Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I started doing some multiplayer today and... this game is ok? It's ok. I don't really like playing as anyone except Kamala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah I'm really struggling with Iron Man.
I'm still very early in the campaign, but I had to drop the game down to easy on his first solo mission in a city.
His melee doesn't have any AOE for when you are swarmed with enemies, his ranged attacks a fiddly to line up and shoot and going in and out of flying is really clunky and unintuitive.

His laser skill tree gives him some pretty good AoE melee heavies. Iron man is kind of poo poo until you unlock all three ranged options but they all give him a ton of options in melee, paradoxically.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah I'm really struggling with Iron Man.
I'm still very early in the campaign, but I had to drop the game down to easy on his first solo mission in a city.
His melee doesn't have any AOE for when you are swarmed with enemies, his ranged attacks a fiddly to line up and shoot and going in and out of flying is really clunky and unintuitive.

I switched from his repulsors to his rockets (right or left on dpad) and I found his rockets much better. Because most of the fodder enemies die in one rocket and he can fire one off relatively quickly. So I kinda just focused on his Rocket Tree in skills. That city mission, I think I died probably 15 times before I finished it, AND I had it crash when I was like 2 or 3 node destructions from finishing it.

But seriously, with the rockets you can just press Y/Triangle/whatever and he'll usually just pop a rocket at whatever is nearest and 1 shot it if it's a turret, drone or the lowest rank robot. It helped me brute force some of his missions when I hadn't geared him up yet or unlocked many skills.

Also the only AOE he has at the start is his RT/R2 timed counter, but that doesn't really help much because the enemies recover pretty quick, and it only works on nearby enemies so as soon as you do it you're probably already being shot with a rocket.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s also easy to forget you can fly if you don’t play as Iron Man or Thor much. Getting off the ground makes a huge difference when there’s a ton of fodder enemies swarming you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s also easy to forget you can fly if you don’t play as Iron Man or Thor much. Getting off the ground makes a huge difference when there’s a ton of fodder enemies swarming you.

But it does nothing against the 15 enemies sniping at you from offscreen.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It does help in a way, but it just also shows the issue with the ranged enemies. Their accuracy is like loving perfect. The mission where Tony flies through the canyon, even trying to take out turrets and using barrel roll as I fly through wasn't enough, I constantly just got blasted out of the sky. The game tells you a projectile is coming, but they move so fast and have such good tracking that reacting can be hard, especially if you just don't have great reactions or trouble taking in quick visual information.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

But it does nothing against the 15 enemies sniping at you from offscreen.

It’s better than being swarmed AND having enemies sniping from offscreen. The dodge window against ranged enemies really does need to be expanded, it feels like you need to get a perfect dodge or you get hit.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RubberLuffy posted:

The mission where Tony flies through the canyon, even trying to take out turrets and using barrel roll as I fly through wasn't enough, I constantly just got blasted out of the sky.

Yeah that mission was tragicomic. Badass guitar music is blasting, Jervis is urging you to do the Iron Man thing and fly through the canyon... and you're getting blasted out of the sky every 3 seconds by turbo-accurate turrets. Then you get to the end and unless you figure out to fly straight up the moment you get out of the canyon, you're one-shot by flying rocks (which didn't hurt you until then).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I keep wanting to play this like the Ultimate Alliance games or a DMC and just wade into a group of enemies and mash buttons, but I have more success trying to pick off a few guys at a time. I feel like this game can really open up in multiplayer when you can have your ranged heroes like Iron Man pick off turrets and have melee heroes like Hulk worry about the big enemies and get through fights faster. Either way, the game is fun enough to keep my attention for a few months.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Levels really feel like they matter, too - a lot of each characters most defining abilities are all locked behind later tiers of skills. I hated Captain America at first because I was just getting the poo poo beat out of me, but now that I got him to like 15 and filled out his ranged attack and assault skill tees, he’s a monster. I barely melee, I just kill groups of enemies with shield tosses. You can clear entire areas of turrets with one ricochet throw, it’s nuts. It’s an incredibly active play style, too, once you pick up the “hit R2 at the right time to kick/toss your shield back out” skills.

Also you have to start thinking about stats in mid-game. Ranged characters stacking precision (and resilience for defense) makes a huge difference.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

I keep wanting to play this like the Ultimate Alliance games or a DMC and just wade into a group of enemies and mash buttons, but I have more success trying to pick off a few guys at a time. I feel like this game can really open up in multiplayer when you can have your ranged heroes like Iron Man pick off turrets and have melee heroes like Hulk worry about the big enemies and get through fights faster. Either way, the game is fun enough to keep my attention for a few months.

