Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hoo boy, you can smell the blood in the water.

Honestly, I would just like to know the rationale behind this. I always though the rule was that the lockboxes were for alien, civilian, future, and MU ships, which I was fine with since they're all odd ships a "normal" Fed/Klank/Rommie captain in 2410 shouldn't be flying. I can even accept the Connie, since if you have to have a gamblebox Feddie ship, you might as well make it the most iconic one. But the Walker and Inquiry are really stretching the definition of "iconic" ships, since they both only made brief appearances in their respective shows and were established to be mass-produced workhorse classes like the Excelsior and Miranda. If Paramount or PWE are tying your hands, they should just say so; even that explanation would be better than nothing.

"Picard is obviously an alternate timeline from ours, and so these are the parallel universe ships, which of course would be difficult to find since we had/have to kill an entire colony of tholian researchers to get them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hoo boy, you can smell the blood in the water.

Honestly, I would just like to know the rationale behind this. I always though the rule was that the lockboxes were for alien, civilian, future, and MU ships, which I was fine with since they're all odd ships a "normal" Fed/Klank/Rommie captain in 2410 shouldn't be flying. I can even accept the Connie, since if you have to have a gamblebox Feddie ship, you might as well make it the most iconic one. But the Walker and Inquiry are really stretching the definition of "iconic" ships, since they both only made brief appearances in their respective shows and were established to be mass-produced workhorse classes like the Excelsior and Miranda. If Paramount or PWE are tying your hands, they should just say so; even that explanation would be better than nothing.

paramount and pwe tying their hands lmbo

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, got the science ship from Risa, now what to do with it...

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That trait would be pay to win if there was actually content that required a modicum of effort to complete. It's been what, five years since there was something that was maybe kinda sorta hard to do?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nevermind yet another interchangable fed spaceship, when do we get the Ray-Bans from that show as a uniform item?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tunicate posted:

"Picard is obviously an alternate timeline from ours, and so these are the parallel universe ships, which of course would be difficult to find since we had/have to kill an entire colony of tholian researchers to get them."

An alternate timeline where everyone's an idiot rear end in a top hat. Checks out.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

promobox sales used to be rare, like 2-3 times at most per year, now it feels like we already had 10 of them and the year isnt even over

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Spoiler alert: the Daemosh is the *best science ship in the game.

*You should probably get some other traits and stuff but this is a fact

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeJF posted:

I love how blatant the pay-to-win is getting on it too. Not interesting effects, just straight up "it's better"

Lol that's amazing. Not even trying to hide it :allears:

edit: lol that third set bonus is literally "it's better"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just popping in to let y'all know Branflakes did a thing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:raise:

Also don't forget, this is yet another promo ship that's fed-only. Think there's only been... one or two over the past two years that were actually usable by klanks? Year of the Klingon!!

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Asimo posted:

Also don't forget, this is yet another promo ship that's fed-only. Think there's only been... one or two over the past two years that were actually usable by klanks? Year of the Klingon!!

Well, that's your fault for not buying the playable Klingon species for the Federation.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I played this a bit a while back but picked it up again recently and have been enjoying blundering through missions so far. I'd like to get an invite to the goon channel, name is Space Madness@dustbunnies, Fed side.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Year of the less than five percent.

It existed to sell one KDF themed promo pack which already came out. That was the bone thrown to the malnourished dog chained up in the winter rain.

Inside the warm living room near the open fire the fed players feast on fresh roasted P2W ships.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm just enjoying how as a Reman all the dialog has me criticizing the lady commander in the Scimitar for claiming the wormhole for the Republic...aka the armed force I'm actually a member of, with the option to claim it for the Federation.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Heres that blog on the new shippy:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11477813

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

So it's not just a p2w lockbox, it's p2w r&d pack. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The adventures of the USS Pay2win.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Asimo posted:

Nope nope don't ever try to do that since it works the other way around. DOFF packs sold during a promo are effectively a different item (and even have "Promotion!" or whatever in their names so they're easy to search for on the exchange), and packs sold outside a promo window don't have the bonus loving or ship drop chance or whatever. But importantly this is tied to the pack itself and not the time; promo packs keep their special properties outside the promo, and normal (worthless) packs don't gain the special drops during a promo. So that's why packs bought during the promo window wind up being worth a lot more.

