Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hogama posted:

It took that long for the limit break bar to fill up and the WoL didn't have a full party for Tank LB3 to shrug it off.

It actually would have been very cool if he did a solo limit break instead of just a not-even-that-flashy raidwide honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Did the crystal tower quests tonight, they were a lot of fun. Only 1 person was a jerk in the whole series and everyone else told them to be nice lol

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Can we at least be honest and say That Guy just has extremely intricate and stupid-looking plot armor? If he was a primal we'd have stomped his rear end into ground-paste six times over.

As to the argument that we are not an immortal, infallible superhero, isn't the canon explanation of the echo buff that we never actually die/lose a fight, but that we are seeing some pre-prescient vision of what not to do if we want to win?

Even when the loss is forced for plot reasons it's always That Guy's Master Plan To Keep Us Alive So He Can Lose Harder, At A Later Time To Be Determined

Personally, I ain't died one time, thank you

except those thirty times that time I fought Titan and effortlessly won, never mind

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Just beat Heavensward, and god that was so good. Went into the final fight completely blind and a had a lot of fun.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Phone posted:

Are you on Primal/Excal? Which class? Have you done Orbonne?

I'll make you a i480 set.

e: this you?
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/27071063/

Ack, sorry for late response. Kinda asked and then got busy irl so wasn’t able to check back in. And yes, that’s me. I’m 80 red mage. I’m definitely under no expectations of free stuff, but very appreciative if you made it for me.

Not sure what I can give in return, but anything you’re after that a newbie 80 might have?

(haven’t done Orbonne, no. I’ve unlocked it, but haven’t yet set aside time to do it yet).

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Speaking of Zenos, I really hope SAM gets a mini-version of his raidwide as their 90 capstone once 6.0 hits.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

postmodifier posted:

Can we at least be honest and say That Guy just has extremely intricate and stupid-looking plot armor? If he was a primal we'd have stomped his rear end into ground-paste six times over.

As to the argument that we are not an immortal, infallible superhero, isn't the canon explanation of the echo buff that we never actually die/lose a fight, but that we are seeing some pre-prescient vision of what not to do if we want to win?

Even when the loss is forced for plot reasons it's always That Guy's Master Plan To Keep Us Alive So He Can Lose Harder, At A Later Time To Be Determined

Personally, I ain't died one time, thank you

except those thirty times that time I fought Titan and effortlessly won, never mind

He's a boss ten levels higher than you. It's not "plot armor" it's literally how the game works. If he wanted to hurt you he could just auto-attack you to death but that wouldn't be very interesting (for him or for the player)

That explanation of the Echo is not canon, as far as I know.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 6, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

postmodifier posted:

I actually had a theory at the time that he was a primal, and I'm still kinda disappointed he wasn't because it would've been really neat. The Empire revere him as this hugely capable warrior and leader, and the Resistance and occupied nations fear him for the vengeance he can enact; it made perfect sense to me that a single man, inspiring tales of such strong emotions, could've become a primal unintentionally. Hell, I suspected the original Zenos might not even be alive anymore, but so many people on both sides believed that someone like that couldn't just DIE that he came back as a manifestation of all those tales.

I turned out to be way off base for that, but it somehow wrapped around and my theory ended up being true somewhere entirely different in Stormblood. It's not mentioned directly in the actual story of the Ivalice raids, but Ultima the High Seraph is as strong as she is because while she was originally just a pretty scary alien being of some kind, people were so terrified of her that she became a primal manifestation of herself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I don't think levels are an in-universe concept but between his training, his golf caddy, his juicy armor and whatever Michael Myers killer instinct bullshit he has in his dome, Zenos was able to outfight you... for a while.

Zenos would probably have gotten swiftly punked by any primal, although I guess a real lovely one he might have been able to one-shot.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 6, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've been thinking about it, and I think levels mostly represent time passing in the story. Like, everything that happens at level 15 happens at around the same time, and if you go back do a level 15 quest it will be taking place in that time period too. So in that sense, your level represents a specific date range in your personal history. A few days on the calendar.

