Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Tories min-maxing the economy to get an absurdly high GDP, and finding all sorts of batshit insane exploits that society was never designed for like "whip the poor" and "stand like the colossus of rhodes"
Historically quite a few societies were designed like that, but they generally produced something as a side product.

Tories have managed to stack it so that it's entirely based on selling overpriced houses and sandwiches to each other, and now half of that has fallen through.

e: 25CE - The Han Dynasty is restored in China as Liu Xiu proclaims himself Emperor Guangwu of Han, and whips a few poors.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The sandwiches aren't sold to each other, it's yet more wealth extraction from the worker, the only places that can afford premises where a bunch of large offices are are overpriced poor quality chains like loving Pret

Want money? Go to work. Wanna go to work? loving pay

It baffles me that the political media class think that "won't somebody think of the price gougers" is the way to get people back into the office/prop up the real estate market, the food's much better at home frankly

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How else will they get their six chips.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've been meaning to get a Co-op membership for years. There's one right on the corner and if I'm going to pay more for my laziness, I should at least sign up to get points or whatever it is they offer.

That, and the Spectator apparently got 550 more subscriptions out of the spat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lady Demelza posted:

I've been meaning to get a Co-op membership for years. There's one right on the corner and if I'm going to pay more for my laziness, I should at least sign up to get points or whatever it is they offer.

The points are worth a few quid a year if you shop there regularly, and free, so it's worth doing, and you get a say in how the org runs too which is nice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

The points are worth a few quid a year if you shop there regularly, and free, so it's worth doing, and you get a say in how the org runs too which is nice.

Co-op tinned food is pretty horrifying though. Their canned spaghetti rings were amongst the worst things I ever ate in the history of the world. (In fact I ended chucking the bowl away after a couple of spoonfuls.) Someone suggested donating the other cans to the food bank but I think they deserve something better.
I am slowly circulating my apocalypse stash and will not be replacing tinned veg etc with their products.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm frantically eating way too many beans from mine because they all went out of date and whilst they're still broadly fine, I'd prefer to keep stuff that's in date.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lady Demelza posted:

Imagine if every penny the gammonfolk spent out of pure spite went to a good cause instead

They could end hunger

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

in the UK there's an absolute ton more exposure to europe - amsterdam is literally cheaper to get to than london.

*looks out the window* Not for all of us it isn't! ;p

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I have personal beef with co-op because both of the convenient shops between work & home are co-ops, sometimes you're working late & just want to grab something easy to bung in the oven, but both of them stock the exact same stuff day in day out & none of it is much good for that

Quite like the vegan pizza but you get bored of it pretty quick

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Borrovan posted:

Imagine if every penny the gammonfolk spent out of pure spite went to a good cause instead

They could end hunger

Given that gammonfolk includes several 10+billionaires, they absolutely could end hunger.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lady Demelza posted:

I wonder what Andrew Neil is going to do with all those extra copies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

They could end hunger
Why should I have to pay for some workshy Somalian to have food, I'd rather Andrew Neil has additional dinners out at his second home in France. :hampants:

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Urgh I just saw the trailer for Amazon's remake of C4's Utopia, and it looks terrible - no beautiful colour palette, no wonderful sound track, just bland looking - and you really have to question the ethics of releasing a show in 2020 where the virus is just a cover for a dark conspiracy to give everyone a vaccine intended to sterilise most of the human race. If you haven't watched the original, and are somehow still in the mood for something dark while living in the hell year, go watch the original - as a reminder British TV is occasionally able to produce something wonderful and weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What can be done to stop studio flats being advertised as one bedrooms? :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ending private property.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Ending private property.

Looks at China: maybe not just private property (as in real estate) ownership though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just witnessed someone be delivered a pint of Guinness and blackcurrant at the pub I was just at and what the gently caress

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose posted:

Just witnessed someone be delivered a pint of Guinness and blackcurrant at the pub I was just at and what the gently caress
It's a thing

An Irish bartender told me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jose posted:

Apparently it’s an Irish hangover preventative?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

Apparently there are two different schemes.

One, which the petrol station round the corner runs, seems like it gives you useless vouchers every once in a while like Tesco and doesn't really seem to bear any relation to how much you spend.

The other one, which the shop in town runs, is more like the nectar points thing where you get money back on your purchases at a really good rate.

So see which one your local co-op does.

Also co-op chicken always smells funny. The wife looked it up and apparently it's because it's treated with sulphur dioxide to stop it going off. I doubt it because it's also yellowing and rubbery and I'm pretty sure it's because the local dickheads pick it up, wander off round the shop with it, leave it on a random shelf and then when the staff find it an hour later they just chuck it back in the fridge.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jose posted:

I have witnessed in person someone ordering a Guinness shandy

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Desiderata posted:

Urgh I just saw the trailer for Amazon's remake of C4's Utopia, and it looks terrible - no beautiful colour palette, no wonderful sound track, just bland looking - and you really have to question the ethics of releasing a show in 2020 where the virus is just a cover for a dark conspiracy to give everyone a vaccine intended to sterilise most of the human race. If you haven't watched the original, and are somehow still in the mood for something dark while living in the hell year, go watch the original - as a reminder British TV is occasionally able to produce something wonderful and weird.

