Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks rough at the reservoir. The fire grew so quickly that everyone was cut off and trapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

No resources have been assigned, no tankers available. 0% containment, obviously. The current advice to trapped vacationers is "get in the water."

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Vox Nihili posted:

No resources have been assigned, no tankers available. 0% containment, obviously. The current advice to trapped vacationers is "get in the water."

https://twitter.com/DustinMulvaney/status/1302314258974171137

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Better statewide time lapse image

https://twitter.com/DrewTumaABC7/status/1302400260887572481

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
me, in 100-120f+ weather: time to go out in the middle of the woods. the great outdoors

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Speaking of Colorado, there is literally ash falling from the sky right now

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Generally it's a death trap to get in a pond, pool or water tank during a bushfire as they don't protect you from radiant heat or smoke. This guy was drat lucky that his boat and snorkel worked, he could have been boiled alive or suffocated.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that whole thing seems less than ideal

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Helith posted:

Generally it's a death trap to get in a pond, pool or water tank during a bushfire as they don't protect you from radiant heat or smoke. This guy was drat lucky that his boat and snorkel worked, he could have been boiled alive or suffocated.

It’s still a better option than having a 100% chance of burning to death.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ratbert90 posted:

It’s still a better option than having a 100% chance of burning to death.

Oh yeah, it’s absolutely an ‘I’m going to die and this is my only option left’ option.
It should never be anyone’s actual plan to survive a bushfire though.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This guys just saying that so all the ponds will be empty when it's time to hide and he can enjoy them all to himself

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Helith posted:

Oh yeah, it’s absolutely an ‘I’m going to die and this is my only option left’ option.
It should never be anyone’s actual plan to survive a bushfire though.

The dumbest thing they did was go to a dry area in 100+ heat with loving FIRES ALL AROUND THEM. I hate how so many people are that loving dumb.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also, what, a pond that's like 40 feet across and however many six to eight feet deep with a way to keep breathing? I'd love to see the science on how much a wildfire can actually heat up that quantity of water

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Helith posted:

You can also get scooped up by fire fighting planes as they harvest your water

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It belongs to the tribe anyway

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

This guys just saying that so all the ponds will be empty when it's time to hide and he can enjoy them all to himself

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Pussy Boss posted:

Speaking of Colorado, there is literally ash falling from the sky right now

You up by Fort Collins? Was driving home from work in Denver and thought some thunderstorms were popping off that way it was so dark

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

From my backyard 15 minutes ago:

I'm about .7 miles from the mandatory evac zone.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Traxis posted:

oof start packing your bags and get ready to rumble

it might be worth leaving now if the wind is that way, i guess depends on how bad traffic is too

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Helith posted:

Would it work for a fast-moving wildfire? I would think for a large body of water (pond-sized or bigger) there'd be enough thermal mass in the water to keep you cool and it wouldn't heat up much. Smoke inhalation...yeah you're kinda hosed there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Traxis posted:

why are you taking pictures instead of packing and leaving? gtfo now and stay safe!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/TTrogdon/status/1302375987657797633

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ratbert90 posted:

The dumbest thing they did was go to a dry area in 100+ heat with loving FIRES ALL AROUND THEM. I hate how so many people are that loving dumb.

He did it 43 years ago, so you can't really blame him too much for not having the foresight

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Luneshot posted:

Would it work for a fast-moving wildfire? I would think for a large body of water (pond-sized or bigger) there'd be enough thermal mass in the water to keep you cool and it wouldn't heat up much. Smoke inhalation...yeah you're kinda hosed there.

There's a twitter thread here where he describes what happened

https://twitter.com/DustinMulvaney/status/1302314263881474051

He basically said he'd have died without the boat protecting his head, and probably his air supply, while he was in the pond, but yeah it seems that the pond water didn't heat up enough to harm him. As I said he was drat lucky to survive.

Helith has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Sep 6, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Luneshot posted:

that's why you rig up an n95 to your snorkel, thereby rendering yourself 100% immune to wild fires

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Traxis posted:

please pack anything that's important to you and gtfo of there like right the hell now :ohdear:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1302408923429974016?s=20

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Only an order of magnitude off, actual number is 150

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

still, psh, the roni takes 1000 per day and nobody gives a poo poo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

me, in 100-120f+ weather: time to go out in the middle of the woods. the great outdoors

literally what me and my fiancée did this summer in Texas. Good lake chillin tho but the hiking was brutal

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The real number is closer to 10,000 imo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am a mammoth pool cover up truther

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Egg Moron posted:

I am a mammoth pool cover up truther

Who's to say they didn't die of old age

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Luneshot posted:

Nah the radiant heat can still very easily get you. Best advice is to avoid unless there is literally nothing else.

CFA posted:

CFS bushfire safety project manager Peta O’Donohue said seeking refuge in water — such as a swimming pool or dam — should only be considered as an absolute last resort when people are unable to get to a solid structure.

“If you are to go into water, whether a pool, dam or the sea, you risk not only a lack of oxygen due to smoke and intensity of the air temperature, but also exposure to deadly radiant heat,” she said.

...People in Ash Wednesday were being killed by radiant impact from 20m away, so radiant impact is a pretty significant thing for people to think about.

....“Sheltering in a building is the best place for anybody to be in a bushfire because buildings are very solid structures generally and they intercept a lot of radiant heat.”.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...0019ce7a237fe65

(the CFA is the Country Fire Authority in Australia and are well up on anything related to bushfire safety).

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The mammoth pool massacre

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Helith posted:

How on earth would a pool that big have heated to boiling? That doesn't seem possible

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The water doesn't boil, higher energy infrared can pass through water but not human bodies so you end up catching a shitload of radiant heat the water doesn't. So just you boil, not the whole pond.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

i say swears online posted:

How on earth would a pool that big have heated to boiling? That doesn't seem possible

If the fire is big enough and hot enough and intense enough it can produce enough radiant heat to kill you no matter how big a pond you are in. Bushfires/wildfires can get up to insane temps.
It’s well known advice in Australia that you don’t get into water during a bushfire unless it is your absolute last resort.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

The water doesn't boil, higher energy infrared can pass through water but not human bodies so you end up catching a shitload of radiant heat the water doesn't. So just you boil, not the whole pond.

holy poo poo this is making my brain explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

so a muddy swamp is way better than a crystal clear lake?