Edit: there are some exceptions though, like the Ishgard job quests that send you back to level 30 (but not before the end of the Dragonsong War) or whenever an older quest was modified to mention that Ala Mhigo is liberated or whatever.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Doing the 3.1 content, and I noticed something Aren't these guys from the A Realm Reborn opening cinematic? Only dressed in black and calling themselves the Warriors of Darkness. I know the Warrior of Darkness is what the WoL becomes in Shadowbringers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
keep playing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

I don't think levels are an in-universe concept but between his training, his golf caddy, his juicy armor and whatever Michael Myers killer instinct bullshit he has in his dome, Zenos was able to outfight you... for a while.

Zenos would probably have gotten swiftly punked by any primal, although I guess a real lovely one he might have been able to one-shot.

Levels are not an in-universe concept in the sense of "ah yes thou hath hittest the number of experience points necessary to reacheth level 22 well done Warrior of Light" but your character does get stronger throughout an expansion, yes. Working out makes you buff and makes you better at using aether.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 6, 2020

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

wokow6 posted:

Doing the 3.1 content, and I noticed something Aren't these guys from the A Realm Reborn opening cinematic? Only dressed in black and calling themselves the Warriors of Darkness. I know the Warrior of Darkness is what the WoL becomes in Shadowbringers.

Those guys actually go all the way back to the 1.0 intro movie believe it or not. There are actually a ton of references to that movie in ShB

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Levels are not an in-universe concept in the sense of "ah yes thou hath hittest the number of experience points necessary to reacheth level 22 well done Warrior of Light" but your character does get stronger throughout an expansion, yes. Working out makes you buff and makes you better at using aether.
If they're not in universe concepts, why did you include that Urianger quote???

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Blockhouse posted:

He's a boss ten levels higher than you. It's not "plot armor" it's literally how the game works. If he wanted to hurt you he could just auto-attack you to death but that wouldn't be very interesting (for him or for the player)

Then do it in a loving cutscene instead of pretending like you have anything resembling agency. It's loving stupid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kyrosiris posted:

Then do it in a loving cutscene instead of pretending like you have anything resembling agency. It's loving stupid.

Because the point is to put you in an unwinnable situation. It's to, for the first time in the game, present a fight where you walk up to a guy, start doing your rotation, and then either miss or do like 10 damage. It's to show your growth over the course of the expansion as you get more and more on his level over time, from a fight where you can't hit him, to one where you can actually do some damage, to a proper regular dungeon boss, and to the final 1v1 against Elidibus-Zenos, where even layering Ascian magic on top of Zenos' skills isn't enough to stop you. It's not "stupid" because you don't like it, it's very clearly serving a narrative purpose. Like, it's a direct, intentional counterpoint to how Heavensward's final boss is basically a power trip more than anything.

After a certain point it's very hard to read people's anger over this as anything other than " I don't want my character to lose!"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Didn't Final Fantasy literally invent scripted unwinnable bossfights or at least had a really early one?

The worst is when they don't have the thoughtfulness to be quick.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 6, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

mycot posted:

Didn't Final Fantasy literally invent scripted final bossfights or at least had a really early one?

The opening battle of Final Fantasy II is unwinnable to show you how outmatched you are against the Empire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I have some major plot speculation. I bet the guy in the frog suit is the First's version of Zenos, like Ardbert is to you.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I get that Red Mage was introduced after Heavensward, but the level 60 quest is drastically different from Astrologian. With AST you're gated by the MSQ (I'm still a ways away, it seems) and get a starter gear coffer in addition to your spell.

Red Mage? gently caress you, not only is there no gear coffer, you get a fight that is ludicrously difficult because it assumes you're already in level 60 gear instead of Ironworks.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The first RDM and SAM quests do give you gear coffers though

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

It sounds like you had an emotional reaction to the gameplay experience -- this was the explicit goal of doing it as a duty, I am sure, instead of just a cutscene introduction. I don't mean to be like 'har har you got mad at a video game,' far from it, but like that's the point. You build heat with Zenos, on a player level.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

In fact, I’m pretty sure the RDM and SAM coffers are significantly better gear for their level than the ast drk and mch equivalents were, which were NQ vendor trash.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Those are level 50 coffers, though, not 60?

