Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

*slamming fork and knife into table*
BIG METAL BOAT BIG METAL BOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
woke up early to take a paddle (and fish of course)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Took the new (to me) Predator out Tuesday and had a nice adventure. Manatee came up to visit and already had me bobbling, at which point two assholes on jetskis decided to buzz me at full speed about 30' away (in a no wake zone. Because manatees.) which rolled me.

Not a huge deal, everything was tethered (except the anchor, rip). When I rolled it back, apparently I grabbed the tether my phone bag was on and it both was not strong or buoyant as claimed.

So...expensive day, but still better than a day not on the water.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jetskis are the assholes of the water. :hai:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

Jetskis are the assholes of the water. :hai:

They're so loving bad here.

Its not very nice of me, but gently caress I love watching one fly across the flats and beach it. Nothing beats watching one of those fucks fly through the air, triple points for no PFD and music playing so loud it covers up airboats.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Water skiers go into the huge open empty part of the lake instead of along the shoreline where people are swimming, paddling, and relaxing challenge

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This is my boat, The Aluminium Falcon. It’s a 1973 Grumman whitewater. Attached is a 1973 Mariner 2. It’ll do about 5mph loaded as such, and just carried my son and I across a good bit of the Voyageurs National Park. We also towed behind a kayak with my daughter in it.

Exciting boat video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqeYWSfBS_Q

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 8, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Did some yak camping in the northern Cascades with a friend last weekend.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That looks amazing, especially that last pic

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
First two are Ross lake. The second is Diablo. The glacial sediment makes the water emerald green.
As expected, the day we left was the day with no wind. The water was perfect and glassy.
Here's Diablo from the overlook on WA-20

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
So I've basically got a decision to make between a pair of tandem yaks for me and the 3 kiddos or a pair of canoes. The canoes seem to be more practical from a on the water perspective. More weight capacity and maybe a bit more room certainly stands out as a huge bonus. The yaks seem to stand out from a portability perspective. Should be easier to rack those things on the truck. Anyone got any strong opinions one way or the other before I pull the trigger?

EDIT: Should mention this will be primarily for fishing

Syano fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 14, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What kind of kayaks? You said tandem, but are they sit on or sit in? Fishing kayaks are usually sit on, and wider for more stability. They also tend to have higher weight capacity than standard kayaks, and more storage space. Unless it's a fishing kayak, it'd also be easier to put a trolling motor on the canoe (if you're considering that for the future).
If they're standard kayaks, I'd go with the canoes. The only issue being loading both on a vehicle, but with the right equipment it's doable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syano posted:

So I've basically got a decision to make between a pair of tandem yaks for me and the 3 kiddos or a pair of canoes. The canoes seem to be more practical from a on the water perspective. More weight capacity and maybe a bit more room certainly stands out as a huge bonus. The yaks seem to stand out from a portability perspective. Should be easier to rack those things on the truck. Anyone got any strong opinions one way or the other before I pull the trigger?

EDIT: Should mention this will be primarily for fishing

2 canoes 1 vehicle would be trailer territory for me.
Don't know how strong your kids are, but there are a bunch of tandem sit on top kayaks popping up these days and one of them is almost certainly lighter than a 15-17' canoe. Plus, a sit on top kayak is much more manageable in a capsize than a canoe is.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Yes they are fishing Kayaks. Im eyeing specifically the Brooklyn kayaks brand fishing tandems. I can get those or a solid canoe for about the same price. Kids are not super strong yet so thats certainly an issue with loading and unloading

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syano posted:

Yes they are fishing Kayaks. Im eyeing specifically the Brooklyn kayaks brand fishing tandems. I can get those or a solid canoe for about the same price. Kids are not super strong yet so thats certainly an issue with loading and unloading

Hm, those Brooklyn 12.5' fishing tandems are actually not that much lighter (68-74#) than Royalex or polyethylene canoes in the 14-16' range (75-80#). While the kayaks are still less likely to sink if there's a capsize, a 14' canoe is way more versatile in that storage space is just one giant hull, you can move around and trade seats out on the water, pee off the side, bow person can turn around in their seat and paddle the thing solo or access the middle space, you can throw a cooler or lawn chair in for a third person, handle a dog, etc etc. Plus, when it's in storage, you can put all your paddling stuff, straps, pfds, etc inside the canoe. One person can portage a canoe easier than they could a tandem sit on top kayak. There's a reason canoes are still being made and sold without many changes to their design alongside the rapid development of kayaks. I've got an Old Town Guide 160 and while it's a bit hefty at 80#, I can still do all the loading, unloading, transporting by myself and then at the lake we can just chuck all our poo poo into it plus the kid and dogs and sort things out as we go. That would be impossible with a tandem kayak of the same size and length. Plus, a canoe can hold a ridiculous amount of weight.

Maybe get one of each and return the one you don't like? Rent one of each a few times?

