupied at any point in the last 10 years? It may be possible that your son was taken prisoner by someone and then was recruited into that character's court.

No, my only thoughts is somebody had a kidnap scheme and vassalized him (doubtful as his liege is like 4 intrigue)

Or I speed clicked something bad, but no idea how he ended up a baron if I warded him off. Dunno how his liege would even be in the running as he was unrelated as far as I could tell. Maybe I warded to a cortiere with good stats that changed courts? I have no idea.

Hardly matters now, when I started warring England to take control of his county he mysterious died :iiam:

Probably for the better, he ended up with lovely stats anyhow

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I belive it simply has it's own system of succession if the head dies.
HOWEVER, if a House Head (aka either of the primary house, or one of the cadet branches.) is stronger, they'll get it after a bit.

So it goes
Your dude dies.
Dynasty head title fucks off to someone, and your control goes over to your heir.
Your Heir creates a cadet branch, is automatically head of it, and takes over the Dynasty Head role again after a few weeks if he's stronger than the current dynasty head.

It's kind of messy, and you can't create a new Cadet Branch if your house head is tribal.

It's also exceptionally annoying because in that 1-3 month span before you regain control of the Dynasty Head position, the AI is very likely to just buy an upgrade/legacy.
Which makes it very difficult to save up for the later picks. I've already had them waste over 5000 points on traits I wasn't going to pick, in one case buying a 2000-point trait, instead of waiting 5 more months and grabbing one of the 3000-point ones.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I really don't know why the AI keep starting so many wars they can't possibly win. They actually have more soldiers now than they started with because they keep dragging their allies into this losing situation.

Dynasty head is the most powerful house head (not sure how exactly "most powerful" is calculated but I think it's similar to powerful vassals where it looks at levies and income), but it only changes when the current dynasty head dies, so if someone eclipses them in power, they will still hold on to the position.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm facing an odd situation where my grandson is the only heir I have and his mother died as a guest in someone else's court. Seems that now I can't interact with my heir at all because he is a guest somewhere else, and also can't invite him back because he is a child, and I can't interact with his education menu or offer guardianship because that must be set by his employer, but no employer is listed. Basically my grandson is growing up feral.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well, the problem is, I'm emperor of Scandinavia and easily the most powerful person in my dynasty and have been for generations, but the title keeps getting passed down through that family - and I can't create cadet branches because the head's government doesn't allow it, whatever that means? I guess because we're all still filthy tribal savages.

Edit: To elaborate, this is me fresh after succession:

And the current house head is this dinky motherfucker, and the heir to the house is his son and it belonged to his dad before him:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 5, 2020

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

I'm facing an odd situation where my grandson is the only heir I have and his mother died as a guest in someone else's court. Seems that now I can't interact with my heir at all because he is a guest somewhere else, and also can't invite him back because he is a child, and I can't interact with his education menu or offer guardianship because that must be set by his employer, but no employer is listed. Basically my grandson is growing up feral.
debug_mode can be easily used to invite dudes back to court. i use it liberally in these sorts of circumstances. little reason to feel you're 'cheating.'

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

- and I can't create cadet branches because the head's government doesn't allow it, whatever that means? I guess because we're all still filthy tribal savages.

Yup. Gotta be feudal to get around that particular wrinkle.
I got around it once by conquering a castle and giving it to my house head, which immediately flipped him over to being feudal.
But that only really works in the fringe cases where you're in a position to give them a castle + they've only got a few tribal holdings and will happily swap their capital over to the castle immediately.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Playing as 800s Ireland. I've taken Essex, should I keep these more developed provinces for myself? Even move the capital there somehow? Or just give them away? I'm sitting at 12/5 on my domain limit lol..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
OK it just happened again to another one of my sons. Same loving county, same barony, thankfully this time it wasn't my heir but as before he isn't in my court anymore.

BUT i did figure out how it happened I sort of. Under his relationships tab it shows him as a guardian to a guest in said county's court. I never manually assigned a guardian to this son, it just automatically did this poo poo.

What the gently caress? Why did it automatically do this? A guardian runs off with my son to my biggest enemy, and that guy grants him a barony and locks him out of my court? Man gently caress this bitch she's getting a stabbing.

This is super loving annoying because I am divvying up recently conquered scotland to my sons and it keeps robbing them.