It doesn't matter much in the long run since I'm shifting to other jobs to keep the MSQ experience flowing. It just seems odd that one class gets free gear to not be 100% awful at 60 and the other doesn't.

edit - For example, ARR / HW classes get 50 / 60 / 70 coffers. SAM and RDM only get 50 / 70 coffers for some reason.

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 6, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

omg this is perhaps the second time i've gotten it out of like 40 catbooks

happy lalihop day everyone

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

In fact, I’m pretty sure the RDM and SAM coffers are significantly better gear for their level than the ast drk and mch equivalents were, which were NQ vendor trash.

RDM and SAM unlock quest gives you a leftside 110, don't remember if it gives you accessories. GNB and DNC unlock quests give a leftside 240. IIRC, AST, DRK, and MCH give you a weapon and a body piece, then some ilvl90 garbage at 50.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

5.3 is the first time I ever was in endgame when a patch hit but... is it kind of normal to do all the new content, see the new story, be like "drat that was a good patch" and then just be done with it

Like I'll for sure play the Bozja resistance stuff but I am just kinda done with it. I got 490 gear in all slots on my BRD/DNC and with Nier can upgrade like, a piece a week and that's the only progress I'm really making. On paper that should make getting into the Savages now much easier but I just don't have the interest at the moment.

I also really really like the story in this game and I'm not used to waiting so long for so little of it (Even if it was really drat good)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

5.3 is the first time I ever was in endgame when a patch hit but... is it kind of normal to do all the new content, see the new story, be like "drat that was a good patch" and then just be done with it

Yoshida has been on record saying it's kinda designed to allow you to just... do other things if you don't wanna try and fill your time with grind. Subbing only for big content patches/expansions and then letting it lapse is fine, even encouraged.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think someone mentioned that when you let your subscription lapse you get like a message to the effect of "would the Warrior of Light really leave Eorzea to all the dangers it faces"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think someone mentioned that when you let your subscription lapse you get like a message to the effect of "would the Warrior of Light really leave Eorzea to all the dangers it faces"

I have left it in the capable hands of the Scions for the time being :colbert:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

mycot posted:

Didn't Final Fantasy literally invent scripted unwinnable bossfights or at least had a really early one?

Everyone loves ff9, where it makes you lose to Beatrix like 4 times.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Showing off the new dance I learned to all the Scions

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was not expecting to suddenly hear the FF8 overworld music upon starting what I think is the Shadowbringers 8-man raid quest chain.

FF8 was actually the first JRPG I ever played; got the PC version at an Office Max (or some similar store like that) when I was 14 or 15. I remember that there was this separate app thing where you could play this chocobo mini-game that gave you all sorts of ridiculous loot in the actual game.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

chocobo world for FF8 was great, on PSX you needed to import a pocketstation then get hit by like 200 dollars in weird duties when it crossed the border resulting in me getting grounded for my birthday but on the PC you could just run it in the background overnight a few times and end up with a billion drops as it autobattled to victory

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think you're really going to enjoy some of the stuff coming up then :)

One of the major disappointments of FF8 for me was how little a role chocobos played (and moogles not at all except in that pocketstation game?). The moomba though... when are they coming to 14

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

mycot posted:

First Cloud of Darkness fight in 3 was unwinnable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any worthwhile plot content associated with relic weapon stuff? I think I remember hearing that ARR doesn't have much to speak of, but what about the other expansions (I'll obviously be wanting to do the ShB one just because the weapon will actually be functionally useful)?

I'm generally unwilling to do that sort of thing just for glamour (and I don't really like glowy effects or overly "flashy" looking weapons anyways).

edit: I don't understand people who get upset about unwinnable boss fights (or ones where you "win" and then lose in a cutscene), but boy do some people seem to get REALLY upset about it. It seems like the equivalent of complaining about how it doesn't make sense for the characters to just stand there in a turn-based JRPG or something. It's just a different way of telling you what's happening while also giving you some sort of gameplay.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I haven't found any unwinnable fights in any games ever because I believe in myself and enough people believe in me that I have become a shitpost primal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
a while back someone mentioned an ACT plugin that let you see the exact pixel of your hitbox, but i can't find any mention of it elsewhere. can anyone point me in the right direction?