Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pattonesque posted:

my favorite thing about the Vigil theme is that if you go to the War Room in ME3 a very subtle and slowed-down version of that theme is the ambient noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xokmq-EnywM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ooooh, forgot about that one. they did that a lot in ME3.

Man an awful lot of ME3 was really well-crafted. Shame about the Thing

also here's the War Room theme, you can hear Vigil's Theme in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63gcwVh6650

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The music in ME3 is an example of a rushed development resulting in a creative compromise. They didn't have enough time to fully score the game so they recycled tracks from the first two games and stretched, edited and remixed them to fill in gaps where new music wasn't available.

Edit: okay, with the ALOT texture pack Mass Effect 2 looks REALLY pretty for 2010.

What i immediately don't like. I imported my ME1 save but the ME2 Genesis DLC still plays even though I don't need it. It's nice that it exists for people who never played the first game but its rather annoying when I've already got an import. At least I can fast forward through it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 4, 2020

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

What i immediately don't like. I imported my ME1 save but the ME2 Genesis DLC still plays even though I don't need it. It's nice that it exists for people who never played the first game but its rather annoying when I've already got an import. At least I can fast forward through it.

Can't you just uninstall the Genesis DLC?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess. I never thought to do that.

Eh its not that big a deal. Just me being dumb.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

ooooh, forgot about that one. they did that a lot in ME3.

Man an awful lot of ME3 was really well-crafted. Shame about the Thing

also here's the War Room theme, you can hear Vigil's Theme in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63gcwVh6650

My favorite thing about Liara's song is the way it is played is very "Someone trying to remember a song they had to memorize 30 years ago but has never even seen a piano since". She starts off missing beats and walking chords but eventually lands everything and re-introduces the accompaniment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am going to be a complete dick to Cerberus this playthrough. None of that gaslighting poo poo they wanna pull with their happy ex alliance cell they hand picked for the Normandy Crew.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am going to be a complete dick to Cerberus this playthrough. None of that gaslighting poo poo they wanna pull with their happy ex alliance cell they hand picked for the Normandy Crew.

Save the kid from project overlord then tell his brother that he died in ME3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my vanguard build. I took slam as my bonus power because I'm not big on Pull. I'm thinking I'll go with Champion instead of Destroyer for my class specialization so I can whip around shockwaves, slams and charges. As for guns, well I kinda hate the Claymour so I'll take the assault rifles from the Collector Ship so I can use the Geth rifle from Tali's mission.

What armour pieces should I be looking for to amp up my build some more?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, no mouse wheel scroll and single paragraph text entries aren't going to get old fast, no sir. This game was not made with a PC UI in mind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Recruited Grunt and opened his tank. Grunt towering over Shepard has got to be my favourite image in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEZniE-qZU&t=96s

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Recruited Grunt and opened his tank. Grunt towering over Shepard has got to be my favourite image in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBEZniE-qZU&t=96s

...and then he is 5'9" for the rest of the game. :smith:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
only the Citadel DLC managed to accurately portray how badass a Krogan squad mate would truly be

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Everytime this thread updates, I just miss ME3's multiplayer.

Vermintide has a bunch of issues on higher difficulties. Deep Rock Galactic is super fun, but just not as tightly designed. Titanfall 2's Frontier Defense is solid, but feels kinda limited in your loadouts.

For all the glitches and bad writing and weird facial stuff in Andromeda, I'm mostly still mad at Bioware for loving up an incredibly solid multiplayer mode. They just needed to copy/paste most of it and it would have been fine, but no, they had to penalize shotguns for not being in cover and completely gently caress up sniper rifle critical hit multipliers and just gently caress them.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
ME3 Multiple Player coming back is the only part of the remake I would look forward to.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It says everything you need to know about this towering, years-long single-player scifi epic that the most discussed feature almost a decade later is the tacked-on multiplayer...

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
To be fair that tacked on multiplayer was as big of a successful surprise as Metriod moving to 3D with Metriod Prime. No one thought it was going to work but not only did it work it 100% fit with the story and setting while just being a fun experience.

And the fact that it was so successful that it let the devs get weird and creative with the classes towards the end. Like a one off joke character became a fun and dynamic class that was a blast to play.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 6, 2020

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I wish they would have gone back and made the other Krogan immune to sync kills but multiplayer was really really good and it sucked that Andromeda's multiplayer was the exact opposite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Continuing on with ME2.

This is a rather bad port of a console game. Anti Aliasing is poo poo and the keybindings are rather hosed because you can't separate the select button from the powers menu button. And the only use of the scroll wheel is to swap weapons.

