Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I only picked this up in the last month or so, so I'm not familiar with the historical releases up to this point, but I enjoyed the Artemis path narrative being pretty meta.

~This is all a simulation and you are all made up by meeee!~

Like, duh, it's a video game, guy. The "Hello, world," is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Huh. Heads up if you're doing a "hunt monstrosities" mission from the Nexus, don't wipe out all of the whispering eggs at the first building it sends you to. In my lust for larval cores, I wiped all of them out, and then the second location sent me back there for the third stage, and I couldn't spawn any new horrors. Had to blow through five or six planetary charts to find a fresh abandoned building before I could complete the mission.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shawon Dunston posted:

Huh. Heads up if you're doing a "hunt monstrosities" mission from the Nexus, don't wipe out all of the whispering eggs at the first building it sends you to. In my lust for larval cores, I wiped all of them out, and then the second location sent me back there for the third stage, and I couldn't spawn any new horrors. Had to blow through five or six planetary charts to find a fresh abandoned building before I could complete the mission.

You can put a scanner in your exocraft to find abandoned buildings, depots, ruins, and monoliths; also a fifth thing I'm forgetting.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Glazius posted:

You can put a scanner in your exocraft to find abandoned buildings, depots, ruins, and monoliths; also a fifth thing I'm forgetting.

It's the most important thing you get from that scanner early on - the structure that gives you exosuit inventory upgrades - but I also forget what they call it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

drop-pod

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I only picked this up in the last month or so, so I'm not familiar with the historical releases up to this point, but I enjoyed the Artemis path narrative being pretty meta.

~This is all a simulation and you are all made up by meeee!~

Like, duh, it's a video game, guy. The "Hello, world," is a nice touch.

There's actually a backstory to that. Found in the ARG and the secret gate terminals.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

So I just finished the artemis path ending and reset the simulation and it appears to have deleted my favourite spaceship that I was using at the time? It's not in my summon list and it's not on my freighter, so gently caress me I guess?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Fwoderwick posted:

So I just finished the artemis path ending and reset the simulation and it appears to have deleted my favourite spaceship that I was using at the time? It's not in my summon list and it's not on my freighter, so gently caress me I guess?

Look around - you should find it very close by similar to the beginning of the game. You have to find and repair some stuff after that mission to get it back I think.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Rob Rockley posted:

Look around - you should find it very close by similar to the beginning of the game. You have to find and repair some stuff after that mission to get it back I think.

Yeah there was one with me which I've repaired and now I look at it I think it had the same upgrades (will have to check it's class/type). However it looks nothing like what it should do and is vastly more boring.

Oh well, I have been starting to get in to glyph teleporting, so maybe I'll go shopping for something new!

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Fwoderwick posted:

it looks nothing like what it should do and is vastly more boring.

Oh well, I have been starting to get in to glyph teleporting, so maybe I'll go shopping for something new!

Oof. Rough. Well fortunately I think that only happens once so now you can go and find the perfect looking ship and upgrade it safe in the knowledge you won’t have to deal with that again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rob Rockley posted:

Oof. Rough. Well fortunately I think that only happens once so now you can go and find the perfect looking ship and upgrade it safe in the knowledge you won’t have to deal with that again.

Remember kids: Always change your ship to the one you hate most before jumping universes! (Also, hope really badly that no strange bug eats your nice ships anyway.)

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

I see this sometimes and I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean. It appears right after I warp, so I've been thinking it's somehow Tritium that I've broken off an asteroid but warped off before it was collected? Can't really prove that to be the case though.

Anyway, finally got all the glyphs via the storyline. I've been kinda doing Artemis and Atlas simultaneously, cruising around and taking mostly cursory looks at planets. I think I finally found a nice one to build on while on my way to a Void Egg galaxy...

Also, I feel foolish for not looking for hyperspace upgrades for my starship. Not sure why it never occurred to me to look, but after watching a video on Core to Core jumps, the single jump feels even slower.

Libluini posted:

Welp, caught a stomach flue. Since I'm not allowed to work today, I decided to torture you with some more :siren: screenshots! :siren:

Merry Nadhor's Dumb Adventures in Beyond the Sources of Matter

Part III

I love these. (Feel better!)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zet posted:

I love these. (Feel better!)

Thanks! It's already better, but now I'm back home on paid furlough again for the rest of the week. Also double thanks, I didn't want to imagine anyone was reacting with more than annoyed tolerance to my screenshot-waves. Positive feedback is always welcome! :v:

Merry Nadhor's Dumb Adventures in Beyond the Sources of Matter

Part IV -Final-

Welp, too bad but I'm already running down the bottom of the barrel. I guess I need to play more to make more screenshots.

