Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Is there a goon approved a) oil and b) method for seasoning a half-ruined carbon steel pan?

I've been trying the '2 hours in the oven @ 200C' method with canola oil and old pan I have. The first two attempts were busts, the third time I cranked the oven up to 220C and the pan worked incredibly well for four days, I even fried eggs in it. Then after evangelising to my partner about how great it was, he tried using it and a bunch of the coating immediately chipped off so now I have a pan that's half seasoned and half not.

Please help me, I feel like it shouldn't be this hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s a sign that you put too much oil on for each layer.

Rub on oil, then wipe as much of it off as you can using one paper towel. Then bake. Let cool. There, one layer.

Do that five times and you got a decent seasoning.

Cook with it with lots of fat for years and then it will become sturdy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It helps if the pan is warm or even a little hot when you wipe the oil on. That lowers the viscosity of the oil and allows you to get it on in a thinner layer. The pan should have shine when you wipe the oil on (and then off) but you should not be able to see any depth to the oil you’ve wiped on.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Ahh that makes sense. I did warm the pan before oiling it, but I defnitely put too much oil on.

Am I best just stripping the pan back to bare metal and starting again? At the moment I have a pan with half the seasoning still on, but trying to coat more oil over the top of it seems futile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah your beat beat it to start over, unfortunately.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Just cook with it a whole bunch using animal fats and it will season over time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

.Z. posted:

What I'm getting from their materials is that is just a convection heat + steam to help reduce moisture loss.

I think it’s also holding a constant temp more consistently than a normal oven, and the steam should improve heat transfer efficiency. It doesn’t look like it would make toast especially well with rear element placement, but maybe?

We’re half looking for a convection toaster oven, and this is an interesting contender.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

therobit posted:

Just cook with it a whole bunch using animal fats and it will season over time.

This. No purposeful seasoning worked as well as a year of cooking bacon and steaks in a new cast iron skillet.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
With cast iron I'd say the biggest mistake people tend to make is overthinking it. It's not a high tech or sensitive tool. Just use it and you'll be fine. You think your gran fussed about it as much as we all tend to do before we get used to it? Just let it go and use it, it'll just get better over time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Here's a video about cast iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGR-pyLHz1s

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

stealie72 posted:

This. No purposeful seasoning worked as well as a year of cooking bacon and steaks in a new cast iron skillet.

they're asking about carbon, though. does it still apply? (not a sass question... I have a new unseasoned carbon steel pan I'm working on)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

they're asking about carbon, though. does it still apply? (not a sass question... I have a new unseasoned carbon steel pan I'm working on)

Yes, they're basically the same for this purpose

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

xtal posted:

Yes, they're basically the same for this purpose

Yeah, should have specified. But I also had a carbon steel wok that worked the same way. I did one oven seasoning on it just so it wouldn't rust, then just did a lot of high heat cooking with a bunch of fats. Eventually it turned into a nice black sheen all over.

Croatoan posted:

With cast iron I'd say the biggest mistake people tend to make is overthinking it. It's not a high tech or sensitive tool. Just use it and you'll be fine. You think your gran fussed about it as much as we all tend to do before we get used to it? Just let it go and use it, it'll just get better over time.
This times 1000. Just cook in the thing. Also, once its got a nice season you can do things like use soap and a scrubber on it.

Your gran's cast iron is great because its been cooked in thousands of times.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 6, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just bought a wolf countertop convection oven. goddamn this thing is amazing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Found a refurbished Vitamix Explorian for under $300 and it arrived yesterday, this thing is incredible. Thanks for the recommendation!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Is convection oven US-centric terminology or is it something different from a fan oven?

Every place I’ve lived in in the UK has had a fan oven, are they just less common in the states?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I believe convection oven/fan oven are interchangeable, it's just what we call it in the US. There's also "true" convection which is a further distinction that means the fan itself has a heating element behind it.

I would say that most ovens I've come across in the wild in the US have not had a fan or convection functionality and almost all recipes here with baking instructions work under the assumption that you don't have one.

I specifically had to search for a convection oven when I was shopping because the absolute lowest end of the price spectrum omits that feature and even most mid/high range models offer variants with/without convection. They are becoming more common though. I was able to sell my parents and in-laws on buying one based just on how the Thanksgiving turkey came out last year without it being a literal all day affair.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

barkbell posted:

just bought a wolf countertop convection oven. goddamn this thing is amazing

I just pre-ordered this bad boy, the Anova Precision Oven. We’ve been talking about replacing our oven because it bothers us in a number of ways, but this is both cheaper and more functional for 95% of the cooking we do.

I am very excited!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I looked at dual fuel ranges in the $3k-$6k range and pretty much all of them had convection, but yeah lower end ovens don't.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I just pre-ordered this bad boy, the Anova Precision Oven. We’ve been talking about replacing our oven because it bothers us in a number of ways, but this is both cheaper and more functional for 95% of the cooking we do.

I am very excited!

I’d love to get a report after you’ve had a few weeks to use it

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Subjunctive posted:

I am very excited!

Let us know how it works out. Luckily my gf saw the wolf oven at home goods for $300. It seemed too good of a deal to pass on. Especially since our apartment oven when set to 450 only hits 350. Turns out wolf doesn’t do refurbished units but any units they have returned are sold to employees which I guess somehow ended up at home goods

mystes
May 31, 2006

barkbell posted:

Let us know how it works out. Luckily my gf saw the wolf oven at home goods for $300. It seemed too good of a deal to pass on. Especially since our apartment oven when set to 450 only hits 350. Turns out wolf doesn’t do refurbished units but any units they have returned are sold to employees which I guess somehow ended up at home goods
I suspect one reason the Marshalls stores occasionally get legitimately good stuff that isn't garbage specifically produced for them is because companies want to sell off extra stock or seconds without advertising the fact that they're doing so or providing an avenue for normal potential customers to track them down which would cannibalize sales and/or drive down prices.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

I’d love to get a report after you’ve had a few weeks to use it

barkbell posted:

Let us know how it works out.

