Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
thank you to everyone except this guy

AG3 posted:

Well, there is that mod where you can marry Jas, but that's maybe not the kind of loving up you had in mind?

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poque posted:

https://twitter.com/concernedape/status/1301999239694876679?s=21

Trees in the water? Ducks swimming?! A beach with grass???
Global warming?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

My thoughts on the tweet are essentially it's either 1: a new farm (maybe a replacement for the river farm?) or 2: a new location to visit. But it's ConcernedApe so literally anything could happen.

Meanwhile I've been playing through a new game with a self imposed challenge of "can't buy seeds". Essentially if you can put it the ground it can't be bought from any vendor (Joja, Sandy, Pierre, Traveling Cart, etc) and includes the fruit trees so I had to go fruit bat cave for the first time. So the main goal was to get completed fruit/vegetables from the cart that you can't get from mixed seeds or free seeds (ie starfruit from the museum reward) and put them in the seed maker when you hit level 9 farming. I'm just now in summer year 2 and am missing just a few things for the community center bundle (tomato, blueberry, and red cabbage). Overall been an interesting way to play storing up things to use next year and actually using mixed seeds like crazy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How long does it take to hit lvl9 farming from only planting wild seeds? I assume you pretty much have to go forest farm for this and plant a lot of rice in spring

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bogart posted:

Friends. I've played the base game to death. I'm finally going to hook my PC into my TV so I can play SDV in bed like the goony goon I am. I have a simple request, and I ask it of you from bended knee: gently caress me up with mods to add stuff.

Stardew Valley Expanded is a massive mod that adds a lot. The current maps are expanded with alternate ways to move around and some new maps are added. There's new characters and dialog which isn't as cringey as you'd expect but its still not good. They at least try to flesh out the characters a little more including allowing you to become friends with Marlin. The farm map it says to install is also loving massive and a nice change of pace. I would recommend it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Is that the mod that makes it canon that Abigail is the wizard's daughter?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

World Famous W posted:

Is that the mod that makes it canon that Abigail is the wizard's daughter?

No mod needed for that :colbert:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How long does it take to hit lvl9 farming from only planting wild seeds? I assume you pretty much have to go forest farm for this and plant a lot of rice in spring

I did a run where I not only didn't buy seeds, I also threw gifted seeds away, so no melon seeds from the museum etc, and also I didn't buy any animals. Only foraged seeds allowed. I did the forest farm and also spent a lot of time in the mine levels with weeds, to harvest extra mixed seeds. It took quite a while to get to level 9! Probably over a year. Especially because if you plant the wild seeds made from foraged items, it gives you foraging skill rather than farming. But if you have animals it's much easier, because tending them raises your farming skill as well. I did this run before rice existed, but that would have helped!

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What the guy above said but I got a ton of mixed seeds and got a lot of corn in summer and it stayed over into fall so I got a lot of exp in farming from that. I think I got to level 9 farming around my first winter. Got level 10 farming second spring from planting seeds and replanting those same crops as seeds again. I also didn't plant all that much rice in spring but did do forest farm since it has the weeds that always have mixed seeds. As a result I had about 60 mixed seeds to plant every season.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Getting an early coffee plant and just going nuts replanting helps, too.

The trouble I had with the no Pierre run is that things pretty quickly boiled down to just waiting on the Traveling Cart.

It’s hard to find a good balance for a more challenging run in Stardew, since it’s so easy to hit the point where you have effectively infinite money. But if you just restrict what you can grow/make it gets a little monotonous.

I still like the longevity mod for a really good first year. Increased crop prices, reduced profits, and taxes change up how you play in an interesting way.

The random jobs become a lot more important since they give you so much more money than crops. Same with mixed seeds, since seeds are so pricey. As you near the end of the season you’ve gotta really start saving as much as possible since taxes take a big chunk and new seeds are so pricey.

