Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
October 27th feels so close, yet so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

Patience for the greatest experience of them all squad.
Ys is great, definitely my favorite ARPG, though it doesn't scratch the Trails itch much.

I'm personally passing the time replaying the Gagharv Trilogy, took a small break for the past week, but I'm starting the 2nd half of the 2nd game now, and I'm appreciating the games infinitely more this time, theyre really solid by themselves even with the uhh hundred typos, but seeing how every little bit of this series and Trails intersect is an absolute blast.

The Trails itch came on so gradually that I barely even noticed. Now its at the point that I'm looking at big releases like Cyberpunk 2077 and thinking "oh that'll be a good distraction until the Azure patch is out".

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Junpei posted:

October 27th feels so close, yet so far.

Yeah, that'll be the date that I, as a PC gamer, can start scrubbing my YouTube recommendation lists again to avoid CS4 footage from popping up there all the time.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Not sure if it was mentioned but NISA already confirmed that there won't be a demo for CS4 on the PS4. The CS3 demo came out around this time last year so I was hoping we get another one, but nope.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

lagidnam posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned but NISA already confirmed that there won't be a demo for CS4 on the PS4. The CS3 demo came out around this time last year so I was hoping we get another one, but nope.

That's probably for the best. I can't imagine a demo making the wait better.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

lagidnam posted:

They don't need to reassure everyone that its not going to be a Ys8 level fuckup this time around.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
They're giving people time to play the Sky/Crossbell series so they're not like "Hay who are all these new characters"

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I’m halfway through chapter 1 of Zero and not really loving it so far. Have only played the Sky trilogy but the characters just seem really underwritten compared to Estelle, Joshua, and all. Basically only Randy has a personality and it’s an awful one so I’m finding it hard to give a poo poo. :(

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i thought zero had significantly better character writing than sky so i dunno what to tell you. i didnt play it with the geofront translation though so i dunno if the characters come across differently in that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I didn’t love any of the characters in Zero either, they are just kind of bland. It doesn’t help that has very few backstories to use so a lot feel very similar.
Tito gets a bit more fun but ironically not when interacting with the main cast

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It cannot be overstated how much of a dull, wet blanket Joshua is and how much weight Estelle has to shoulder to make Sky's character dynamics function at all. Comparatively every character in the SSS is not only well fleshed out but also able to exist by themselves as just like, people rather than satellite characters like most of the Sky cast. Like the weakest link in the entire group is probably Elie but she's still a completely non-abrasive addition and still gels well with the rest, and at the other end Tio is probably the best playable character in all of Trails (until you get to a certain someone in Azure).

E: Also for what it's worth as of chapter 1 I didn't think that much of Randy, but I really grew to really like him as the games went on to where like he'd have most of the fun dialogue if you bring him along.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 4, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i wasn't sure about Tio at the start of zero but by the end she was easily my favorite trails character and still is

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I mean it could be that they are characters that slowly and subtly develop over time. It’s hard for me to go back and consider how the Sky cast seemed before I read tens of hours of dialog by them, but I remember the Estelle/Joshua goofy/serious dynamic showing up right away and driving a lot of good dialog. Whereas at least so far you could change the speaker for most non-Randy lines and I’d be hard-pressed to notice. And Randy hitting on women being the only comic relief is kind of killing me. At least with Olivier there was some humor from the other characters reacting with derision. In Zero they just pop a sweat drop and move on.

I’ll still finish it because I’m invested in the world and series plot but hoping CS characters are a little stronger.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nate RFB posted:

It cannot be overstated how much of a dull, wet blanket Joshua is and how much weight Estelle has to shoulder to make Sky's character dynamics function at all. Comparatively every character in the SSS is not only well fleshed out but also able to exist by themselves as just like, people rather than satellite characters like most of the Sky cast. Like the weakest link in the entire group is probably Elie but she's still a completely non-abrasive addition and still gels well with the rest, and at the other end Tio is probably the best playable character in all of Trails (until you get to a certain someone in Azure).

E: Also for what it's worth as of chapter 1 I didn't think that much of Randy, but I really grew to really like him as the games went on to where like he'd have most of the fun dialogue if you bring him along.

What are you on about Loyd and Ellie might be the most bland heroine hero duo in any game.

Zero is caries by Randy and Tio but honestly after playong Cold Steel his backstory is rather stale (I know he came first) and he kind is just straight version of the prince

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That being said I would have said Rean is blander but 3 gives him an interesting hook even if the game refuses to do anything with it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Lloyd is great because he's virtually the only protag in the franchise who is competent at figuring stuff, is proactive rather than reactive like the other MCs, but still gets dunked on consistently enough to be an endearing dork about it all. To say nothing of his relationship with KeA being extremely adorable. Like sure he's not the strongest individual component of the SSS but as the hero protag role of the unit he works very well.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Issue with Zero is that you have those 4 and only those 4 for such huge swathes of the game that your enjoyment of them makes or breaks the game. I like them more than CS3's Power rangers overall, but only barely. I personally believe that a characters quality comes from not who they are, but how they bounce off others. Sky and CS have your team bouncing off so many side characters constantly and the party switching as you progress the plot also adds to it so you see a ton of sides of every character involved. Meanwhile Zero kind of actively keeps you away from other characters most of the time and instead focuses on those 4.... kind of saying the same things over and over by themselves. It really didn't endear them to me that well till Kea showed up and added a really nice change of everyone being a parent.

Zero would be infinitely better if Kea was the focus of Chapter 1 or the prologue rather than chapter 3.

