Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hexen, but good, is definitely something I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some of it looks kind of like what that Underworld Ascendant game was trying to do, but simplified.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Maybe it's the small tablet I'm using to look at those screenshots but graphically that game looks more like an actual, lovely old game than a modern game paying homage. I don't like it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I put a bunch of keys in the gifting thread but I kept Forager for a friend.

That jerk already played it, so enjoy!

3AAJ*-2EXLT-4AB7Y

The * tape is real

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flimf posted:

So this was just announced and looks interesting:

Graven, a "immersive sim heretic/hexen" from 3D realms.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371690/GRAVEN/

Developed by Slipgate Ironworks, whose other game on steam is, uh... Kingpin Reloaded?

Are any of these any good?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The rise of the triad remake is uhh acceptable...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is Spellbreak any good

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Zereth posted:

Developed by Slipgate Ironworks, whose other game on steam is, uh... Kingpin Reloaded?

Changed it, thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I want to get excited but 3DRealms is pretty much THE alt-right gaming company.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 5, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another promising one from 3D Realms' thing. An immersive sim except with good combat would be a treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAvdzQhPQc

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Mordja posted:

Another promising one from 3D Realms' thing. An immersive sim except with good combat would be a treat.

Yeah that also looks really good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

Love the sound design when you go under water on that, it looks rad

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also the first half hour of Graven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjeOih2CHA

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hexen 2 was an ImmSim?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
No, but it did have stuff like a basic inventory and instead of just collecting keys to progress you were solving sequences of environmental puzzles. It's just the closest comparison

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So what was the end consensus on those games? Heretic->Good, Hexen->Kind of bad actually, Hexen 2->Good, Heretic 2->???

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

So what was the end consensus on those games? Heretic->Good, Hexen->Kind of bad actually, Hexen 2->Good, Heretic 2->???

This is a good summary of how I personally feel about them with Heretic 2 being surprisingly dope. As a kid I loved them all and gravitated towards them a little more than doom/quake because I liked the fantasy theme. Hexen 1 is definitely the worst and aged terribly but the rest hold up imo

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

why? Because of Iron Fury?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Go to "Profile" under "You and Friends" in the menu, scroll all the way down to the bottom and it says in small print "View All Recently Played | Wishlist | Reviews"

It's there, and not that hard to get to once you know where it is, but every time I want to find it on iOS it takes me a few minutes of poking around to remember where it is. And its super dumb that it is not just right up front somewhere because I buy a ton of stuff on PC based on me checking my wishlist every so often and seeing what is on sale.

Haha thank you for this. I legit spent 10 min looking before I made that post and I actually checked that second I just didn’t scroll all the way to the bottom of that page because well... why tf would it be there ?

Now I know though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are so many far worse than 3DRealms.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I started playing my Rogue Archer in DA:I. Apparently Attributes go up automatically, at least I won't have to worry about that.

Which Ability path would you recommend if I want to make my guy OP?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, how is Death Stranding? Its currently 25% off and I'm thinking about getting it.

I am aware about who Kojima is, but I never played any of his games and I am completely ambivalent about all the hype surrounding him. However I watched a few short gameplay streams of Death Stranding and I have to say the whole "trekking through inhospitable but beautiful landscape and being hounded by weird, alien things" thing looks pretty cool and I am pretty interested in playing it. But the game is in a weird spot where it's cheap enough that I think about getting it, but not cheap enough where I will just say "gently caress it" and go in blind. So I have a few questions:

- How is the PC port?
- Keyboard + mouse or controller?
- How open-worldy it is? Can I just gently caress off and do my own thing for a few hours, with the game rewarding me for it, or do I have to rigidly follow the story?
- Does the whole courier game-play hold all the way through? Or are there segments where it turns into shooter/other genre?
- Anything else I should know about?

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 6, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I played it on PS4 so I can't comment on the port, but

Lt. Lizard posted:

- How open-worldy it is? Can I just gently caress off and do my own thing for a few hours, with the game rewarding me for it, or do I have to rigidly follow the story?
You can and will spend a ton of time doing optional side stuff, mostly in the form of optional deliveries (some of which lead to very good rewards) and building infrastructure once you're a few chapters in, which is oddly satisfying because it not only steadily makes the world easier to traverse, but also partially propagates into other players' worlds and helps them out in a kind of weird invisible co-op experience.

quote:

- Does the whole courier game-play hold all the way through? Or are there segments where it turns into shooter/other genre?
It does unfortunately turn into a fairly run-of-the-mill third person shooter for a few segments. They're not great, but they're a very small portion of the overall playtime.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

So, how is Death Stranding? Its currently 25% off and I'm thinking about getting it.

I am aware about who Kojima is, but I never played any of his games and I am completely ambivalent about all the hype surrounding him. However I watched a few short gameplay streams of Death Stranding and I have to say the whole "trekking through inhospitable but beautiful landscape and being hounded by weird, alien things" things looks pretty cool and I am pretty interested in playing. But the game is in a weird spot where it's cheap enough that I think about getting it, but not cheap enough where I will just say "gently caress it" and go in blind. So I have a few questions:

- How is the PC port?
- Keyboard + mouse or controller?
- Anything else I should know about?