Tools are a lot more to upgrade, so those get spaced out. Out of season crops also sell for more, and there are random price fluctuations, so you have an incentive not to sell stuff right away.

In it, I turn off or ignore all the extra crops that were added, the extra costumes, and additional dialogue.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What happens if you can’t pay the taxes?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

taxman comes and beats up your wife

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my god... the signs were all there...

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

What happens if you can’t pay the taxes?

You have a negative balance and anything you earn goes against that until it's paid off. It can really skunk you at the start of a season if you do have anything stored up to pay it off with.

You can check you tax bill at any point, so if you keep an eye on it you can usually plan around it. You can stock away some crops/artisanal goods to sell right when the season changes--you get both the out of season boost to their sale price, plus you avoid the tax on them for the previous season.

Since the price fluctuates on everything, I've found that I tend to hold on to a bunch of crop until I either it's a great day to sell or I need the money right then.

There are also diminishing returns on individual crops, so there's some incentive to diversify your crops.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

On one hand I get the whole ridiculousness of selling infinite goods without affecting the price but on the other hand there is no way a single person farming by hand on an acre of land could oversaturate the potato market or whatever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The millions that farmer earns on their silly little farm in the boonies doesn’t jive with that sense of scale, though. That said, it’s definitely better to not think about that too hard since the scale is gonna break down somehow no matter how you try to rationalize it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My headcanon is that blueberries, cranberries, and starfruit have horrifying military applications and The Farmer has a lucrative contract to produce them for the army.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Now I'm really worried why Lewis enjoys a fresh blueberry.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they heal wounds. you can get mauled by zombies or blasted with fire and eat berries and be perfectly fine. they are biotech, remnants of a bygone age from dwarf/elf conflicts

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They are also the size of a human head.

Come to think of it, you need to sell six massive diamonds to afford a large tv. I... have no idea how anything money works. But I've made some decent progress on planting hedges on my farm instead of fences. Apparently you can pickle tea leaves.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

The millions that farmer earns on their silly little farm in the boonies doesn’t jive with that sense of scale, though. That said, it’s definitely better to not think about that too hard since the scale is gonna break down somehow no matter how you try to rationalize it.

Is it really millions, though? It's millions of gold, sure, but that's not millions of dollars. Not that Stardew prices are remotely consistent (nor does it, in fact, remotely matter), but based on how much stuff costs, you're not real-world millionaire level when you're Stardew millionaire level. Might be something like an order of 10x-100x less "wealth", you know?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
In the real world, a single seed also doesn't usually cost sixty or a hundred bucks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Poil posted:

They are also the size of a human head.

Come to think of it, you need to sell six massive diamonds to afford a large tv. I... have no idea how anything money works. But I've made some decent progress on planting hedges on my farm instead of fences. Apparently you can pickle tea leaves.

salty tea leaf

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

showbiz_liz posted:

In the real world, a single seed also doesn't usually cost sixty or a hundred bucks.

And furniture usually doesn’t cost only 10x a single seed but here we are

I WARNED YALL

I FUCKIN WARNED YALL

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

100 gold for a stone? Jesus.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, I live beside an obelisk and it’s never warped me to useful parts of town!

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Bogart posted:

salty tea leaf

It’s called oolong

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bogart posted:

Also, I live beside an obelisk and it’s never warped me to useful parts of town!

In fairness, if you started making requests by directly addressing my crotch I'd probably bitch slap you to oblivion.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Bogart posted:

speak for yourself buddy

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

showbiz_liz posted:

Sure but those seeds grow in 0.5-2 weeks, which even accounting for the seasons being a third of the length points to them being very impressive magibiotechnology.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've started up a modded playthrough with the aim of playing it a bit more "chill" than my first save, where while I wasn't super powergaming I still ended up tunnel-visioning on the most profitable crops. My intent this go around was to just play around with modded plants/machines and build a meadery/brewery/vineyard/soda factory all-in-one with the main PPJA pack and most of the mods that support it. Other than the fact the bundle mod I have installed requires at least 20 matching rarity/colors on a lot of things, and sets of 10/20 of the regional fish in gold rarity, I've actually been able to relax playing instead of super number-crunching. I think I'm gonna prune some mods that I'm not using down, but otherwise it's been fine so far.

