Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The 2016 Ecto 1 can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thread challenge: build a four wheeled vehicle that can seat/carry at least four minifgures.

I know I'm getting DQ'ed for this, but I finally finished it the other day, the Fast and Furious Dodge Carger with the cast of Friends, or F&F&F.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I did two orders within 15 minutes of each other last week. One shipped yesterday. The other is still in warehouse. I am very much of the opinion that LEGO shipping is not being very well run at the moment. I know they are busy but that's kind of nuts.

They really need the ability to combine orders without having to call and wait on hold.

2 orders because the second item went from OOS to in stock while I was doing the first order. 15 minutes because I fuddled around with the website to see if I could just edit the order, gave up and did the 2nd order.

On the other hand: They are probably busier then usual and hopefully observing some safer practices that keep their workers safe in exchange for slightly slower output. The second order might not be shipped for more reasons then it was ordered slightly later?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thread challenge: build a four wheeled vehicle that can seat/carry at least four minifgures.

Yayyyy!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

veni veni veni posted:

Tie interceptors are not red.

The questionably-canonical Royal Guard ones are. :goonsay:

I have the original "bruised" Black & Blue TIE-In, so that's why I noticed its absence.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m kind of an OT snob. If it didn’t appear in any of those movies I don’t really care about it.

I justify the AT-DP and resistance X-Wing with them being unused original designs. But really I just think they look cool.

I considered taking out the Venus fly trap mouth from the sarlacc pit at one time because it’s only in the bad version of Star Wars. Yes I know I’m the worst :v:

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

And that reasoning is exactly why you do not sort by color.

The exception is when you have so many pieces in a certain category that it would be useful to sort that category by color

My sorting is based on how i see the part distribution in the MOCs i design usually end up.

I have these categories (bricklink categories)
-Brick (bricks of 1 stud width)
-Brick (all other sizes)
-Plate (1 and 2 stud width)
-Plate (all other sizes)
-Brick, modified
-Plate, modified
-Brick, round + Cone
-Brick, slope
-Brick, slope inverted
-Brick, arch
-Literally everything else (this is a box of nightmares with like 300 different parts, but such low volume it doesnt make sense to separate them out)

Ok you got me to commit. I started today.
Here’s an album of my progress so far:
https://imgur.com/a/lBYEq4Q
How do you deal with stickered and printed pieces? Just sort them into those above mentioned categories?

My current sorting is the same as yours but adds:
-Panel, window, windscreen, roll cage
-Wedge
-Wedge, plate
-Dish + Plate, round
-Tile
-Tile, modified
-Technic/bionicle
-Stickered/printed/decorated

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All my printed pieces are in a single ziploc bag, they have such low quantities there's no point to sorting by part type or color or anything.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

My method of sorting is probably terrible but its been working for me. I would love to go to a container per part type, but there are so many different parts and storage is expensive.

New color goes into a bin (I've been using these but they seem out of stock everywhere now - https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-6qt-clear-storage-box-white-lid/-/A-13794902)
Once bin starts getting full split into two, one for plates and another for bricks
Once those start getting full split into a bin for 1xX plates/bricks, and 2xX or greater plates/bricks
Stack like bricks together (so I'll have strips of 20 1x1 bricks, 20 1x2 bricks, etc in one container. Makes it easy to find ones of matching quality. I have not tried that with plates yet)
Speciality parts go into their own container. For example I have one for slopes, another for inverted slopes, round parts, engines, doors, etc.
I have a stack of these - https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Organizer-Spill-32COMP-13-7X8-6X1/dp/B001B0S2H6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=darice+bin&qid=1599352434&sr=8-5 (which have doubled in price recently) for sorting very small pieces. I have one for 1x translucent parts, a few for minifig accessories, one of small tiles, printed tiles, printed bricks, technic parts, etc

Right now I'm in a no new parts phase, unless its a specific part needed to finish off a set. I would love to catalog everything I have into someplace like Rebrickable to see what sets I can build or almost build, but I think I am going to move soon and that would take way too long.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can start out cheap with storage, you don't have to blow several hundred dollars on it all at once. When starting out just get a variety of ziploc bags, gallon size for your big stuff and the sandwich/snack sizes for tiny things.