With regard to transport, I got sick of dealing with the canoe on the roof of the truck and got one of these and I love it. While it wouldn't do two canoes, I tossed the canoe, a solo kayak, and a paddleboard on it a couple weeks ago and it was great.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 14, 2020

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

With regard to transport, I got sick of dealing with the canoe on the roof of the truck and got one of these and I love it. While it wouldn't do two canoes, I tossed the canoe, a solo kayak, and a paddleboard on it a couple weeks ago and it was great.

I keep meaning to get one of those. I have a long box for my truck, but that still looks nice. How'd you load it? Paddleboard strapped on top of the kayak?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pumped up for school posted:

I keep meaning to get one of those. I have a long box for my truck, but that still looks nice. How'd you load it? Paddleboard strapped on top of the kayak?

Sort of, canoe down the center, upside down, strapped at 3 points on the boat to 2 points each on the truck bed and bed extender. Kayak upside down on top/one side of the canoe, board done similarly on the other side. It was a big ugly package, but solid.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hm, those Brooklyn 12.5' fishing tandems are actually not that much lighter (68-74#) than Royalex or polyethylene canoes in the 14-16' range (75-80#). While the kayaks are still less likely to sink if there's a capsize, a 14' canoe is way more versatile in that storage space is just one giant hull, you can move around and trade seats out on the water, pee off the side, bow person can turn around in their seat and paddle the thing solo or access the middle space, you can throw a cooler or lawn chair in for a third person, handle a dog, etc etc. Plus, when it's in storage, you can put all your paddling stuff, straps, pfds, etc inside the canoe. One person can portage a canoe easier than they could a tandem sit on top kayak. There's a reason canoes are still being made and sold without many changes to their design alongside the rapid development of kayaks. I've got an Old Town Guide 150 and while it's a bit hefty at 80#, I can still do all the loading, unloading, transporting by myself and then at the lake we can just chuck all our poo poo into it plus the kid and dogs and sort things out as we go. That would be impossible with a tandem kayak of the same size and length. Plus, a canoe can hold a ridiculous amount of weight.

Maybe get one of each and return the one you don't like? Rent one of each a few times?

Got any opinions on the the flat bottoms vs shallow arch?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syano posted:

Got any opinions on the the flat bottoms vs shallow arch?

They each have their advantages. Right now I have a flat bottom because it's for carrying dogs, kids, and fishing out of. I only use it on flat water, so I don't have a lot of need for quick maneuverability. It's got a ton of primary stability, so I can walk around in it and if the dogs get freaked out they won't capsize, same for the kid.

Any speed and efficiency benefits that a shallow arch have over a flat bottom would be lost on kids. If you're in it with a kid and suddenly get stuck doing both the power and steering, they're a little bit less of a hassle.

Which canoes are you looking at?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The old towns were the ones I was comparing against the Brooklyn Kayaks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syano posted:

The old towns were the ones I was comparing against the Brooklyn Kayaks.

Well that's convenient, because I was too.

I love my Guide 160. As stated, they are not small, but I guess they're not that much heavier at least than the Brooklyn kayaks. I'm thinking about trying to trade down to a 147 if I can but won't be upset if I can't or end up not doing it. The Guide series has a flat bottom, minor keel, and chines to account for the lost secondary stability. I don't know how much they actually help, but I've never come close to capsizing. Apparently, if you really load em down they can get tippy. If you want to do that, or camp out of them, the Discovery series is a solid boat too. The Disco 169 is like the long-bed F250 of canoes, it'll carry a shitload of cargo and be pretty comfortable while doing it, if slow. It's the go-to livery boat where I'm from. They handle lakes just fine but also rivers. You can get gently used Old Town boats for $400-600 in my area, the caveat being that they're so ubiquitous it might take a bit to find one that's not abused.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What area of the country is that?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syano posted:

What area of the country is that?

From Arkansas, currently in front range Colorado.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What are the seats like in the canoes? I've hated the canoe fishing I've done because the seats had no backs and my lower back was sore after 45 minutes. I also found them a lot less stable than any kayak which was pretty annoying for reaching around for gear. These weren't canoes meant for fishing though.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder the same. Considering just throwing some Jon boat seats on the canoes

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm sure the kids won't care but last time I went canoe fishing my back was screaming. I have a computer man body though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Me and my wife (who...might have the thread book marked? Hey!) took the SUPs out for some Missouri lake paddling today.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Patagooch pimping some sweet water and working to rally us for conservation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_69AnAg1Y

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The whole Kayak vs Canoe thing is almost a moot point at the moment. Kayaks are almost non-existent at the moment. Like everywhere. Its insane

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

The whole Kayak vs Canoe thing is almost a moot point at the moment. Kayaks are almost non-existent at the moment. Like everywhere. Its insane

On that note if you live where it gets cold and can think of anything you may want to buy for the winter (indoor exercise equipment, good jackets and accessories, boots, ice skates, etc) now is the time because that poo poo is gonna be gone by December. I just bought an insanely warm hat so I can spend more time outside this year.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's probably a hot tip.
I really hope to get a decent yak for fishing next year. The shortage is probably a blessing in disguise, or I'd have impulse bought something subpar just because it was in stock. Trying to reframe my lust as extra time to save and research. Trying really, really hard.