Try and stop me!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I used my duo crisp instapot air fryer for the first time today and made buffalo wings. Delicious.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm in the market for a food processor. We already have a KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer, but something that can slice veggies, make a mean pesto/falafel mix, maybe even work as a blender. Also, we have limited storage space, so something compact. Oh, and available in Europe. Willing to spend upwards of €300 for the right piece of kit. Recommendations?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bolind posted:

I'm in the market for a food processor. We already have a KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer, but something that can slice veggies, make a mean pesto/falafel mix, maybe even work as a blender. Also, we have limited storage space, so something compact. Oh, and available in Europe. Willing to spend upwards of €300 for the right piece of kit. Recommendations?

There's this thing. I haven't watched the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFM66BpXwsM

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bolind posted:

I use a Cuisinart Pro Classic for most of that, plus kneading bread dough. I just replaced mine after 12 years of almost daily use (on bread dough) finally damaged it.

It doesn't make an especially good blender, but it's great at the rest of those things.

It's suddenly showing as discontinued, but still seems to be available. I think it usually costs around US $100. The base is around 20cm square, and the whole thing assembled is maybe 30cm tall (taller with the slicing lid).

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While we're doing blender chat, I just wanted to vent a bit about my Blendtec. This is a pre- "wild side" pitcher, but I'm pretty sure this is the brand that advertised through the "will it blend" videos. This weekend I was using it to powderize some parmesan rinds and it cracked the pitcher in a bottom corner. Quite disappointed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SuicideDrink posted:

While we're doing blender chat, I just wanted to vent a bit about my Blendtec. This is a pre- "wild side" pitcher, but I'm pretty sure this is the brand that advertised through the "will it blend" videos. This weekend I was using it to powderize some parmesan rinds and it cracked the pitcher in a bottom corner. Quite disappointed.

Weird. Did the pitcher just get brittle with age? Had it been through a dishwasher? I have vitamix not blendtec but a pitcher falling apart mid blend would be very very bad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SuicideDrink posted:

No you misunderstood - if they never used the blender for parmesan in the 'will it blend' series you aren't supposed to put it in there... it won't.

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Weird. Did the pitcher just get brittle with age? Had it been through a dishwasher? I have vitamix not blendtec but a pitcher falling apart mid blend would be very very bad.

Possibly, it's 8 years old now. I'm not sure if we ever put it in the dishwasher. It didn't just completely fall apart tho, just crack in a corner. I believe it actually still holds water.

VelociBacon posted:

No you misunderstood - if they never used the blender for parmesan in the 'will it blend' series you aren't supposed to put it in there... it won't.

Ah, yes, I suppose it was unwise to use untested materials.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just this weekend I was watching Jamie Oliver on his UK food network show and learned they call blenders "liquidizers". That's stupid and Americans should be able to laugh at the UK again for being dumb. Trump and Brexit void each other out.
That's what I have to add to the current blender conversation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Just this weekend I was watching Jamie Oliver on his UK food network show and learned they call blenders "liquidizers". That's stupid and Americans should be able to laugh at the UK again for being dumb. Trump and Brexit void each other out.
That's what I have to add to the current blender conversation.
Just blitz your ingredients instead.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Wizzerate, I use a wizzerator. But in canuckistan we wear bunnyhugs, so what do we know.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
La di da mr French man. I just use my knife hole

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I finally broke down and got a used vitamix the other day. The hype is real.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Stringent posted:

I finally broke down and got a used vitamix the other day. The hype is real.

As someone who still has a 10 year old $20 oster, what am I missing out on? It basically only gets brought out for smoothies, but we do a lot of cooking and mix by hand, with a hand mixer, a food processor, a stand mixer and an immersion blender

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

As someone who still has a 10 year old $20 oster, what am I missing out on? It basically only gets brought out for smoothies, but we do a lot of cooking and mix by hand, with a hand mixer, a food processor, a stand mixer and an immersion blender

High power blenders work better for smoothies that have seeds in them, they get pulverized. I also use mine to make mayo, hummus, and tomato soup. If you run it long enough it heats up, so you can just throw in a can of tomatoes and basil and call it quits.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Vim Fuego posted:

Well, I've just been getting by with an immersion blender for like a decade now, so I can't really compare with other stand mixers. But to take tomato soup as an example, my process before would be to boil the tomatoes in stock or whatever, hit that with the immersion blender, then strain most or all of the pulp out. With the vitamix, like xtal said there, I actually get a smoother texture than my previous method just throwing a raw tomato and some stock into the vitamix and running it for five minutes. I'm planning on upping the ante and seeing how it does with shrimp shells this weekend. With my immersion blender I'd have to strain multiple times to get the grittiness out of a shrimp stock, I'm hoping it'll just come out smooth the first run.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bolind posted:

It won't ever be blender levels of smooth but a food processor can definitely make good pesto/falafel/hummos ect. It just takes a lot longer. I hadn't really realized how long you can let the thing go until I made pistachio butter in it and the recipe was "put this pistachios in, turn it on, and come back in 10 minutes"