Does anyone have a good outline on how slimes work? I never messed with the slime hutch at all on my first playthrough and it seems like the perfect weird and vaguely-probably-not-worth-it timesink for this one.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
All your answers are on the wiki: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Slime_Hutch

But you pretty much nailed it in your description.

Can you share the mods you're using and your feedback on them?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The Wiki has a basic article on the Slime Hutch:

But it's basiclly:
Acquire Slime Eggs:
You'll get one from the Adventurer's Guild guy when you build your Slime Hutch. More can be acquired by compressing 100 Slime Ingredients in a Slime Egg-Press, or as a rare drop from killing Slimes. The Slime Press has a random chance of producing a particular color of slime egg; Green will be the most common, and purple the least common.

Put them in a Slime Incubator in the Slime Hutch:
The Slime hutch has one built-in incubator, you can make and place more. It takes about 3 days to go from a Slime Egg to a Slime.

Slimes come in male and female varieties (males have an antenna). Once you've got both males and females, the slimes will start breeding, and the population will increase on its own to a maximum of 20.

Keep the Water Trough Full:
Fill the water trough from the Watering Can (nothing else will fill it in the stock game.) If there's sufficient water in the trough for the number of slimes, the slimes will produce Slime Balls. Each Slime Ball requires 5 slimes in the hutch, and consumes trough cell of water. Slime Balls can be harvestedto produce Slime Ingredients and Petrified Slimes; on most days with four Slime Balls, I generally wind up with a little under 100 slime ingredients per day, and a few Petrified Slimes.

Slime Eggs are valued depending on color, but even the green ones sell for twice the amount that 100 slime ingredients do.

The presumably-intended play mechanic is that you would enter the Slime Hutch and brave their attacks (or ignore them if you're wearing the Slime Charmer Ring), while gathering the eggs and filling the troughs.

The following things are true, however:
- Incubated Slimes will hatch adjacent to the Incubator that spawned them.
- Slimes do not need to be able to reach the trough to consume the water in it.
- Slime Balls can be produced in any valid area of the Slime Hutch, regardless of whether the slimes can reach it.
- Slime Balls will not be produced on Slime Hutch floors that are covered with tiles.

This allows the construction of relatively-safe slime lodges, where you can cordon off the slimes with objects, gates, and fences into an area you've covered with floor tiles, allowing you to harvest the Slime Balls and refill the water trough with minimal annoyance.

(The above Slime Hutch also makes use of the Automate mod and path linkages to allow slime eggs to be passed from the chest near the entrance to the upper-left incubators without entering the slime enclosure.)

maltesh fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 11, 2020

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Ah cool, so it's a bit more straightforward than I thought. I figured I'd have to worry about color values but apparently that's just specifically for ore slimes.

ILL Machina posted:

Can you share the mods you're using and your feedback on them?

Sure, alongside visual staples like Better Artisan Good Icons and Seasonal Outfits, and QoL stuff like Range Highlight, Automate and all the prerequisite things the mods need.

The main ones are:
- PPJA Mega Pack (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1935) Which is a combination of:
-Fruits and Veggies
-More Trees
-Mizu's Flowers
-Fresh Meat (Grow meat plants instead of butchering)
-Fantasy Crops (Basic ore crops)
-Even More Recipes
I like the extra variety of crops and foods this adds, and I don't really want to butcher my animals and Fresh Meat works really nicely for that. I think I enjoy the tree variety the most actually, even though trees are still kinda weak growing a massive orchard is fun.