Wait reamking Utopia?

The original was amazing, why the heck would it need remaking.

But yeah, it's worth a watch, even though it is deeply, deeply weird and disturbing, and doubly so now.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Jose posted:

Guinness and black is the first thing I drink in the clubhouse after a rugby game, it's nectar.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait reamking Utopia?

But yeah, it's worth a watch, even though it is deeply, deeply weird and disturbing, and doubly so now.

American networks loving love remaking British shows for some reason

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like my local Co-op because it's the only shop where the I've seen the staff get into a fight with a "customer". The man had been banned, the member of staff told him to get out, and I was accidentally hit on the foot with a packet of McVitie's Caramel Digestives during the small biscuit fight which erupted.

Quality entertainment like that is worth £1 membership.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Utopia had easily the best soundtrack of any TV show I've watched

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Someone ordered that when I was working in a pub. It’s a joke drink because it just foams up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm at a new level of decadence here - two cups of tea, one for drinking, one for dunking shortbread in. No king or emperor ever approached this level of luxury.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A Guinness and black is a pretty popular drink. At least, I always assumed it was.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait reamking Utopia?

NBC/Universal remade it for their new streaming network, Amazon bought the UK rights to most of their new content.

Hopefully it means Amazon are getting the rights to the new Macgruber series though.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was talking to someone today and started talking about the song 'Hitler's only got one ball' - she was German and hadn't heard it, but I assumed most people in Britain were familiar with it. Is this still the case or has it faded from schools by now?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently there are two different schemes.

One, which the petrol station round the corner runs, seems like it gives you useless vouchers every once in a while like Tesco and doesn't really seem to bear any relation to how much you spend.

The other one, which the shop in town runs, is more like the nectar points thing where you get money back on your purchases at a really good rate.

You get extra points for buying co-op own brand stuff, the wine is a good way to rack the points up. Sometimes vouchers for stuff too.

The co-op card I have is the first time I've bothered with any of this stuff. I save all the points up til Christmas then get all that for free. Shame it's all a bit expensive to anywhere else, but most places I've rented have had a co-op within walking distance rather than needing a car for a big shop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I asked the Irish girlfriend “have you ever heard of Guinness and blackcurrant” and she looked at me as if I’d asked had she ever heard of chips, so I guess it’s pretty popular over

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Christ, if these are the cases now then what the hell are they going to look like in a month when they've had time to percolate around the schools?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

eye-BUPP-ro-fen

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

How did that work out for them? It'd just turn into riot foam, especially if the lemonades from a mixers gun.

I had some woman ask me for a mixture of Guinness & coke in a half glass and I just told her to order something else. Her answer was 'but I drink it all the time in my local!' I somehow doubt that. 'JD & coke?' There you go!

Other stupid drink orders from throughout the years:
'Double Jagermeisters!'
'Red wine & coke', although I've met a few people who'll drink that now, back in the 90s I thought they were taking the piss.
'A shot of Angostura bitters'. No mixer, no chaser. Nope.
'What soft drinks do you have?' (a list of standard soft drinks is reeled off) '2 pints Raspberry juice!'
'A baby Guinness' (gets served a half Guinness) 'What is this?' What did you actually want? 'It's a cocktail shot you prick!' Get out.

Don't start me on people in Yorkshire asking for a pint of 'Mickey Mouse'. This could be anything from a bitter/mild mix, a mix of 2 different bitters, half bitter/half Guinness to half lager/half bitter and it was stupid.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Jose posted:

Utopia had easily the best soundtrack of any TV show I've watched

Cristobal Tapia De Veer, he does a lot of C4 soundtracks I think. Did some excellent work for black mirrors Black Museum episode too.

My favourite fact about the utopia soundtrack is that the percussion is done with real bones and it's just so fitting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I somehow missed this at the time

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/717460847585574913?s=19

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tbh if I tended bar I would give the punters whatever extremely stupid and nasty poo poo they asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

justcola posted:

I was talking to someone today and started talking about the song 'Hitler's only got one ball' - she was German and hadn't heard it, but I assumed most people in Britain were familiar with it. Is this still the case or has it faded from schools by now?

It definitely hadn't faded into the 1980s, but then there were still plenty of kids who had learned it from their grandfathers. And I read a book written some time in the 90s about myths and stories of the Second World War which devoted the better part of two pages to it, including an interview with Hitler's personal driver. I couldn't tell you about any more recent usage.