Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PolishPandaBear posted:

Wow, that's bike actually looks really good with the aerobars.

I feel like clip-ons almost always looks like poo poo.

They take away from the visual bulk of the stem and spacers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Was tracking an auction for a NOS Shimano FC-5503 crankset to replace mine. $161 ending bid. No thanks, I’d rather just buy a new group set and update. Sheesh.

There's a cult following on those, but $161 is too much even then, unless it's black.

Again though, why are you buying a crank? The rings are replaceable and cheap.
Like a set of 110/74 chainrings should cost like $50 if you go cheap.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 5, 2020

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nm posted:

There's a cult following on those, but $161 is too much even then, unless it's black.

Again though, why are you buying a crank? The rings are replaceable and cheap.
Like a set of 110/74 chainrings should cost like $50 if you go cheap.

It had been $28 when I was watching up until 30 minutes before it ended.

What’s a good place for the chain rings? Sources I’ve tried so far end up being over $100 for the three.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Andy Dufresne posted:

This might be a weird thread to ask in, but it's tangentially cycling related.

My Favero pedals arrived today from Italy. I paid in euros and no taxes were collected. The value of the pedals was clear on the packaging but apparently they didn't get caught up at customs. Was I supposed to pay an import duty?

Below $800 no import duty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It had been $28 when I was watching up until 30 minutes before it ended.

What’s a good place for the chain rings? Sources I’ve tried so far end up being over $100 for the three.

An LBS should be able to get some cheap rings from QBP for not much money.

I'm wrong on the size, they're 130/74, not 110. That put my estimate off a bit, but like $70. You can probably find cheaper. I tried to do the outer rings silver as I assume you have a silver crank.
https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-130mm-5-bolt-alloy-blade-chainrings-52t-8-9sp-silver
https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-130mm-5-bolt-alloy-blade-chainrings-42t-8-9sp-silver
https://www.modernbike.com/shimano-sora-3503-30t-74mm-9-speed-chainring-black

You can also play with your gearing a lot and do something different.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Below $800 no import duty.

And even when you do order >$800 in goods, the chances of getting dinged with import duties are surprisingly low.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Andy Dufresne posted:

This might be a weird thread to ask in, but it's tangentially cycling related.

My Favero pedals arrived today from Italy. I paid in euros and no taxes were collected. The value of the pedals was clear on the packaging but apparently they didn't get caught up at customs. Was I supposed to pay an import duty?

Which bike did you go for in the end? I need closure!!!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Giant Contend AR 1

Any Giant Contend AR, really, but if you're buying one just get the 1 for the carbon fork + seatpost and the R7000 groupset

It just feels fast, more so than any other bike I've ever rode

The paint job sucks, other than that it's a solid bike.

At some point in time I'll find a better and faster bike to brag about here. It will not be anywhere near as good for the price point as the AR 1 has been for me this year.

Liv, Giant's sister brand, has similar models with nicer paint options IMO, the Liv Avail AR and Devote

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Which bike did you go for in the end? I need closure!!!

I bought a Kickr and power meter pedals but no bike yet. Leaning towards the Orbea or the new Aeroad if it becomes available by the time I purchase, but we are also furnishing a new house so I need to see where the dust settles on my budget.

I told myself I wouldn't buy the new bike until I ride a 100 miler with the old one so that's what I'm waiting on. I've got virtual running events this weekend and next so the riding will pick up again in 2 weeks (probably).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
good news: i fixed my mtb brakes. (oil good air bad)

bad news: its 11am and already 85 and climbing at the coast

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesco is selling Canyon Ultimates now:

Andy Dufresne posted:

I bought a Kickr and power meter pedals but no bike yet. Leaning towards the Orbea or the new Aeroad if it becomes available by the time I purchase, but we are also furnishing a new house so I need to see where the dust settles on my budget.

I told myself I wouldn't buy the new bike until I ride a 100 miler with the old one so that's what I'm waiting on. I've got virtual running events this weekend and next so the riding will pick up again in 2 weeks (probably).

:nod:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Second time on the cliples pedals and I feel more confident clipping in and out.

Also i think my rear derailleur hanger got hosed on my big crash last week so I need to get a new one.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

compressioncut posted:

Brother, the day I had to say goodbye to a beautiful and expensive set of Campy wheels because the brake track wore through was the day I fully bought in to road disc.

That said if you want primo carbonne rim brake wheels for cheap these days, browse any buy/sell group for the dentists and lawyers divesting...
i paid $100 for my durraché carbonara tubs. :cool:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Also i think my rear derailleur hanger got hosed on my big crash last week so I need to get a new one.