Then once you out grow that start replacing with plastic storage stuff. Most everyone likes the little drawer systems but they come with the problem if you don't buy the exact same brand every time nothing will be compatible with each other. It's also relatively expensive. I've gone the route of industrial type stuff.. still have the compatibility issues I guess but the price per bin is a lot less. Like I've been using these:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/shelf/little-bin-plastic-stacking-bins-2-3-4-x-5-1-4-x-3-yellow

Initially I put them in those cheap under-bed storage bins you can get from target. Or you can stack them (until they get too full) and they seal together pretty good.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DrChu posted:

My method of sorting is probably terrible but its been working for me. I would love to go to a container per part type, but there are so many different parts and storage is expensive.

I’ve started doing something similar-ish. I bought a ton of those clear plastic shoe bins, and have been sorting by taxonomy. Bricks, plates, tiles, printed pieces, technic, slopes, round pieces, minifigs & accessories, specialty big building pieces (eg western log building plates, rock plates windows doors etc), and transparent. Once a shoebin gets full, I’ll subdivide that by the next logical quantity split, eg 2x2 bricks gets a bin, 1x2 plates gets a bin.

Brick Architect has a really good article about it.

A few months ago I purchased the Really Useful Boxes bins since Papimax has solidly been out of stock for roughly a year since I started checking. I’ve got like 4 of those drawers full of tightly packed train track for instance, and I need to order dividers for the rest.

E: just bought dividers! And new drawers... and tops.... drat this hobby gets expensive fast

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 6, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I ended up going with what I had on hand, which was tackle boxes. They seem to work pretty loving well. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want to break things down. I have it broken out by like 30 different categories. I'm worried this is going to snowball.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

veni veni veni posted:

Tie Interceptor and bomber MOCs are on my short list of things to do, since LEGO refuses to show them any love, but the last official one they did was like 20 years ago and looks super fugly.

Was really tempted to get that red one a while back but it was red, and tie interceptors are not red.

I have the interceptor and bomber and they feature blue bricks that look wacky but i still love them.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Attention Space Race fans!

Look out! Like a bolt from the blue, it's Spyrius II! The Spyrius' Mendacious Medalist boasts interstitial variable phase hyper-drive* and an edgachrome coating*, granting it unparalleled top speed*!
Race driver: Jane Deau. Recently placed 1st in the Magellan Cloud Cup, propelling her to the headlines of the sector's sports coverage. 100% not involved in the rash of illegal shipping-lane races reported by local Space Police.
Cab pilot: Stew Suedonim. Just a simple truck driver with no background in interstitial variable phase hyper-drives which are clearly illegal for use outside of tightly regulated research purposes due to the massive environmental damage they can cause to the space-time continuum. No potential holes to other dimensions here, no sir.
Pit crew: Major Kartofski. Brain the size of a planet, and they ask him to fix a spaceship. You call that job satisfaction? Because he doesn't.
Manager: Neal Notafaiknaem. Former record label executive, fell on hard times when Polkatronic music fell out of fashion. Currently lives in the race rig when not on tour.

*Reports of an advanced hyper-drive system being stolen from an M-tron research facility totally unrelated
*Red makes it go faster
*Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, steers like a cow

LEGO classic space background graphics aesthetics became vaporwave album art

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So I'm getting the bricklink orders together to actually build my Enterprise bridge moc from a few months back.

I've managed to refine the build, compromise on a couple colours and pull out all the old or rare variants of several pieces (always check you're using the most commonly available version folks) and managed to half the price. So that's a win.

However, I'm still struggling to find the control panels (printed black 1x2 tiles) and don't want to have to piece it out across 6 or seven sellers for something that always felt like a placeholder.

Anyone know any custom printers that do space or aircraft themed computer/control panel prints for tiles? Would even take stickers.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Attention Space Race fans!

All of these MOCs and descriptions are just fantastic :allears:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone know any custom printers that do space or aircraft themed computer/control panel prints for tiles? Would even take stickers.

Not sure what your threshold for DIY is, but you can buy printable sticker sheets and make your own pretty easy! Get a slicey thing for even cuts and you’re off

I can’t think of the name of it, but the transparent 1x4 window Brick that’s 3 high and studded top and bottom would be fantastic for clear stickers and to make the in-wall control panels of the bridge. Like these ones, but double width. You could print a dark shading and add lighting elements behind them for turbo realism

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 6, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

So I'm getting the bricklink orders together to actually build my Enterprise bridge moc from a few months back.

I've managed to refine the build, compromise on a couple colours and pull out all the old or rare variants of several pieces (always check you're using the most commonly available version folks) and managed to half the price. So that's a win.

However, I'm still struggling to find the control panels (printed black 1x2 tiles) and don't want to have to piece it out across 6 or seven sellers for something that always felt like a placeholder.

