Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Someone got to discover water and is a big fan

Also "greyhounds are a quiet breed" lol

https://i.imgur.com/z2egcFl.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Are stairs and stepping up onto things a greyhound problem or my puppy's problem?

Also Lemon Pepper is the worst guard/watch dog on the planet. She loves people like a golden retriever would and doesn't bark. This whole yappy poodle combo with the muscle dog has a real lennie and george vibe going.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Are stairs and stepping up onto things a greyhound problem or my puppy's problem?

Also Lemon Pepper is the worst guard/watch dog on the planet. She loves people like a golden retriever would and doesn't bark. This whole yappy poodle combo with the muscle dog has a real lennie and george vibe going.

I'd say both. Greyhounds from the track have never seen stairs or hardwood/linoleum and have to learn how to navigate them (plus lots of other things). Puppies, especially leggy breeds like sighthounds, are clumsy and need to take care around obstacles because their legs are constantly changing length

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

radiation cow are you in South Africa?

Yup.

A friend of mine is currently raising a greyhound puppy, and I can confidently say that they're the clumsiest pups that I've ever met. They're super-cute though, and you need to post more photos, Veskit.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I took her to a brewery today and someone almost cried at the sight of a greyhound puppy

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Do the puppies sleep all day too? The books made greyhound puppies sound like terrors.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

david_a posted:

Do the puppies sleep all day too? The books made greyhound puppies sound like terrors.

She only sleeps 12-14 hours a day instead of the upwards of 20 hours I guess, though her active periods are very hyper. I’ve had a lab and a mini poodle and I wouldn’t say she’s especially more so than any other breed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

where are the puppy running around videos

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

actionjackson posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
it's often impossible to tell whether or not Tubbs is under our blankets unless the snorkel is out

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol @ tubbs

noting last night that even though I use a white noise machine to sleep, nothing can overpower the sound of abby licking her own crotch

a shameful display

edit: in the meantime WHILE WE WAIT (!!!) here is a greyhound puppy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHROimBwRkQ

at 2:46 look at those mf puppies go

another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-aIGSCP-Y

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 6, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The yard is more of an agility course than a racing course.

Also I found out she has food aggression for high value chew treats and I needa work that out of her. From what I read it’s a lot of drop it command training and giving her a treat for giving me her treat. If anyone has video recommendations it’d be super helpful!

https://i.imgur.com/VfoRiCT.mp4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol look at that puppy go

the other dog will fine it more difficult to keep up over time :p

though I wonder what her top speed will be since she's never done any racing

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Might get back in touch with the Greyhound Trust about the Big Bouncy Boys after all!

In the meantime, I was trying to think up a list of equipment I'd need to get for a greyhound. The charity apparently provides a collar (presumably martingale?), a double ended training lead, halti body harness, and muzzle.

Immediate stuff I thought of:
  • Water/food bowls w/ raised stand
  • Dog food
  • Dog treats (for training)
  • Rain coat
  • Winter coat
  • Stuffed toy
  • Other toys?
  • Big cushion bed
  • Cage/Crate? (Dependent on advice from the trust)
  • Throw for the couch
  • Mat for the dog food
  • Mat for the paws at the door
  • Pee cleaning solution
  • Poo bags

Longer term:
  • Dog shampoo
  • Worming tablets
  • Grooming brush/rubber glove
  • Ear cleaning solution and cotton pads?
  • Nail dremel/clippers? (Dependent on how they grow with walking on concrete paving.)

Anything I'm missing or any recs? No idea what toys are good, I guess taking them to a pet shop is a good idea?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would double check with the group, I assume "worming tables" is heartworm meds, you should also get flea/tick stuff, at least for the warm months.

you don't need shampoo, greyhounds clean themselves and I've only given her a bath once a year. unless your dog is running around in mud or something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

VagueRant posted:

Might get back in touch with the Greyhound Trust about the Big Bouncy Boys after all!

In the meantime, I was trying to think up a list of equipment I'd need to get for a greyhound. The charity apparently provides a collar (presumably martingale?), a double ended training lead, halti body harness, and muzzle.

Immediate stuff I thought of:
  • Water/food bowls w/ raised stand
  • Dog food
  • Dog treats (for training)
  • Rain coat
  • Winter coat
  • Stuffed toy
  • Other toys?
  • Big cushion bed
  • Cage/Crate? (Dependent on advice from the trust)
  • Throw for the couch
  • Mat for the dog food
  • Mat for the paws at the door
  • Pee cleaning solution
  • Poo bags

Longer term:
  • Dog shampoo
  • Worming tablets
  • Grooming brush/rubber glove
  • Ear cleaning solution and cotton pads?
  • Nail dremel/clippers? (Dependent on how they grow with walking on concrete paving.)

Anything I'm missing or any recs? No idea what toys are good, I guess taking them to a pet shop is a good idea?

Sparty actually got more gas with raised food bowls, dunno if that's normal or he's just weird. For him it let him eat faster and so he ingested more air than if he had to bend down.

For treats, I've found cat treats to work especially well and they're suitably sized for frequent rewarding. I love Temptations because you can get a big box for cheap.

Sparty doesn't like rain or winter coats so I'm glad we didn't get one. I'd see how your dog handles the cold and the rain first, but that's just me.