To follow up on this; so if I wanted to efficiently convert dil to zen to EC, I would buy promotional DOFF packs during the upcoming event (9/8 - 9/29)? I'm guessing they sell for more during the initial rush? I checked the cheapest ones on the exchange (Infinity) vs. Keys and they were both about 60,400 EC per 1 zen. Also I guess with the 20% discount that makes the DOFF packs more efficient.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The adventures of the USS Pay2win.

gently caress I need to rename some ships that.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress I need to rename some ships that.

put them all on a JemHadar toon and rename him Zen Harder

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teron D Amun posted:

put them all on a JemHadar toon and rename him Zen Harder

This but on a fed named Emergency Credit Card Hologram

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

What they really need to do is offer a premium fleet support power where you can sub in your own p2w ships for the generic ones to further flaunt your wealth.

This would probably actually compel me to log in again

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Trait giveaway time

Anyone need any ground or space traits?
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Infinity_Prize_Pack:_Personal_Trait_(Ground)
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Infinity_Prize_Pack:_Personal_Trait_(Space)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I could use a handful on my numerous alts. @Taerkar

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I could use some traits,

Kyros@dictatorhat#7526

If I could get Inspirational Leader, Anchored, and Photonic Reinforcement that'd be great! Thank you!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stonewalljack posted:

To follow up on this; so if I wanted to efficiently convert dil to zen to EC, I would buy promotional DOFF packs during the upcoming event (9/8 - 9/29)? I'm guessing they sell for more during the initial rush? I checked the cheapest ones on the exchange (Infinity) vs. Keys and they were both about 60,400 EC per 1 zen. Also I guess with the 20% discount that makes the DOFF packs more efficient.
It used to be that the best thing was to buy them on sale, then wait awhile. Cryptic used to go months between promo ships, so the price would start going up as supply went down. But lately there's a promo ship and promo pack sale every other month at least, so I doubt that still applies.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Thanks so much for offering! I just started trying to build my first sci build. I would definitely take an unconventional systems, and if you are giving more away, a psychological warfare and terran targeting systems. @stonewalljack#6694

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

lol

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Ghosts! posted:

I played this a bit a while back but picked it up again recently and have been enjoying blundering through missions so far. I'd like to get an invite to the goon channel, name is Space Madness@dustbunnies, Fed side.

It turns out that I am actually named Space Madness@dustbunnnies and didn't realize that there were three n's. Whoops!

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Taerkar posted:

I could use a handful on my numerous alts. @Taerkar

Any specific traits you'd like? Check out the links in my previous post to see what you want.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Could I get A Good Day to Die (Space)?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rx King posted:

Any specific traits you'd like? Check out the links in my previous post to see what you want.

Into the Breach and Adaptive Offense.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Ghosts! posted:

It turns out that I am actually named Space Madness@dustbunnnies and didn't realize that there were three n's. Whoops!

Invite has been sent

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

since the last time I played this in earnest I made a dramatic career change from foodservice to signmaking, and I ended up spending like 15 minutes reexamining this ingame:

I am really impressed at how much work went into making this look as proper as it does, and kind of surprised.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Trebuchet King posted:

since the last time I played this in earnest I made a dramatic career change from foodservice to signmaking, and I ended up spending like 15 minutes reexamining this ingame:

I am really impressed at how much work went into making this look as proper as it does, and kind of surprised.
The environment and ship artists they have right now are legit really good, and care about the game and Star Trek in general. The current problems all stem from much higher up in the company structure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also I'm pretty sure new ESD had, like, an order of magnitude more care put into it than most things in the game. It was really kinda their high point of their design.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I remember being impressed when it first came out, but now that I literally know how you would go about making that kind of sign in real life the attention to detail is just...I'm not sure how to put it, but it's obvious someone cared?

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Meanwhile, shatner replied to Rahhmi

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1302629747466199041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

OGS-Remix posted:

Could I get A Good Day to Die (Space)?

Need your @handle so I can mail it to ya.