- Artisan Valley (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1926)
This ties everything together. It adds a -ton- of different machines to process all the new raw material. The only real problem I have with this one is that you have most of the recipes unlocked from the start for some reason, but I might've set it up wrong. Wasn't really an issue because I didn't have the raw materials to make them. I think they're supposed to be in the Khadija's Recipe Shop since I have that installed, but they weren't?

- Artisanal Soda Makers (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/5173?tab=files)
Neat little mod that adds what look like sodastreams to the game. Visually they don't fit much, but it's got some fun little crafting chains to make fruit sodas and flavored colas.

- More New Fish (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/3578)
Adds a ton of fish to the game. I like the variety since I like to fish, but it clogs things up a bit and has made a couple quests harder than they should be. I have the linked Hisame's Craftables and Hisame's New Recipes which are kinda obsoleted by 1.4 stuff, since they're prerequisites for the Mermaid Island that completes the set of mods. I'm thinking of removing those three, since the island requires the fish tank bundles to be completed before you can get there, and that's a little wacky with the bundle mod I'm using. They also make Willy say some really broken english lines for some reason.

- Stardew Aquarium (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/6372)
I haven't done a ton of it yet but I like this one. Essentially an Animal Crossing museum fish exhibit but for Stardew. The gift shop gets more stock as you get more fish in there. Doesn't display all the modded fish but they're listed in the ledger.

- Underground Secrets (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/6597)
Cute mod that adds a lot of little underground touches, like clusters of ores and the occasional very rare mushroom tree. Also adds little traps, altars, and challenges for chests. The chests are -way- too strong for the mines though, since I've gotten 3 prismatic shards in year 1. Probably balanced for the skull cave. The config unfortunately doesn't let me nerf the chests, so I've taken to avoiding them. Everything else in it has been relatively okay though.

- Challenging Community Center Bundles for PPJA (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/6361)
I'm not super happy with it, but it was the easier of the two mods I found that had support for PPJA (This one doesn't have strawberries in the forage bundle or -50- iridium sprinklers as a reward for spring crops). I think it just wasn't tested without a rarity-unifier since 20 is a bit much on foraging. Fishing is mostly fine since it's easy to get consistent golds. It adds some of the cheaper PPJA crops as out-of-season forages, which is neat, but they're still a little strong money-wise compared to the vanilla forages and show up -way- more often for some reason. I think I might make my own that's a bit closer to vanilla, since that shouldn't be too hard.

- Happy Fish Jump (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/6516)
With the sounds turned off. It's super cute, but kinda loud if you don't mute it since all the wild fish jump at once.

There's also some animal mods I haven't really played with, and one or two extra crop mods I haven't mentioned. I mostly just browsed the nexus for mods that caught my eye, then after installing the PPJA pack skimmed This page and added mods that looked like they'd fit the setup. I know I have raccoons and phoenixes installed, but I still have a basic coop so it's just chickens for me so far. I do need to do a cleanup pass since there's some in there that I think just clog up the shop that I'm not using at all. It's a little silly how much ended up in my mods folder, but it's mostly compatibility or requirements for other things.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Poque posted:

No mod needed for that :colbert:

The mod makes it so Pierre is still the father.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I'm doing a JoJo mart run. It's kind of nice to be planning the farm and realize that there's no reason to rush any farm buildings, or fish on rainy days. Jojomart has made me a chill farmer after all these years.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

But think of what your big city attitude is doing to the poor small town community and their already struggling general store :(

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I was thinking last night "I bet I get a bitchy letter from Pierre. Well, like additional ones I guess."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's not like you asked him to buy an infinite number of seeds each season for a town containing 1 or fewer farmers.

Personally, the last few years, I've been buying almost all my seeds at the Night Market, the Desert Oasis, and the Egg Festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the Night Market so much. I think it's my favorite festival now. It's just so pleasant and calm, and it's cool to get more interactions with villagers without having to really participate in anything. I wish you had the option to just watch the Egg or Fish festivals after the first time.