Toys - it might take time to teach them how to play. Testing out in the toy aisle is a great way to be sure you get something they're interested in. So far sparty likes the big, soft, crinkly stuffed toys

For cleaning solution, it's hard to beat Nature's Miracle

Sparty went for a swim today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmr3DDSKqA

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Getting a winter coat is NOT optional depending on where you live, if you didn't have a coat for your dog here they would repossess it

so unless you live somewhere where it doesn't get below like 40-45 degrees you have to have one

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Getting a winter coat is NOT optional depending on where you live, if you didn't have a coat for your dog here they would repossess it

so unless you live somewhere where it doesn't get below like 40-45 degrees you have to have one

Interesting. Spartacus is happiest in the winter and especially below 50 degrees, I don't think I've even seen him shiver unless he's been standing still for more than ten minutes and it's snowing. If it's above 80 though he just melts and gives up five minutes in.

We like to say he runs hot

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've taken my dog out in 30 ish degree weather and he's just having a ball sniffing everything and not pooping while I'm freezing my rear end off. I think he's broken.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Puppieeeeeees

For supplies I would consider a licky mat, which is a plastic square with little divots in it. You put peanut butter on and it takes them a while to lick it off. Some people do a Kong with frozen peanut butter inside but my greys never liked the rubber and were also too dumb to figure it out, your mileage may vary.

A fun project is a snuffle mat, which is another good food based activity. It’s cheap to make your own. I’ve tried other puzzle toy treats with Josie and she can’t figure them out, but snuffle mats are easy enough for her.

For a brush I would recommend a curry comb, which is like a saw blade in a loop with a handle. They’ve always worked best for me. I do know some people who have the brushy gloves but they never worked as well for me. You may want a brush right away, depending on where they’ve been living, they might have a “kennel coat” of roughish fur which they will shed after about a month of house living. Even if they don’t have a kennel coat it is about that time of year when they will grow a winter coat.

The last thing I would recommend is just to check your home first aid stuff and make sure you have some cotton pads, neosporin, and self adhesive bandage (it is stretchy and mildly sticky feeling) or regular bandage with surgical tape. Greys have fragile skin and they will often be doing dumb things like hitting their tail too hard against things, scratching their foot on something, or otherwise getting mysterious scrapes. Bouncy boys more so than others! I know at first you might want to have a vet look at scrapes, and of course always for big ones. But you will quickly learn to recognise non-worrying ones and clean them up and wrap them yourself.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Interesting. Spartacus is happiest in the winter and especially below 50 degrees, I don't think I've even seen him shiver unless he's been standing still for more than ten minutes and it's snowing. If it's above 80 though he just melts and gives up five minutes in.

We like to say he runs hot

where do you live? as I said our group requires coats. maybe yours doesn't depending on your location. but don't tell someone getting a coat is optional because in my cases it is not.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Yay for big bouncy boys!

I think people tend to overthink what your dog needs. We bought tons of toys that we eventually donated back to the rescue because Gello didn't touch them and actually got scared by the squeaky ones.

Ask your rescue group what they recommend as the basics and then move on from there.

A throw for the couch is definitely a great idea.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

We took Lemon (and terabyte) over to the dog park today. For the first time she played with a stranger dog, and she’s really adjusting to being around dogs.

She also discovered the stream in the park

https://i.imgur.com/IN8kAYc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/eZECs8v.mp4

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

He's so proud of himself!

Veskit posted:

We took Lemon (and terabyte) over to the dog park today. For the first time she played with a stranger dog, and she’s really adjusting to being around dogs.

She also discovered the stream in the park.

https://i.imgur.com/IN8kAYc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/eZECs8v.mp4

Zoom!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I approve of all these videos

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Ooohhhhhhh :allears:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, here's Opal!

Tazo and Opal got along great, when they first met - better than Taz has been w9th any other dog the last few years, to be honest!
That being said, it's still proving to be an adjustment for Taz - I feel kinda bad for him in a way, since he's not used to sharing with another dog! :D He's getting used to having her around though, and seems to enjoy sniffing her butt.

Here they are, sharing the couch:

Hopefully they continue to get along well!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Congrats!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Hi Opal! I'm sure Taz will get used to her super quick. The we want to see videos of them playing together :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks! Yeah he's still getting used to her, but he's definitely getting more and more comfortable with having her around, which is great to see.

Funnily enough though, Opal is the polar opposite to Tazo, regarding photos - she always strikes a pose, when either myself or my partner takes a photo of her.

She also seems to love having her paws crossed, as you can see - even when roaching! :3:

As I said before though, Taz doesn't pose at all. He just plain doesn't care about photos. But clearly, he felt like he needed to reassert himself as being the cutest, most photogenic doggo in the house! Since after I took a photo of Opal he jumped up and laid down in front of me, pulling out the big guns with his best cute expression :D

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Opal is beautiful!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahaha i love those pics

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Tazo definitely wins this round. That's an amazing face.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Taz is an extremely handsome and cute boy

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Radiation Cow posted:

Tazo definitely wins this round. That's an amazing face.

I don’t know, crossed paws are very hard to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I don’t know, crossed paws are very hard to beat.

Agreed. Opal is a beautiful brindle girl, they've always been my favorite (*glares @ my stupid deer* :argh:)