Get thee to the repair thread with pics and/or symptoms.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

I hammered around Lake Tahoe today and missed the KOM by 4 minutes, hell of a ride though

https://strava.app.link/n2eN1a3iw9
poo poo dude, good stuff

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Third ride with my clipless shoes and theyre causing pretty bad arch pain, starting to think they're not wide enough.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Third ride with my clipless shoes and theyre causing pretty bad arch pain, starting to think they're not wide enough.

Do you have a Boa dial? I've only ridden on my shoes a few times but I've had to loosen them up along the way.

Apr 7, 2003

They've got Velcro adjustment straps and leave them relatively loose, no luck. Clipping out when I can coast helps. I barely managed fifty miles on relatively level ground.

I don't know if its something I need to adjust to or they're just poorly fitted. I'll ride on Wednesday with the toe clip pedals I used before but the new shoes, to see if the clipped in / out comfort difference lasts for an appreciable amount of time

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
I rode my bike for the first time in months today goons

I forgot how much fun it is

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It may well be your cleat position fyi

mystes
May 31, 2006

I rode my bike today too.

Edit: Oh I thought this was YOSPOS.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

X13Fen posted:

I rode my bike for the first time in months today goons

I forgot how much fun it is

It’s pretty fun not gonna lie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mystes posted:

I rode my bike today too.

Edit: Oh I thought this was YOSPOS.

What do you talk about in Yospos? Is it... bikes?

Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Your Old Schwinn is a Piece Of poo poo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah that's basically it

mystes
May 31, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

50% of the posts in yospos are Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud talking about riding his bike, so yes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Di2 front derailleur noise is jarring as hell to hear from someone else’s bike. I thought they were having some sort of catastrophic failure that was going to send them flying into me

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's a forum for computer professionals but everyone there hates computers and technology from being burnt out at work so we just talk about warhammer, bikes, cats, and how everyone is named James.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sheldon Brown is rolling around in his grave.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

They're epic actually.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rope kid posted:

They're epic actually.

In kilograms :owned:

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I can't afford a $40k+ Colnago Master Pista Futura 2000 Edition so I painted my own

It started life as a Trek Madone that I crashed and cracked the top tube a little bit, so I patched it thinking it would be good enough just to show around once in a while but now it's all I want to ride

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002
I'm looking to get a bike for general fitness and biking to work. I'm looking at the Trek Dual Sport 3. It's in my targeted price range, looks like it does what I want it to do, and their a store nearby that mainly stocks Trek. Do you guys have any other ideas that I should take a look at? I live in California, the bay area.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

superdylan posted:

I can't afford a $40k+ Colnago Master Pista Futura 2000 Edition so I painted my own

It started life as a Trek Madone that I crashed and cracked the top tube a little bit, so I patched it thinking it would be good enough just to show around once in a while but now it's all I want to ride

:eyepop:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Urzza posted:

I'm looking to get a bike for general fitness and biking to work. I'm looking at the Trek Dual Sport 3. It's in my targeted price range, looks like it does what I want it to do, and their a store nearby that mainly stocks Trek. Do you guys have any other ideas that I should take a look at? I live in California, the bay area.

That or an FX 3 Disc if you’re going to end up buying from the local Trek shop. Just be aware that hybrid/fitness bikes in common sizes are probably not in stock anywhere.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Urzza posted:

The suspension fork is kind of superfluous. More weight that it's worth in 95% of on-road conditions.

This is slightly cheaper and gonna be lighter:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/
Only downside is that they choose to spec it with 32mm tires, which is skinnier than the FX can handle and not the cushiest. The shop might be able to swap some 35s on there for you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Get the dualsport and upgrade the fork to a Rockshox Paragon.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My bike got stolen :smith: I lost my Kona Sutra because I was an idiot and left it on my car parked overnight in a hotel parking lot in the central valley while on a road trip. Obviously now I need a new bike since that way my daily driver for 3 years - commuter, bar bike and weekend road bike.

I also just moved from SF to LA and I think I'm going to give up road biking and just do gravel stuff due to where I live and what's easy to get to, so I need some bike recommendations for a gravel bike. I'm a big dude who's not great at climbing and I really liked having a triple (3x9) to have a granny gear to get me up hills, but it seems that a lot of the gravel bikes now are 1x. I don't remember exactly which cassette and chainrings I had so I can't easily calculate, but it seems that there are 1x12s that have as wide a gear range.

So I guess what i'm looking for is recommendations for drop-bar steel gravel bikes with braze-ons in the $2k-3k range, preferably brands that don't sell to law enforcement (so no Kona, Trek et c). Ideas so far have been All-City Nature Cross, Cosmic Stallion or Gorilla Monsoon along with Salsa Journeyman and Vaya. edit: I've always been eyeing the Surly Cross-Check back when I got my first german aluminum cross bike in 2012, and the midnight special is purty too.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My bike shop in Sacramento has a size run of Vaya 105s in purple in stock.
Purple.

They only really clear 50s though.