Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a co-worker who refuses to buy games because he's got the game pass. "Len Playstation sucks because it doesn't have the game pass and you have to buy games, when you gonna buy an xbox?"

"Len PS5 is gonna be poo poo because you won't be able to use any of your PS4 peripherals"

Christ dude you're 50 stop being a console warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Playstation does have a gamepass service though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Also the Sony library kicks the crap out of anything on the XBone, please forcefeed your coworker an XBox controller immediately

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I will say that the Xbox controller is a lot better than the PlayStation controller, which would be a perfectly fine controller but every gen manages to gently caress something up. Pressure buttons on the PS2, convex thumb sticks on the PS3, and the touchpad absolutely destroying battery life on the PS4.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

They went from adding like 12 games a month to adding only 3 or 4 :mad:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also the Sony library kicks the crap out of anything on the XBone, please forcefeed your coworker an XBox controller immediately

...With the exception that you can pick Xbox One S for a song and dance from a retail store, especially if they throw in a local discounts of any sort. And while the exclusives are better they are not *that* much considering the entire library of stuff that's about to become 5-10-15-20e previous-gen stuff.

I picked mine a couple of years ago for something stupid like 160e bundled with the Shadow of War; I really didn't even plan that purchase, I mostly needed a Bluray and DVD player because my PS3 was starting show signs of dying.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Rags to Liches posted:

They went from adding like 12 games a month to adding only 3 or 4 :mad:

Theres also PSNow which has probably hundreds of downloadable PS4 games.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I liked Horizon because it gates little to none of its side-content or mechanics behind the story, after the prologue. When you finish the seventh mission the world's your oyster and you can spend thirty hours ignoring the plot before running out of things to do.

What are games with the opposite. Where it's supposed to be a sandbox but just about every activity or diversion is held hostage by a tepid main campaign? The thought occurred to me when watching a video essay on Days Gone. The reviewer said "This is an open world, sure, but I spent most of the game feeling trapped in a linear tube with a Netflix original series."

I haven't played Days Gone but the protagonist is a biker who's over thirty years old and he wears a ball-cap backwards. He even wears it at his wedding.

Not quite what you're looking for but in Skyrim shouts are locked behind the main quest that also unleashes giant cliffracers onto the map. So I always feel like I have to choose between getting to enjoy the shouts or having to put them off so I can enjoy the map. And if I decide to put off the main quest then all those dragon walls are just useless, deleting a lot of the more interesting exploration rewards until I decide to advance the main quest again.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Sep 6, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Isn’t there a mod that switches the dragon raids off? I refuseto play skyrim without the mod that turns off the Vampire raids, they drive me nuts.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gerblyn posted:

Isn’t there a mod that switches the dragon raids off? I refuseto play skyrim without the mod that turns off the Vampire raids, they drive me nuts.

There's one that makes all the non-guard NPCs go inside instead of die horrible deaths when dragons/vampires attack, which isn't perfect but it does help.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The lab in Sapienza in Hitman 2016 drags the level down. There aren't enough options for how to complete it, what options there are are fairly similar, and since you'll naturally do it at the end of the level each attempt feel samey even if the actual assassinations were different.

Same,better to just shoot it from a distance.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

WaltherFeng posted:

Theres also PSNow which has probably hundreds of downloadable PS4 games.

I like PSNow a lot, even though they cut back on how much they add per month. It's a good way to play PS4 games that I would never pay full price for

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Wii U has the slowest menus I've ever seen on a console. And having to have that gigantic ugly gamepad with its lovely screen around all the time is a pain. This thing sucks. Why can't they just port Wind Waker HD to Switch already?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

1. I remember I never beat Resident Evil 4 on professional difficulty.
2. Later on, I buy Resident Evil 4 on a new console.
3. I beat Resident Evil 4 on normal and unlock professional.
4. I think I'll come back to play professional.

Repeat from step 1 until the end of time.