My biggest QOL issue so far isn't the bad menus and lack of keybinding versatility, it's the fact that there are two crash causing bugs that are easy to replicate. I had to redo the end of Kasumi's DLC three times with it crashing at the end of the cutscene before I found out that people solved this crash by disabling the intro videos for the game, however the gently caress that makes any sense. Far worse is the bug with the hotkeys menu. Trying to move skills to the hotkey bar and the key click will select a skill halfway across the screen from the one you wanted, and if you then activate it you'll auto crash the game.

It's like this game was left out to die once the DLC was finished and nobody was around to do further bugfixing because EA had them marching onto Mass Effect 3 oblivion and Bioware still had studio mismanagement.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I recently got Andromeda to work again on my computer, so I'm giving it another play through because I only ever beat it once and I was wondering, is there any consensus for the "best" character build?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

I recently got Andromeda to work again on my computer, so I'm giving it another play through because I only ever beat it once and I was wondering, is there any consensus for the "best" character build?

Vanguard charge, vampire sword, drone buddy, and whatever for the other power.

You will never die and your sword will never dry

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thinking abiut respeccing my ME2 Vanguard. Are shields plus Barrier as a bonus power as broken as they were in ME1?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burkion posted:

Vanguard charge, vampire sword, drone buddy, and whatever for the other power.

You will never die and your sword will never dry

The whatever for the other power should be a combo primer though, so that when you charge you get those sweet, sweet ‘splosions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Whilst browsing a recovery drive, I found some of my old shepards and assorted dumb stuff from the old ME threads, thought I'd share

At the time it really was so cool to be playing your own custom character that featured in every cutscene.

lotsa :shepface:

Flipping through my captures I was constantly thinking about how many memorable moments the series has. Some small and insignificant but they stick with you.

(you might notice I wasn't playing at the highest of settings)

these are from a project I did for the thread secret santa (MESS).

nonsense

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

If they ever actually do release the ME trilogy I'd actually be excited to play through the games again. The ending of ME3 is bad, but I honestly think it's a pretty fun ride till then even with the jank in some of the games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I miss the series :shobon:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It feels like I've been seeing people post about it a lot recently, both here and on other websites.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

there's a rumored remaster on the horizon

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just release the remaster and endorse Indoctrination Theory so we can get a 4th game, you cowards! :argh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

They'll make the same mistakes they did before but toss some HDR and BLOOM on the old graphics and call it good, and not attempt to fix anything that people said needed fixing.

God the loving bloom on ME2 lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seriously the number of game breaking bugs I've been coming across in ME2 is infuriating. I had exactly one crash in my ME1 playthrough last month. So far I'm not even halfway through ME2 and I've encountered three instacrash bugs that I've managed to replicate. And it's not just me with a busted install, these are crashes that have been known about for years and the only way to fix them is with community workarounds because quality assurance or tech support isn't a thing for old EA games. So far I've had a consistent crash at the end of Kasumi's loyalty mission, a consistent crash when adding skills to the hotkey bar, and now I can't even go down the hallway under Liara's office without the game deciding that an empty corridor is too much to handle and freezing the screen.

I want to like ME2. It was my favourite of the games when 32-bit OSes were standard, but it is coming apart at the seams on this replay.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just release the remaster and endorse Indoctrination Theory so we can get a 4th game, you cowards! :argh:

If they don’t announce a remaster with a new ending and ME4 on the same day then I’m gonna have to seriously rethink what I know about capitalism

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Of what? All the games?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Of what? All the games?

1-3

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s been rumoured for years now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ah yes, :turianass:remaster:turianass:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Rinkles posted:

Whilst browsing a recovery drive, I found some of my old shepards and assorted dumb stuff from the old ME threads, thought I'd share

At the time it really was so cool to be playing your own custom character that featured in every cutscene.

lotsa :shepface:

:same:

back in the day i got a little carried away with the character creator literally played through 6 sheps and i thought the integration of the custom shep was real neat, i also saved a few of my :shepface:

too bad bioware's dead now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How does a developer at the forefront of its industry so utterly crater within a few years? I guess relying on BioWare magic (and crunch) to push through projects wasn't a sustainable model.

Based on the trajectory from ME1 to ME2 the future of BW seemed so bright.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

How does a developer at the forefront of its industry so utterly crater within a few years? I guess relying on BioWare magic (and crunch) to push through projects wasn't a sustainable model.

Based on the trajectory from ME1 to ME2 the future of BW seemed so bright.

It happened to so many other companies that were bought out by EA before BioWare. Maxis, Westwood, Bullfrog...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think what happens is that the studio becomes so good that essentially anyone who works there can get a job leading a project somewhere else.

It's the gaming equivalent of having a speaking role in Saving Private Ryan: everyone will give you a job. So then there is a diaspora and what is left is probably the people who don't have as much creative vision mixed in with a bunch of fans who grew up on Golden Age Games, leading to decreasing-quality facsimiles. Eventually a big publisher will swoop in to cash in on the failing brand's name recognition while it still has value and run it into the ground.