God this game would be so much better with Combo attacks like the old ARPGs had. Can you imagine Hulk using like Thunderclap and Kamala using High Five but it is now a combo where Kamala high fives Hulk and obliterates the world.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dodging rockets is a little tough because you have to wait until they're almost on you, but also if you keep moving most of the time turrets and lasers won't catch up to you. The canyon sequence I didn't get hit since I just kept blasting forward and didn't try to shoot anything. Turrets are especially slow. The adaptiods and their quick lasers are really the only thing that I think constantly hit me.

And if you're getting swarmed, that's your cue to either get the hell out of dodge or pop one of your specials. Unfortunately Iron Man's Unibeam isn't that great and the field needs some upgrades before it really shines, so you're better off getting a Hulkbuster or flying away so your teammates can help tank mobs. And if the people shooting you are annoying you, fly up on them and you should be able to kill them before they get back up.

Like, this isn't a game where you power through mobs like Dynasty Warriors. You have to keep moving and not get surrounded. And if you are surrounded, use your abilities.

Or just play as Kamala and auto-dodge everything with her intrinsic before spinning and obliterating everyone.

Also I think you want to look for abilities that launch. Those buy you a lot of time to land combos or at least take enemies out for a while until they recover.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I don't think the game tells you this but you can hold forward on the left analog stick to go a little faster in flight mode, seemed to outpace most projectiles in that Iron Man mission

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ruffian Price posted:

I don't think the game tells you this but you can hold forward on the left analog stick to go a little faster in flight mode, seemed to outpace most projectiles in that Iron Man mission

It tells you that during the mission but so much poo poo is happening its easy to miss.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think the problem is ultimately that for whatever reason the mechanics don't always work so great. Like you try to do the double tap dodge, but don't really move anywhere and then you eat damage. Or you try to vault over a shielding enemy, and just kinda ... slide into him. And eat damage.

On paper you absolutely have the tools to make most situations work, but it just feels off and bad because you think you're doing what you're supposed to, and still eating poo poo.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The combat rhythm reaches its highs when there are no drones or turrets around so if your team is walking away from Omelas has someone taking care of that missions can go pretty smooth.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah drones can be pretty tedious when you can't stay still to get shots on them and are playing a character with poor air combat. When like 5 of those SPIN drones spawn right above your head and instantly pop off rounds that drain your heroics and you're having to hit them one by one that's pretty brutal.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Like you try to do the double tap dodge, but don't really move anywhere and then you eat damage.

This is one of the more annoying things about combat. Why even bother putting a dodge in if it only moves you like two inches.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Dodging rockets is a little tough because you have to wait until they're almost on you, but also if you keep moving most of the time turrets and lasers won't catch up to you. The canyon sequence I didn't get hit since I just kept blasting forward and didn't try to shoot anything. Turrets are especially slow. The adaptiods and their quick lasers are really the only thing that I think constantly hit me.

And if you're getting swarmed, that's your cue to either get the hell out of dodge or pop one of your specials. Unfortunately Iron Man's Unibeam isn't that great and the field needs some upgrades before it really shines, so you're better off getting a Hulkbuster or flying away so your teammates can help tank mobs. And if the people shooting you are annoying you, fly up on them and you should be able to kill them before they get back up.

Like, this isn't a game where you power through mobs like Dynasty Warriors. You have to keep moving and not get surrounded. And if you are surrounded, use your abilities.

Or just play as Kamala and auto-dodge everything with her intrinsic before spinning and obliterating everyone.

Also I think you want to look for abilities that launch. Those buy you a lot of time to land combos or at least take enemies out for a while until they recover.

The bit of the iron man mission that was giving me problems had me stand in a tiny area while Harris hacked stuff. If I leave the area aim hacks it and I lose. So I was punished for flying or moving about.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think Iron Man is okay, but he needs the lasers (for crowd control) and rockets (For burning down tougher mobs). More importantly, he needs an extra body to tank things so he can safely do ranged support. The missions where he is required go solo is such a boneheaded move.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’ve just been playing hulk since my progress reset. He’s great cause he can do almost anything and his health management is fairly easy once you learn to manage all your resources.

Also I like that when he unlocks a terminal he just looks around for a few seconds and then gives it a little bonk

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

VanillaGorilla posted:

Levels really feel like they matter, too - a lot of each characters most defining abilities are all locked behind later tiers of skills. I hated Captain America at first because I was just getting the poo poo beat out of me, but now that I got him to like 15 and filled out his ranged attack and assault skill tees, he’s a monster. I barely melee, I just kill groups of enemies with shield tosses. You can clear entire areas of turrets with one ricochet throw, it’s nuts. It’s an incredibly active play style, too, once you pick up the “hit R2 at the right time to kick/toss your shield back out” skills.