I wish they had a button code to unlock the difficulty for people who have played it before.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wish they had a button code to unlock the difficulty for people who have played it before.

yeah ive always hated this. i played all of Resistance and Uncharted on the PS3 through Superhuman and Crushing difficulties repsectively, but i no longer have the save files and you have to beat the game once to unlock them. it's... demotivating and i'd rather just play a game that has all games unlocked from the getgo, like Halo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of difficulty modes, there's zero excuse for beating a game in a difficulty mode not giving the trophies/achievements for beating the game on every easier difficulty mode.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Speaking of difficulty modes, there's zero excuse for beating a game in a difficulty mode not giving the trophies/achievements for beating the game on every easier difficulty mode.

Yeah that's some incredible bullshit.

In general, I think games should not have any kind of restrictions on difficulty modes. Don't make people unlock hard if they want to play on hard. Don't make people die to unlock easy. If you want to punish yourself and unlock everything in one go, you should have the option.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For that matter, don't put super exclusive secret endings or other bullshit locked behind higher difficulty modes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The only argument against giving people hard mode off the rip is to prevent people from slamming down hard difficulty and then going "Nier Automata is impossible and bullshit" because they can't beat the tutorial.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bring back inputting the konami code on the main menu to unlock hard mode from the start.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every game should just throw you at the final boss 20 minutes in regardless. If you're so good at video games, then beat it right now, scrub.

DMC V rules and every game should follow its example.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

The only argument against giving people hard mode off the rip is to prevent people from slamming down hard difficulty and then going "Nier Automata is impossible and bullshit" because they can't beat the tutorial.

That’s why you include the “are you sure you wouldn’t prefer li’l baby bitch mode?”

Although personally that only makes me continue on hard out of spite

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gamepass has much better quality of monthly additions, in addition to Microsofts first party and being useable locally on PC instead of requiring streaming.

christmas boots posted:

That’s why you include the “are you sure you wouldn’t prefer li’l baby bitch mode?”

Although personally that only makes me continue on hard out of spite

Im told by devs that this is exactly what happens, any suggestion to lower the difficulty is met with the fury of 10,000 suns by players.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

Gamepass has much better quality of monthly additions, in addition to Microsofts first party and being useable locally on PC instead of requiring streaming.

Im told by devs that this is exactly what happens, any suggestion to lower the difficulty is met with the fury of 10,000 suns by players.

I usually get it in response to environmental things that aren't affected by difficulty which is infuriating. "You've fallen off this platform 20 times do you want to go to easy mode?" No, because that's not going to make me suddenly good at jumping.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I usually get it in response to environmental things that aren't affected by difficulty which is infuriating. "You've fallen off this platform 20 times do you want to go to easy mode?" No, because that's not going to make me suddenly good at jumping.

Yeah, thats another thing. Theres a brutal part of Onimusha where you are stalked by an enemy that kills you in one hit and must complete a sliding box puzzle under a very strict timelimit then runaway more from said enemy before you can save. Lowering the difficulty does absolutely nothing to help you with either of these things but itll keep asking yoi.

Dewgy posted:

Got a link for this? That sounds extremely neat.

Its called Super Mario Sunburn

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Barudak posted:

This is why the Soulsborne games got more difficult as the series went on, and why Elden Ring will have a seventeen-phase boss fight that will take you four days to beat, but due to the sunk cost fallacy you will love it afterwards.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Control is a really great game but man I wish Jesse was like 10% more resistant to damage. Not even a substantial increase, just... something higher than it is right now. I always end fights with either full health because I didn't get hit, or like 1/3rd of my health because I got shot maybe twice or ate one rocket. Increasing your max health doesn't really help with this either, because enemy damage is tied to their level and so it slowly climbs as the game goes on no matter what.

It's only just been patched into the game, but there's now an Assist Mode in the gameplay menu that can be turned on - so you can do exactly this if you want. Totally optional and customisable, doesn't disable anything else.

Patch notes posted:

You can now influence how fast Jesse’s energy regenerates, how soon the Service Weapon reloads itself, how much damage Jesse takes from enemies, how much damage she deals, and if she can die in combat. Assist Mode also has features to help you with aiming, including a brand new feature called Aim Snap, where your aim automatically snaps to the target without the need to move the camera. Assist Mode features can be adjusted in the Options menu.