This is one of those ultra rare cases where I'd actually recommend... ebay, of all things. For whatever reason*, there are often sellers that have collections of similar pieces, so there are folks that, for instance, sell a variety of various printed computer/control tiles. Check out this guy, for instance.

*the reason this weird ebay market exists is because they're targeting folks who want some extra parts but who are not really aware of Bricklink, Brickowl, Bricks & Pieces, and the rest of the more lego-centric aftermarket. So you will definitely pay more per piece, but hey!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not sure what your threshold for DIY is, but you can buy printable sticker sheets and make your own pretty easy! Get a slicey thing for even cuts and you’re off

Not opposed, I do plan to eventually design my own and get pro printing at some point.

Carbohydrates posted:

This is one of those ultra rare cases where I'd actually recommend... ebay, of all things. For whatever reason*, there are often sellers that have collections of similar pieces, so there are folks that, for instance, sell a variety of various printed computer/control tiles. Check out this guy, for instance.

*the reason this weird ebay market exists is because they're targeting folks who want some extra parts but who are not really aware of Bricklink, Brickowl, Bricks & Pieces, and the rest of the more lego-centric aftermarket. So you will definitely pay more per piece, but hey!

Oh goldmine! He has all the ones I was using! Cheers!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PowerBeard posted:

I know I'm getting DQ'ed for this, but I finally finished it the other day, the Fast and Furious Dodge Carger with the cast of Friends, or F&F&F.

Could this car be any faster?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Dogen posted:

i believe lightmybricks has such a thing

e: poo poo, sold out https://www.lightmybricks.com/collections/lego-minifigure-display-frame-case

Maybe check their US distributor(s) if you're in the US?

Those do not look very good. A lot of wasted space. Oh well, I'll probably just buy the ones and try to get some led lights along the edge of the frame.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Question for you all; my Helicarrier (the big UCS one from about 5 years ago) has its stickers pealing off already really badly.

Its not been in direct sunlight or anything unusual.

Does anyone have any solutions to this or any idea if Lego is able to replace sticker sheets for sets that are no longer in production?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Glue or buy a new sticker sheet from BL then be fastidious with application. Remove the old stickers, wash them very thoroughly, then use gloves to get the new stickers on. You want to avoid any body oils or dirt or anything that could get in the way. The sad fact is, stickers don't always last. Some are better than others.

Another option is to buy the parts with stickers already applied on BL. Those are usually at the end of the parts list for said item.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Pulled the trigger on the Enterprise parts. Never bought such large orders before. Expecting some big ole boxes in the post soon!

Now can I justify a lighting kit...?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Enterprise parts. Never bought such large orders before. Expecting some big ole boxes in the post soon!

The first big project splurge is a weird feeling of anticipation and pain because these large MOCs always cost so much. But it's always worth it. That bridge is loving killer and I dan't wait to see it built.

I have placed 227 Bricklink orders, by the way. I hope it doesn't track the cumulative cost somewhere because I don't wanna see it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

deoju posted:

For displaying minifigs I've got some of these...
https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html
The listed price is kind of high, but Michaels has coupons and sales all the time.
Each shelf is 37x8 studs wide. Modifying them to open on the other side was as easy as removing the wall mounts and installing them upside down.

These are half off now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lizard Combatant posted:

With the time, effort, and money spent already, can you justify *not* getting a lighting kit?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Slugworth posted:

With the time, effort, and money spent already, can you justify *not* getting a lighting kit?

Gotta second this. Especially for the Enterprise, having it light up just adds that finishing touch.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Y'all make compelling points.

Carbohydrates posted:

The first big project splurge is a weird feeling of anticipation and pain because these large MOCs always cost so much. But it's always worth it. That bridge is loving killer and I dan't wait to see it built.

I have placed 227 Bricklink orders, by the way. I hope it doesn't track the cumulative cost somewhere because I don't wanna see it.

Holy smokes, that's rather a lot...

It's just been sitting there mocking me until I finally actually sat down and worked out how to shave half the price off.

Had to sacrifice my lovely olive green grill pieces sadly. There isn't enough olive green in sets.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have bough a lot of bricks on BL but have placed few orders. Shipping prices here and the toll fees are such a huge % of small orders i go to great lenghts to buy as few orders as possible.

Im actually kinda proud that i was able to buy about 90-95% of my 80k piece MOC from 6 sellers. I literally redesigned some of my MOC to use parts the sellers had in some cases (simple things like changing Plate 2x8 to 2of 2x4 plates for example)
I spent a week filling carts in a bunch of stores, swapping lots in and out, cross referencing with the part list.

