Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I buy iPhones because I still like Apple’s stuff even though it’s overpriced. I’ve had them since the first iPhone and it would take something truly amazing to get me to switch at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If that's the worst example you can muster then you've proved my point.

Apple still isn't an advertising company, they're a hardware and services company. They don't make 80% of their revenue from aggregating user data and selling ads against it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 4, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d buy an android phone if I didn’t find them annoying whenever I use the ones my gf buys.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’d buy an android phone if I didn’t find them annoying whenever I use the ones my gf buys.

I have one through work and it’s incredibly frustrating to use.

The face scanner sucks and the in screen fingerprint reader works maybe 50% of the time? I’m typing my password in too drat much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I buy iPhones because I’m used to one and don’t care enough about price or performance comparisons to change.

It’s a gadget that sits in my pocket that I occasionally use to reply to text messages, read my email, GPS navigate, and play podcasts/music in the car. All the apps I rely on are multi platform so I suppose I could get by with a much cheaper device but see point 1 above.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I buy iPhones because I still like Apple’s stuff even though it’s overpriced. I’ve had them since the first iPhone and it would take something truly amazing to get me to switch at this point.

I don't think the 11 is overpriced and the SE certainly isn't.

The whole 'Other' storage thing was what sent me back to Android - it made my 32GB 7 Plus absolutely unusable and there was never a long term fix in the entire time I had the phone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I appreciate the relative stability and extended OS support.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

dissss posted:

I don't think the 11 is overpriced and the SE certainly isn't.

The whole 'Other' storage thing was what sent me back to Android - it made my 32GB 7 Plus absolutely unusable and there was never a long term fix in the entire time I had the phone.

was it like relatively rare (anecdotally, i know a few people that had it), cause it's surprising it took so long to get addressed?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I buy iPhones cause they pretty and nice camera. I can’t wait for navy blue iPhone.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Proteus Jones posted:

What's your alternative? Bitch and moan about how poo poo everything is?

I mean I get it, things suck. What do you expect from all this, here in this forum? Do you want us to agree and go "yeah, everything sucks. What's the point" as well?

Being nihilist must be exhausting.

i dunno, maybe there's something between sticking one's head in the sand and nihilistic cataplexy. :thunk:

just being aware that corporations only have their stockholders' narrow interests at heart seems like a good start

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The specialized iOS apps I use are enough now to keep me on the platform. Apollo, Awful, Overcast, plus it always seemed like iOS apps from major companies have a level of polish that’s lacking on Android.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The fact that I continue to find random force touch stuff in the OS seems crazy. :( I just realized you could force touch the timer button in control center.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

This happen to anyone? I recently switched from a Pixel 2 to iPhone 11 and sometimes I'll open Messages and a bunch of them are gone until I kill the app and reopen it.

At least one of my contacts' texts were still going to my old phone. I turned off wifi messaging on the old phone but still don't get his texts on my iPhone at all.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maneki Neko posted:

The fact that I continue to find random force touch stuff in the OS seems crazy. :( I just realized you could force touch the timer button in control center.

:aaaaa:

I barely use force touch for anything, I guess I should look into it one of these days

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Maneki Neko posted:

Whooooooa that’s cool

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The screen recording button (in control center) can be forced touched as well. It brings up a list of apps that … can do something with screen recordings, like Facebook Messenger and Skype. By default it’s on Photos app and there is no chance I’m going to tap on Messenger to see what it does.

The WiFi button brings up another menu layer. From there you can force touch the WiFi and Bluetooth icons to choose a network/device to connect to without opening Settings.

Do it on DND and you get quick options to turn it on for an hour, day, or until you leave your current location.

I use the last 2 quite a bit.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a way to get spellcheck to accept two languages? I'm constantly switching and it would be nice if it just recognized them both instead of having to switch all the time. Or what actually happens which is basically every second message being "corrrected" into gibberish in the other language. Makes for some funny messages but it's starting to get old.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You have to add them as an alternate keyboard. You don’t need to actually use it ever but it needs to be on your keyboard list.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

You have to add them as an alternate keyboard. You don’t need to actually use it ever but it needs to be on your keyboard list.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's not how it works for me. I use English and Polish keyboards. Spell check is not cross referenced between them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

wrong thread, sorry

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's not how it works for me. I use English and Polish keyboards. Spell check is not cross referenced between them.

I just wrote this in Englisch mit some random Wörter mixed in and it autocorrects just fine. For that German word I even just typed it out as “woerter” and it automatically capitalized and changed the oe to ö.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yup I tried the same with Polish to poor results.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I wonder if it’s dependent on the language.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

sounds like the feature could use a little more

development time

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Weedle posted:

sounds like the feature could use a little more

development time

What a germane pun

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wonder if it’s dependent on the language.

Probably, I have the same issue with Danish.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Normy posted:

This happen to anyone? I recently switched from a Pixel 2 to iPhone 11 and sometimes I'll open Messages and a bunch of them are gone until I kill the app and reopen it.

At least one of my contacts' texts were still going to my old phone. I turned off wifi messaging on the old phone but still don't get his texts on my iPhone at all.

Haven't heard of that but you might be registered on the RCS service still.

Also I haven't had good luck with autocorrect and having multiple languages at once.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Charles posted:

Haven't heard of that but you might be registered on the RCS service still.

Ah I see there's a way to unregister I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Edit: it worked!

Normy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 5, 2020

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to buy a 3 in 1 wireless charging station that is 7.5w Qi today. Is it gonna work with the next flagship iPhones, ya?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just wrote this in Englisch mit some random Wörter mixed in and it autocorrects just fine. For that German word I even just typed it out as “woerter” and it automatically capitalized and changed the oe to ö.
Yeah, interspersing Dutch woorden on the English keyboard werkt heel goed voor mij.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
And puedo usar palabras de espańol con el idioma English without any problems, but yeah, I had to add the Espańol keyboard to my phone too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's everyone's favourite Hue app? I have been using OnSwitch for a while but I'm thinking of trying iConnectHue.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Housh posted:

I want to buy a 3 in 1 wireless charging station that is 7.5w Qi today. Is it gonna work with the next flagship iPhones, ya?

At 7.5W yes.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Housh posted:

What's everyone's favourite Hue app? I have been using OnSwitch for a while but I'm thinking of trying iConnectHue.

OnSwitch and the official app are the only ones I've used. Shame there aren't better ones.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Housh posted:

What are any of these things?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cowofwar posted:

What are any of these things?

3rd party apps that can control Hue lightbulbs.

Housh posted:

I liked iConnectHue. It’s ugly af though is the only complaint I can think of.

The app can do your basic scheduling: at 7am do this etc but only if I’m (or a specific user that you add, but I live alone so I never tried it) home. What’s neat is that it can do “at 7am turn these lights on if I’m home AND if these lights are on/off”. So like, if I’m up early and I turned on my lights then at 7am it won’t run the sunrise alarm. That’s something the Home and Hue apps can’t do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
All the pictures I'm seeing about a navy blue iPhone actually look more like a faded purple. What's going on? Am I suffering some sort of blue-black white-yellow dress bullshit? Because I like that tint.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
They’re just fanfic renders at this point, wait until it actually comes out to judge the exact shade.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I can't believe we're coming up on new iPhone time again. I still feel like my XS is new and I got it almost TWO YEARS AGO

fuckin' 2020 man....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

fuckin' 2020 man....
New small iPhone in 2020!