After arriving in galaxy 7, I suddenly remembered I had never used the Nautilon. Also oops, there's this whole other small story line attached to it. And this is why this screenshot is underwater.

Ironically, I decided this planet was nice enough for my first Budullangr-base, so I didn't have a Nautilon yet. (Here Merry is accidentally bumping into alien jellyfish so hard she accidentally kills it. Fancy space tech: 1; A space alien: 0)

The foundation of Red Ocean Tower, meant to be my main base and crafting station in galaxy 7. That water part will later extend to the ocean floor and that's where my Nautilon will be. The cross in the middle houses the base computer. Completely encased in metal plates from all sides! gently caress you game, this is one base where the base computer will be safely inside! :smugbird:

The actual tower part (and the Hall of Crafting) are still not build yet in that picture.

Time progresses. Now, thanks to learning how bad the PS4 handles large bases, I added this legendary Hall of Crafting by using tons of cube elements, and the game thanked me by not choking and not turning into a slideshow. Apparently the difference between the game having to handle 50-75% less individual elements is quite huge!

As an added improvement, I realized storage units easily snap to the sides of cube blocks, so I could add all my storage in easy reach of my refiners. (Two large, and two mediums. Later I added a third one in an extra room and connected both with a teleporter to circumvent the annoying ONLY TWO LARGE REFINERS ALLOWED limitation.)

And then I build the underwater-part of Red Ocean Tower and let Merry explore the ocean of this planet with her brand-new Nautilon.

Hah, I get it! Nautilon. (Oceanographer joke. :smug: )

There were those weird things on the sea floor sometimes. As far as I can tell, they had nothing to do with the Nautilon-story line, they were just there.

The story-line eventually leads you to a crashed freighter, but underwater! Nice.

At some point I remembered that adding superfluous hyperdrives is supposed to give you a bonus, and looking at my maxed-out inventories everywhere, I realized I could sacrifice some slots, no big deal. I gained a full 20 ly range by re-arranging my slots like this. 20 full light years!!! But joking aside, squeezing some additional range out like this came as an unexpected surprise!

And Red Ocean Tower is still growing: Here the Hall of Crafting is finished, the refinery-room with the very important third large refiner has been added, ships can now land without clipping through the windows and actual tower-part of the tower is slowly rising.

Right now there are two short-range teleporters in the Hall of Crafting: One connecting the main refiners with the add-on, the second warps you all the way down to a room just above the ocean floor. In case you want to take a ride with the Nautilon.

Eventually there will be a third teleporter-pair connecting the top of the tower with the Hall of Crafting, so you only have to go up or down my Endless Ladders of Despair if you really want to! (Or overlook the teleporters, I guess.)

Another improvement: No cheaping out on the underwater-part of the base. This time, there are rooms all the way down, no dumb tubes suddenly breaking up the tower. Also, I imagine every visitor coming out of the main teleporter, going the wrong way, and climbing down all those ladders will feel very stupid when they see the short-range teleporter down there. :v:

Merry met this furry person while exploring around. She forgot to make any notes, but apparently what they had to say was very important!

Then I committed the grave error of doing a collection run across all my bases and trying to craft away my by now huge build-up of materials. After several hours I was half a billion credits richer, but realized I had messed up the math at some point. I had still tons of poo poo left, but only half of what I needed to craft my trading goods. For some reason, I'm always loving up and then running out of Fungal Mould and Star Bulbs.

And so I made this monstrosity: Starbulb Moulder (I later changed the name, need to look the new one up again, poo poo.)

All those rooms and domes are connected so you can get through all of them in a single run and end up at the main teleporter again. Thanks to an electromagnetic source nearby I constructed an entire elaborate hall to house the electromagnetic generators fueling this nightmare realm. They're of course, all filled with Star Bulb Plants and Fungi. Hopefully next time I'm crafting, the numbers will add up now!

Building this was a nightmare, too: This planet looks really lush, but only for about two minutes, then it's endless rainstorms. Boiling rainstorms. I spend a lot of time hiding in the teleporter room, waiting for the weather to clear up. Or stuck at the bottom of one of my excavation tunnels. Excavation tunnels, you ask? Why yes, I absolutely hosed up again, this time I noticed too late the huge loving hill right next to my starting point. Most of my planned layout went straight through that poo poo, and I needed to do tons of landscaping to fit all of it.

Very late into this project, I added a secret tunnel leading to a couple of domes with gravitino plants. My thoughts were basically: It's a nice money-boost for starting players who stumble across this base, while most of the plants are worthless if you don't have the right blueprints. This message thing tells people to go into the secret pathway so they don't miss it!