For me that was a great example of how Bricklinks auto purchase doesn’t work at all for my country. BL gave me a quote of around $15k (add shipping and 25% toll) and those 6 orders cost me $4,5k. (That is with shipping and toll)

Im kinda jealous of you americans being able to buy everything domestically!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 6, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ineptitude posted:

I have bough a lot of bricks on BL but have placed few orders. Shipping prices here and the toll fees are such a huge % of small orders i go to great lenghts to buy as few orders as possible.

Im actually kinda proud that i was able to buy about 90-95% of my 80k piece MOC from 6 sellers. I literally redesigned some of my MOC to use parts the sellers had in some cases (simple things like changing Plate 2x8 to 2of 2x4 plates for example)
I spent a week filling carts in a bunch of stores, swapping lots in and out, cross referencing with the part list.

For me that was a great example of how Bricklinks auto purchase doesn’t work at all for my country. BL gave me a quote of around $15k (add shipping and 25% toll) and those 6 orders cost me $4,5k. (That is with shipping and toll)

80k?! Can you post a picture? What is this behemoth?

Auto purchase option is pretty terrible. I always have to identify the problem parts going for the most and goose the ratios of price to piece for a couple hours. It really needs an overhaul cause if I can do it in an hour, a machine should be able to do it in a second.

I got my 2.5k build down to 6 sellers, but about 70-80% came from one guy in Poland. Good prices, plenty of good reviews and good shipping too. $100 less than the next local seller who had the same amount of parts so I still came ahead even with express international. He must have bought a tonne of UCS B wings on sale too judging by his wonderful supply of 6x6 grey tiles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ineptitude posted:

Not really. My orders always end up with ordering from Germany or Poland or something because some part I need is only being offered for ripoff prices in the US.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
AutoBuy or whatever it is called is the worst. The key is to set a max price per piece on your wanted list to avoid getting insane quotes. Sometimes a store will have all the big pieces you want for a good price, but the 1x1 rounds you're getting are $4.00 each :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like that has to be on purpose to trick people who aren't paying close attention to what the auto buy is putting in their carts. It would be nice if you could report stores that are clearly jacking up the price on some pieces for absolutely no reason. Whenever I see that, I make note of what the store was to make sure I don't buy anything else from them.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I bought Barracuda Bay literally 2 months ago and tomorrow I finally have the opportunity to start on it. :v: goddamn I can't wait to spend hours and hours just watching movies and building what I've heard is one of the best sets in years if not ever

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
PoBB is a great set. I can't remember where I put the sails or the extra pieces for turning it into the full ship, though. I'm doing some minor tweaks on it to get it just how I want. Pick a Brick and used pieces from BL are en route- it should be interesting...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
My photography skills leave a lot to be desired, but at long last, here are the space racers I built as part of the thread challenge:

In keeping with the classic space theme, this first racer, the Black Falcon, is made entirely from Space Police I pieces, namely the 6986 Galactic Enforcer/Mission Commander. The pilot is Max Nero, a former Blacktron I prisoner who took advantage of the Mission Commander not being shipped with all its pieces to build his own racer and escape the Space Police. The Black Falcon uses coreless warp technology to give him the edge in maneuvering sub-light space at high speed.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This next racer, the Futura Cruiser, is made entirely of pieces from the 6982 Explorien Starship. Classic Space pilot Nedwina White took advantage of the Explorien fleet's decommissioning to create her masterpiece of brute engine power over conventional astrodynamics. Large structural base elements like a monocoque engine bay and wing-mounted ionic diffusers ensure the Futura Cruiser is stable at the highest known velocities.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

My photography skills leave a lot to be desired, but at long last, here are the space racers I built as part of the thread challenge:

In keeping with the classic space theme, this first racer, the Black Falcon, is made entirely from Space Police I pieces, namely the 6986 Galactic Enforcer/Mission Commander. The pilot is Max Nero, a former Blacktron I prisoner who took advantage of the Mission Commander not being shipped with all its pieces to build his own racer and escape the Space Police. The Black Falcon uses coreless warp technology to give him the edge in maneuvering sub-light space at high speed.

I love the rear engine on this one. It has an aesthetic shape and angle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And this is just loving wild-looking! Good job, and love your character stories :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A leaker I follow on Instagram, who is pretty solid when it comes to accuracy and scoops, says there’ll be a Looney Tunes CMF series next summer.