Also you have to start thinking about stats in mid-game. Ranged characters stacking precision (and resilience for defense) makes a huge difference.

The one thing that bugs me about Cap right now is he has two moves that uses R2 to use the shield again, one is a kickback and one is a toss. I can never get the kickback to work because he just tosses it again no matter how much I smash R2 before the shield comes back. They really should have mapped it onto a different button for the kickback.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

The one thing that bugs me about Cap right now is he has two moves that uses R2 to use the shield again, one is a kickback and one is a toss. I can never get the kickback to work because he just tosses it again no matter how much I smash R2 before the shield comes back. They really should have mapped it onto a different button for the kickback.

That's because the kickback move is specific to his charged range attack (holding Triangle to select multiple dudes). The throw-back is for his non-charged throw (and chains twice, with the third throw being a "finisher")

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh, well I don’t think they explained that at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Black Stones posted:

It’s in the skill descriptions but that goes back to the descriptions of stuff in this game being super unclear sometimes. I hate that they have willpower, intrinsic power, and heroic power. It was super annoying trying to remember which was which at first.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

I mean that's just how Square Enix Presents Crystal Dynamic's Marvel's The Avengers The Game goes.

Anyway, I just finished the final campaign mission and it sucked poo poo. Hulk's fight against two Cryo Adaptoids is loving abysmal. They literally stood on either side of me and just ping pong 1-2-3'd me to death and I could do nothing.

I actually finally beat the fight by...being dead and letting my single AI companion do the work, and then revive me when the last enemy has like 1/4th health. Yeah I dunno. Whatever.

Cap is my character definitely. But I knew that going in because I love ricochet shield throws and this game does it. Also pretty much every single move of his is directly from the movies, and they make Strong Shield Dude fighting awesome.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The aimed shield bounce is very satisfying.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Azubah posted:

The aimed shield bounce is very satisfying.

Make sure you unlock Shield Kick to make it even more satisfying

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

I think the problem is ultimately that for whatever reason the mechanics don't always work so great. Like you try to do the double tap dodge, but don't really move anywhere and then you eat damage. Or you try to vault over a shielding enemy, and just kinda ... slide into him. And eat damage.

On paper you absolutely have the tools to make most situations work, but it just feels off and bad because you think you're doing what you're supposed to, and still eating poo poo.

4 hours in and this how I'm feeling too. The AAA values and very enjoyable campaign trick you into thinking the core gameplay should be just as good. It's not bad by any means but it's certainly no Platinum or From game either.

That's why the Game as Service aspect will live and die on the fun new content they can keep providing. It's not like Destiny, where the best in class FPS gameplay helps make up for the lack of new stuff to do. That being said, I'll probably be happy to play a few hours as a new hero every month or so and then forget about it, so we'll see.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Junkenstein posted:

That being said, I'll probably be happy to play a few hours as a new hero every month or so and then forget about it, so we'll see.

The new heroes are what this game will live or die by. Yeah, the gameplay isn’t as technical as a Platinum game, but the way each hero has a bunch of unique roles is easily the strongest thing it has going on. If they can keep mixing it up so that you don’t have Hawkeye feeling like “Iron Man that can’t fly” and keep a variety of energy mechanics and roles going, it’ll be something I keep coming back to.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Somebody on another forum had this bug happen

It multiplied all the heroes until there were like 20 of them running around

i wish this would happen to me, i want to see it

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RubberLuffy posted:

I had 2 CPU hulks running around with me this morning. It's a mysterious bug.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Big list of known issues and fixes from the devs: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayAvengers/comments/inepuh/crystal_dynamics_official_the_known_issues_and/

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

deadly_pudding posted:

I had 2 CPU hulks running around with me this morning. It's a mysterious bug.
Black Widow cloned herself halfway through one of the story missions for me. It was nice having an extra AI teammate.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

g0del posted:

Black Widow cloned herself halfway through one of the story missions for me. It was nice having an extra AI teammate.

I dont read the comics but this is probably comic book accurate right?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Brooklyn Brawler, my friend. Not only do you get to do takedowns on any enemy that's below 40% health willpower, but you can block red unblockable attacks.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm seein' double! Three Kamalas!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Invuln on crit perk on gloves is the meta, calling it now

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Holy poo poo they really made the 20+ minute credits for the campaign unskippable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Brownhat posted:

Holy poo poo they really made the 20+ minute credits for the campaign unskippable?

After about a minute you can skip them. I think it's loading in the background when they first start rolling.