Danger - Octopus! has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Sep 7, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

bony tony posted:

This is why the Soulsborne games got more difficult as the series went on, and why Elden Ring will have a seventeen-phase boss fight that will take you four days to beat, but due to the sunk cost fallacy you will love it afterwards.

Or the darkest dungeon problem where all the early access players knew how to min/max so the devs made it harder. By the time it was released it was insanely tough.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition the other day and have been plugging away at it. I've seen a lot of complaints about the game in this thread over the years, but I swear I've never seen anyone complain about the most petty thing that really brings the whole experience down: enemies have way too loving much health on any difficulty level. It doesn't matter if it's Casual or Hardcore or whatever the highest difficulty level is, each random enemy encounter takes ages to whittle down. People say "oh just flank the enemy" but it does not matter from which direction I'm attacking enemies... each arrow I shoot takes off so little health that I don't actually think it budges their health bar in a meaningful way.

I never finished Origins, but I swear I remember that game had fast and incredibly deadly combat all around. This combat is so boring and slow paced that it's making everything else worse by comparison.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DoubleNegative posted:

I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition the other day

Did you get the gently caress out of the Hinterlands as soon as you were able to? The game doesn't make this very clear but your first quest is to go there and do something very early on, and then immediately unlocks some other areas.

You might think "well I'm already in the Hinterlands, maybe I should stick around a while" but this is an incredibly wrong thought to have - doing the stuff elsewhere will both unlock more party members, as well as unlock more recruitable people in the Hinterlands.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Or the darkest dungeon problem where all the early access players knew how to min/max so the devs made it harder. By the time it was released it was insanely tough.

one of the things I appreciate about FTL/Into The Breach is that while there's one of those progressively-unlock-things-for-new-runs roguelite things going on, when you unlock a new ship or mecha squad, they're generally quirkier and harder to use than the starting ones.

It avoids the annoying thing where beating the game makes the game easier.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Sep 7, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I wouldn't say it's a fast strategy or one that saves the world particularly well but drat is it fun to set the whole world on fire

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

bewilderment posted:

Did you get the gently caress out of the Hinterlands as soon as you were able to? The game doesn't make this very clear but your first quest is to go there and do something very early on, and then immediately unlocks some other areas.

You might think "well I'm already in the Hinterlands, maybe I should stick around a while" but this is an incredibly wrong thought to have - doing the stuff elsewhere will both unlock more party members, as well as unlock more recruitable people in the Hinterlands.

I stuck around for a little bit, but have since left to pick up many other party members. Still doing the usual open world "delay doing the story as much as possible" thing, but I at least have Iron Bull, Vivienne, and that Warden Guy now. And Sera I guess. But the party already has too many archers so she can warm the bench next to Varric

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ilmucche posted:

I wouldn't say it's a fast strategy or one that saves the world particularly well but drat is it fun to set the whole world on fire

Could you just stop it with the gender reveal parties, for crying out loud?! :arghfist:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m probably one of like three people that care about this, but it’s annoying: the Switch supports multiple users really well, and a lot of games in the library support myriad languages. This, by nature, means that the extra language is baked into the cartridge or the installation files. And yet, a lot of games just key off of the system-wide language setting, instead of letting you change it in-game, or even basing it off of an individual user profile region! It’s a huge pain in the rear end for basically no reason if you want to play something in different languages on different profiles.

Like I said, I think I’m probably close to alone in this annoyance, but it really stands out when text-heavy first party stuff like Pokémon Sw/Sh have profile-based languages instead.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

(Marvel's Avengers) Not allowing multiple players to use the same character is a poor choice when every character levels up and acquires loot separately

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Sep 8, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've got like a weird video game confession I need to scream into the void and it's that genuinely no game in the world bores me more than Doom. I'm really, really tired of hearing about how people can play it on toasters and fridges and it's not really funny seeing the same reddit post shared a thousand times as people jerk themselves raw over how hilarious it is that someone managed to get doom working on an aibo this time. Rip and tear, and that entire memetic doom comic as a whole, was funny for a bit, but it's been run into the ground so hard I feel like I die a little every time another game or series references it and like, I could keep going on and it just comes down to "let people enjoy things" and poo poo, but god drat. I'm really tired of Doom. There isn't even anything wrong with the games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