And that's it. All my screenshots are used up and worse: I've basically done everything I set out to do in NMS. There are some construction projects I want to finish and maybe go looking for other nice ships, but that's basically it.

On the other hand, Budullangr is supposed to be full of weird and exotic biomes, so who knows? Hopefully in a couple of months I'll have another mountain of screenshots ready.

The End, no Moral

Obligatory link to part 3.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zet posted:

I see this sometimes and I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean. It appears right after I warp, so I've been thinking it's somehow Tritium that I've broken off an asteroid but warped off before it was collected? Can't really prove that to be the case though.

Sometimes teleporting or warping just gives you stuff. I don't know why, I think it's a weird bug. Once it gave me two factory override units and popped up the learn a blueprint interface. I think I get navigation data more than anything else.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The time that you got the factory override units and that interface, did you visit one earlier that session? I've had it pop up interfaces like that after I've done similar things in the same session. For instance, I was doing the thing where you buy ships and scrap them in a session once and then later I was teleporting between my bases and it kept coming up with the interface to buy a ship. I think I even tried accepting it once to see what would happen and I crashed.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nullsmack posted:

The time that you got the factory override units and that interface, did you visit one earlier that session? I've had it pop up interfaces like that after I've done similar things in the same session. For instance, I was doing the thing where you buy ships and scrap them in a session once and then later I was teleporting between my bases and it kept coming up with the interface to buy a ship. I think I even tried accepting it once to see what would happen and I crashed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did, this would have been during the time I was grinding out blueprints for the fusion ignitor production chain.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Oh sweet, that's much better than my assumption! New thing... I stumbled on the NMSCoordinates app which seems useful. Even the less 'cheaty' ability to export out coordinates you've been to looks great. Is there something similar for inventories/storages? I'm a terrible hoarder and it's getting hella messy

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sometimes teleporting or warping just gives you stuff. I don't know why, I think it's a weird bug. Once it gave me two factory override units and popped up the learn a blueprint interface. I think I get navigation data more than anything else.

One time it recycled my squid ship that I dumped nearly 1.5b into to upgrade all the inventory slots. Thankfully it didn't actually recycle it, just gave me all the parts for it as if it had. I made like 200m off that.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I haven't played this in a long time and reading this thread, there's a TON of new stuff.

Is there some kind of up-to-date progression guide that will take someone like me through the different activities and a decent order start/do them in?

I'm always worried about burnout in games like these, so while I don't like being super efficient, aimless wandering without pretty steady progression will burn me out pretty fast.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 3, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I see all these tall tower bases, does that mean they fixed ladders yet?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm always worried about burnout in games like these, so while I don't like being super efficient, aimless wandering without pretty steady progression will burn me out pretty fast.

There are quest chains for unlocking portals, unlocking a new galaxy, getting some meh items, getting everything from vendors, and an endless quest drive for cosmetics. That being said, aside from the cosmetics, you got maybe 20-ish hours because they wanted to make everything immediately accessible. Beyond that it's more or less a question of resources and finding things. You'll need nanites to upgrade your ship, which leads you to ship flipping, which leads you to money farming, etc. Most of it is largely meaningless plot-wise so if you want to blaze through that and be done you're good.

The_Doctor posted:

I see all these tall tower bases, does that mean they fixed ladders yet?

Build camera solves all problems. There's also 200u short range teleporters disconnected from the power grid, so if you want a spread-out base you can use those.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There was a problem with ladders? poo poo, I guess when that happened I was taking one of my multi-month hiatuses from the game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you build a tower with ladders between all the floors, it’s really hard to access the floors inbetween top and bottom. Letting go of the ladder is something the game does not want to do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

If you build a tower with ladders between all the floors, it’s really hard to access the floors inbetween top and bottom. Letting go of the ladder is something the game does not want to do.

Oh, that. After I learned to let go by using my jetpack, it became so deeply ingrained in my muscle memory I forget there even was a problem in the first place.

Still, I'm merciful, so Red Ocean Tower has all non-water ladders removed by a nice walk through a curved glass corridor. :v:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Mailer posted:

Build camera solves all problems. There's also 200u short range teleporters disconnected from the power grid, so if you want a spread-out base you can use those.

Enhance

Mailer posted:

Build camera solves all problems.

Enhance

Mailer posted:

Build camera

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Now for the reason I came here. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions of what to do with switches, prox sensors, etc that isn't something ridiculous like a calculator or working clock? (no idea if those are actually possible)

I finally learnt out how to make a door open with prox sensors and have zero imagination of what else I could do with that stuff.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Fwoderwick posted:

Now for the reason I came here. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions of what to do with switches, prox sensors, etc that isn't something ridiculous like a calculator or working clock? (no idea if those are actually possible)

I finally learnt out how to make a door open with prox sensors and have zero imagination of what else I could do with that stuff.