I really like Lloyd and Randy, Great broship and Tio definitely had the best glowup. Meanwhile, I just don't like Elie's design much despite not having any issue with her personality.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 4, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Introducing KeA really early on would be a terrible idea. You need to establish the characters and let them come together as a team at least a little bit before doing something like that. The soonest you could introduce KeA without utterly loving up the pacing of the story is probably somewhere in the middle of chapter 2.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Only the S-Break menu counts for the s-break achievement, even though the Crafts menu lets you use your s-break from there. I don't usually do it that way :\

edit: for CS1

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think it's only really a "break" if you use it out of turn is the idea? which you can't do from the crafts menu

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"S-Break" is explicitly the out-of-turn pop-up. The super moves themselves are called S-Crafts. :spergin:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, the actual skill is an S-Craft, not an S-Break. It only becomes a Break when you trigger it with the shortcut.

e: Too late!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's not confusing at all!

Anyways I'll have to get the cheevo on the 2nd run I guess because im not grinding out 50~ s-breaks in chapter 6 and Final Chapter

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ssh: There are ways to easily do that

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

One of the Umat grinding strategies is to go to a big mob group that can drop em in the school house, and use the master quartz that gives field cp regen, to just sbreak them over and over for example. Very important to get kitty ears.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

One of the Umat grinding strategies is to go to a big mob group that can drop em in the school house, and use the master quartz that gives field cp regen, to just sbreak them over and over for example. Very important to get kitty ears.

Yeah those things are loving 20 umats, absolutely disgusting

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://youtu.be/ddEgNU4lzR4

New Ys 9 English trailer.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I wonder what the highest difficulty I can beat Cold Steel 3 on is if I limit myself to only using food items once I get an attack food recipe.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Or you could love yourself more.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm glad to hear that Tio gets better, because I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2 of Zero and she has just not clicked with me as a character at all. Lloyd is clever and figures things out, Randy is Olivier but not as endearing, Elie is just kind of inoffensive, but Tio leaves me cold so far.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Beat Ys8 the other day. It was surprisingly good and longer than I expected with all the side stuff to do. Wasn't a huge fan of the hunts/raids they felt a bit tedious to do when you're trying to explore dungeons and the island. It makes the upcoming YS9 western release something to look forward to.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

infraboy posted:

Beat Ys8 the other day. It was surprisingly good and longer than I expected with all the side stuff to do. Wasn't a huge fan of the hunts/raids they felt a bit tedious to do when you're trying to explore dungeons and the island. It makes the upcoming YS9 western release something to look forward to.

Based on this post, it sounds like you're new to the Ys franchise. They're all really good, you should check out some of the other ones. Memories of Celceta is another party system game, but if you want to try a different style of Ys game, look into Oath in Felghana or Ys Origin. There are also Ys 7 (another party system game, the first one they tried) and the Ark of Napishtim (like Oath and Origin, but also unrefined). And just for curiosity's sake, you could also dive into Ys 1 and 2 and try out the old bump system games; they're definitely old, but they're fun in their own way.

Or you could wait for Ys 9, that's probably also going to be great.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 7, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I played Celceta back on my Vita which was very enjoyable, almost tempted to buy the PS4 version that is out, most of the other games are available on steam so i'm waiting on the next sale.

Ys 8 was mostly to kill some time until the translation spreadsheet for Hajimari is ready, I've been learning some Japanese on Duolingo and it has helped me understand some of the game on its own but the Kanji is pretty tough, Kitsune is about halfway done with the translation and is taking the week off so he should be done pretty quickly.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Celceta is a real good game. Rivals Felghana for my favorite Ys game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

eh, i've been playing it and it kinda just feels like 8 but not as good

obviously this comparison is unfair but i played 8 first so this is what i got

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

eh, i've been playing it and it kinda just feels like 8 but not as good

obviously this comparison is unfair but i played 8 first so this is what i got

I agree that Ys 8 is a better game than Celceta, but I don't really want to be too dismissive about it, because Celceta is still great. Plus, Celceta kinda has Zelda style dungeon items and Ys 8 doesn't (or at least it feels kinda vestigial in 8), which is cool and I hope they bring that back in Ys 9.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I feel like Celceta's fixed camera actually does wonders for playability and I'm kinda disappointed they switched to a free one in Ys 8 -- in particular, I never quite found a comfortable button layout in 8 with the additions of camera + lockon + jump. It does mean they can do more dynamic environments though, which is nice.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Celceta felt like Seven, but with more tacked on gimmicks. I don't think I ever finished it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I got to the final boss of Celceta with 99.?% of the map despite humping every wall in the game, and ran through the entire forest to do it again, and still didnt get that, and thus never finished it. But I still very much love the game, and I plan to try again on PS4 someday. Also, I kind of prefer it to 8. 8s good, but the game doesnt flow very well between the exploration, raids, home base, plot, and side stuff within it's setting and I'm worried about 9 having the same issue.

Played 7 when it was new, havnt played since and I barely remember anything, really need to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Celceta's a solid game but playing it right after 8 made it feel a little lacking. Its got a strange pace to it where the first 2 dungeons are big and sort of zelda-styled but for the rest of the game the dungeons are much smaller or at least more straightforward and they just don't feel as involved as the early game. Same with the overworld, the first half of the forest feels a lot bigger and there's a lot of like hidden caves and things you can stumble across but once you cross the river the layout just feels a lot simpler outside of the cursed forest.

I guess YS 8 kinda had a similar problem with most of the dungeons being frontloaded and the second half of the island not being as sprawling but I felt it handled it better than Celceta.

E: Also a bunch of the boss fights in Celceta have extended moments where they're totally invincible where you just have to wait them out and it's super lame!!