(Marvel's Avengers) Not allowing multiple players to use the same character is a poor choice when every character levels up and acquires loot separately

Generally speaking I really don't like it when games don't let you use multiples of the same character. I get why, in many cases, especially if it's a character based game like various left 4 dead style co-op survival games. But no one ever likes joining a game to find the character you like most, or simply wanted to play that session, taken. Even if you have a cool second character you don't mind playing as, it's lame to have that choice taken out of your hand.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

So I've got like a weird video game confession I need to scream into the void and it's that genuinely no game in the world bores me more than Doom. I'm really, really tired of hearing about how people can play it on toasters and fridges and it's not really funny seeing the same reddit post shared a thousand times as people jerk themselves raw over how hilarious it is that someone managed to get doom working on an aibo this time. Rip and tear, and that entire memetic doom comic as a whole, was funny for a bit, but it's been run into the ground so hard I feel like I die a little every time another game or series references it and like, I could keep going on and it just comes down to "let people enjoy things" and poo poo, but god drat. I'm really tired of Doom. There isn't even anything wrong with the games.

Something interesting I've learned about Doom ports from Stop Skeletons From Fighting that counts as a thing dragging it down: none of the official ports have been perfect ports. Contemporary ports that makes sense about, Doom pressed both hardware and workload limitations in different ways, so every port ended up wildly different, but it's also true about modern ports; even putting aside the Bethesda account badgering in last year's ports (that's been patched out thankfully), every port since the one bundled with later releases of Doom 3 has been the same one, which has suffered from being 'just bad enough to gently caress with you' slower than the original. It might be the game with the most official ports in the world, yet somehow it's never gotten a perfect one.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that, somewhere out in that world of 'I got Doom to run on a pregnancy test', someone's managed a better port than Id have.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Sep 8, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the things I've always appreciated about Doom is that everything serves a purpose, and nothing else in the enemy/weapon roster serves that same purpose.

- Zombieman: Generally useless after the first few levels, but are meant to wander around the level to create dynamic fights like living entities
- Sergeant: Surprisingly dangerous in groups so they are intentionally peppered into encounters sparingly for variety and to add target priority
- Imp: Fires a projectile the player can dodge, adding extra interaction and making the enemy temporarily still dangerous after it dies
- Pinky: Body blocks the player in tight hallways and must be killed first as it rushes forward, allowing enemies behind it to swarm
- Spectre: Takes advantage of the game's lighting to ambush players in dark/cramped spaces and put immediate pressure on them
- Lost Soul: Low health and high stagger means it dies in only a few shots, but it charges fast and straight, making it a bit of a reaction time test
- Cacodemon: Floats and shoots from above other enemies, meaning it doesn't have to be placed on a high ledge/platform to shoot over a crowd

I think one of the reasons Doom is treated with such reverence and ported to everything just for fun is because it is an absolute technological marvel. It is an exercise in extremely efficient use of space and design. Absolutely nothing in that game is wasted because they just didn't have the RAM, or VRAM, or file space, you name it to spare for fluff. Doom was created to run on the most primitive operating systems at the time and it did at 35 fps which was almost unheard of for affordable consumer level tech. It's a living example of how the Small Team With A Dream can make something that becomes a cornerstone of gaming history and I think that's why a lot of indie developers look up to Id and folks like Johns Carmack and Romero.

edit: And yeah the gameplay of the original Doom is very simple but imo that's part of what's so special about it. The game was initially envisioned with RPG mechanics like in Hexen or Heretic, different classes and characters with strengths and disadvantages. But it didn't need those things, so they got rid of em. This design doc would be brought up again later for the development Quake and then nixed a second time. It coasts on the only things it needed to have: Guns to shoot, and enemies to shoot at with them in interesting and complex spaces.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

same but for like anything that gets any amount of popular recognition

I've resolved to no longer let people enjoy things, cause gently caress people, they don't deserve it