I use Prox sensors on Base Teleporters so they don't draw power when I don't want to use them. (You can port in to a powered off teleporter so it doesn't stop you getting there) You just walk up to it and it comes on, it looks nice too.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

My first multiplayer thing at the Nexus was discovering there's no matchmaking and waiting forever to find one guy for the weekly mission. Ran around aimlessly than got attacked by some random rear end in a top hat who I think had a base around that location and started shooting us and attacking us with his ship, and I just quit the game. Really bad first impression. I managed to get a different mission with 2 other guys and finished it but I'm kinda soured on the whole thing right now.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I did the weekend mission yesterday and there were communication pods all over complaining about an rear end in a top hat murdering people!
It’s not usually like that and I’m sorry you had a bad time. I usually manage the missions on my own but if you want a goon team let me know and we can do it together, they are quicker with more people.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Had a similar problem last weekend, someone was camping the point of interest in a Nomad and shooting down ships trying to leave /players coming out of the building. First time I'd seen that happen, wasn't great.

Gave up after a couple tries getting past and turned off multiplayer in options; ran the mission solo in peace and quiet.

e. nearly forgot that after all that NMS crashed to the home screen as I landed in the Nexus to turn it in, and I had to run the mission yet again...

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 6, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Roman posted:

My first multiplayer thing at the Nexus was discovering there's no matchmaking and waiting forever to find one guy for the weekly mission. Ran around aimlessly than got attacked by some random rear end in a top hat who I think had a base around that location and started shooting us and attacking us with his ship, and I just quit the game. Really bad first impression. I managed to get a different mission with 2 other guys and finished it but I'm kinda soured on the whole thing right now.

You can run the weekly missions solo pretty easily (especially the "fix the anomalous world" ones or whatever they are called -- they are basically just glorified collection quests). If someone is being a jerk, pop out to the menu and turn off multiplayer, and reload last save. I haven't seen it happen that often but it seems to occur more lately for some reason.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wait, you can attack other people??

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

AirRaid posted:

I use Prox sensors on Base Teleporters so they don't draw power when I don't want to use them. (You can port in to a powered off teleporter so it doesn't stop you getting there) You just walk up to it and it comes on, it looks nice too.

That's a good idea, I will shamelessly steal it thank you.

I get the impression there just aren't enough moving parts to do much of anything really. That semi-recent update about doing music and light shows is cool and all but it's not the kind of thing that's going to stop bases feeling like lifeless models. At the very least we could really do with moving platforms but I suspect the underlying architecture of this game couldn't handle it. I mean you can't even see someone else's base NPC's.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
There's also an option to turn off player damage without disabling multiplayer entirely.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Shame people are ruining multiplayer in such a chill game. Completely expected, since the missions give them a constant audience, but weak.

Fwoderwick posted:

I get the impression there just aren't enough moving parts to do much of anything really. That semi-recent update about doing music and light shows is cool and all but it's not the kind of thing that's going to stop bases feeling like lifeless models.

The base building aspect being tacked on after release, and in two different forms, kind of ruins wacky base funtime. The process of farming for mats gave me a whiff of Terraria and that kept me going for a bit, but in the end that kind of automation is limited. You can have a switch turn something on/off, which is nifty, but there's only so much you can plug that into.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I don't suppose that any of the prox switches or plates work with planetary fauna? Maybe you could do some sort of automatic herding / feeding.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
What do you have to collect to turn in for this week's Nexus mission?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

There's also an option to turn off player damage without disabling multiplayer entirely.

Oh I didn’t know that, that’s cool. And to counterbalance the “people are jerks” experience, I should say that there have been a few times where someone dumped the mission collectibles into my inventory when I got there just to be nice.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Nullsmack posted:

What do you have to collect to turn in for this week's Nexus mission?

16 Cable Pods iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I would say that trolling players are rare, at least in my experience. The only interactions I had with other players when I saw them was an occasional wave or emote-off. As others have said you can disable player damage and turn off multiplayer completely. I turn off multiplayer for missions now so I don't have to fight other random people for the items they want us to collect, also I had a couple bad experiences with trying to land on the anomaly in multiplayer where I was just shot out into space and had to reload and do the mission all over again.

Unrelated complaint / paranoid delusion: I feel like they tweak your scanners to make items not show up from long range to force you to have to really look. Also it seems like some missions go out of their way to send you to planets that don't actually have what they are looking for. Sometimes looking off world got me the items faster. I now just carry a stack of the items they routinely ask for in the cargo hold of my ship.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 6, 2020