I'm close to the end of the game and have done a lot of the optional stuff. 80 hours in and love it.

- really good. I have had 0 bugs, crashes, technical problems of any kind. It worked with my ps4 controller out of the box. Online has been up and worked perfectly every time I've played it. there's a lot of options and it mostly runs well for me, granted my standards are 60fps 1080p so I'd hope so. It's been a "it just works" experience with no fuckery of any kind.

- I have not actually tried mouse and keyboard, but I've definitely appreciated using a controller because you want to make a lot of finer movements in this game like not running at full speed or slight direction changes to get around terrain, etc.

- it's normally very open. Most of the game's story quests are just deliveries you do like any other, but to a new location. You can choose to do them whenever you want. The rest of the game is just doing deliveries wherever at your pace. It does take awhile for the game to open up though, the first several hours are a lot of cutscenes and a single story delivery to do at a time.

- It...mostly does. there are shootier bits. But 98% of the time you are not in life-threatening danger in this game. It's a small minority of the game.

Just give it a bit of time to open up. it adds mechanics and tools one at a time and the mechanics don't fully breathe until you get to the second area.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think I'll just follow this, people were saying Artificer was good:

https://dragoninquisition.com/rogue-builds/#Artificer_Archer_Build

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Phlegmish posted:

I think I'll just follow this, people were saying Artificer was good:

https://dragoninquisition.com/rogue-builds/#Artificer_Archer_Build

If following the guide is enjoyable then please do so, but you shouldn't shy away from playing it a bit fast and loose and just loving around with stuff that looks cool.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

haldolium posted:

why? Because of Iron Fury?

That and didn't they do something with Running with Scissors?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There are so many far worse than 3DRealms.

Any relevant companies?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

punk rebel ecks posted:

That and didn't they do something with Running with Scissors?

Any relevant companies?

THQ Nordic, who did an AMA on 8chan, for example

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ymgve posted:

3drealm's Realms deep thing is headlining RWS and the devs that did Hatred and that ISIS game* I'm not sure if 8chan ama is worse and it seems pointless to try and rank them.

and pretty much all the interesting fps game devs from the last few years are involved too soo....
Fwiw I dunno if 3DRealms are alt-right, maybe they just don't care too much about who they're working with and like money(which is still bad).

Edit:*Oh cool they're making a nazi soldier game now

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 6, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

Disgusting but I was under the impression that was "shock marketing" (not that it makes it okay).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

If following the guide is enjoyable then please do so, but you shouldn't shy away from playing it a bit fast and loose and just loving around with stuff that looks cool.

Sure. I was just assuming I'd have some points left over to play around with.

By the way, I'm really interested in the mod that disables loot animations, I have a feeling it'll save me a lot of time. Where did you guys get it? The game doesn't even seem to have a Workshop.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They all sound pretty bad

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Phlegmish posted:

Sure. I was just assuming I'd have some points left over to play around with.

By the way, I'm really interested in the mod that disables loot animations, I have a feeling it'll save me a lot of time. Where did you guys get it? The game doesn't even seem to have a Workshop.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/788

Anytime someone mentions mods outside the steam workshop (for any game), they're almost guaranteed to be on nexusmods.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i started alan wake after not having played it since the original release, and while the sound design is a mess and the character models are ghastly and the writing is clumsy and wake himself is an overbearing twerp, there are so many vistas in this game that make me go "i wish i was here. i wish i was here right now with a book and something cold to drink"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I beat Get Even today, a FPS/more-walking-sim-than-I'd-like with a very Inception story. It's got a bunch of different gameplay gimmicks, none of which work quite as well as they could, a neat little story, and some effectively blokey British voice acting. One of said gimmicks is the Cornergun, a gun that can shoot around corners, except the game doesn't really want you to shoot at all and would rather you did some middling stealth instead. I got the "bad" ending, on account of all my murders. Still, an interesting curio and thanks to Sini for giving me the key for it many months ago!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

i started alan wake after not having played it since the original release, and while the sound design is a mess and the character models are ghastly and the writing is clumsy and wake himself is an overbearing twerp, there are so many vistas in this game that make me go "i wish i was here. i wish i was here right now with a book and something cold to drink"
Protip on the DLC. The first one is the game at its worst, the second is the game at its best.

I've been thinking I should play American Nightmare before I play Control, actually. I hear it smooths out a lot of the original's edges? Is their more variety to it's combat too?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Protip on the DLC. The first one is the game at its worst, the second is the game at its best.

I've been thinking I should play American Nightmare before I play Control, actually. I hear it smooths out a lot of the original's edges? Is their more variety to it's combat too?

American Nightmare is pretty alright. More action heavy, but it also makes that action play a LOT better than it did in the original.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

American Nightmare is pretty alright. More action heavy, but it also makes that action play a LOT better than it did in the original.

Oh, I'm also seeing it's a lot shorter than I thought it was, I could knock that out in a day, easy.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh I see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wu4sdkzGQo

Everyone is doing it. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Were the Postal games ever even good or just notable due to their controversy and Gary Coleman?