A budget of $800 or so will open lots of options; I keep telling myself a good portion of the people who bought this year will be trying to clear garages out next year.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Based on the advice in this thread to get 3 beater kayaks for the boys and a nicer one for me, I pulled the trigger this morning on 3 x 9ft Brooklyn Kayak sit-on-tops. They actually don't look too much like beaters and Brooklyn Kayak is one of the scant few places right now even accepting online orders, even though they say they are backordered 6-8 weeks. At any rate, I don't think the price of entry was too high to see if we enjoy being out on the water in yaks (how could we not) and I think they will sell easily if I need to upgrade one day. I think I'll pull the trigger on Bonafide for myself.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Anyone ever have to repair a Kayak hull? I've found a great deal on an ATAK 140 but the hull was damaged and has been repaired. Does that mean it's as good as new or will it never be the same?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Syano posted:

Anyone ever have to repair a Kayak hull? I've found a great deal on an ATAK 140 but the hull was damaged and has been repaired. Does that mean it's as good as new or will it never be the same?

How does one repair a Roto-Molded kayak? I get how to do repairs on fiberglass/carbon fiber, but I don't know what you do with the molded stuff.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

How does one repair a Roto-Molded kayak? I get how to do repairs on fiberglass/carbon fiber, but I don't know what you do with the molded stuff.

It can be welded. I've used a plastic welder before (not on a kayak), it's like a hair drier meets a soldering iron. You use a rod of plastic stock, preheat the tool (with proper air flow), and slowly fuse the two sides and new rod together.

Edit : a guide from Perception Kayaks on repair - https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/sites/default/files/images/products/Polyethylene_Repair_Guide.pdf

Yooper fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 2, 2020

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm looking for an extra PFD, and been looking at REI since I have nothing else to use coupons. All the outlet stuff is XXL (I'm a tall / large) so I guess it doesn't matter where it comes from.

I haven't bought one in 10 years, so if there's any good recommendations I'd love to hear yours.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pumped up for school posted:

I'm looking for an extra PFD, and been looking at REI since I have nothing else to use coupons. All the outlet stuff is XXL (I'm a tall / large) so I guess it doesn't matter where it comes from.

I haven't bought one in 10 years, so if there's any good recommendations I'd love to hear yours.

I love NRS, I have an older Ninja pfd. It’s one you slip over the head, buckle two on the right side, and cinch up. So not convenient if you’re in and out a bunch, but it’s super low profile for a type 3. I wear mine for 6-10 hours at a time a lot in the desert in the summer on rafts. Works well with kayak seats. It’s designed to be 100% out of the way for paddling and rowing and I found that to be true, your sides and shoulders are entirely open because the floatation is a triangular block on your chest and on your upper back. My work demands a lot of mobility on boats of all kinds in all seasons, and it works perfectly for me whether I’m shirtless or layered up with a raincoat and waders on. I swim in it a lot and it’s easy to do. At rest in the water, you have to maintain a little bit to stay upright, but not much. I’m 5’10, 160#, and wear a M/L. I just got one for one of my techs, he’s ~6’2”, 210# and seemed to like it for a week long river trip. Check NRS.com, they usually have a few on clearance and the bigger sizes are usually discounted the most.

I used to wear an Xtrasport, I forget the model. Zipped up the chest. They’re generally good and a bit cheaper than NRS. A bunch of my colleagues who do way more white water boating than me use Stohlquist as well as NRS. They tend to be a little pricier but have some nicer perks.

If you’re going to use yours a lot, be wary of zippers. Pfd zippers are big and beefy and plastic but they are still probably going to be the thing that fails first. Sometimes that failure manifests in “oh poo poo I can’t get this thing off,” which is a pain in the rear end. If it won’t see sand or silt, or much dirty water, it’ll last longer. If you do get one with a zipper, rinse the zipper after every use and occasionally scrub it down with bar soap and don’t wash it off. That will extend the life of it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

quote:

Sometimes that failure manifests in “oh poo poo I can’t get this thing off,”
This has happened to me more than once. Once I got into a full panic and cut myself out.

Defintely looking at side buckles now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seconding NRS. I have a previous model NRS Ion and it's super comfortable. I can wear it 6+ hours paddling and still be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
I have an NRS Chinook, it’s comfy to wear for long periods of time and has the exact same storage and attachment point setup as my trout fishing vest, which makes it easy for me to swap back and forth.